PvP Sucks

Bar-Da-Voya

Love these weeks when arenas are a GS objective. All the trash players queuing for arenas in horrible gear who don't know how to play their spec. If you don't group up with good players you get matched with the bad ones over and over again due to the horrible matchmaking algorithm which the devs won't adjust because they think a quick queue is better than a good balanced match. 99% of the time the match is determined before it even starts due to the brutally unbalanced matchmaking hidden elo pile of you know what.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bar-Da-Voya said:

If you don't group up with good players you get matched with the bad ones over and over again due to the horrible matchmaking algorithm which the devs won't adjust because they think a quick queue is better than a good balanced match.

Yes and no, 

I'd say the reason why everyone gets put on bad teams, is because all the good SWTOR PVP'ers, The veterans left this game. 

There is no reason for them to do PVP, PVP Seasons does not fill that itch. 

I'm not going to go in depth, but this Forum post really goes into the depth on why PVP is a trash fire.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2023 at 6:06 PM, SentinalMasterWW said:

Yes and no, 

I'd say the reason why everyone gets put on bad teams, is because all the good SWTOR PVP'ers, The veterans left this game. 

There is no reason for them to do PVP, PVP Seasons does not fill that itch. 

I'm not going to go in depth, but this Forum post really goes into the depth on why PVP is a trash fire.

The devs use the ranked elo system for the hidden mmr i'm pretty sure. So essentially when you're a good player, the game actively punishes you for being a good player by giving you the garbage global bait players thinking you can carry them. So a high win to loss ratio=harder games and harder carries in Arenas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Xerekfell said:

The devs use the ranked elo system for the hidden mmr i'm pretty sure. So essentially when you're a good player, the game actively punishes you for being a good player by giving you the garbage global bait players thinking you can carry them. So a high win to loss ratio=harder games and harder carries in Arenas.

which only encourages good players to grp together and destroy pugs. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Xerekfell said:

Yes, I’m sure this is what happens to me as well. And while you can sometimes carry a WZ team, it’s much harder to carry an Arena team of bads. Because you’re essentially 1v3/4 at the end as your guys crumble. And unless the other team is truely horrible, that’s a likely loss.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xerekfell said:

2 hours ago, krackcommando said:

which only encourages good players to grp together and destroy pugs. 😄

to be fair, though, arena MM is currently so bad that I don't think it would matter. I cannot emphasize enough the fact that I'm at 53% win rate, I'm in a queue of only about 10 players. I know for a fact that we're all solo queued. and I end up with the 2 players wearing 318 and 324 gear who get obliterated in 4 gcd while the other team is fully geared and are regulars in arenas. I don't mean to say that anyone in the match is a gold flair or anything. but holy heck. something is really wrong here. it's not like that 318 is a gold player. he gets erased almost immediately.

this is a regular occurrence. but I can only observe it late night when the queue is small so that I know who is in the queue. it's just mind blowing in its ineptitude. you could almost shake the same 8 pugs in a bag and get a better distribution of skill and ilvl. I know the ELO kicks in pretty hard around 65% win rate (or thereabouts). but holy heck is it bad for the majority. 😄

23 minutes ago, krackcommando said:

to be fair, though, arena MM is currently so bad that I don't think it would matter. I cannot emphasize enough the fact that I'm at 53% win rate, I'm in a queue of only about 10 players. I know for a fact that we're all solo queued. and I end up with the 2 players wearing 318 and 324 gear who get obliterated in 4 gcd while the other team is fully geared and are regulars in arenas. I don't mean to say that anyone in the match is a gold flair or anything. but holy heck. something is really wrong here. it's not like that 318 is a gold player. he gets erased almost immediately.

this is a regular occurrence. but I can only observe it late night when the queue is small so that I know who is in the queue. it's just mind blowing in its ineptitude. you could almost shake the same 8 pugs in a bag and get a better distribution of skill and ilvl. I know the ELO kicks in pretty hard around 65% win rate (or thereabouts). but holy heck is it bad for the majority. 😄

Yep, it’s when there are less players in queue that it really stands out. With less players you get the same people nearly every match. You get to know their gear lvls & skill lvl. So it’s actually pretty easy to see just how broken the MM really is under those conditions. 

But if you play when there are a lot more people queuing, it’s harder to know if it’s the MM or just not enough of the right people in the queue hitting accept when it pops. 

After playing at low pop times with less players for years & now playing at higher pop times with more players on APAC. I’m still convinced the MM is terribly broken.

Because yesterday, in about 16 Arena matches, it tried to get me to carry whole teams of lvl 10-15’s against whole teams of lvl 40-44’s & I was only lvl 22. My teams mostly didn’t even have relics, ear or implants yet. Some didn’t even have armor slots filled. But some on the other team at lvl 40+ had all blue/purple gear. And yes I know it’s lowbies & no they weren’t premade. 

This is just an example of what MM does in lowbies & I’ve had similar experience in mids on the APAC server. By the way, that character of mine has a 2-17 win/loss ratio in arena because of the stupid MM. But has a 14-3 win/loss ratio in WZ. I can only assume the matchmaking algorithm is exactly the same one used at lvl 80. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I agree matchmaking is broken. elo is broken. All I would ask is balanced matches, especially arenas. Don't have the queue pop until both teams are fairly balanced. That means no healer on one team and tank on the other. That means gear rating should average about the same on each team - no fully geared team vs 1-2 people who are working on gear. And definitely no premade vs solo queuers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 11:15 AM, Xerekfell said:

I remember bringing this up in S1, and it's still a problem almost a year later. Honestly I wish there was another SW game to enjoy so I can drop this garbage one, but sadly it's the only option available. 

While people are complaining that there are players who afk and are not even trying to learn & get better, the game actively punishes people who learned and got better by putting them into matches with place holders, and the place holders will always be rewarded by being grouped with people who might be able to carry them. No wonder it's a mess where no-one is happy. 

The matches would be more balanced without the so called matchmaking. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DeannaVoyager said:

While people are complaining that there are players who afk and are not even trying to learn & get better, the game actively punishes people who learned and got better by putting them into matches with place holders, and the place holders will always be rewarded by being grouped with people who might be able to carry them. No wonder it's a mess where no-one is happy. 

The matches would be more balanced without the so called matchmaking. 

most things ^this person writes are anathema to me but...this sure rings true. the MM couldn't be worse at times if it were completely random (which it might be?).