APAC Shae Vizla Server will kill Satele Shan Server

ReveredDead

On 11/19/2023 at 12:06 PM, ReveredDead said:

All of my characters are entirely on the Satele Shan server as I live on the west coast of the U.S. It is no question that the Satele Shan (SS) server has been dwindling in numbers over the past few years. In fact it's made me consider just leaving it entirely to go to Star Forge (SF) or better yet just quitting the game until SS and SF merge into one big American server. I likely won't transfer as it costs a ton of cartel coins to transfer just one alt. At night the only people you can find to raid with are mostly folks from Australia and Asia (by the way the most fun people to play with) since it's afternoon and evening over there while it's night in America. So now that they have their own server. I think it's likely that a good majority of Australians and Asians on SS will migrate to Shae Vizla since it's likely got better ping than SS. I tried the server myself but getting a constant ping of 180ms due to the distance is not ideal (I get 60ms on SS). So my question is: What was the purpose of creating the APAC server? This game isn't getting any new players. At least not at the volume that would make the creation of a new server a viable option. Seriously what was the purpose in making SS even more of a ghost server than it already is now? Only thing that makes sense now is to merge SS and SF into one giant American server. 

No it will not. SS has been dying a slow death for years. I have been playing on SV all week this week and it is worse than SS believe it or not. So both servers are dead at this point. Not sure anything will change in that equation.

The proper order would have been 3 new server to transfer to. 1 US, 1 EU, and 1 APAC. Give everyone 30 days to server transfers to anywhere they want. After 30 days close all old servers and only run 3 new ones. Any returning players will be able to transfer upon logging into toons to any server they want. Not adding another server to a dead game and hope for the best? And on top of it, add the new server with restrictions? I mean you talk about ingredients for disaster, you got it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MadCuzBad said:

Give everyone 30 days to server transfers to anywhere they want. After 30 days close all old servers and only run 3 new ones.

That's not a good idea. Transferring servers leaves a lot behind, takes a lot of management work, and ultimately costs a lot of money. So much so that this would be completely unfair and an unnecessary hardship. Bioware merged the servers twice in the past proving it's possible. So they need to do nothing but merge the same regions into one.

5 minutes ago, Traceguy said:

That's not a good idea. Transferring servers leaves a lot behind, takes a lot of management work, and ultimately costs a lot of money. So much so that this would be completely unfair and an unnecessary hardship. Bioware merged the servers twice in the past proving it's possible. So they need to do nothing but merge the same regions into one.

keeping around six servers while only two of them have healthy populations is worse.

3 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

keeping around six servers while only two of them have healthy populations is worse.

Which is why I suggested they merge the servers, just as Bioware has done twice before in the past. 

Random thought here and people are welcome to correct me if im wrong when I say this but if SS and SF were to get merged I personally wouldnt mind

I feel like the ques on star forge would benefit and if SS is as bad off as people are making it sound why not?

New blood on star forge might revitalize some of the game play especially in areas where its needed like PvP and Id assume PvE also for the end game content

I came from SS years ago transferred to SF and havnt looked back granted changes to the game since then have made the populations dwindle a fair bit..

Now when we que PvP warzones/arena/star fighter its the same people doing the same crap everytime people dont even participate in matches they afk leave or fly into rocks

I feel like a larger population might help alleviate some of those issues probably not all but some hopefully

I dont know the population count for SF/SS/SV but I feel like having 3 servers with meager populations is spreading its self too thin and making the impression the game is dead or specific servers being dead harder to argue against

Same time the folks who want to go to APAC servers because they live in those areas and would potentially benefit from better connections... Im all for that 

People shouldnt be forced to play on a server thats harder on their connection because they live in a different area of the world especially if there is a option for them to play on a server closer to home

If I had the ping issues that the folks in the Apac region have on SS/SF Id quit this game in a heart beat because if the connection stability is so bad that the players can hardly enjoy the game it then there is no point imo

Edited by Luciferior

SF queues probably would not benefit as much as people think from a merger since at this point in the game, pretty much everyone with characters on SS will have them on SF (and group players probably play mostly of SF already). SS players would benefit if they didn't already have characters on SF (which is probably a small part of the population at this time). The complaints about pops on SS seem to be mostly about not being able to complete Conquest/GS on a second server.

As far as "new blood" goes. You are basically looking at the same players on both servers, not much new blood for SF is likely

Having 2 US servers does have the benefit of letting players who want to avoid all the drama that goes with a "high" population server have someplace to play rather than leaving the game and decreasing the overall game population (and thus game revenue). I personally am not against mergers if and only if the "savings" are funneled directly back into content for everyone, not just "group content" adjusted to be solo-able.

SV should be left out of the merger talk unless it is performing so badly that it is a true burden on the game financially. If it is even marginally self-supporting, it should be left alone, leaving its fate in the hands of APAC players.

1 hour ago, Traceguy said:

Which is why I suggested they merge the servers, just as Bioware has done twice before in the past. 

but they should still allow people to transfer before and after to get settled, especially the APAC players who will end up with a lot of characters stuck on the NA or EU servers (and for the people who show up a year later never hearing about the merges).

@DWho Hey if those players on SS dont want to merge with SF by all means they can stay on their dying server but the folks who want to go to the APAC server should be free to go there without being guilted into worrying about what will happen to SS if Apac region players do decide to leave

I wouldnt support merging SV with either server the folks in the Apac region want their own server imo they can have it but thats a double edged sword if not enough people transfer over to SV then they run the risk of being a even lower populated version of SS... then thats for them to deal with because we cant all have our cake eat it too and hope it tastes good

End of the day all 3 servers are suffering ...I personally feel like merging SF and SS would help but I understand if people dont want to be on higher population servers or believe it wouldnt make that much of a difference..

Either way this is on bioware/broadsword if they were encouraging new players to come into the game and stay while retaining veteran players  instead making decisions that make people want to unsub and uninstall we wouldnt be needing to play this game of hot potatoe of whos server needs the most love 

Instead they want to hide off the forums when it comes to the actual issues that are killing off what remains of the player base

Especially in game modes like PvP Warzones/Arenas/Galactic Star fighter that are all suffering from different issues afk players players flying into rocks to speed the match along to get their dailies ....Premades farming solo players

No ranked/rated games yet the rewards from these new so called "PvP Seasons" are so abysmal and the seasons them selves are making the problems that are plaguing the game mode worse 

Rewarding people for intentionally losing is never a good idea and thats exactly what is happening now to the point where people are openly justifying doing it because *its just more efficient"

Premade grps in coms stacking meta to farm solo players aint PvP it aint fun for anyone

Then you got people who afk in stealth or just outright leave the match then it just snowballs from there

These issues need to be addressed time now not 8.0 not 8.1 Now...

the same with this so called inflation initiative that has been a farce from the get go trade tax was a stupid idea that hinders new players and preferred status players to the point of its almost not even worth it to play

Iv subbed in the past more times then I can count maybe even when bioware/broadsword **werent** deserving of the money but i did it to support the game ...Now i cant sub at this moment

And because of the trade tax I cant even get by as a preferred status player anymore I used to be able to PvP get techs for OEMs/RPMs to barter for the things I needed/wanted off the GTN

Now I cant do that because the trade tax for said OEMs/RPMs on SF is more then the preferred status credit limit So even if i had something to trade I cant even afford to do that...

And since I cant use the funds from my legacy bank whats a player in my position supposed to do farm 1000 legendary embers and bait someone into a trade 2 embers at a time wasting their time and mine while hoping they dont just run off before I get the item I was looking for..

Or do I cave to broadsword and give then more real money and reward them for making a stupid decision that should have never went thru the billionaires on this game are still billionaires I highly doubt their hurting from any of these taxes if their hurting from anything its how items are listed in the GTN favoring undercutters

While the people werent billionaires just every day players whether they got a few hundred mil or 1 mil are struggling

its to the point now where I might actually *Have* to join a guild just so i can get the items i need to bypass the trade tax nd even then thats a 30day wait

2 minutes ago, Luciferior said:

folks who want to go to the APAC server should be free to go there without being guilted into worrying about what will happen to SS if Apac region players do decide to leave

Agreed. This is not an either or proposition.

2 hours ago, Darkestmonty said:

but they should still allow people to transfer before and after to get settled, especially the APAC players who will end up with a lot of characters stuck on the NA or EU servers (and for the people who show up a year later never hearing about the merges).

Transferring is a bad deal. You will lose too much. It's not worth it. If the server is to end, they need to merge it. 

19 minutes ago, Traceguy said:

Transferring is a bad deal. You will lose too much. It's not worth it. If the server is to end, they need to merge it. 

transfer before and after merges.

Give notice that merges are happening and let people transfer to the region they want. Then after the servers merge keep transfers open (or keep the limited number of free transfers available) to people returning to the game after the merges so they can transfer to the proper region.

Transfers without merges are a horrible idea and will create worse population issues on some of the servers.

Edited by Darkestmonty
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Darkestmonty said:

hopefully they have access to players IP's.

So here’s the thing, they don’t need your IP. If you go into your account & you’re an APAC player, it actually says where you’re located. For me it says Australia. This is based solely on your payment history & when you setup your account. 

18 hours ago, DWho said:

That establishes they are from the region (though it is very easy to spoof IPs these days, just about any VPN can do it) but it still doesn't answer the question of what is "a long history of playing from the APAC region". Again, restricting these extra free transfers to the APAC region is fine but what is the minimum amount of support for the game that is required. Is playing on a f2p account good enough, how much time should it be that they played? Is being on the APAC server when it closed enough (I'd say probably it is but what is your opinion)

They use banking details that are linked to your account. Your account says where you are from. 

37 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

transfer before and after merges.

Give notice that merges are happening and let people transfer to the region they want. Then after the servers merge keep transfers open (or keep the limited number of free transfers available) to people returning to the game after the merges so they can transfer to the proper region.

Transfers without merges are a horrible idea and will create worse population issues on some of the servers.

Exactly. This is not brain surgery. Broadsword make 3 brand new servers. One NA, one EU, one APAC. For 30 days people have the ability to packup any toons they want from any servers and move them to one of the three new servers. After 30 days the old 6 servers will be shut down and any returning players or characters that were not moved will have to pick one of the three servers upon logging into the game.

It is that simple.

4 hours ago, Darkestmonty said:

They may as well merge servers at that point so that people don’t lose their stuff. But allow players to choose which server to merge with. 

So SS players would probably choose Star Forge or Shae Vizla. And the two EU servers would probably choose Darth Malgus. 

And to be fair I’m not suggesting transfers. I’m just suggesting how they could do it if it comes to that. 

4 minutes ago, MadCuzBad said:

Exactly. This is not brain surgery. Broadsword make 3 brand new servers. One NA, one EU, one APAC. For 30 days people have the ability to packup any toons they want from any servers and move them to one of the three new servers. After 30 days the old 6 servers will be shut down and any returning players or characters that were not moved will have to pick one of the three servers upon logging into the game.

It is that simple.

Why do they need a new APAC server, this one isn’t even 6 months old. I really don’t want to go through all of that again. 

2 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

They may as well merge servers at that point so that people don’t lose their stuff. But allow players to choose which server to merge with. 

So SS players would probably choose Star Forge or Shae Vizla. And the two EU servers would probably choose Darth Malgus. 

And to be fair I’m not suggesting transfers. I’m just suggesting how they could do it if it comes to that. 

You mean for guild ships and all that?

Just now, TrixxieTriss said:

Why do they need a new APAC server, this one isn’t even 6 months old. I really don’t want to go through all of that again. 

They wont need a new apac server, just lift any and all restrictions

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Yeah, but also strongholds that you’ve paid for with credits don’t transfer & neither do any of your legacy currencies. 

Maybe 30 days of transfers and then whoever is left in x.y.or z server gets merged into x, ,y , or z server. Like you said SS, SF go into one, and 3 EU servers go into 1

26 minutes ago, MadCuzBad said:

Maybe 30 days of transfers and then whoever is left in x.y.or z server gets merged into x, ,y , or z server. Like you said SS, SF go into one, and 3 EU servers go into 1

I’d make it 60 days & they should let players choose which server to merge with. Because you may have APAC people still on NA or EU servers who would prefer Shae Vizla. You may even have west coast or Hawaiian based players who prefer SV or have EU players who would prefer NA or vice versa. 

12 minutes ago, Traceguy said:

I don't think you know what a merge is. There is no after because there is no server after a merge

He means still having the opportunity to transfer to one of the other regions servers. 

1 minute ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I’d make it 60 days & they should let players choose which server to merge with. Because you may have APAC people still on NA or EU servers who would prefer Shae Vizla. You may even have west coast or Hawaiian based players who prefer SV or have EU players who would prefer NA or vice versa. 

I'm not a programmer, but is that possible to do?