APAC Shae Vizla Server will kill Satele Shan Server

ReveredDead

All of my characters are entirely on the Satele Shan server as I live on the west coast of the U.S. It is no question that the Satele Shan (SS) server has been dwindling in numbers over the past few years. In fact it's made me consider just leaving it entirely to go to Star Forge (SF) or better yet just quitting the game until SS and SF merge into one big American server. I likely won't transfer as it costs a ton of cartel coins to transfer just one alt. At night the only people you can find to raid with are mostly folks from Australia and Asia (by the way the most fun people to play with) since it's afternoon and evening over there while it's night in America. So now that they have their own server. I think it's likely that a good majority of Australians and Asians on SS will migrate to Shae Vizla since it's likely got better ping than SS. I tried the server myself but getting a constant ping of 180ms due to the distance is not ideal (I get 60ms on SS). So my question is: What was the purpose of creating the APAC server? This game isn't getting any new players. At least not at the volume that would make the creation of a new server a viable option. Seriously what was the purpose in making SS even more of a ghost server than it already is now? Only thing that makes sense now is to merge SS and SF into one giant American server. 

19 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Have you actually seen a drop in player numbers yet? Or are you just assuming this is what will happen?

They're just another one of the Clairvoyant experts that know everything and nothing at the same time.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, denavin said:

They're just another one of the Clairvoyant experts that know everything and nothing at the same time.....

where do you think SV players came from? Of course the other servers took a population hit, the players on SV are not all new to SWTOR.

the significance of the population decrease has yet to be seen or the long term effects even if there is an observable impact. For all we know in a few months a lot of players will stop playing SV because the new factor would have worn off.

Edited by Darkestmonty

25 minutes ago, PeterGun-SWE said:

Don't APAC deserve their own server? This is something the wanted since the game launch of December 2011!

There were APAC servers at launch. They were removed some time later. Having an APAC server brings SWTOR back to being a global game, which is a good thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ReveredDead said:

I tried the server myself but getting a constant ping of 180ms due to the distance is not ideal (I get 60ms on SS). So my question is: What was the purpose of creating the APAC server?

You just answered your own question. 

If YOU don't want to play with 180ms plus ping why do you think the APAC players should have to (or want to)?

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, DWho said:

There were APAC servers at launch. They were removed some time later. Having an APAC server brings SWTOR back to being a global game, which is a good thing.

in 2013 APAC servers were merged into the US servers.

Then in 2017 the US servers were merged again and all US servers moved to Virginia which is even further for APAC players.

Edited by Darkestmonty

6 hours ago, ReveredDead said:

All of my characters are entirely on the Satele Shan server as I live on the west coast of the U.S. It is no question that the Satele Shan (SS) server has been dwindling in numbers over the past few years. In fact it's made me consider just leaving it entirely to go to Star Forge (SF) or better yet just quitting the game until SS and SF merge into one big American server. I likely won't transfer as it costs a ton of cartel coins to transfer just one alt. At night the only people you can find to raid with are mostly folks from Australia and Asia (by the way the most fun people to play with) since it's afternoon and evening over there while it's night in America. So now that they have their own server. I think it's likely that a good majority of Australians and Asians on SS will migrate to Shae Vizla since it's likely got better ping than SS. I tried the server myself but getting a constant ping of 180ms due to the distance is not ideal (I get 60ms on SS). So my question is: What was the purpose of creating the APAC server? This game isn't getting any new players. At least not at the volume that would make the creation of a new server a viable option. Seriously what was the purpose in making SS even more of a ghost server than it already is now? Only thing that makes sense now is to merge SS and SF into one giant American server. 

Until they enable character transfers onto Shae (and if they do), I doubt it's going to have much effect on any of the existing servers.  I would think that most people don't want to start from zero on a new server.

Edited by Screaming_Ziva
  • Like 1

I checked the population on all the servers Friday night. I didn't save the numbers, but Satele Shan still had 100 players on fleet in primetime. It wasn't as high as Star Forge, but it wasn't much lower than normal. Things could change once transfers have opened. Some players are waiting to switch until then. I think things will probably be fine on Satele Shan as long as Galactic Seasons continue to work as they do. Lots of players will still play there to get the extra cartel coins from Galactic Seasons. It will be interesting to see what happens after transfers, but everything is fine now.

22 minutes ago, ThanderSnB said:

I checked the population on all the servers Friday night. I didn't save the numbers, but Satele Shan still had 100 players on fleet in primetime. It wasn't as high as Star Forge, but it wasn't much lower than normal. Things could change once transfers have opened. Some players are waiting to switch until then. I think things will probably be fine on Satele Shan as long as Galactic Seasons continue to work as they do. Lots of players will still play there to get the extra cartel coins from Galactic Seasons. It will be interesting to see what happens after transfers, but everything is fine now.

I'm looking ahead. Sure right now there won't be an impact. But a year from now? Two years? Satele Shan does have a good number during Primetime but that's it. Any other time of day it's dead EXCEPT late at night when Asia and Australians get on and even then it can still take a while to form groups for anything. Now if they move to APAC, which let me note that I have no issue with. I would go to a new server if I had a better connection. The problem is not really the creation of this SV server nor people making the smart choice and going to a server dedicated for their region. The problem is the potential implications down the line for a dwindling server like SS from the creation of SV. If the server is only active during primetime (which is only a few hours) then dead for the remainder of the day. Then that's a problem. Cause not everyone works a 9-5 schedule job. That means people who work atypical schedules will be screwed. 

2 minutes ago, ReveredDead said:

I'm looking ahead. Sure right now there won't be an impact. But a year from now? Two years? Satele Shan does have a good number during Primetime but that's it. Any other time of day it's dead EXCEPT late at night when Asia and Australians get on and even then it can still take a while to form groups for anything. Now if they move to APAC, which let me note that I have no issue with. I would go to a new server if I had a better connection. The problem is not really the creation of this SV server nor people making the smart choice and going to a server dedicated for their region. The problem is the potential implications down the line for a dwindling server like SS from the creation of SV. If the server is only active during primetime (which is only a few hours) then dead for the remainder of the day. Then that's a problem. Cause not everyone works a 9-5 schedule job. That means people who work atypical schedules will be screwed. 

unless the devs allow free or cheap transfers to APAC I know a few players with 10-20 characters on the US servers who refuse to move. They were kicked off their servers 10 years ago, they didn't want to start over and lose those 10 years of progress and aren't going to spend hundreds of dollars moving their characters back to an APAC server.

I would be more concerned with APAC servers falling below SS population in a year.

Edited by Darkestmonty

5 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Have you actually seen a drop in player numbers yet? Or are you just assuming this is what will happen?

That's cute. I happen to play a lot and I don't need to see numbers. I see it first hand every day. Servers hot during primetime evenings then dead for all other hours except when Aussies come online. The issue is not players making the smart choice and moving to the APAC server for better connectivity when transfers are available. The issue is that Broadsword is not considering a merge for SS and SF soon after. 

9 minutes ago, ReveredDead said:

Well at least the dicussion is happening now so BS can plan ahead. If it even is a plan at all. 

I wouldn't panic until we see obvious population drops. Right now a lot of players are on APAC just because it is new. Give it 6 months to see how the populations even out.

6 hours ago, DWho said:

There were APAC servers at launch.

No, there were no APAC servers when SWTOR launched in 2011 December.  APAC servers didn't go live until the end of 2012 February

2 hours ago, Darkestmonty said:

I wouldn't panic until we see obvious population drops. Right now a lot of players are on APAC just because it is new. Give it 6 months to see how the populations even out.

My vote (not that it really counts for anything) is to give it 3 months after character transfers are allowed to Shae Vizla server and see what Satele Shan server activity is like.

35 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

No, there were no APAC servers when SWTOR launched in 2011 December.  APAC servers didn't go live until the end of 2012 February

My vote (not that it really counts for anything) is to give it 3 months after character transfers are allowed to Shae Vizla server and see what Satele Shan server activity is like.

I don't know if it's possible but it would be nice if former APAC characters can transfer back for free.

43 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

I'd expect Star Forge to be more affected since most of the people sensitive to lag already moved to Star Forge from Satele Shan for the better "pop" times.

12 hours ago, DWho said:

A grand total of 3 months later and certainly not something APAC players were "waiting for since launch" for in 2023. Which was the point as you well know.

The point was you stating that SWTOR had APAC servers since launch was incorrect.  SWTOR didn't have APAC servers at launch.  SWTOR had just started the Great Subscriber Exodus of 2012, a.k.a. post-launch player drop off when APAC servers were added to the game.