the new 7.3 *flashpoint* is SUPERB...

Nee-Elder

Say what you will about BioWare's  rather short  story quest  'content'  these days, but  imho the new  *Shrine of Silence*  flashpoint is  positively  EXCELLENT !

Very well designed  and extremely FUN to play thru ,  especially the.....

Spoiler

Cavern of Nightmares  & beyond

.... as well as  not too many  trash-mobs  either.

2 big Jar-Jar  THUMBS UP   on this one,  @EricMusco &  BioWare Dev Team! :ph_thank_you:

Edited by Nee-Elder
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I love the eldritch horror atmosphere in the flashpoint: what better place than Voss be haunted by one.

I'm not bothered by the short story of the flashpoint itself, but I would like to know more about the "curse".

Is it the remnant of Sel-Makor? Is there other darkness on Voss? Very interesting.

ALL HAIL OUR LORD AND SAVIOR VORANTIKUS

• Like 1

It's REALLY good. I loved it, all of it (though I was flummoxed by the fire things at first). It was super fun to run, that's for sure. And lol on the sound of the last boss. He sounds like a horse to me, so it made me laugh.

I didn't see any lore in there, though, or secret stuff scattered around (like in Spirit of Vengeance), but still, very fun and very cool FP.

Flashpoint was really good, I agree. Kudoz to the environment team they manage to create quite the creepy atmosphere in a relatively short amount of time, I also enjoyed learning more about what the Ancient Sith were doing on the planet. 

11 hours ago, eabevella said:

I love the eldritch horror atmosphere in the flashpoint: what better place than Voss be haunted by one.

I'm not bothered by the short story of the flashpoint itself, but I would like to know more about the "curse".

Is it the remnant of Sel-Makor? Is there other darkness on Voss? Very interesting.

ALL HAIL OUR LORD AND SAVIOR VORANTIKUS

Spoiler

The Curse was a leftover experiment from the Sith. That kept growing on the darkness of Voss over thousands of years. As far as we know it isn't related to Sel-Makor which grew out of the Darkness of the war between the Jedi and Sith there instead. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FlameYOL said:

Flashpoint was really good, I agree. Kudoz to the environment team they manage to create quite the creepy atmosphere in a relatively short amount of time, I also enjoyed learning more about what the Ancient Sith were doing on the planet. 

Hide contents

The Curse was a leftover experiment from the Sith. That kept growing on the darkness of Voss over thousands of years. As far as we know it isn't related to Sel-Makor which grew out of the Darkness of the war between the Jedi and Sith there instead. 

Nice! Are the infos in the codex? I must have missed it.

I haven't played the flashpoint yet however I belive that even though it is independent of the story there should be some sort of npc direct us to it so we could find it more easily. Like "There is this problem and your assistance is needed go to this location"

Edited by KyraMalakai
  • Like 1

I think "excellent" is over-selling a fair bit, it was fine enough to me.

The general atmosphere, difficulty and the level design were all pretty good. I did appreciate the light puzzle but it wans't anything ground-breaking and there was way too much stealth detection for what I like. Combat for stealth characters should be encouraged with bonuses, not forced from a random spike in stealth-detecting enemies.

The whole theme with a big bad in a Voss cave was also rather uninspired, it would have been more interesting if the whole curse and final boss wasn't just a copy-paste of the whole Sel-Makor thing Voss already had going for it.

On a scale of 10 I guess I'd give it a 6, not the worst flashpoint ever, but certainly not the most exciting either.

• Like 1

+1

I've only done the flashpoint once, but it was really good indeed, and can't wait to do it again. 🤸‍♀️

The only downside was the puzzle. One should not need to find an external guide to be able to progress. But the guide I found was good, and best part was it was a proper written guide with maps and pictures instead of a youtube video with  a 5-10 minutes waste of time before getting to the point. 

• Like 1

Agree - it's a really enjoyable FP. I haven't gotten to try Master Mode yet, where I presume the bosses will be more engaging. Veteran was tuned well, though, as our new, 4-player pug group didn't have a problem with them, but it wasn't really boring either.

My only criticism is The Curse boss looks and even sounds like the Terror From Beyond. It actually took me out of the FP, in terms of immersion. I can foresee some groups also having difficulty with the puzzle, but I liked it as sort of an homage to past Operation puzzles.  

The environment/design especially is great. The FP felt and looked creepy but still was recognizably Voss.

If this is the last FP SWTOR ever gets, which is a very real possibility, it exceeded expectations. 

• Like 1

I agree with 6/10.  You just run through a series of caves, killing mobs for npcs who were too stupid to just run away.  I was glad that the difficulty was reasonable.  I also had to look up the solution to the puzzle which really didn't make much sense.

On 6/17/2023 at 3:31 PM, elimatorxv said:

yeah that curse boss had the sounds of the last boss from TFB which i found out of place,

It's the same species  though, no?

What sound should it make instead?

On 6/17/2023 at 4:26 PM, VonDooomm said:

You just run through a series of caves,

Sometimes simplicity of atmosphere is all it takes to cultivate immersion.

Of course, most "modern" gamers don't care about immersion.

They just care about  completion, so they can then go hurry up and complain about how "bored" they are. :ph_lol:

for npcs who were too stupid to just run away. 

Interesting choice of words., considering...

I also had to look up the solution to the puzzle which really didn't make much sense.

:rolleyes:

But seriously, for the people who had trouble with the puzzle: Are u guys saying you really couldn't figure out the basic version on your own?  Or do u guys mean you only needed the guide for the BONUS secret-boss-unlock  version? ( totally understandable )

Because if it was the former....well.... I'm guessing people were either too impatient to sit & think for a mere extra couple minutes ( gee how awful )  or  were OVER thinking it to the point of getting too frustrated for even the slightest bit of trial & error. ( maybe in a rush group? )

Either way, one could argue it's another indication of how most "modern" gamers ( and current humans in general, aka drones w/ their phones ) are too reliant on exterior guides , instead of their own interior minds.  Heck, some players don't even read their quest journal mission descriptions/directions, much less take time to notice in-game surroundings/clues.

i weep for what  ai  shall do to society, imminently. :(

Edited by Nee-Elder

Yeah I liked it.

For me, as soon as I saw the concept art from the livestream, before even signing into the PTS, I guessed "Is this the SWTOR devs way of tieing into the High Republic era with the progenitor of the Drengir? the comics already did (With the main line star wars comics and Doc Aphra), Jedi Survivor and Bad Batch season 2. So it made sense to me for this to be SWTOR's tie in." And seeing the final boss I was grinning and went "Yep! I was right lol." And to speak of the "re-use" of the model. Maybe the ancient Sith who experimented on the Gormak/Voss, experimented on the TFB and then became them over thousands of years? And the entire eastern side of Voss is called the Nightmare Lands, all with dark side twisted trees. 

Yeah it probably is just reusing models to be cheaper, but who knows what the sith experimented on? I mean thats how we got the fraking rakghouls zombies. (my fav cross over in comics and my fav star wars comics)