The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

An update on the development of SWTOR

KeithKanneg

8 hours ago, Addictress said:

If there is one thing the devs do today, it is to finally stop deploying launch buttons on the major story quests. 

Wise up

Why though?  It lets you have the quest in the log without messing up the companions you can use for crew skills.

As soon as you launch a mission that has a forced companion you can no longer send any other companions on crew missions.

So auto-launching would be a major clusterfu** for me.  I have plenty of alts  with those purple missions that can't be abandoned, but are not going to be played any time soon. I don't want their crew missions bricked just because the new content is boring af to run more than a handful of alts through.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2023 at 10:05 AM, LD_Little_Dragon said:

Why though?  It lets you have the quest in the log without messing up the companions you can use for crew skills.

As soon as you launch a mission that has a forced companion you can no longer send any other companions on crew missions.

So auto-launching would be a major clusterfu** for me.  I have plenty of alts  with those purple missions that can't be abandoned, but are not going to be played any time soon. I don't want their crew missions bricked just because the new content is boring af to run more than a handful of alts through.

I'm confused. Starting a purple mission by clicking launch versus clicking on quest giver (travelling there) does the same thing for me regarding companion crew skills. 

Auto-launching doesn't happen unless you walk into the phase area (travel there) deliberately in the class story missions.

I just want to point out that I'm a fan of quick travel. Elder Scrolls Online doesn't have a launch button. You still save time by quick travelling nearby but the immersion is preserved as you at least have to walk a few steps from the fast-travel point to the point where the quest begins. You don't just click a button in the top right for a quest that takes place on Corellia while you're actually on Mek-Sha (and in one instance, after the cut scenes was over, I was immediately back in the prior location, half a galaxy away - very immersion-breaking).

It's just poor taste.

Edited by Addictress

On 8/2/2023 at 12:41 PM, Balameb said:

1-ESO's way is a pain . You get a  ton of 'main/prologue' quest givers following you or popping out of the blue and there is no way to tell them off. Don't get me wrong, i love how in ESO i can choose what stories i want to play and not be forced in a vertical rigid path; but they need a way to soft that out.

They are going to be addressing that very issue soon with 'Update 39' .

On 8/2/2023 at 2:03 PM, felleto said:

"Tumbleweed slowly tumbles away"

i'll be pleasantly shocked if we hear anything significant from @EricMusco , @KeithKanneg , 'Broadsword' , et al  until September. (most likely just after USA Labor Day weekend )

On 8/10/2023 at 4:59 AM, LJ_Gibbs said:

Yay!  More stuff to keep us busy with old content.

Actually....

On 8/10/2023 at 7:57 AM, OlBuzzard said:

Don't worry ... it's probably much the same rewards too.

....Not exactly the same ole same ole this time--> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/930714-game-update-731-coming-soon/

And, happily, it posted a couple weeks earlier  than i had predicted too. ;)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

Actually....

....Not exactly the same ole same ole this time--> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/930714-game-update-731-coming-soon/

And, happily, it posted a couple weeks earlier  than i had predicted too. ;)

Excellent!  If we are going to be critical ... then we should also give credit where credit is due!

I'm glad to see it!

(BTW... thanks again!)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

If you pay attention, you should hear their  "hello" on or about Sept. 6th --> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/930959-game-update-731-launching-september-6th/

Unfortunately,  still no mention of GSF development though. :(

Was more curious about how Broadsword actually got TOR in July. Yet here it is almost September and the Broadsword website doesn't list TOR as a game it runs, and other then Dev avatars and Wikipedia, Bioware and Bioware trademarks are still listed on SWTOR media. You would think a company purchasing something as big as TOR [relatively compared to current games they own] would be a big "Look what we just got!" type deal and yet....nothing. Or a forum post from a Broadsword higher up introducing themselves. Honestly gives a "Oh, who are you again? Star Trek? The Cold Republic? Oh...sorry Star WARS. Yea..yea Old Republic...just find an empty chair somewhere and we'll get to you eventually" kind of vibe

And yet...silence...

3 minutes ago, Crimsonorion said:

Was more curious about how Broadsword actually got TOR in July. Yet here it is almost September and the Broadsword website doesn't list TOR as a game it runs, and other then Dev avatars and Wikipedia, Bioware and Bioware trademarks are still listed on SWTOR media. You would think a company purchasing something as big as TOR [relatively compared to current games they own] would be a big "Look what we just got!" type deal and yet....nothing. Or a forum post from a Broadsword higher up introducing themselves. Honestly gives a "Oh, who are you again? Star Trek? The Cold Republic? Oh...sorry Star WARS. Yea..yea Old Republic...just find an empty chair somewhere and we'll get to you eventually" kind of vibe

And yet...silence...

If you look at Swtor on Steam, it lists Broadsword as the developer now. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 8:00 PM, Crimsonorion said:

And yet...silence...

According to the WayBack Machine sometime between August 16th and September 10th (and more likely, between August 31st and Sept 10th) Broadsword updated their website to list SWTOR as one of their games, and the picture they use for the slide image shows the Broadsword logo replacing the Bioware logo, however the SWTOR website itself has yet to be updated.

Now, I think what is going on is the game is starting to transition between Bioware/EA and Broadsword.  EA/Bioware is transferring servers one-by-one to the cloud and off of the EA servers.  I believe that some SWTOR staff have moved to Broadsword to help with the move. 

Once the move to the cloud has been completed or just before the final move happens, then I expect we will get a form post.   

Depending on which website you believe, Broadsword Online Games has about 10-25 employees right now and a yearly gross income of less than $5 million.   News articles say that about 40 of the 80 total SWTOR employees are going to Broadsword. Logically to support that number of new employees, SWTOR should be bringing in double to triple what Broadsword makes off of the two MMORPGs they have now, combined. 

In any case, I feel that we won't hear from Broadsword until they are about to fully take over SWTOR from Bioware and that means right around the time of the final server being moved to the cloud. 

Until we hear from Broadsword, we won't know what the future holds for SWTOR. Just because the current team over at bioware is planning certain things, doesn't mean that will hold true once the game is transitioned to a new company.  

I'd give it a 'wait and see' approach. We probably won't know anything until November or December.

Edited by BipolarWeasel

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Whykara said:

Sooo... any news? We've been waiting for a definitive statement about the state of the game for almost 4 months now. 

you can better give up on it like most of us have done all.

we know all in what for state this game is all its on life support for a long time and that is not going to chance also.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whykara said:

Sooo... any news? We've been waiting for a definitive statement about the state of the game for almost 4 months now.

I haven't been waiting for a definitive statement about the state of SWTOR.  Keith Kanneg advised us what their plans were for the rest of the year and the dev team has thus far executed two thirds of that announced plan (7.3.1 release and transition of servers to AWS cloud).  7.4 is the next thing on the player facing list and Jackie Ko said they had a livestream planned for that.  7.4 is supposed to be released before end of year.  We'll see if that actually happens but as of now it looks like the dev team under Broadsword is keeping to plan.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Whykara said:

This post from the other day -->  https://forums.swtor.com/topic/931266-features-and-improvements-that-do-not-need-a-lot-of-money/?do=findComment&comment=9779261  ...which i thought you had maybe already seen, pretty much says it all, no?

Edited by Nee-Elder

29 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

This post from the other day -->  https://forums.swtor.com/topic/931266-features-and-improvements-that-do-not-need-a-lot-of-money/?do=findComment&comment=9779261  ...which i thought you had maybe already seen, pretty much says it all, no?

This post doesn't say that much relevant to the topic. I was looking for concrete information pertaining the takeover that we haven't yet gotten. Who is the new team? Who is now responsible for SWTOR? What's Rob Denton's role? What's the future for the game after 7.4?  Are there going to be any major changes, will there be a new direction for the game? We can of course piece together some of the answers, but it would be great to get an introduction post from Broadsword directly.

2 hours ago, Lord_Janosch said:

As far as I have read somewhere they (BS) wanna do a livestream in the upcoming weeks. Looking forward to some more information.

Ah yes I've forgotten about that. Hopefully we will know more after stream.

5 minutes ago, Whykara said:

This post doesn't say that much relevant to the topic.

imo , it says it without really saying it  ;)

I was looking for concrete information pertaining the takeover that we haven't yet gotten.

If we ( these forums ) haven't gotten it by now,  i doubt we'll ever get it.

We can of course piece together some of the answers,

Indeed.

, but it would be great to get an introduction post from Broadsword directly.

I'll be pleasantly shocked if that ^ ever happens.

Ah yes I've forgotten about that. Hopefully we will know more after stream.

Most likely the LiveStream will  strictly focus on  7.4  features & such, as well as maybe some semblance of future SWTOR directions over the coming months.

We shall see though.

Edited by Nee-Elder
  • Like 2