Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

An update on the development of SWTOR

KeithKanneg

3 hours ago, Khoxion said:

And why?

There could be simply additional ger/fr versions of the general/pvp/trade channels that people could ignore as they please. Players who are too ignorant to use the proper channels for their language could be ignored (together with an increase of the ignore list limit that was already suggested somewhere else). At least it would be much better than low population "ger/fr only" servers.

When i returned, i was surprised to see the language specific servers still running.

There is no problem with low population, but the comfort lost of the native language Server will result in players quitting the game. They have opened Pandora's Box in form of localized laguage servers in december 2011 and now they will have to deal with it.

11 minutes ago, DIVAvonFarstar said:

There is no problem with low population, but the comfort lost of the native language Server will result in players quitting the game. They have opened Pandora's Box in form of localized laguage servers in december 2011 and now they will have to deal with it.

I don't know how large the server population on the language specific servers is, as i'm lacking any metrics. I mean if it is needed/makes sense due to low population, servers must be merged regardless of server language.

I'm a german player on the german server and i have definitely a problem when the server population is too low; i would have no problem with any lost comfort due to playing on an international server (actually i have zero just by playing on a german server) . But ofc that's just me.

I don't remember that anyone complained when Mythic merged the last german Warhammer Online server with the EN/INT one.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Khoxion said:

I don't know how large the server population on the language specific servers is, as i'm lacking any metrics. I mean if it is needed/makes sense due to low population, servers must be merged regardless of server language.

I'm a german player on the german server and i have definitely a problem when the server population is too low; i would have no problem with any lost comfort due to playing on an international server (actually i have zero just by playing on a german server) . But ofc that's just me.

I don't remember that anyone complained when Mythic merged the last german Warhammer Online server with the EN/INT one.

I agree with you. There's been times where I've sat on the fleet hopping back and forth between Empire and Republic on Friday and Saturday nights for 4-6 straight hours of not a single raid being formed. Lower population is worse than people not speaking your language. 

40 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I’ll wait for confirmation if you don’t mind.

From a stand point on the CC's ... 

Yes .. I agree let's see what shakes out!  They might remain in circulation ... they might be converted into another currency at "xyz" exchange rate.  Sooo ... Yeah !  Probably a good idea to see what is announced for a definitive conclusion.

Hmmmm...

Ya know something else that might work?  What if ...

What if (those that wanted to) were given the opportunity to purchase something really sweet for a memory item to be shipped to our front door?  And yes...  even the option to purchase additional coins if needed.  One last shot in the arm for EA .. AND one nice memento for my book case (or desk top).

Ya know .. as crazy as that sounds it might just work.  AND it might solved another transition issue as well!  (just a thought)

1 hour ago, TrixxieTriss said:

i really hope  @KeithKanneg gets authorization to  answer some of our legitimate questions today friday before the weekend.

i was glad @JackieKo posted a nice quick placating promo video ( looks cool & intriguing , imo ) , but i dunno.....just feels sorta  lame-duck'ish having 7.3 arriving tuesday , yet the real mystery is  SWTOR's future details. :confused:

i'm guessing BioWare Devs ( actual coders/creators ) feel similar to how most players do at the moment.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

i really hope  @KeithKanneg gets authorization to  answer some of our legitimate questions today friday before the weekend.

i was glad @JackieKo posted a nice quick placating promo video ( looks cool & intriguing , imo ) , but i dunno.....just feels sorta  lame-duck'ish having 7.3 arriving tuesday , yet the real mystery is  SWTOR's future details. :confused:

i'm guessing BioWare Devs ( actual coders/creators ) feel similar to how most players do at the moment.

It really sucks, but the people who are actually responsible for ruining this game, the ones at the top, are getting off completely, while the developers, some of whom were passionate about it and wanted to actually fix the problems are the ones getting the layoffs.

Edited by sithBracer

3 minutes ago, sithBracer said:

some of whom were passionate about it and wanted to actually fix the problems are the ones getting the layoffs.

I'm hoping that these people are the ones EA will send to Broadsword.

9 hours ago, Vyzra said:

Those that play Lord of the Rings Online might remember the time when Standing Stones took over. (Standing Stones has only one other Game called Dungeons and Dragon Online)

I remember clearly the panic over "the game is gonna die".

That old behemoth of a game experienced one of the best expansions in it's life, the moment the smaller company took the reigns.

Yup, I remember that. It was all doom and gloom on the LOTRO forums, and the game has been getting updates ever since. If I remember the timing right, they got a new sub-race after that. High Elf. Been a while since I been over there, but they definitely got some new stuff and expansions, level increases, etc.

It's a very good point and a good example.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Nothing wrong with a little skepticism.

You don't have something until you have it.

I think we all have concerns. Change can be scary and unknowns even more so.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

28 minutes ago, Whykara said:

I'm hoping that these people are the ones EA will send to Broadsword.

I seriously doubt it is in any of their aspirations to move to virginia to work at that garbage company. More than likely all of them have already sent their resumes out to other companies, meaning the best ones will probably just leave BW.

I know you are high on copium right now, but you have to accept the fact that broadsword is not going to continue investing in a 12 year old game on a declining IP, even if it is making a profit at the moment. The risk is too big and the reward too small. They will put the game in maintenance mode, monetize anywhere they can and pocket the money like they have done in the past.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sithBracer said:

I know you are high on copium right now, but you have to accept the fact that broadsword is not going to continue investing in a 12 year old game on a declining IP, even if it is making a profit at the moment. The risk is too big and the reward too small. They will put the game in maintenance mode, monetize anywhere they can and pocket the money like they have done in the past.

They have to invest in the game if they still want it to make money. The reason SWTOR is declining is not because of some strange law of nature, it's because Bioware does not care and does not invest in the game. If Broadsword keeps up the current trajectory, this game is gonna be dead in a few years. If they invest in it, they will have steady revenue for years to come. No need to be on any kind of copium. It is a risk NOT to invest in the game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

Yup, I remember that. It was all doom and gloom on the LOTRO forums, and the game has been getting updates ever since. If I remember the timing right, they got a new sub-race after that. High Elf. Been a while since I been over there, but they definitely got some new stuff and expansions, level increases, etc.

It's a very good point and a good example.

LOTRO is indeed getting a ton of active support. Regular expansions,  modernization, classes, what have you. But it’s also presumably much cheaper to develop for. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sithBracer said:

I seriously doubt it is in any of their aspirations to move to virginia to work at that garbage company. More than likely all of them have already sent their resumes out to other companies, meaning the best ones will probably just leave BW.

Not at all saying it’s likely, but it’s not impossible part of the agreement would be opening, say, an Austin branch. I do agree though that the prospect of asking them to move almost across the country is… not a recipe for success. 

55 minutes ago, sithBracer said:

while the developers, some of whom were passionate about it and wanted to actually fix the problems are the ones getting the layoffs.

Are any developers still passionate about this game anymore. For years now lightsabers have been toothpick thin, and to make matters worse all of them have cheap sci-fi sound effects. Lightsabers don't look like lightsabers anymore, and they especially don't sound like lightsabers anymore. It's like Bioware forgot they were making a Star Wars game, and are scared of being sued for infringement on the Star Wars IP.... News flash Bioware, this is a Star Wars game, you can use Star Wars sounds from the archives! I'm pretty much using v1.0 lightsabers in the game because they are the only ones that are actual lightsabers 

Edited by Traceguy

11 minutes ago, sithBracer said:

I feel bad for those that may be moving to Virginia as looking at the cost of living there around the area where Broadsword is located they have a cost of living that is higher than Austin and that is sad considering Austin is larger than Herndon (where Broadsword is located) (2023 Compare Cities Cost of Living: Austin, TX vs Herndon, VA (bestplaces.net))

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nee-Elder said:

SOOOOO much this ^^^^^^^^

5 minutes ago, Traceguy said:

Are any developers still passionate about this game anymore. For years now lightsabers have been toothpick thin, and to make matters worse all of them have cheap sci-fi sound effects. Lightsabers don't look like lightsabers anymore, and they especially don't sound like lightsabers anymore. It's like Bioware forgot they were making a Star Wars game, and are scared of being sued for infringement on the Star Wars IP.... News flash Bioware, this is a Star Wars game, you can use Star Wars sounds like the archives! I'm pretty much using v1.0 lightsabers in the game because they are the only ones that are actual lightsabers 

I can't really answer that question, but I can say it is very hard to stay passionate about something when upper management always roadblocks you on any initiative you want to try. There is a reason why working for these corporations is said to be "soul crushing".

Edited by sithBracer

22 minutes ago, sithBracer said:

Most dev/coding jobs are remote now. From experience, working in a smaller company is nicer cause you are treated as a human, not as a number , and your creativity is unleashed. You don't get restricted behind process and procedures. Also you get to give more attention to your project. Call it copium, but I'm just talking from my experience. It's much more chill, unless you are younger and you love fast paced environments.

Edited by wombatson
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

I would be CONSIDERABLY LESS skeptical if it were not for recent history.  IMO ... no need for me to rehash all of the reasons that lead us to that conclusion.  No need to rehash the downside.

There really is two sides to this affair.  And (as someone else has pointed out) it's ashamed that the ones who really cared the most about SWTOR could be faced with some really difficult challenges.  

I'm wondering: "Will there be an up side?"  (again I am looking not at MY opinion or MY actions ..but rather the actions of someone else (or a lack there of).  I really am at this point looking for some good solid ground ...  a SOLID review of what can be expected AND a genuine follow up to give credence to what we are hearing.

Or ...  is CCR right:  " I see a bad moon arising" ?

I don't think anyone will post any details until they have become facts, ie the ink on the potential contract has dried.
Otherwise it could have legal consequences for EA/BW and personal consequences for the one who posts them.

No one knows if the staff that allegedly will be employed by Broadsword will have to move to another city and/or has to work in the "Broadsword building". Offices can be rented in different cities. SWTOR could be a completely separate branch.

What i mean is, we know nothing and that won't change until the negotiations are finished. Maybe people should just wait and see and not jump to hasty conclusions, for their own sanity.

9 minutes ago, wombatson said:

Most dev/coding jobs are remote now. From experience, working in a smaller company is nicer cause you are treated as a human, not as a number , and your creativity is unleashed. You don't get restricted behind process and procedures. Also you get to give more attention to your project. Call it copium, but I'm just talking from my experience. It's much more chill, unless you are younger and you love fast paced environments.

I kind of wondered about the remote aspect...  BOTH of my sons are in IT support of some sort.  Both do their work remotely from home.  Both have good incomes.
(hmmm .. maybe they can take care of the old man later on???)  ROFL !!!  (doubtful)  ROFL !!!!!!

In any case HOPEFULLY anyone that would end up working for the other company might not be required to move (hopefully).

6 minutes ago, Khoxion said:

I don't think anyone will post any details until they have become facts, ie the ink on the potential contract has dried.
Otherwise it could have legal consequences for EA/BW and personal consequences for the one who posts them.

No one knows if the staff that allegedly will be employed by Broadsword will have to move to another city and/or has to work in the "Broadsword building". Offices can be rented in different cities. SWTOR could be a completely separate branch.

What i mean is, we know nothing and that won't change until the negotiations are finished. Maybe people should just wait and see and not jump to hasty conclusions, for their own sanity.

Yes, there’s no way details can be shared until a deal is done. And I wish people wouldn’t be so conspiratorial eg Keith or anybody. There’s just no way their hands aren’t tied right now. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

Absolutely. I’m hoping Keith or Jackie will be able to answer some of the players concerns sooner rather than later. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.