Second Combat Style Reset Token

Your post is very difficult to read. 🧐 It is written in very dark grey against the black background. 

It looks something like this. I can't get the exact colour. 😉 I do like the size of the text though. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Should have been a cartel option since day 1 (When 7.0 first released). What was the value or point in making it a permanent decision? 

We can change toon names, legacy names, guild names, transfer servers. How hard would it be to wipe the player's second combat style and have them start over picking a second one?

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2023 at 8:28 PM, Traceguy said:

How hard would it be to wipe the player's second combat style and have them start over picking a second one?

Probably exactly as difficult as it was for them to let our existing characters drop their previous Advanced Class and choose a different Combat Style.

Note that they eventually couldn't let us do that for unspecified "technical reasons".

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 2:36 PM, Salt-Upon-Wounds said:
didn’t add anything, what’s so difficult about that?

Adding something is relatively easy.

Removing/Changing something that wasn't designed to be removed/changed without corrupting the data it is intertwined with is presumably an entirely different matter...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Salt-Upon-Wounds said:

still waiting

And you'll continue to wait, at least until they work out how to solve the "technical issues" they cited for why they couldn't let us change our existing characters' initial Combat Style (inherited from the character's pre-7.0 Advanced Class) except for Force Users to the mirror style.  (Noteworthy: the mirror styles on FU origins use the same weapon(s) - shadow and assassin both use DBS, for example - while on NFU origins ("gun classes"), they don't.)

• Like 1

Alternatively, they could add a third combat style as long as they add an extra inventory screen to store all the extra gear (more legacy and cargo bay expansions would be welcome as well).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2023 at 12:34 AM, Kristallia said:

This is brilliant idea!

Full support from me. With a long cooldown it could not be abused really, but would allow us to change playstyles for our main without having to create new character.

The only real advantage of this is people swapping to healers or tanks to fill roles in an ops or trying to get a specific loot drop stat wise based on a class loot option.

If people want to pay CC for the ability to swap to a tank or healer to run an ops, I'm fine with that.

3 hours ago, Darkestmonty said:

The only real advantage of this is people swapping to healers or tanks to fill roles in an ops or trying to get a specific loot drop stat wise based on a class loot option.

If people want to pay CC for the ability to swap to a tank or healer to run an ops, I'm fine with that.

That is a pretty big advantage. I personally swapped combat styles whenever specific role was needed for a group and I had that role available (as well as fully geared). It's also nice to have a stealth option - I picked stealth combat style as a secondary one for most of my toons (and if they make a 3rd combat style available, those couple who I didn't give stealth to yet are going to get it).

6 hours ago, VegaMist said:

That is a pretty big advantage. I personally swapped combat styles whenever specific role was needed for a group and I had that role available (as well as fully geared). It's also nice to have a stealth option - I picked stealth combat style as a secondary one for most of my toons (and if they make a 3rd combat style available, those couple who I didn't give stealth to yet are going to get it).

all my characters have a stealth option and I know how to tank with all classes just to run ops. With the tank shortage I'm happy if people want to swap specs just to tank.

• 2 months later...

this should also let people mirror their classes e.g. getting to choose the assassin->shadow option at LS5, the way they did it for pre-7.0 characters before completing Training In The Force

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 7:35 AM, Salt-Upon-Wounds said:

another patch without Combat Style Reset

the salt upon your wounds is that they're never going to make this change

two styles was their compromise from what initially seemed like adoption of ff14's "you can play every single class on one character and swap between them as you choose", and the selections are permanent choices to make you think clearly about which two classes you're going to play

21 hours ago, recalcitrantIre said:

the salt upon your wounds is that they're never going to make this change

So let's up our suggestion.

Sell us a 3rd combat style token.

I'd kill for a Sorc/Jug/Sin

Edited by Traceguy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Traceguy said:

I also don’t understand what’s stopping them from making a third comdat style. 
If the reset is technically difficult, but even the smallest and weakest broadsword should cope with it

On 3/14/2024 at 10:56 PM, recalcitrantIre said:

two styles was their compromise from what initially seemed like adoption of ff14's "you can play every single class on one character and swap between them as you choose",

[citation needed]  I watched the livestream when they announced these changes, and there was absolutely *no* hint of any of this.  Please cite a source for your *remarkable* assertion.

Note: I'm not defending their choice, nor am I attacking it, but I would prefer to see demonstrably *provable* attacks.

8 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

[citation needed]  I watched the livestream when they announced these changes, and there was absolutely *no* hint of any of this.  Please cite a source for your *remarkable* assertion.

Note: I'm not defending their choice, nor am I attacking it, but I would prefer to see demonstrably *provable* attacks.

https://youtu.be/QBcfVIOLVbg?t=1449

Chris Schmidt does in fact make a direct comparison to FF14 here, the main points here are the retention of legacy/account system designs and relevance of alts

11 hours ago, Traceguy said:

9 hours ago, Salt-Upon-Wounds said:
I also don’t understand what’s stopping them from making a third comdat style. 
If the reset is technically difficult, but even the smallest and weakest broadsword should cope with it

you guys really aren't getting it

its not that they cant give us more combat styles, its that they wont