Help - Unable to close 'Recent Update' message to press Play at Launcher

pixel_dust

Returning to the game after awhile, and I am currently stuck at the 'Recent Update' message at the Launcher. Neither the 'Close' button nor the 'X' will function when I click on them. So, I am unable to reach the 'Play' button hidden beneath the message.

I have restarted my computer, restarted my router, reinstalled the game, repaired the game, using Admin privileges, all the regular suspects.

The game has been working well, and I had a power outage while in a Warzone. Attempting to return, to login, I have the problem described above using this computer.

I did, though, install the game on a very old laptop so I could enter the game and create a ticket on a 2nd computer, here, I did not experience the technical difficult. The computer is, though, a POS...and is not suitable for playing the game. And, Im guessing that I may be waiting for a response to my ticket, so I am turning to the good people of the SWTOR forum for help. Thank you in advance!

Please, any suggestions?

Edited by pixel_dust

8 minutes ago, pixel_dust said:

Returning to the game after awhile, and I am currently stuck at the 'Recent Update' message at the Launcher. Neither the 'Close' button nor the 'X' will function when I click on them. So, I am unable to reach the 'Play' button hidden beneath the message.

I have restarted my computer, restarted my router, reinstalled the game, repaired the game, using Admin privileges, all the regular suspects.

The game has been working well, and I had a power outage while in a Warzone. Attempting to return, to login, I have the problem described above using this computer.

I did, though, install the game on a very old laptop so I could enter the game and create a ticket on a 2nd computer, here, I did not experience the technical difficult. The computer is, though, a POS...and is not suitable for playing the game. And, Im guessing that I may be waiting for a response to my ticket, so I am turning to the good people of the SWTOR forum for help. Thank you in advance!

Please, any suggestions?

Perversely, I've found this game 'runs' better on an old POS system than the latest / greatest, though of course performance like load times and FPS are worse.

I have the same problem.  Changed compatibility mode on the client AND on the launcher, and that fixed it.  At least temporarily......everytime I log out and try to log back in, I have to do the compatibility change to windows 8 again.  It doesn't save the setting for some reason.  At least I can play, but having to do the fix every single time is still pretty annoying.  I am running on Windows 11 Pro btw.

On 5/13/2023 at 4:27 AM, JackieKo said:

Hi all, 

Just wanted to update this thread and say that we're tracking this issue. Please be sure to read this post and feel free to post in this thread with any updates! 

Just letting you know the Windows 8 compatibility fix didn’t work for me.

I still can’t close the pop up overlay to launch the game & there is still no exit button on the bottom left.

I’ve not tried to reinstall the game yet because of bandwidth costs at the moment. I’m hoping your announced launcher fix this week will address the issue.

• Dev Post

Hi again, 

For players who are seeing a cropped resolution with the launcher, can you please adjust the scale setting in the following field under the Display settings?  We are determining whether this field is impacting your experience. If this does work for you, please let us know what percentage you set. Thanks! 

image(34).png.ae8243501d63bb4aa143fa41c9666970.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Hi again, 

For players who are seeing a cropped resolution with the launcher, can you please adjust the scale setting in the following field under the Display settings?  We are determining whether this field is impacting your experience. If this does work for you, please let us know what percentage you set. Thanks! 

image(34).png.ae8243501d63bb4aa143fa41c9666970.png

Mines not cropped 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

It’s just missing the exit button. But I will test this later today.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why don't you just undo whatever you did with the update that screwed up the launcher window and made it HUGE? Why make us change our settings to accommodate an error on your end? So frustrating. Just fix it. It worked perfectly before, through many updates, and now it's just borked.

[edit, intended to quote @JackieKoand reply, my bad]

Edited by TahliahCOH
  • Like 1

• Dev Post
On 6/2/2023 at 7:07 AM, Eluthan said:

Hi GM! Tried to get into the game today and this “recent update” not going away after clicking x or close is happening. The Windows 8 compatibility thing worked. Good day!

Windows 11 

Aorus 15X ASF / with 4070 / I9 processor

On 6/19/2023 at 5:00 PM, Eluthan said:

Hi again, this thing keeps happening once more today! It has not been fixed. Good day!

Hi there, 

Can you confirm if the compatibility mode setting was reverted or remains unchanged from what you set it to a couple weeks ago? 

For everyone who may be reading this thread and impacted by the system alert, can you please confirm if you have gone through these troubleshooting steps? If the launcher issue persists, please confirm what launcher version you are running. 

Thank you

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 5:24 PM, JackieKo said:

For everyone who may be reading this thread and impacted by the system alert, can you please confirm if you have gone through these troubleshooting steps? If the launcher issue persists, please confirm what launcher version you are running. 

Just stop.  I should not have to troubleshoot to launch a game I am paying for. This is a completely your end problem, and it's absurd that you want us to change our settings and "troubleshoot" a problem that is NOT on our computers. This all started with the last update but one, and it's not our problem; it's yours. Fix it.

• Like 2

Today's system alert (June 27th) has made me unable to launch the game. My issues are identical to the OP. 

It's not clear to me what troubleshooting steps I should be taking. The instructions on the linked page are for a cropped launcher. My launcher looks normal, and my Windows 10 font size is set at 100%.

Edited by BNorther

• Dev Post
On 5/10/2023 at 4:45 PM, Foxfirerose said:

I have the same problem.  Changed compatibility mode on the client AND on the launcher, and that fixed it.  At least temporarily......everytime I log out and try to log back in, I have to do the compatibility change to windows 8 again.  It doesn't save the setting for some reason.  At least I can play, but having to do the fix every single time is still pretty annoying.  I am running on Windows 11 Pro btw.

The setting should stay if you change them after you open the launcher. Can you test the following? 

• Open the launcher
  • Set compatibility mode on the browser
  • Close the Launcher
  • Open it again
  • Confirm if the settings remained to what you set them as or if they were reverted 

@Eluthan Can you also test the above? 

• Like 1