Launcher Issues: Troubleshooting steps + Updates

JackieKo

• Dev Post

Hi everyone, 

We’re tracking multiple reports regarding the launcher. In order to keep our communications and flow of information in one place, we will be consolidating everything in this thread. 

These are the issues we are tracking: 

1. Players are unable to close the system alert when logging into the game
  2. The launcher is looping
  3. Players are seeing a Host_windowLoadtimeout error message
  4. Players are seeing a game version mismatch error

The current workaround that we recommend for the first two issues is to manually update your compatibility mode to Windows 8. The paths are as follows: 

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\star wars - the old republic\launcher.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\star wars - the old republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor.exe

In order for this setting to remain, you must update the setting for all users. 

We would like confirmation if this workaround fixes the third issue with the error message. For players who are impacted by this, please confirm whether or not the workaround resolved the issue for you. 

Additionally, we brought down the system alert, so we would like to know the experience of players who tried to log into the game but did not manually check the compatibility mode box. If those players could post an update in the relevant threads above and let us know if they were able to log in, that would be helpful! 

Lastly, we will be rolling out a launcher patch early next week to fix the odd dimensions that some players are seeing with the launcher. 

When I have more info, I’ll update this thread. 

Thanks! 

EDIT: Added game version mismatch issue and updated combability mode setting message to include detail about changing the setting for all users. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• Dev Post

Hi all, 

Thanks for the follow ups and the messages. We are still investigating what causes issues for some players to access the game while the system alert is up. 

Regarding the reports where players are seeing a cropped launcher, the team has found that modifying the text size in the control panel should allow you to see the launcher as intended. If the windows text size is configured above 100%, the launcher will appear cropped. The team will be working on a launcher patch this week to fix this setting. In the interim, you can change the text size manually to fix the cropping issue and then access the game. 

image.thumb.png.33645963bc61eb99e9d481175b3a003b.png

On Windows 10, players can find this setting by clicking Start and typing in "make text" and the setting should show up in your search results. 

image.png.d142066901f3ba47e8c7a8342cf49597.png

Thanks for all the updates, everyone. I'll keep adding to this thread as I get more info. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • Dev Post

Hi everyone, 

We're tracking another issue for the launcher where players see a game version mismatch error when they log in. Thank you to all the players who submitted their host log files to help us troubleshoot further. We are currently working with the network providers to determine the root of the issue as it seems that the new updates did not fully deploy properly for all players. It is highly possible that this is a CDN caching issue that is based upon ISP as we have seen players get back into a good state over time.

We'll keep you posted on an update when we have more info. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

• Dev Post

Hi all, 

The team working on this issue is working on a fix that should correct the game version mismatch error. Currently, we expect the fix to be deployed next week. If that changes or if I get more info before then, I'll update this thread. 

Thanks

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

• Dev Post

Hey everyone, update for today. There are two things happening simultaneously regarding the fix for the game version mismatch error:

• There was an update that happened on the network provider side that was deployed recently.
  • For the fix we expect to deploy to the launcher itself, the team is currently working on further testing.

It is possible that the update from the network provider will direct impacted players to the correct client download which would fix the mismatch error. For any players who are currently impacted, we would like to know if this update fixed the issue for you. Please log back into the game and report your status in this thread.

I will keep updating this specific thread here with new info on the launcher fix as I get it. Thanks for your patience! 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • Dev Post

Hi everyone, 

An update went out for the launcher this morning that will allow players to close the System Alert window by pressing the ESC key if clicking CLOSE does not work. Please let me know if you run into any issues by tagging me in an update in this thread.  

Thanks! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4