Launcher infinitely selfrestarting

Henyk

11 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

Hi all, 

We're tracking the issues that players are having with the launcher here. Please read the post in full and report back here with any updates. I'll be updating the linked thread with updates as I get them. 

Thanks! 

1. Players are unable to close the system alert when logging into the game
  2. The launcher is looping
  3. Players are seeing a Host_windowLoadtimeout error message

I am getting the "Host_windowLoadtimeout error message"   As I indicated previously, setting compatibility mode on the launcher.exe to windows 8 does not fix the issue.  My scenario swtor/retailclient/swtor.exe does not exist because I uninstalled and the installer adds only the launcher which will not run to install the rest of the game.  

• Dev Post
4 hours ago, ValaraukarU said:
  1. Players are unable to close the system alert when logging into the game
  2. The launcher is looping
  3. Players are seeing a Host_windowLoadtimeout error message

I am getting the "Host_windowLoadtimeout error message"   As I indicated previously, setting compatibility mode on the launcher.exe to windows 8 does not fix the issue.  My scenario swtor/retailclient/swtor.exe does not exist because I uninstalled and the installer adds only the launcher which will not run to install the rest of the game.  

Hey there, 

The team asked if you could send over a log for them to review. Can you please send the host.developer.log file to support@swtor.com when you can? It's usually found in C:\User\AppData\LocalLow\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher

Please be sure to include your account name and the email address associated with your SWTOR account. 

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

Hey there, 

The team asked if you could send over a log for them to review. Can you please send the host.developer.log file to support@swtor.com when you can? It's usually found in C:\User\AppData\LocalLow\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher

Please be sure to include your account name and the email address associated with your SWTOR account. 

Thanks!

I have completed this request.  Note: I have sent this in my original support ticket as well.  

Edit:  Thanks for continuing to look into the issue.

Edited by ValaraukarU

On 5/11/2023 at 11:17 PM, ValaraukarU said:

Just as a FYI, support specifically told me to turn off compatibility mode on the launcher.  Setting it on or off doesn't resolve my current Host_WindowLoadTimeout issue.

That is why I did not comment to you and not for your problem. Windows 8 Compatibility mode is the solution for his problem, not yours. Sorry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't log in today. Worked fine yesterday. Now today I'm getting never ending circle Launcher not responding - "The Launcher is looking for available updates..."

I haven't had a problem until today. I hear others are having the same issue.

I shouldn't have to repair or change any settings as I've never had an issue with the launcher.

Something is horribly wrong with SWTOR servers for this to happen to me. It's on their end.

UPDATE: Did the latest windows update 2023-05 (or whatever it was), restarted and now I can log in. but I have some weird huge pink diamond on my screen..... wth is going on....

Force closed the app and started back up. now it seems fine. so weird.....

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been able to log in for over a week now when I was logging in on a daily basis. The launcher wasn't exactly looping, it was just not loading the game past the log in screen. I'd enter my password & it would accept it, then it would try to launch the game... then freeze... and wouldn't get past the loading screen more than twice in about 9 days. Those two times it did get past the loading screen I got to server selection, tried to click something only to discover it frozen.

I've tried nearly every fix in this thread, that included w/ and w/o running it in compatibility mode (8), downloading directx9 (as per swtor customer service), making sure everything is whitelisted by my firewall and anti-virus, repairing the launcher and swtor (both the steam and non-steam at separate times --- which also means Iv'e tried various fixes and also reset them or reinstalled the game after unintsalling about 8 times so far. I cleaned my pc, tried to fix any and every file fragment or registry error, I've checked to make sure all my drivers were updated manually (manually if necessary). I checked the file integrity via steam numerous times, and ran the "repair" fix others have mentioned in options. I've tried running swtor/launcher in admin mode which didn't work. I've checked my hardware to make sure everything was working and didn't find any problems.

And I just can't log in anymore. I've even removed extra apps I wasn't using often just to clear up more memory, and checked to make sure there were no unnecessary background processed running that were eating memory.

I've tried to test my download speeds, and check my internet connection as well.

I've tried cleaning out the steam cache, as well as manually checking for any windows updates in case I missed something. 

So everything is up to date, it works, there are all up to date drivers, I have the appropriate directx according to customer service...

I'm kind of at a loss here now. Heck I even changed my passwords in case I was hacked or something.

But the launcher still won't finish loading the game. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2023 at 12:40 AM, cacophonycat said:

I haven't been able to log in for over a week now when I was logging in on a daily basis. The launcher wasn't exactly looping, it was just not loading the game past the log in screen. I'd enter my password & it would accept it, then it would try to launch the game... then freeze... and wouldn't get past the loading screen more than twice in about 9 days. Those two times it did get past the loading screen I got to server selection, tried to click something only to discover it frozen.

I've tried nearly every fix in this thread, that included w/ and w/o running it in compatibility mode (8), downloading directx9 (as per swtor customer service), making sure everything is whitelisted by my firewall and anti-virus, repairing the launcher and swtor (both the steam and non-steam at separate times --- which also means Iv'e tried various fixes and also reset them or reinstalled the game after unintsalling about 8 times so far. I cleaned my pc, tried to fix any and every file fragment or registry error, I've checked to make sure all my drivers were updated manually (manually if necessary). I checked the file integrity via steam numerous times, and ran the "repair" fix others have mentioned in options. I've tried running swtor/launcher in admin mode which didn't work. I've checked my hardware to make sure everything was working and didn't find any problems.

And I just can't log in anymore. I've even removed extra apps I wasn't using often just to clear up more memory, and checked to make sure there were no unnecessary background processed running that were eating memory.

On 5/9/2023 at 5:52 PM, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone,

The team is also suggesting the following fix for this issue:

• Download the SWTOR installer from here
  • Run it and click on Repair. It should look like this 

image.thumb.png.8967d06ba11355b2f7abde8dbb41fff7.png

This should update the launcher directly. After the process is complete, open the launcher as normal. Please let us know if you continue to experience this issue after following the above steps.

Thanks!

I've tried to test my download speeds, and check my internet connection as well.

I've tried cleaning out the steam cache, as well as manually checking for any windows updates in case I missed something. 

So everything is up to date, it works, there are all up to date drivers, I have the appropriate directx according to customer service...

I'm kind of at a loss here now. Heck I even changed my passwords in case I was hacked or something.

But the launcher still won't finish loading the game. 

this unfortunately hasn't done anything for me, i have tried multiple time now and still having the same problem, loads to press play after logging in and then the play button goes dark but doesn't load. 

Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Users\calvi\OneDrive\Desktop\launcher.exe
Creation Time: 16/07/2023 14:43:05
Problem: Scripted Diagnostics Native Host

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:           PCA2
Problem Signature 01:         launcher.exe
Problem Signature 02:         6.1.2.80
Problem Signature 03:         Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher
Problem Signature 04:         Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher
Problem Signature 05:         BioWare
Problem Signature 06:         100
Problem Signature 07:         1

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: (18446744073709551615)

11 hours ago, darklordbeckyy said:

loads to press play after logging in and then the play button goes dark but doesn't load. 

This is normally either missing the directx legacy files or C++ 

try directx 9 legacy files https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35
otherwise try installing C++ via https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe , all else fails install the game via steam as that will also install the required packages 

Note the file swtor support provides ending with 8109 for directx does not install auto when the file is run , this one will

Edited by OwenBrooks

Hmm, I was stuck dealing with this little debacle today myself.  While it may not work for everybody, what fixed the 'Launcher Loop' for myself was simply going into Task Manager and ending ('End Task') the SWTOR APP / Process.  From there, I rebooted the Launcher and it immediately 'looked for updates' for a second or two before allowing me to Sign-In.  Err, pretty straightforward... but again, it might not happen for everyone.  Best of luck to anyone looking to fix this issue.

• Like 1

There has been no official response since mid-May. Am I correct ?
I've been struggling with this for 4 weeks, every 3-5 days. This time nothing has worked for 3 days.
I've tested all the suggestions. I just feel like I wasted my life with all this testing.
If only I hadn't subscribed for 3 months in good memory of the game.
That makes no sense, so the termination is out now.
(And I usually also pay monthly fees for games when I'm not actively playing them: for being able to do it at any time and for the fact that the developers continue to deliver exciting content. I don't feel like paying for faulty programming.)

10 hours ago, Marasna said:
There has been no official response since mid-May. Am I correct ?
I've been struggling with this for 4 weeks, every 3-5 days. This time nothing has worked for 3 days.
I've tested all the suggestions. I just feel like I wasted my life with all this testing.
If only I hadn't subscribed for 3 months in good memory of the game.
That makes no sense, so the termination is out now.
(And I usually also pay monthly fees for games when I'm not actively playing them: for being able to do it at any time and for the fact that the developers continue to deliver exciting content. I don't feel like paying for faulty programming.)

If you have set the compat to windows 8 , be sure the antivirus is not blocking the launcher update as well , this is possible 

There seems to be a couple threads with launcher issues, and a couple different launcher issues.  This one seems the most relevant to me, so posting here.

My specific issue is that when I click the launcher, it doesn't open.  I'm experiencing this problem on three different computers, all of which have previously run SWTOR without issue.  I've tried all the trouble shooting steps suggested on this thread without any succuss.  I tried uninstalling and re-installing SWTOR on the newest computer, but that didn't fix the issue, the launcher still won't open.  I'm out of ideas and beyond frustrated with the time I've wasted trying to get this working.

Please help

13 hours ago, Khabor said:

There seems to be a couple threads with launcher issues, and a couple different launcher issues.  This one seems the most relevant to me, so posting here.

My specific issue is that when I click the launcher, it doesn't open.  I'm experiencing this problem on three different computers, all of which have previously run SWTOR without issue.  I've tried all the trouble shooting steps suggested on this thread without any succuss.  I tried uninstalling and re-installing SWTOR on the newest computer, but that didn't fix the issue, the launcher still won't open.  I'm out of ideas and beyond frustrated with the time I've wasted trying to get this working.

Please help

if its happening on 3 computers are they using the same antivirus/firewall ? try tethering a computer to your mobile internet not wifi and see if any change 

I can rule out antivirus and firewall.  Disabling them doesn't change anything.  These are computers that have until recently run SWTOR without issue.  I should add that I can get SWTOR to run on a 4th computer, so I can rule out anything weird happening with my home network or internet provider.

For the computers that do not work, the launcher doesn't launch at all.  With all three the only file that is getting written to is the host.developer.log file.  All three end at the same point:

07/26/2023 13:41:17 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (www.swtor.com)
07/26/2023 13:41:17 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (patchnotes.swtor.com)
07/26/2023 13:41:17 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (ts9a.swtor.com)
07/26/2023 13:41:17 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (launchpad.swtor.com)
07/26/2023 13:41:17 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (patcher-telemetry.cloud.swtor.com)
07/26/2023 13:41:17 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (pather-telemetry.swtordev.biowareonline.net)
07/26/2023 13:41:17 DEBUG - Added read only registry path to whitelist (user\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Accessibility\)
07/26/2023 13:41:17 DEBUG - Added read write registry path to whitelist (user\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers\)
07/26/2023 13:41:17 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (n5dnfmgsthx4oeyphn4odbvqky5nq3fc.skin)
07/26/2023 13:41:17 INFO - CEF 103.0.11+gb1e93e1+chromium-103.0.5060.114
07/26/2023 13:41:17 DEBUG - Crash reporting enabled
07/26/2023 13:41:17 DEBUG - Failed to localize (STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™)
07/26/2023 13:41:17 DEBUG - WorkflowManager - Overall Progress - -2.00 (0)

I can't identify any obvious differences between the computer that works and the three that do not.

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the list. Unable to launch SWTOR on my desktop since May. Host_WindowLoadTimeout error. I have finally installed it via Steam, but the lag and disconnects make it unplayable.

I am a subscriber and not happy that I have no access for three months and counting.

On 8/8/2023 at 4:05 PM, Martyha said:

Add me to the list. Unable to launch SWTOR on my desktop since May. Host_WindowLoadTimeout error. I have finally installed it via Steam, but the lag and disconnects make it unplayable.

I am a subscriber and not happy that I have no access for three months and counting.

Steam shouldn't be causing any major lag or disconnects , the steam overhead is minimal on any modern computer, otherwise no one would play via steam

When playing try opening a command prompt as administrator and ping say 8.8.8.8 with the -t command and see if there are any timeouts , ctrl c to stop  , be sure to play by ethernet direct to the modem not via wifi 

example of what you should see 

C:\Users\User>ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=118

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 17, Received = 17, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 34ms
Control-C
^C

if there are major timeouts by seeing * then a closer look at your internet connection is warranted

On 7/28/2023 at 6:25 AM, Khabor said:

I can rule out antivirus and firewall.  Disabling them doesn't change anything.

Still an issue ? if so make a post over at the technical issues forum https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/bd-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en

one thing i can mention is just disabling an AV doesnt mean the antivirus isnt interferring, AVs like bitdefender and eset in the past the only way to tell they interfered with swtor was to uninstall them and recheck 

example of bitdefender only when removed swtor behaved https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/56978/bitdefender-2015-seems-to-break-swtor , not sure this is related to your situation but cant hurt to eliminate it as a cause

Edited by OwenBrooks

• 3 weeks later...

Mine continues to be stuck with the Host_windowloadtimeout error 3 months later.  I’ve been playing via steam, it is not ideal as I don’t love having to launch it through steam, but it works.  I have not heard anything from dev since they requested logs from me in may.  

12 hours ago, ValaraukarU said:

Mine continues to be stuck with the Host_windowloadtimeout error 3 months later.  I’ve been playing via steam, it is not ideal as I don’t love having to launch it through steam, but it works.  I have not heard anything from dev since they requested logs from me in may.  

The cause is still unknown , swtor are unable to replicate this error to date 

I gather if you look in your dxdiag the crash reports look like below ? with the crash is reported with the chromium framework file libcef.dll

Problem signature:
P1: launcher.exe_Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher
P2: 6.1.2.80
P3: 63d3414e
P4: libcef.dll

• 1 month later...

I had not had any trouble recently with the launcher, until yesterday.  When I first set up my current Windows 11 box about a month ago, I had an issue that was fixed by installing an older version of DirectX9, but since then it had been fine.  Yesterday the launcher got stuck forever checking for updates.  (Not a restart loop, just spinning.)  I tried restarting the launcher, rebooting the computer, and downloading the launcher that lets me access a Repair option; still stuck.  Then I found this thread and saw the suggestion to set Windows 8 compatibility.  That fixed the problem.  I checked with my wife who runs Windows 11 on a Mac and she had run into the same issue and had given up; we tried the Windows 8 fix and it worked for her also.

• 3 weeks later...