Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Currency Cap Means I Play Other Games

Jdast

21 minutes ago, MortenJessen said:

Problem is, tech frags are about as useful as sun lotion at the bottom of the ocean. You cant really buy any gear with them.

Other than Legendary Implants.  And tacticals.  And some cosmetics.  Some stronghold decorations.  But after that, yeah, they do not have much use.  So no reason to hold onto them, then.  Just convert them into credits via RPM's and OEM's.

• Like 3

While I understand the number of different currencies represents unnecessary complexity, I am not sure I understand being both capped and still grinding for gear. I was never capped until I reached 336 and had nothing else to spend them on. You can make an argument that players may leave the game more often post-gear grind than before, but not seeing how capping on currencies before getting to max gear should drive players away. What am I missing?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xordevoreaux said:

The more tokenized (more variation in currencies) a game has, the harder it is for anyone one farmer to farm enough of all of those currencies to matter to skew the economy.
Also makes it easier to slow players down through the progression of expansion content.

Want to really see what's a lot of currencies? Check this out

If it was up to me, they would convert all currencies to credits and only rely on reputation as their time gate mechanism. 

But if they aren’t willing to do that. Then they should have an currency exchange on the fleets that allow you to exchange one currency for another. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Toraak said:

You can already do that. conquest comms, wz-1, and FP-1 I know can be converted to tech frags. I've never looked at the Op-1 to see if that is possible. I want to stay capped on those

I mean all the currencies in the game, including things like cartel certificates. 

5 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I mean all the currencies in the game, including things like cartel certificates. 

I wouldn't expect that. For one thing it shouldn't happen for all of the various Events that happen every few weeks. Nothing wrong with having different currencies for Rakghoul event, Bounty event, Gree event etc. Nothing should be able to be converted to those special events.

As for the Cartel Certs, that should also stay seperate. From my understanding I think (could be wrong) they removed these from the CM packs by now. So the only places to get them are the rare drop from the one gambling machine deco people may have or from the Nightlife event. This is one of the biggest reason's to actually do the Nightlife event, so it should remain a seperate currency.

15 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

If it was up to me, they would convert all currencies to credits and only rely on reputation as their time gate mechanism

I really don't understand how BW can ignore that there are simple and elegant solutions to several problems. Reputation is already in game, they don't need to code a new system.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Balameb said:

I really don't understand how BW can ignore that there are simple and elegant solutions to several problems. Reputation is already in game, they don't need to code a new system.

Not to mention that, surprise, surprise, removing those tertiary currencies and converting all of those items to a straight credit cost is an already inbuilt credit sink that just needs to be switched on.  I know I would certainly spend credits on those things if the event currencies were removed.  I simply can not be ar..., erm, bothered to do another Swoop Rally (gods I hate that event).

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 12:21 AM, Jdast said:

Obviously, I'm subscribed so you still get my U.S. $15 / month but...

It has now been 4 months since the release of 7.2. I am tired of rotating around characters to not reach the cap on various currencies.

I don't enjoy wasting my time earning worthless currencies. My only solution is to reach the cap and and move on to a different game.

It boggles the mind as to why you want me to play other games. You can say, "Well, Dasty, we have your $15 /month!" to which I say, you don't have my CC coins.

Your overly convoluted gearing system means I play this game less. Think about that.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Your point is valid!

Additionally:

** They (b/w) killed off any real interactions with companions (you know ... one of the better defining items when SWTOR was first released) ...  AND ... the game has suffered!
** The latest "improvements" in the gearing system (while still better than when 7.0 was first released) is severely lacking ... the game continues to suffer!
** The latest SH is in one of the most depressing parts of the game (IMO) ... and many have little interest in it  (cf. how many players actually suggested it over the years.)
** Inflation ... don't EVEN get me started on this subject.  It's almost as if someone decided to destroy SWTOR from the inside out!  What a MASSIVE mess!!!  AND SWTOR has been dealt a HUGE negative blow from even the most conservative of supporters!!
** Frankly outside of the release of the Mando story line ... exactly what have we really had to look forward to in over 18 months! Someone is NOT listening very well!!  And the game has continued to suffer!
** IMO if there was as much concern over how to REALLY GROW this game as there was effort placed into the development of CM items it would potentially give games like WoW a serious blackeye!!  BUT FOR now ... as it stands ... the game continues to suffer!!

This may seem a bit over the top to some ... but the old man has just about reached the end of his rope!!!

I have not bothered to log in for over two weeks now!!  There is no real reason to do so!  
Frankly even the GS rewards are seriously lackluster!! 
Lastly: it should be noted that I doubt seriously that very many team members actually WANT my feedback on other stuff right now!!  (trust me on this one!!)

OK!!!  I'll get off my soapbox now!! 

• Like 1

Interesting dilemma.  Its not a currency bubble like the 2008 housing crisis, things are valued correctly because there is enough liquid currency to support.   In real currency, the Fed would tax to slow, but what do you do with this when taxing doesn't really do anything?  Its only going to get worse as multi-billionaires become increasingly common. 

On 4/26/2023 at 8:38 AM, MortenJessen said:

Problem is, tech frags are about as useful as sun lotion at the bottom of the ocean. You cant really buy any gear with them.

As I said earlier, you can buy OEMs and RPMs with them which are needed to craft CM-1337 which in turn is needed to craft gold augments. Gold augments are part of the gearing process, so, essentially you can pay for part of that process with tech frags. You claiming that tech frags are useless doesn't make it so regardless how many times you repeat it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, VegaMist said:

As I said earlier, you can buy OEMs and RPMs with them which are needed to craft CM-1337 which in turn is needed to craft gold augments. Gold augments are part of the gearing process, so, essentially you can pay for part of that process with tech frags. You claiming that tech frags are useless doesn't make it so regardless how many times you repeat it.

Fragments are also useful for buying gear, especially the implants. And even if you don't craft the augs, you can sell those OEMs and RPMs for ~150M. It really is a bizarre claim. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ardrossan said:

Fragments are also useful for buying gear, especially the implants. And even if you don't craft the augs, you can sell those OEMs and RPMs for ~150M. It really is a bizarre claim. 

3 hours ago, VegaMist said:

But that requires me to actually care about that venue. I care about getting token gear. And I cant get more tokens from tech fragments. No matter how many times you two repeat it. 

As for buying those things and turning them into credits... Well, while not among the richest in game, I have enough to not care even if they sold for 20 bil, so making them into credits also only hits home IF THAT WAS WHAT I INTENDED.

On Topic:

What players want, exept you two it seems, is the ability to turn one type of currency they dont want into the type they want, and in unlimited numbers (or at least 99999), no matter what you think about OEM or implants, or what ever. In that regard, techfragments ARE useless. 

Edited by MortenJessen
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, MortenJessen said:

But that requires me to actually care about that venue. I care about getting token gear. And I cant get more tokens from tech fragments. No matter how many times you two repeat it. 

As for buying those things and turning them into credits... Well, while not among the richest in game, I have enough to not care even if they sold for 20 bil, so making them into credits also only hits home IF THAT WAS WHAT I INTENDED.

On Topic:

What players want, exept you two it seems, is the ability to turn one type of currency they dont want into the type they want, and in unlimited numbers (or at least 99999), no matter what you think about OEM or implants, or what ever. In that regard, techfragments ARE useless. 

So, we've established that you don't care about the actual purpose of tech frags, and have been insisting that they're useless as an objective claim, even though they clearly aren't, when what you mean to say is that they aren't useful to your particular playstyle. 

I don't disagree with the OP about his overall point, not sure why you're grouping me and the other poster together since more than a few of us have separately disagreed with your 'argument' (mainly colorful metaphors about how useless tech frags are) while in agreement or partially with the OP itself.

You will probably find less disagreement if you avoid making objective claims that, when examined, are actually very subjective

I also don't understand the difference between what you are claiming to be "on topic" versus what you said before that, other than that you bolded the on-topic stuff. Of course, subjectively, I could note that few of your posts seem to have had much relevance to the larger discussions, 'on topic' or not.  

Edited by Ardrossan
on topic
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ardrossan said:

You will probably find less disagreement if you avoid making objective claims that, when examined, are actually very subjective

You see... the whole point of this thread is "Remove the currency cap". I made a suggestion to add to it, that not only remove the currency cap (OP) and then also let us exchange the currencies interchangeble one to one or so (My part). Now, for some reason some one suggested that I buy tech frags instead with my surplus currency (while not in and on its own a bad idea, it is irrelevant to my proposal)... Well, you see, thats were it went wrong. Since techfrags are about as useless as sunlotion at the bottom of the sea here. What ever else tech frags can be used for, does not change the fact that I want to interchange currency to currency. 

So meh, go away. 

Of course, subjectively, I could note that few of your posts seem to have had much relevance, 'on topic' or not.  

Just to use your own words against you.

not sure why you're grouping me and the other poster together since more than a few of us have separately disagreed with your 'argument' (mainly colorful metaphors about how useless tech frags are) while in agreement or partially with the OP itself.

Because I DO agree with the OP. I just dont agree with those who suggest I buy techfrags and use those for other purposes, when my proposal was an added utility to OPs suggestion. 

Edited by MortenJessen

On 4/26/2023 at 3:20 AM, cach-x said:

They don't want people to hoard and get everything on day 1 when new stuff comes out

ironically thats exactly what happened with 336 mods in 7.2

lots of people, myself included, were stockpiling excess gear rather than deconstructing it (also because of the lack of currency sinks at the time) and had more than adequate resources to toss a freshly made 336 blue and purple at Hyde and Zeek to unlock the new mods, shortcutting even more of the "convoluted" (plot twist, linear upgrade paths are the exact opposite) gear grind to have quick, cheap alt-ready gear

and daily resource matrices still don't have a sink, they're the only level 80 currency without a sink, i can only reason that the lack of such a feature after so long is due to spite

yeh any cap in the game for subscribers is riddiculous.  I paid, so why should I face the cap? 

Apparently, they couldnt even manage to convert spare / old stuff appropriately, i.e. Carnage Marauder's Fang God Form bought for 1 million credits + 3000 tech frags is sellable for 6700 credits.  💀

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.