Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

So how will 64bit improve my game experience?

RevBurt

We can not say specifically how it will affect the game once it comes to live, only relay our experiences when it was on the PTS.  For myself, I saw a graphics improvement and was able to up my settings from high to very high.  But, the tree rendering engine was still being upgraded so on the PTS trees were not rendering.  That could have been why I saw a performance increase, or it could translate to better performance on live.  It is hard to say.

Not sure, unless you tried it on the test server I don't know if anyone can answer that for you personally. I also think at this point until it go's live, think different players will have different experiences with it.

For me, not even sure my PC will play it at all. Guess I will find out myself when it go's live. If I cannot play, then guess my time with this game is over. If it does, hopefully without any issues. However not really expecting that outcome.

Anyway best of luck, hope you don't have any problems yourself with it. If it does not improve the game for you, lets hope it does not make it worse.

Edited by SavantDreadtech

4 hours ago, SavantDreadtech said:

Not sure, unless you tried it on the test server I don't know if anyone can answer that for you personally. I also think at this point until it go's live, think different players will have different experiences with it.

For me, not even sure my PC will play it at all. Guess I will find out myself when it go's live. If I cannot play, then guess my time with this game is over. If it does, hopefully without any issues. However not really expecting that outcome.

Anyway best of luck, hope you don't have any problems yourself with it. If it does not improve the game for you, lets hope it does not make it worse.

Why would your system NOT run it?  I mean, if you are still on a 32-bit OS with no 64-bit hardware, then sure.  And, frankly, you deserve to not run it.  64-bit has been a thing for YEARS, like a lot of years (20 years for consumers, even longer for enterprise architecture).  If it's not running because of some issue with your 64-bit system, that can be fixed by your troubleshooting and could be something as simple as a driver issue.

This is some pre-meditation fear-factor thing you have going on here.  Did you try it on PTS?  What was happening with your client when you ran it on 64-bit? What was your failure error?  

Lots of questions.

From what I saw on PTS, better performance, less lag in crowded area (haven't been able to convince people to go after the Nightmare Pilgrim on PTS to see how it compare but the rest was less laggy), better graphism. On what we do not see but feel, BW should have an easier time producing content (any type of content) as they won't be limited in their possibilities the way they currently are, that should also allows them to create zones with more content (quests, npc, etc), they will have access to new tools that was limited to 64bits, etc. So directly you should not see a lot of things but in the background it's like they exchange their motor from a 1769 Cugnot Steamer to a brand new sport one.

6 hours ago, Diamaht said:

Will it increase responsiveness?  As in having abilities fire smoothly the moment the button is pressed?

In the very short term, probably not, especially if you are far (in Internet ping time terms) from the server, where there will be at least the delay for the message to get to the server and back.  (For me, that's mid-20s of milliseconds, but for someone in Australia, it's north of 200, which is visible.)

In the longer term, the extra memory available may allow them to do do things they don't currently have the memory available to do.

On 3/26/2023 at 10:59 AM, RevBurt said:

If I played 32bit and 64bit side by side, what changes will I notice, if any?

You will notice that you'll have a lot more free time as you get to download the entire freaking thing again.  35 GB.

Beyond that, it all depends on IF they did any recoding with going to 64 bit.  If they didn't, then you really won't notice anything.

3 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

In the very short term, probably not, especially if you are far (in Internet ping time terms) from the server, where there will be at least the delay for the message to get to the server and back.  (For me, that's mid-20s of milliseconds, but for someone in Australia, it's north of 200, which is visible.)

In the longer term, the extra memory available may allow them to do do things they don't currently have the memory available to do.

Australia also plays with 200 MS? Wasn't it higher?

17 minutes ago, OneYenShort said:

You will notice that you'll have a lot more free time as you get to download the entire freaking thing again.  35 GB.

13 minutes to download and install on this 10 year old pc but the servers are still offline so maybe by tonight.
I'd say a few hours from now worth of free time :ph_great_update: 🙌

64-bit will give the client access to much, much more memory. That means more can be done without needing to load anything (or even worse swap things). I don't think there will be a lot of change in this first iteration. But, if they follow through, they will be able to have more people in places, higher resolution textures, bigger areas, more things on screen, faster loading times, less pop-in, limits on things like credits and bank size should be more easily raiseable, the list goes on and on.

11 hours ago, Diamaht said:

Will it increase responsiveness?  As in having abilities fire smoothly the moment the button is pressed?

Probably not. That's more of a latency, client prediction issue. 

Edited by StrikePrice

This isn't something you will really see in the short term, except for *some* performance improvement, but the magic is what they could do with the game overall, and expandability with 64-bit.  We're talking updated DX, DLSS, all kinds of new things they couldn't do before.

If they plan to keep this game out of maintenance mode (and taking on a huge task like this is a good indicator of that) then we could potentially see a lot of content coming our way.

• Like 1

for the test server,,I had it for a while,,and earlier today after the download was finished I was curious to see if it was up,,then It began to redownload the entire 38gig PTS,,this is after I downloaded this mornings 35gig patch,,I cancled it and went to see in my folders and my original PTS is still there,,was this is a bug? I only ben on the PTS 1 time so I can`t tell or not.

3 hours ago, ronin_chi_lao said:

13 minutes to download and install on this 10 year old pc but the servers are still offline so maybe by tonight.
I'd say a few hours from now worth of free time :ph_great_update: 🙌

Must be nice.  I think it will take 8 hours for me.   And then another 8 for the wife unless I bother to figure out how their file system works.

I think it will be auto applied, we haven't heard anything against this idea and anyway the game need to be on 64bit to be able to do more than just survive, and even hopefully thrive, allowing players not to move to 64bit would be going directly against their bext interest.

10 minutes ago, PLeahC said:

Apparently the only difference right now is lots more lag. Fleet general chat was just people complaining about lag especially in any group content.

Wasn't the plan to also move servers to a different data center?  If that happened, I could see this being possibly part of the issue, along with servers normalizing after a huge patch like this.  I didn't experience any lag at all, except fleet chat actually stopped for several minutes, then picked back up a couple of times.  No group content though, but I know people were wanting to run some Ops to test.

I'd expect lag to be up and down a bit over the next couple of days. The download was 35 GB and that's a lot of data transfer to accommodate over limited bandwidth legs. I'm up a little on lag as well but I'm chalking that up to internet traffic.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.