Testing 64-bit on the PTS!

JackieKo

Hi, I've noticed that when I'm playing if I tab away that the SWTOR window closes up. This is an issue if I'm waiting for a q to pop and have tabbed away because I won't see or hear the pop and odds are good if I'm just waiting for a pop I'm chatting in Discord or doing something on my 2nd display.

2 hours ago, MmeScourge said:

Hi, I've noticed that when I'm playing if I tab away that the SWTOR window closes up. This is an issue if I'm waiting for a q to pop and have tabbed away because I won't see or hear the pop and odds are good if I'm just waiting for a pop I'm chatting in Discord or doing something on my 2nd display.

There's a setting in the audio preferences to keep playing sounds when SWTOR is in the background.

There's also a setting, this time in the graphics preferences, to run in "Full-screen (windowed)" (might be "Windowed (Full-screen)"), where it doesn't minimise when you switch away from it.

Was able to log in, but I didn't see any significant performance improvement.  That said, I have an older system with a lower end video card:

Windows 10 Build 19045

I7-8750H CPU

GTX-1050 GPU

All graphics settings at Medium or Low.

Live system Mek-Sha Bazaar displays at 3.4 fps, PTS displays at 4.1 fps.  I chose this area as it is one of the worst open world areas for me to play.  Several of the newer flashpoints have similar issues.  

I went to Umbara FP on both PTS and Live, and saw no difference in the frames per second. For me at least, 64bit doesn't do anything in performance that 32bit isn't already doing.

30FPS standing around.

20FPS fighting the first batch of mobs.

On 12/20/2022 at 10:15 PM, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone, 

Surprise! Players can test 64-bit on the PTS right now! As mentioned in the letter from Keith, we are getting ready to move to 64-bit. This is the thread that can be used to submit feedback. Please also read through the PTS article and this post entirely before jumping into the PTS. We are currently looking for how well the game runs in this environment and would like the following feedback. 

Did you experience a crash? If so, please provide:

• System specs - processor, video card, OS version
  • What were you doing before the crash happened?
  • Please provide a DxDiag report and send it to support@swtor.com with the subject line 64-Bit PTS Testing

As there are thousands of permutations of processor, memory, graphics card, etc…we're especially on the hunt for issues that show up with specific configurations. Please play as you normally would, and if there is anything strange happening, let us know about it! 

Known issue: Trees and foliage as they will look broken or be completely invisible. Upgrades are being made with the modeling software that builds these environment assets which is why they will not appear as functional during this phase of testing.

Special notes: 

• This phase of testing will feature 7.2 content
  • As all the assets are being updated, players should expect a near full download of the game when downloading the PTS
  • Character copy is available

Thanks!

EDIT: Updated to read that this PTS patch will feature 7.2 content instead of 7.1.1. 

Can you make a list of fixed bugs, so we can test that as well on PTS? If there are any bugs fixes.

What bugs? 

1. People being dead in ops frame when they are alive (operation frame)?

2. The bugged Attractor between Watchdog and Kanoth, people already tired of dying there for no reason?

3. The infinite loading screen you get when you leave some instances?

4. Healers not being able to revive some players after they die, because game says that target doesn't exist?

5. Scale the dps check on Apex Vanguard NiM as it is suppose to be?

6. IP-CPT going under the floor, still?

A lot of players would like to have some developer testing that with them instead of role playing in PVP.

• Like 1

I didn't measure FPS, but it seemed that there was a noticeable uptick going from live to PTS, both on fleet and in a warzone.

I did have to turn Windows 8 compatibility mode on in order to log in to the game (live or PTS) via the non-Steam launcher. I typically play on Steam, with no problems.

Has anyone playing in the APAC region or western USA/Canada/SthAmerica, noticed if the Ping to the PTS is higher or lower than you’re usual Ping to the live servers. 

If it is different, can you please list your location, local time of day & what your Ping to the PTS & Live server is. 

Thank you in advance 🙏

On PTS I had more issues with Infinite Loading Screen than on Live, specifically at least 1 infinite loading screen per travel to Alderaan. No other planets behaved in the same way from my (very) limited testing (on Oricon, Dromund Kaas. Mek-sha).

Also when trying to fast travel to Alderaan via Weekly Heroic and getting an Infinite Loading Screen, upon login I was still on the Fleet and had to try travelling again.

Most time I (Germany) was alone on the testserver, except one time where I could play PVP.
I playing with low - middle graphic settings.
I facing no problems.
Except if you travel to planets the loading screen take longer (round 1 minute) as usual. Which is not a real issue.

Laptop Dell Precision 7510 i7-6820HQ 2.70Ghz, 16GB RAM
Grafik: AMD FirePro W5170M 2GB
Harddrive: External SSD
64-bit Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19044
Monitor: Dell U3419W 3440x1440

On 2/16/2023 at 2:43 PM, joshydj said:

I didn't measure FPS, but it seemed that there was a noticeable uptick going from live to PTS, both on fleet and in a warzone.

I did have to turn Windows 8 compatibility mode on in order to log in to the game (live or PTS) via the non-Steam launcher. I typically play on Steam, with no problems.

You can play PTS on Steam if that helps.

Am 5.2.2023 um 15:00 schrieb MortenJessen:

It was a complete re-install of the pts. I had to remove the installation I already had, to install the new one 😡 It did download 38 Gb, and my f drive ( the SSD with swtor) sent me warnings that it had reached its limits and no more room was available, so I deleted the pts install that I had and started over. 

As an aside, I have a 1 Gb fiber connection, it only took like 8 mins to download the install, and a further like 20 mins to install it, so not that it was a problem, I just find it weird that I had to re-install the entire thing over, since I cant find any notes that says that my (now previous) version is (was) different from the new one....

Just a note: A completely filled up SSD tends to run slower than an empty one. New high quality SSD's run at 500-600 mb/s reading speed. I myself got a 500 GB SSD for steam only that used to be very full (games take lots of space these days) and a benchmark revealed that it only ran with ~230 MB/s. My 1 TB HDD, only 1/3s filled, runs at ~190 MB/s at the same time. I cleaned up some space on my gaming SSD and got the speed up to ~350 MB/s, but that's probably the best I'm gonna get, considering that it's almost a decade old now.

So, while "SSD" sounds good, having it filled up almost completely isn't doing you any good. The difference to a regular HDD is very small. Getting a new SSD with 500 GB or even 1TB would do wonders to your gaming experience, I would assume.

Back to topic: Has anyone stresstested 16man operations (Nahut comes to mind here) on PTS before it went offline? There are some 16man achievements on the menu for my group and I wonder if it's going to be worth it to wait for the 64bit version to hit the live servers before working on those.

On 12/20/2022 at 12:15 PM, JackieKo said:

Known issue: Trees and foliage as they will look broken or be completely invisible. Upgrades are being made with the modeling software that builds these environment assets which is why they will not appear as functional during this phase of testing.

it's so strange looking, no trees in DK yet, totally makes it feel like a different planet 🤠

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, ceryxp said:

According to their Twitter they took PTS down yesterday and did not even bother to post that here.

i don't understand why these new forums can't have some 'widget' incorporated within the Dev Tracker here to automatically  re-post ANY  official  public SWTOR Twitter messages , so that certain paying customer$ who aren't on Twitter can still remain just as informed as anyone else.

Please  @JackieKo  ask the forums Team if  it's even feesible? ( or necessary )

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

i don't understand why these new forums can't have some 'widget' incorporated within the Dev Tracker here to automatically  re-post ANY  official  public SWTOR Twitter messages , so that certain paying customer$ who aren't on Twitter can still remain just as informed as anyone else.

You know what is funny?  I did not see that by going to their Twitter, which I do regularly.  I saw that on EA Answers HQ when I went there to link someone to a support article.  EA had enough forethought to put their Twitter stream on the Answers HQ, but BW did not think to put it on their own forums.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/bd-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en

• Dev Post
On 3/17/2023 at 1:57 PM, Nee-Elder said:

I'll see what can be done about that. There's other development in the works for the forums, so we'll see what will be possible. Also, I was out of the office for a couple days last week. Looks like the announcement was missed for the forums, so I'll update the processes BTS to make sure the forums are updated so this doesn't happen again in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

• Dev Post
On 3/17/2023 at 1:30 PM, Kazuone said:

so 7.2.1 could be on live server next tuesday !

Not yet, but soon! As in the coming weeks. We're solidifying some of the finer details first before announcing the actual date. We'll be making a post on the forums once we're ready to do so. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1