Large tooltip Anchor changes won't save (reverts back to default)

VanuGreg

First of all, allow me to start with that I absolutely love the UI changes. The game looks so much better now!

However, something I noticed is that the Large Tooltip doesn't stay anchored to my mini-map when I select that. As soon as I log out or when there is a loading screen it resets to "Anchored to Position". It's not a game-breaking bug, but it's a little tedious to have to set it back to "Anchored to Mini-Map" after every log in or loading screen.

• Like 2

They seem to have completely broken the large tooltip placement. When I select the "Anchor to Mini-map" option and then Save, the large tooltip immediately moves to the opposite side of the screen, not even close to the minimap! No matter what I try, no matter how many times I move the damn thing, it just keeps moving to the opposite side of the screen! Go back into the Interface Editor and the Large Tooltip has indeed moved to the opposite side of the screen, nowhere near to where it's been placed for years! So I have to move it back to where I want it and then

Basically the "Anchor to Mini-map" option for the Large Tooltip no longer works correctly. It's broken and apparenrtly nobody noticed this at any time during testing!

I've had to re-arrange my entire UI becasue of the new "improvements", particularly due to the two new "Utility Bar" elements! Why did they have to ruin the Mini-map display? There was absolutely nothing wrong with how it was, but now it's messed up and it's broken the Large Tooltip, so now the display of the Large Tooltip is fugly as hell!

Anyone else noticed that on Utility Bar 1, where it displays the number of players on your planet/instance the third digit is cut in half because, apparently, a triple digit number is too many digits to display correctly!

I've wasted enough time on trying to sort this mess out! BioWare really needs to stop fixing what isn't broken and instead actually fix all the broken stuff. But no, apparently it's more fun to just break more and more things!

39 minutes ago, GrizzlyUK said:

Anyone else noticed that on Utility Bar 1, where it displays the number of players on your planet/instance the third digit is cut in half because, apparently, a triple digit number is too many digits to display correctly!

I don't think that would had been caught on PTS,  since there wouldn't been that many on PTS . Guess not everything can be tested or looked at in PTS

11 minutes ago, Achnaattwo said:

I don't think that would had been caught on PTS,  since there wouldn't been that many on PTS . Guess not everything can be tested or looked at in PTS

Well obviously for that to have been noticed there would need to be 100+ players in the planet/instance and you're likely correct that there simply wasn't that many players who tested this new content on the PTS. However, the broken Large Tooltip display really should have been noticed, but maybe nobody ever bothered to try using the "Anchor to Mini-map" option. *shrug*

Regardless of what happened on PTS, the Large Tooltip display is now completely broken and you simply cannot use the "Anchor to Mini-map" option because, for some weird reason, the game automatically moves the Large Tooltip to the opposite side of the screen to where the mini-map is actually placed! This results in the Large Tooltip looking fugly because it no longer blends into the overall UI and you have to use the "Anchor to position" option instead! But that results in a large block that just looks out of place and is, quite simply, very fugly to look at!

I really don't understand the thinking behind pulling everything out of the mini-map and putting it all on a "new" Utility Bar that is seperate from the mini-map. It was really nice the way it was, but now it's just a fugly mess! I wonder how many players had spent hours getting their own UI layout "just right" and now these new UI changes have simply ruined every players UI layout!

It seems that BioWare just cannot stop themselves from messing around with the UI, which was, quite possibly, the one aspect of the game that never really needed any "fixing" until BioWare started screwing around with the UI in Patch 7.0 and they just seem determined to make things worse! The UI changes they made in 7.0 didn't blend in with the existing UI at all, so instead of fixing the new to match the existing they're slowly changing the existing to match the new!

4 minutes ago, GrizzlyUK said:

mini-map

in the interface, just set mini-map to maximal, and it should all be back  the way you want it to work

I'm still updating so I can't see if there has been any changes added since PTS last update, it'll be a few hours till I can.

I would say disable utility bar 2, and maximal the mini map, but in PTS, that meant no exit.

Just maximal mini map in interface, and see if that solves your problem with the tool tip being attached to mini map, I just unable to check for you right now

My mini map is set to maximal and I still can't get my large tooltip to stay anchored to my minimap. Even tried saving it under a new name. Didn't work. Every time I change instances, it reverts back to that ugly big black block of writing. I hate it. Instead of playing the game, I'm having to waste my time redoing my UI setup. Awesome......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AlainaFlute said:

My mini map is set to maximal and I still can't get my large tooltip to stay anchored to my minimap. Even tried saving it under a new name. Didn't work. Every time I change instances, it reverts back to that ugly big black block of writing. I hate it. Instead of playing the game, I'm having to waste my time redoing my UI setup. Awesome......

that sux,  just finish my update 🤸‍♂️, so now I can see what was messed up

Here to confirm this one (noticed someone already made a couple threads about it haha!).  I assume it's not a class-based thing (Pub side, Jedi Sentinel here).

It happens every time you change instances...and is quite annoying.  Not game-breaking...but goes to show that the UI changes (which we tried to correct on PTS with feedback) once again went through without listening to hardly any feedback at all.

I really shouldn't be surprised by now lol

yeah finally got to check, it indeed was changed when last tested on PTS. Had a feeling things like this was going to happen.

guess I'll be figuring out again how to work around  it again.

I used to have it attached to mini map,  but I no longer did a couple weeks before this update

Yes, please fix this as soon as possible.

I have the mini map back to the way it used to be and every time I go from fleet to my stronghold or anywhere, I get the god awful big rectangle font over my mini map when I hover my mouse over my abilities or on an enemy/ally and I have to change it every time in my UI settings.  It really is quite annoying and I know a lot on fleet were mentioning this, myself included. Please fix this ASAP.  Thank you.

7 hours ago, GrizzlyUK said:

It seems that BioWare just cannot stop themselves from messing around with the UI, which was, quite possibly, the one aspect of the game that never really needed any "fixing" until BioWare started screwing around with the UI in Patch 7.0 and they just seem determined to make things worse! The UI changes they made in 7.0 didn't blend in with the existing UI at all, so instead of fixing the new to match the existing they're slowly changing the existing to match the new!

My thoughts exactly. But I need to point out it started with 6.0, when we got the pop-up tooltip of inventory items if they were placed in our quickbar and we accidentally hover over it with a mouse. Superfun with the mandatory clickable relics, adrenals, medpacks and so on...

Tbh, I don't know how much more of these "improvements" I can take. I hate having to fix the UI every time I transit into a different area, but I hate having to look at the ugliness if I don't. The only solution seems to be disabling large tooltip completely, which is ironical because I would have loved to have that option on the inventory items tooltip for several years now, and we still don't have that option.  So now I can disable the large tooltip and miss all the information it used to give, but I still can't get rid of the pop-ups on top of my quickbar when I move my mouse over it. 🤪

• Like 2

Would also like to bring attention to this.

And it is not just the mini-map option. It's both Anchored to Mini-map and Anchored to Mouse options: whenever you switch instances / planets / whatever, the Interface defaults to Anchored to Location. And I personally do not like the look of Anchored to Location, it is obstructive, regardless of changes to placement, size or opacity.

Switching back and forth between different Interface profiles fixes the issue, but this does get incredibly annoying.

8 hours ago, lessandracassidy said:

Would also like to bring attention to this.

And it is not just the mini-map option. It's both Anchored to Mini-map and Anchored to Mouse options: whenever you switch instances / planets / whatever, the Interface defaults to Anchored to Location. And I personally do not like the look of Anchored to Location, it is obstructive, regardless of changes to placement, size or opacity.

Switching back and forth between different Interface profiles fixes the issue, but this does get incredibly annoying.

Yeah I'm seeing the same problem. Keep trying to get it anchored to mouse as I personally prefer that but it keeps just resetting to fixed location. 

The problem I'm seeing with the Large Tooltip is that when I select the "Anchor to Mini-map" option in the Interface Editor, save the UI and exit the Interface Editor the Large Tooltip is immediately moved to the opposite side of the screen to where I placed it attached to the Mini-map. If I then open the Interface Editor again the Large Tooltip element has indeed moved to the opposite side of the screen.

No changing area, no load screens, no transitions of any kind are needed, I do nothing other than exit the Interface Editor and the game just moves the Large Tooltip as far away from the mini-map as it can! I'll grab some screenshots later and then add them here so that, hopefully, everyone can see what I'm trying to explain,

• 2 weeks later...

Already posted in another thread, same as DeannaVoyager... This is freaking annoying... Opened an in-game bug report, ticket, whatever, still the same crap. It seems that PTS doesn't serve as a testing platform at all. I mean it does, yes, but if you freakn do something with the UI, then for FSake test them changes somewhere before releasing it into production! And please BioWare, don't try to tell us that such a thing went "...below your radar" as it is a huge thing painfully visible! There are so many people here who pay their hard earned money to play, thus letting something as this unattended is unacceptable for a company of your magnitude! Fix that bloody thing, ASAP!  

• 3 months later...

Just got a new SWTOR update!!! I wonder if they fixed it. NOPE!!! But you know what they did do? F***ing taxed people for fast traveling. Stop spewing out buggy content. Eventually the game will be so unplayable it will have to be shut down. This is not an isolated incident. Please just give us one patch… just one.

• 4 weeks later...

End of April 2023 and this is still not fixed! Though it does seem they did something somewhere because at least now when I set the Large Tooltip with the "Anchor to Mini-map" option it stays like that instead of instantly jumping to the opposite side of the screen when exiting the Interface Editor. But, of course, as soon as I either change location or log out of the game the Large Tooltip instantly resets to the "Anchored to Position" option which is utterly fugly. Either reloading my custom interface or switching to one of the default interfaces and then back to my custom interface sometimes fixes this, but not every time and when that fails to fix the Large Tooltip bug I have to go into the Interface Editor, select the Large Tooltip and once again select the "Anchor to Mini-map" option and then save my custom UI once again!

So, 5 MONTHS this has been an issue (so far) and it's still not fixed! But hey, instead of actually working on fixing these "minor" bugs they give us such exciting new content as charging fees for Quick Travel etc! Quite frankyl I'm really starting to think that BioWare are just trying to drive as many players away from the game as possible, that way they then have a legitimate excuse to shut the game down due to declining playing numbers even though those declining player numbers are actually due to BioWare's own constant failures and mistakes! 😲

Edited by GrizzlyUK
  • Thanks 1