Is SWTOR even a MMO?

The_Old_Empire

Everything feels so linear and feels as if its not open-world. Each zone you teleport to via your spaceship and each of the planets you are restricted for example there may be mountains covering around the planet and thats where it ends. Theres no sense of open world where if your at a planet you cant just ride there without having to have a stupid loading screen.

Its basically.. * Walk to Spaceship * * Click Planet * * Loading Screen * * Your now at the planet *. So its not really open world when everythings loading. Your gonna hate me even more saying this but World of Warcraft was always open world.

I could go from Darnassus to Stormwind by walking, flying without stupid loading screens. The only time you would get loading times if you went on a boat, or went into an instance. In this game it's a linear path you follow.

Whats up with that?

Judging by your first comment I seriously doubt you've actually played this game

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing massively-mutliplayer in this game for me.

Perhaps our definitions are different? I have yet to see a single opposing faction player in the real world. I play on Dark Reaper, one of the most populated west coast servers.

Not one opposing player. Very few of my own faction is in the real world. I see quite a few in the space station, but nothing compared to other MMO's I've played.

The game reminds me in a number of ways of Guild Wars, with everything instanced and effectively no interaction in the real world. Except, I don't have to pay a monthly sub for that game. I'm really not sure why I have to here.

I define massively multiplayer the same way it's been defined for every other MMO in history.

Go play WoW from 1-85 and see if you ever see anyone else outside of the major cities. On my server there are always at least 5-10 people in my immediate area whenever I am questing. Our warzone queue is essentially non-existent in peak hours (playing empire on a pvp server if that tells you anything). People are constantly forming groups for flashpoints. Finding groups for heroic quests takes no more than 10 minutes, and is usually as simple as asking once in general.

Maybe you're just a higher level than the majority of players. Go roll an alt and see how many people you see questing in the starter zones and chapter 1 zones. There's tons of them. On my alt last night it was instant WZ queues and dromund kaas was literally filled with people playing.

Edited by VicSkimmr

This has to be sarcasm.

Do you remember EVE and EQ2's launches? :rolleyes:

Lol, nope, not sarcasm. Yes, I do remember them.

Now that I think about it, I'd say that Battlefield 1942 was a better MMO than TOR as it sits today and that wasn't even an MMO obviously.

Having said that I've still only seen a small part of the game and as time goes on I may change my view. Until TOR gets past it's startup chaos and gets into a rhythm like all MMO's do it's going to be hard to figure just how the game will play out. But until then it sure looks like a shared single player game.

Everything feels so linear and feels as if its not open-world. Each zone you teleport to via your spaceship and each of the planets you are restricted for example there may be mountains covering around the planet and thats where it ends. Theres no sense of open world where if your at a planet you cant just ride there without having to have a stupid loading screen.

Its basically.. * Walk to Spaceship * * Click Planet * * Loading Screen * * Your now at the planet *. So its not really open world when everythings loading. Your gonna hate me even more saying this but World of Warcraft was always open world.

I could go from Darnassus to Stormwind by walking, flying without stupid loading screens. The only time you would get loading times if you went on a boat, or went into an instance. In this game it's a linear path you follow.

Whats up with that?

You're lying.

There's a loading screen between Darnassus and Stormwind (hint: it plays when you're on a boat).

Lol, nope, not sarcasm. Yes, I do remember them.

Now that I think about it, I'd say that Battlefield 1942 was a better MMO than TOR as it sits today and that wasn't even an MMO obviously.

Having said that I've still only seen a small part of the game and as time goes on I may change my view. Until TOR gets past it's startup chaos and gets into a rhythm like all MMO's do it's going to be hard to figure just how the game will play out. But until then it sure looks like a shared single player game.

I've seen hundreds of people in Tatooine and Hutta. I've done some open-world PvP in Tatooine--where two guilds went head-to-head. It was fun to get mixed up as an intelligence agent.

Just realize that some of the later worlds are massive and take almost a dozen hours to complete.

Edited by Darren_Kitlor

There is no your definition / our definition.

There is MMO vs Single Player.

This is an MMO; it is one of those debates where fact > opinion; and opinion doesn't matter to begin with.

It is an MMO; it is just implemented differently and people are spending far too much energy trying to make it what they are used to rather than trying to get into it for what it is. That is not the designers fault; that is the fault of the player.

My definition is based on the words used in the definition. It is illogical to proceed any other way.

Therefore, your definition of "massive" in the context of online video games must be around ten people. I apply a different number set to "massive." Mine is in the thousands.

It is not the fault of the player if he or she takes information literally, or believes that what is conveyed (by developers) is legitimate. What you're suggesting is that it's the buyer's fault if he/she drives a lemon off the lot, because the car salesman told him/her that certain features of said car were functioning and adequate.

Blaming the consumer for an inadequate product is the first step in either denial (that a product is bad) or disillusionment (determined to like something no matter what its faults).

I look at people like Shadysketchy and wonder...if this game is so bad, why are you still playing? If you're not playing anymore, why talk about it on the forums? You're not providing a service. You're being annoying. Go away and let the people who enjoy the game do so without your baseless arguments.

My definition is based on the words used in the definition. It is illogical to proceed any other way.

You could just use the standard definition of the term. They have search engines for it. The guy's right, you are wrong. This game is, by definition, and MMORPG. It's just one that you don't seem to like. Which is fine. There's dozens more.

You could just use the standard definition of the term. They have search engines for it. The guy's right, you are wrong. This game is, by definition, and MMORPG. It's just one that you don't seem to like. Which is fine. There's dozens more.

Of course it's fine.

My definition is the only one that matters to me. Since I'm the one paying for it.

I choose to classify the game as a co-op game, and describe it as such to others thinking of purchasing the game. The definition of someone else is utterly irrelevant. The game is, by definition, not an MMORPG. By my definition. Your definitions do not apply. Neither does Bioware's.

Therefore, your definition of "massive" in the context of online video games must be around ten people. I apply a different number set to "massive." Mine is in the thousands

Thousands in what space? Last I read SWTOR sold over 1 million confirmed copies and has over 2 dozen servers. OVER 1 MILLION copies

FYI, 1 million > 1 thousand

And yet you don't consider it a MMO?

Even if they had 1,000 servers they'd have 1,000 people per sever

Do you expect 200 people around you at any given point? Where do you see that, ever, in a game?

Main citys have no player controlled and 90% are taken up by Non-talkable NPC's. This game is not a Sandbox which frustrates me. Should of been 2 Planets with lots of Sandbox in both of them. I know the SW Lore and I know I would complain because we would miss out on other planets but they could of been added in expansion packs.

I just wanted a Sandbox Star Wars MMO, I can offically say I hate Theme-Park MMO's and they are not for me. I'll play untill my subscription is over.

My definition is the only one that matters to me. Since I'm the one paying for it.

That's now how language works. You can continue to call it something it isn't, but your definition isn't the one accepted as standard.

It's like you're saying the sky is pink, because in your mind pink is what everyone else sees as blue. And to you, those aren't clouds up there. Those are Tarwaters' own brand of Unicorn.

So you go through life seeing a pink sky with fluffy unicorns.

Have fun with that in your co-op game.

Whats up with that?

You could go to Stormwind from Darnassus by flying and walking?

So that loading screen that exists between when you got on the boat in Auberdine to get to Stormwind didn't exist at all huh the rest of us just imagined it?

You're also not obviously funneled into the next zone through narrow entryways that basically guide you to the next quest hub right?

You honestly expect to "walk" from planet to planet?

Aside from this painstakingly obviously pointless argument...

this game is as MMO as you choose to make it. Just like any other MMO Bioware provides the means for you to group and interact with other players. If you CHOOSE not to do that, then it is on you entirely. You can run around WoW, Rift, whatever all you want solo and it feels the exact same way, or you can choose to be sociable and group with others and it then feel like a multiplayer game.

Simple as that. Don't expect ANY MMO developer to hold your hand the entire time and MAKE you group.

Edited by HavenAE

I ll agree that its not really an MMO in the open world sense, but how do you make a multi-planet sandbox anyway? Its very linear and is poor as far as an MMO game. But please remember that the outdated graphics and the reskinned WOW feel is there because the company needs to make money, not doing anything innovative. The consumer never demanded innovation, they demanded a lightsaber. So draw a light saber and code it WOW style. I dont see what all the complaining is about really...

Ok listen everything in WoW was perfectly crafted and because of the cartoony graphics everything looked beautiful.

Darnassus - Purple imagery with lots of trees and a main city. You can jump off Darnassus tree into the Water and than use a gryph to Darkshore. Ok you did need a boat from Darkshore to get to Wetlands but at the end of the day everywhere seemed more open. If you was at Darkshore you could travel to different parts of the world via walking, mount, etc.

In Star Wars I understand there are planets but more should of been added where you could go to lots of places in that planet. In WoW you have so much more freedom because it's a sandbox game. Star Wars should of had 2 Planets with the other planets being added in Expansion Packs.

This would of allowed more sandbox type of game. But some people are happy with a Theme-park one.

Main citys have no player controlled and 90% are taken up by Non-talkable NPC's. This game is not a Sandbox which frustrates me. Should of been 2 Planets with lots of Sandbox in both of them. I know the SW Lore and I know I would complain because we would miss out on other planets but they could of been added in expansion packs.

I just wanted a Sandbox Star Wars MMO, I can offically say I hate Theme-Park MMO's and they are not for me. I'll play untill my subscription is over.

Next time, don't buy a game assuming it'll be something it's not. Even the most cursory review of The Old Republic would've told you this was a themepark game.

Thousands in what space? Last I read SWTOR sold over 1 million confirmed copies and has over 2 dozen servers. OVER 1 MILLION copies

FYI, 1 million > 1 thousand

And yet you don't consider it a MMO?

Even if they had 1,000 servers they'd have 1,000 people per sever

Do you expect 200 people around you at any given point? Where do you see that, ever, in a game?

I'm finished with Tatooine and have only seen one enemy player my entire time in game. One.

If overall population is your definition of MMO, then LOL is an MMO. But your logic isn't sound. First, not all of those players are playing at the same time. Not all of those players are playing on the same faction. Not all of those players are playing on the same planet. Not all of those players are playing in the same planet instance.

You make it sound like there's a big world out there, when in truth -- it's a compartmentalized world where every player gets a small, allotted room.

Hey, and that's fine. I get it. If that's what some people want, I hope they have a great gaming experience and really enjoy themselves. I have quite a bit of fun playing this co-op game, but once my story is over -- I doubt I'll continue to play for a co-op game every month.

Again, that's okay. Gamers have different tastes. There are lots of games out there I want to play, and I will move on once I'm done here. I figure they'll get two months out of me to play my character up to max level. So, no harm, no foul. You may decide to stay, and that's great that you're exercising your right as a consumer.

But I will always refer to this game as co-op. Or, as another buddy of mine said: KOTOR 3 with friends. I would've rather had just single-player KOTOR 3, but I'll take what I can get.

Ok listen everything in WoW was perfectly crafted and because of the cartoony graphics everything looked beautiful

This would of allowed more sandbox type of game. But some people are happy with a Theme-park one.

1. WoW is a theme-park game

2. If you prefer WoW, go play WoW. Some of us play SWTOR because it's not WoW and we don't want to listen to people whine about how great WoW is. We left that bloody game for a reason

3. Everything you are complaining about is a matter of taste. I personally love this game and, while I admit it does have flaws (as everything does) I also know it has been out a whole 11 days (officially) so curb my whining

4. I can haz your credits?

It's not an mmorpg.

It's a morpg

Seems like everyone in these forums has no knowledge at all.

Does anyone know the word massive and it's meaning when it comes to mmorpgs.Of course u dont.

Massive means big open world that is so big u can get lost in it and u have tons of things to do in this world.

Well starwars it's not a world it's a bunch of instances that kills the world massive.

So no it's not an mmorpg it's a singleplayer game wich plays only online just like diablo 3 in order to reduce piracy.Got it?

The worst part is that they demand u to pay for this multiplayer game in which im totaly negative.

Now say thank to god that u learned something in your misserable knowledge and celebrate with a cookie.

Actually that is your opinion on what it means, but thanks for the effort.

On topic, yes this game has all the elements of other mmos, therefore making it, surprisingly an mmo, imagine a persistent online world full of other people and as the game progresses in time and development the instances on the worlds slowly become one.

It also has all the other ingredients you expect to find in a themepark mmo, no it isn't sandbox, frankly all the sandbox games I have tried so far have been extremely lacking in anything that would make me or other new players want to stay.