Why 7.0 was really delayed???

BallisticKaine

I would love to hear from JackieKo, DavidStaats, BiyantWood, EricMusco, KeithKannig, or even ChrisShcmidt. Why was 7.0 really delayed. Other than the weapon stamp being removed from the last PTS build that we could play, what went live to servers is identical to that PTS build. Seems like nothing was fixed in that 2 month delay. Was it delayed all for that CGI trailer? In all honesty that is what it is seeming like to me at this point.

I would love to hear from JackieKo, DavidStaats, BiyantWood, EricMusco, KeithKannig, or even ChrisShcmidt. Why was 7.0 really delayed. Other than the weapon stamp being removed from the last PTS build that we could play, what went live to servers is identical to that PTS build. Seems like nothing was fixed in that 2 month delay. Was it delayed all for that CGI trailer? In all honesty that is what it is seeming like to me at this point.

If I had to guess it was to not repeat what happened december 2014 when there was a big bug that couldnt be patched due to the devs being on holyday break.

Imagine they dropped this patch and then it had to be as is on live for like a month without fixing anything.

If I had to guess it was to not repeat what happened december 2014 when there was a big bug that couldnt be patched due to the devs being on holyday break.

Imagine they dropped this patch and then it had to be as is on live for like a month without fixing anything.

Have you not seen the Bug report list???? Get off that. This build that went live is identical to the last PTS build minus the weapon stamp for outfits.

They were on holiday

I'm guessing to give all the staff a proper holiday and prevent them burning out/resigning? Absolutely nothing was done to the game over that time, hence it being rolled out with all the bugs. I did everything except ops on the PTS and I don't know how it managed to be worse live but it is. I really enjoyed the PTS as I thought (wrongly) that all the bugs would be sorted out so that made them forgivable but now they've made it into live. Almost everything in the known issues thread was fed back in the PTS. I wish they had delayed again.

Yeah, I wonder if it was the trailer or a huge game breaking bug -- because it doesn't seem like much happened in the 2 months of extra development time.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Most likely due to the issues they had with the Weapon part of costume designer, which was pushed up to 7.1, and to finish the polishing work on the FP.

The real question is: If the game is this buggy now, how buggy would it have been if they launched with all the planned features 2 months ago?

Don't forget, a lot of features and improvements have been pushed up to later patches.

I knew it would be like this. Trying to stay positive and think it's just a matter of getting used to things, but I don't know. The new UI and class icons look way worse. The old ones were cooler. Lots of bugs. Female facial hair customization is disturbing. Might be time to find a new MMO.

That CGI trailer was damn awesome though.

Stop, that is complete an utterly wrong.

Its honestly not though. Its been like this for as long as I remember. Every major update they released during the holidays would remain broken and we'd get no word from BW till February because the Austin studio goes on holiday break from the end of December and most of January.

Anyone who's been here long enough knows this.

None of the mentioned BioWare staff will answer that question.

I'd like to know how do you go from the most useless Community Manager position, to Game Producer, but I'll never get that answer too.

First, you have to understand that gaming companies are one, very insular, and two, very "circle the wagons" at the first sign of dissent.

By "insular" I mean they have their own culture (good or bad), cliques form, and ideas from "outside" are often discounted immediately as "they don't understand how we do things" (or the even more prideful "They (the ubiquitous 'they') "don't understand what we're doing")

Promotion often comes from within. "Hey if Person_A can code, then obviously they can lead a coding team!" Not true. VERY not true. There is a Pacific Ocean-sized difference between the responsibilities OF coding and the tasks and duties of a team LEADER.

"Circle the wagons" is easy. Artists (Be they painters, musicians, or game developers) don't like having their creativity questioned. The response is to metaphorically cross their arms, while sticking their fingers in their ears. Hence why, between December and January there were very few posts from the community manager, and even fewer from the Development team. (I assume they went near radio silent on the PTS forums).

Iin that sense, players "get in the way". Players demand {CONTENT}. Thought out quests, challenging raids, engaging flash points, all while wanting their class to be relevant. WoW, for all its warts and peccadillos DID put out content. A LOT of content. (WoW expansions ran about every 22 months or so, with generally, LARGE content patches. Even the last patch for Battle for Azeroth (7.3 iirc) released more content than this "expansion").

However, if the game is going away in 2023, if the Devs don't care, or are incapable of creating content of any substance, then maybe this is what you get.

The deafening silence from the Development team speaks volumes - and not in a good way.

First, you have to understand that gaming companies are one, very insular, and two, very "circle the wagons" at the first sign of dissent..

In other words: gaming companies are crap at software engineering.

Yes, I've observed this in the decades I've been playing MMOs.

First, you have to understand that gaming companies are one, very insular, and two, very "circle the wagons" at the first sign of dissent.

By "insular" I mean they have their own culture (good or bad), cliques form, and ideas from "outside" are often discounted immediately as "they don't understand how we do things" (or the even more prideful "They (the ubiquitous 'they') "don't understand what we're doing")

Promotion often comes from within. "Hey if Person_A can code, then obviously they can lead a coding team!" Not true. VERY not true. There is a Pacific Ocean-sized difference between the responsibilities OF coding and the tasks and duties of a team LEADER.

"Circle the wagons" is easy. Artists (Be they painters, musicians, or game developers) don't like having their creativity questioned. The response is to metaphorically cross their arms, while sticking their fingers in their ears. Hence why, between December and January there were very few posts from the community manager, and even fewer from the Development team. (I assume they went near radio silent on the PTS forums).

Iin that sense, players "get in the way". Players demand {CONTENT}. Thought out quests, challenging raids, engaging flash points, all while wanting their class to be relevant. WoW, for all its warts and peccadillos DID put out content. A LOT of content. (WoW expansions ran about every 22 months or so, with generally, LARGE content patches. Even the last patch for Battle for Azeroth (7.3 iirc) released more content than this "expansion").

However, if the game is going away in 2023, if the Devs don't care, or are incapable of creating content of any substance, then maybe this is what you get.

The deafening silence from the Development team speaks volumes - and not in a good way.

WoW devs are pretty tone deaf too, but yes despite their recent expansions being terrible, they did have a good amount of content in them. I wasn't level cap in 15 minutes and done in an hour.

I think Yoshi-P and his team over at square enix have been the most open I've ever seen from ANY developer. Their live letters are literally 6 hours long sharing all sorts of information about their upcoming updates. I've seriously been spoiled by just how good that games update cadence is and how open their dev team is.

I think Yoshi-P and his team over at square enix have been the most open I've ever seen from ANY developer. Their live letters are literally 6 hours long sharing all sorts of information about their upcoming updates. I've seriously been spoiled by just how good that games update cadence is and how open their dev team is.

I've heard a lot of positive things about FFXIV. I know they received a huge boom in player population last year. The player base often raves about the development team. But I've stayed away from Eastern MMOs because they're usually heavily monetized and full of gambling mechanics.

With Western MMOs failing and my long-time home of SWTOR being in the state it's in however, maybe it's time to check that game out. Either that or Lost Ark I guess.