Update on the Legacy of the Sith

KeithKanneg

I would understand a 2 week push back that makes sense to be fair.

However a 2 month push back means their is a tremendous amount of unfinished work. Which if their is a ton of unfinished work they could've pushed it back sooner and not get everyones hopes up the week before launch.

Apparently that means no launch party for the devs that they said they'd have in their live stream sorry about ur party.

You can do a ton of work in 2 months about like 40 working days then overtime let's say 50 days of work by thr team. So let's say theirs 5 members on the team working on the project. Your talking about 2000 man hours of unfinished work on the game.

I really think bioware should've told us sooner.

But anyways thanks for not giving us a update that needs 2000+ more man hours of work.

They are not working on this for two months. Most of that time (from next week onwards till mid to late January) they are on vacation not doing a damn thing about the game. This is a two week pushback at most, once you take out their vacation time.

Edited by xmarcusprimex

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that this has been asked before, but I'd like to ask it as well.

Are there any plans to compensate those who've bought a subscription just to get access to the 7.0 content?

Personally I've bought a two month subscription for 30 euros just so I could get the expansion and play with the combat styles for a month... I am not capable of buying another subscription so soon, so this would basically mean I've spend my money on content I didn't receive, and I'm sure this counts for quite a few people out there.

From what I remember, you have once before in the past given people who subscribed an extra month of subscription to compensate the delay time. Will you be doing something similar this time, or will players in a similar situation to my own be out of luck?

They are not working on this for two months. Most of that time (from next week onwards till mid to late January) they are on vacation not doing a damn thing about the game. This is a two week pushback at most, once you take out their vacation time.

Well its not good business practice 🙃 the whole world keeps moving. Never heard of a whole crew taking a month off. But must be nice to work for bioware. Seems you can take a lot of breaks and not be responsible if u don't hit deadlines. I may apply for a job lol.

damn, indeed. I didn't think about their holiday vacation which will definitely mean more delays since they won't have enough working time lol. Pushing this farther than december is an extremely bad idea because of annual dev's holidays and weekends which means they won't work much during this period....

I am of the mindset they need to actually pull off the bandaid see what actually happens with the live servers because we truly will not know what is going to happen with the game until then but i can see why they are not doing it because that means they would have to work through christmas and new yrs rather than spend time with their families. also when you think about it i am surprised it was cleared for Dec 14th at all because technically disney does not allow multiple star wars content being released same month which would have fell in the same month as Book of Boba Fett which could have been another reason it was delayed.

Are there any plans to compensate those who've bought a subscription just to get access to the 7.0 content?

Personally I've bought a two month subscription for 30 euros just so I could get the expansion and play with the combat styles for a month... I am not capable of buying another subscription so soon, so this would basically mean I've spend my money on content I didn't receive, and I'm sure this counts for quite a few people out there.

From what I remember, you have once before in the past given people who subscribed an extra month of subscription to compensate the delay time. Will you be doing something similar this time, or will players in a similar situation to my own be out of luck?

There wont be and they don't care.

This is good. I really think they should considering people bought subs for Christmas

Well its not good business practice 🙃 the whole world keeps moving. Never heard of a whole crew taking a month off. But must be nice to work for bioware. Seems you can take a lot of breaks and not be responsible if u don't hit deadlines. I may apply for a job lol.

How long have you been playing? This is standard operating procedure for BW. They always release the expansion around the holidays and then have the time off and bug fixes do not get done until late Jan/early Feb so the break is normal since launch.

Steam Deck launch is also delayed until February 2022. Coincidence?

I haven't been following this at all since I am not a console gamer, but this does sound related. I do wish them the best, and if a port is in the cards, I'm happy that we'll get more players!

You should end the ranked season on the original December date. Players have earned where they're at and deserve receiving their rewards- extending a season by 2 months 1 week before it was due to end seriously hurts the competitive aspect of the format, particularly platinum rewards. I'd prefer to see a longer pre-season where new players can practice and gain skills to hit the ground running in the following season.

I also believe that if the season isn't ended as originally planned, the ranked population will be relatively low from the original December date to February 15th, leading to easy wintrading and queue manipulation opportunities for players who didn't earn their rewards during the actual season.

I agree. Seasons drag on long enough as it is. Either way though, we really need to know as soon as possible whether the season is still ending on 12/14 or is also being extended to 2/15.

How long have you been playing? This is standard operating procedure for BW. They always release the expansion around the holidays and then have the time off and bug fixes do not get done until late Jan/early Feb so the break is normal since launch.

Probably longer than you have to be honest. I'm pre beta so one of the originals to sign up on the forums and one of the first to play the game before launch over 10 years ago.

Anyhow still long working break should be in the past and change with the times. Especially how important the launch is. Most companies do time off throughout the year instead of one chunk

So, I don't post to forums a lot, but there is one thing I'd like to say here; out loud:

Some have commented that "they didn't assign enough workers," or "aren't working fast enough." Having witnessed the insane levels of burnout and mental breakdowns of game developers - and working myself in an industry where this level of burnout is equally high - I want to go on record saying that whipping the devs to make them work harder is not how we fix issues like this. It's how gave development has been done in a lot of games, and it never leads to anything good. Sure, the content gets out earlier, but it is all the worse for it, and no one is satisfied by it. Meanwhile, good men and women get so burnt out that they leave the industry and never come back or end up suffering very real mental trauma that lingers for years afterward.

I agree that the development schedule wasn't targeted well. But if the dev team needs more time to make it happen correctly, then we need to give them more time. Forcing them into "crunch" and risking having good devs run, screaming, from the building isn't worth it. Delays are never fun, especially around major releases and around holidays - and we got both here. That being said, I would gladly take a six month delay if necessary to keep the team healthy and happy and turning out a great gaming experience.

My opinion isn't going to be taken all that highly - as I said I rarely ever post to forms. I just couldn't let those comments go without addressing that we as a community are directly responsible for making game studios push their workers beyond the brink, and I for one am not going to put up with that anymore.

Probably longer than you have to be honest. I'm pre beta so one of the originals to sign up on the forums and one of the first to play the game before launch over 10 years ago.

Anyhow still long working break should be in the past and change with the times. Especially how important the launch is. Most companies do time off throughout the year instead of one chunk

Not actually true on expansions kotfe, kotet and onslaught were actually released in mid october to early november time frame. Classic, Rothc and shadow of revan were actually released in december.

While this is disappointing as I was looking forward to it, its the better decision, take the time to make this expansion as epic as it can be. I always disliked December releases for expansions personally, they tend to be extremely buggy, I still have nightmares over Shadow of Revan's early access.

Hey everyone,

I just made an announcement concerning the launch of our Legacy of the Sith expansion, and I encourage you to read the blog post.

We know you will have some questions in response to the blog, so feel free to ask them here and we'll be addressing them in an FAQ later today which we will continue update as you have more questions.

Be mindful of our forum guidelines as we want to ensure we can quickly answer your concerns and keep more information flowing your way.

---Keith---

I can't believe a billion dollar company like EA made this decision with only 6 days to go. Which mean you left it as late as possible so as many people sub and you can pocket as much income as you can. Which is pretty scummy business practice.

So my question again as i asked here is why has it took so long for you to tell the player base?

You didn't wake up this morning and decide its not ready, you must of seen this for weeks now.

Why after 10 years are Bioware still so bad at communicating things to there player base? You keep giving false dawns and promising you will get better at communication, yet you guys never do!

While this is disappointing as I was looking forward to it, its the better decision, take the time to make this expansion as epic as it can be. I always disliked December releases for expansions personally, they tend to be extremely buggy, I still have nightmares over Shadow of Revan's early access.

that and to be honest you cannot really expect them to release a expansion a week before christmas because that would mean they would have to work during christmas and new yrs which is not going to happen. but lets be real the game is going to get basically 3 extra weeks of work in those 2 months of delay. and its not even going to be enough time to even work out the bugs to be honest.

I can't believe a billion dollar company like EA made this decision with only 6 days to go. Which mean you left it as late as possible so as many people sub and you can pocket as much income as you can. Which is pretty scummy business practice.

So my question again as i asked here is why has it took so long for you to tell the player base?

You didn't wake up this morning and decide its not ready, you must of seen this for weeks now.

Why after 10 years are Bioware still so bad at communicating things to there player base? You keep giving false dawns and promising you will get better at communication, yet you guys never do!

Disney probably was a big factor since Book of boba fett is released on december 30th which is probably the reason for not being released in December nor January. But also holiday vacation is going to take up much of that time for them.

Regarding the delay. Fine by me. But .....

Back at the 6.0 launch renown was introduced with the promise it would also be around in 7.0. For this reason, I hadn't planned on grinding out the lv999 achievement yet as I like to play multiple toons.

When you dropped the bomb that 7.0 would remove renown it meant people like me had to either accept to not get the achievement or scramble and grind their behinds offs.

Question: I'm 250 levels away from 999. I can do this in 1 week if I focus hard. (last week I got approx 250 levels as well). Am I correct to assume I have until 15-02-2022 to reach 999?

So, I don't post to forums a lot, but there is one thing I'd like to say here; out loud:

Some have commented that "they didn't assign enough workers," or "aren't working fast enough." Having witnessed the insane levels of burnout and mental breakdowns of game developers - and working myself in an industry where this level of burnout is equally high - I want to go on record saying that whipping the devs to make them work harder is not how we fix issues like this. It's how gave development has been done in a lot of games, and it never leads to anything good. Sure, the content gets out earlier, but it is all the worse for it, and no one is satisfied by it. Meanwhile, good men and women get so burnt out that they leave the industry and never come back or end up suffering very real mental trauma that lingers for years afterward.

I agree that the development schedule wasn't targeted well. But if the dev team needs more time to make it happen correctly, then we need to give them more time. Forcing them into "crunch" and risking having good devs run, screaming, from the building isn't worth it. Delays are never fun, especially around major releases and around holidays - and we got both here. That being said, I would gladly take a six month delay if necessary to keep the team healthy and happy and turning out a great gaming experience.

My opinion isn't going to be taken all that highly - as I said I rarely ever post to forms. I just couldn't let those comments go without addressing that we as a community are directly responsible for making game studios push their workers beyond the brink, and I for one am not going to put up with that anymore.

That's just not true, we as a player base don't set dates, we didn't pick December 14th and announce it 3 weeks ago when the expac clearly wasn't ready. Bioware set the date, Bioware publicly announced the date. The players didn't pick it, the players didn't demand it by then. This is on Bioware they made the announcement not us.

Hey everyone,

I just made an announcement concerning the launch of our Legacy of the Sith expansion, and I encourage you to read the blog post.

We know you will have some questions in response to the blog, so feel free to ask them here and we'll be addressing them in an FAQ later today which we will continue update as you have more questions.

Be mindful of our forum guidelines as we want to ensure we can quickly answer your concerns and keep more information flowing your way.

---Keith---

Good on ya! Don't push out a turd and then start pointing fingers. That didn't work out so well for SWG. Maybe think about a nice gift for the 10 year anniversary. But, stand strong. A good publish is better for the game.