Premades are hurting pvp participation

ralphieceaser

16 hours ago, Zunayson said:

It's all moot though because this game's population barely supports the current pvp queues. Any matchmaking i fear wouldn't really go well.

There is matchmaking already existing and it's quite a drag, lot of the queue times tend to be really long because of it if you have any sort of success. There's nothing wrong with playing more obj/dps focused a matchmaking system like that would still work as you need someone doing the obj while the other team is too busy to stop you. A good split between them would be healthy for learners and having matches where people just want to fight and some who may just want to hide and cap nodes. It's usually too many eggs in one basket at the moment.

5 hours ago, Beyrahl said:

lot of the queue times tend to be really long

Matchmaking has nothing to do with the current queue times. It’s because the game has lost 50% of peak players since the peak of the last PvP season.

And those of us who used to play PvP for fun aren’t playing until BioWare remove 5-8 man premades. 

The steam numbers are a good representation of overall trends in the games populations. 

https://steamcharts.com/app/1286830#1m

New season starts on the 18th July. Give it 3 weeks & we’ll get a better idea if it’s just because it’s between seasons or other issues.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrixxieTriss said:

New season starts on the 18th July. Give it 3 weeks & we’ll get a better idea if it’s just because it’s between seasons or other issues.

One can hope, any changes would be great... Though there are plenty matches that start and end before I get a pop sometimes on certain WR toons. Sure it'll always go to population issues as it means there are not enough players in my bracket so it needs to continue expanding to find me a match. So it's definitely a mixture of both issues. 

Premade issue would mostly be fixed with the reduction of 8 man queues down to 4 man max. Atm you've got 7 or 8 man premades gunning for eachother. I've seen premades running 2 tanks 2 heals and 3 or 4 very strong dps. Always gonna end badly for any pug group that just happens to find that group when another premade isn't in queue.

If the matchmaker takes into account win rate that's a terrible idea as most premades don't care about winning the match...

9 minutes ago, Samcuu said:

Premade issue would mostly be fixed with the reduction of 8 man queues down to 4 man max. Atm you've got 7 or 8 man premades gunning for eachother. I've seen premades running 2 tanks 2 heals and 3 or 4 very strong dps. Always gonna end badly for any pug group that just happens to find that group when another premade isn't in queue.

If the matchmaker takes into account win rate that's a terrible idea as most premades don't care about winning the match...

just encourages kill squads to essentially throw or do their DMing off nodes. that's for sure.

tbf regarding our earlier discussion, I've spent most of my time on toons between 52% and 63%. the wait times haven't been affected at those win percentages.

I did have win percentages in the 70-80% on the first two out of three toons I leveled up. but that lasted like 2-3 weeks tops. and my third toon go rekt while leveling. which makes me wonder if it's a legacy-wide thing. honestly, BW kept all of this "hidden elo" info and usage so close to the vest that it's impossible to know anything. and that's pretty much what they want.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Samcuu said:

Reading that also makes solo players like me less likely to want to even bother queuing.

Because as soon as the premades groups become uneven, they get put against solo players.

Adding 8 man premades into the pug queue is right up there as one of the top 5 worst things BW have done to PvP (removing ranked was their biggest mistake so far). 

The fact that they don’t realise this & won’t even properly discuss it with the players, shows yet again they don’t understand their own game or players.

PvP player numbers, especially solo players, have dropped off more between seasons than it ever did before. Even last year when the game had its lowest player numbers, there were more people pvping in WZ’s.

This outcome was 100% predictable and pointed out repeatedly by myself & many others here & on social media for 8 months now. The fact that the devs still won’t acknowledge it’s an issue, shows they would rather run players out of the game than fix a simple development mistake. I don’t know if it’s arrogance or some other nonsensical reason on their part 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’m very interested how this next season will go & wether numbers will increase to the same lvls as last season. But I have a feeling they won’t because players are frustrated & have had enough.

@JackieKo How much grace are players expected to give the devs when they make a fundamental mistake that make you not want to play the game anymore & then ignore the issue for 8 months. Do the pvp queue times need to completely collapse between seasons till you’ll walk back this mistake? 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

2 hours ago, krackcommando said:

which makes me wonder if it's a legacy-wide thing. honestly, BW kept all of this "hidden elo" info and usage so close to the vest that it's impossible to know anything

Ive been questioning that since they originally added this hidden ELO a few years ago. 

I’ve tried testing it with brand new alts that I didn’t put into PvP till max lvl. I’ve tried it in lowbies & with veteran Alts. Honestly, sometimes it really felt like it’s legacy wide. But other times it didn’t. 

There is one possibility. It maybe legacy wide, but per class/spec/build. The reason I say that, is when testing, I found class specs that I wasn’t great with or hadn’t played much, didn’t make me try & carry whole teams of pugs. But if it was a main class/spec/build, it didn’t matter if it was a new Alt or veteran Alt, the matchmaking would always make try & carry a whole pug team. 

I just wish BioWare would take that hidden ELO & make it into a leaderboard. Then we could actually see if MM is working properly & if it’s some sort of legacy wide system. 

8 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Because as soon as the premades groups become uneven, they get put against solo players.

Now think of a 4-6dps group... They often bypass going against other groups due to not having support. This type of group irks me the most because it's fun for no one. The moment the queue dies enough which it will after they do this for a while, they get forced against the other groups. They often will never get the support roles in their group as their group is usually too big to have one that isn't solo queued. Which.. almost no support player does nowadays, outside of tanks and most tanks today just kinda play tank to as I quote "live longer."

2 hours ago, Beyrahl said:

They often will never get the support roles in their group as their group is usually too big to have one that isn't solo queued. Which.. almost no support player does nowadays, outside of tanks and most tanks today just kinda play tank to as I quote "live longer."

I'm tellin' ya, man. give up on the WZs. there are still some tanks like that in arenas, but nothing like it is in WZ. I know we're on the same server. arena pop times aren't bad (vis-a-vis WZs). and the fotm thing isn't a problem for players of your caliber. also, the premades are a lot less invasive. iunno why half of them queue for WZs. they might as well slap aoe target dummies in their sh for as much of a fight as they get in generic WZs.

10 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

There is one possibility. It maybe legacy wide, but per class/spec/build. The reason I say that, is when testing, I found class specs that I wasn’t great with or hadn’t played much, didn’t make me try & carry whole teams of pugs. But if it was a main class/spec/build, it didn’t matter if it was a new Alt or veteran Alt, the matchmaking would always make try & carry a whole pug team. 

well...I did it with 3 mercs b/c when I left each merc represented each spec (pre-loadouts). but in truth, I'd forgotten how to play sin and mara (and didn't wanna study the pruning changes). jugg is a faceroll I could play just like merc, but I'm forcing myself to play immortal (which is unfamiliar...and when I login I generally bypass cuz I'm lazy).

aight. so self-indulgent story aside, all 3 toons were merc. I took one look at the pruning and said "no way I'm healing." so I have 2 IO and 1 gunnery. Gunnery rolled 75-80 with an 80% winning percentage. I hit 80 the last week of s1, and played in 306 gear (with both RO and Responsive Safeguards - wasn't even aware it was a glitch until I rolled the 3rd merc). even with no gear (but fully aug'd) things weren't bad, but I was just farming frags. I did practically no dmg but I could kite and ppl seeing the 306 often found themself losing b/c I was not an easy kill. when s2 came around, the glitch was reset and my winning percentage dropped from about 65% to 54-ish. and it fluctuates +/- 2 ever since.

the first IO likewise destroyed players 75-80 (again full 306). but both toons were stuck at 80 with crap gear because of (the tech frag and CQ comm block). it was actually CQ comms that were the problem at the time.

now the third toon (2nd IO) had a brutal time of it even leveling. I think I hit 80 somewhere around 55%? and now, he's my highest toon at 63%. the other two are 53-56%.

Gunnery I would expect to be low. I take fewer defensives and it's really hard to do consistent white dmg with all debuffs. but I have no explanation for the huge difference between the IO percentages EXCEPT that the toon with 63% arenas is 50% WZs. and the other toons are 56% and (iirc) 58% in WZs. those WZ stats make me cry b/c I generally ignore wins in WZs b/c it's so random.

TL; DR: 3 mercs. last one got brutalized leveling but is actually the highest win % at 80 by a long shot (~10%). the 10% seems way too high to be random given how close the other two are. but heck if I know why the difference. all three toons have a ton of games. but once I got full gold augs (maybe 3 weeks ago?) I've only played one IO and only queued arenas. and life has been soooo much better. (win % is still mid 50s though).

A year or two ago even the most tryhard regstars wouldn't have had the audacity to suggest allowing 8 man premades in regs.

It honestly seems like bioware is actively trying to to kill pvp.

/2 cents

Edited by nzologic