Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Issue with the Launcher and Intel i7-12700k

digitalfreak

Welp. Looks like I spent months of anticipation of playing this game once again (and even subscribing and getting my brothers/friends to as well) only to find out my new PC won't run it. Great. And from the looks of things literally nothing has been done about it. I have to imagine if this was completely out of the SWTOR teams hands they would have said something instead of this silence we are getting now. I've always been a huge fan of this game (literally the first thing I downloaded after turning on the new computer). This is incredibly disappointing, I can't imagine how much it is for those of you that have been dealing with it for as long as you have. Unbelievable.

Either way this is my last post as I am going to be ending my subscription. Honestly appalling seeing an issue like this go this long without being fixed. I can't imagine how many people they are losing/going to lose over this. It's honestly just embarrassing having stuck up for this game for so long and got so many friends on board today to play.

And to the dev team: never thought I would say this but you lost me as a fan today. Fix this.

Unbelievable.

I am still thinking about that non-calculable SpecsHash parameter. While its true purpose may be known only by devs, I guess that it is used as a machine ID, which tells launcher that the game is running on the same hardware and no need to send one-time password to user's mail for verification.

My question to developers: If this is true, could that buggy code be temporarily switched off? After that, launcher will always think that hardware is new and a new verification code is required. It would be a small nuisance comparing to greater evil as inability to run the game at all. And you will have more time to create the complete solution.

One more suggestion: when the launcher will be fixed, temporarily or completely (as I hope), please release a small separate patch for the launcher only, to avoid full reinstallation, because the regular update is not possible for us. You can publish a link in the news and Twitter. Only the affected people like commenters in this thread will need to download and install it, all others will receive the fixed launcher with regular update.

I am still thinking about that non-calculable SpecsHash parameter. While its true purpose may be known only by devs, I guess that it is used as a machine ID, which tells launcher that the game is running on the same hardware and no need to send one-time password to user's mail for verification.

My question to developers: If this is true, could that buggy code be temporarily switched off? After that, launcher will always think that hardware is new and a new verification code is required. It would be a small nuisance comparing to greater evil as inability to run the game at all. And you will have more time to create the complete solution.

One more suggestion: when the launcher will be fixed, temporarily or completely (as I hope), please release a small separate patch for the launcher only, to avoid full reinstallation, because the regular update is not possible for us. You can publish a link in the news and Twitter. Only the affected people like commenters in this thread will need to download and install it, all others will receive the fixed launcher with regular update.

So, this might even be more simple in that the launcher just does not know what CPU is being used. So the .config just needs an entry. If it is that simple and has taken a month + to solve, I'd be a sad face person. =(

This just hit me today, at some time in the afternoon Pacific Time. Login to the launcher, click play and secondary screen blinks, then nothing. Launcher exits and nothing follows. Very weird. I've been playing fairly frequently over the month and last month too. In fact, launched it fine early in the am Pacific time without a hitch.

My system:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU ASUS_MB_CNL

Processor Intel® Core i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1302, 9/2/2019

SMBIOS Version 3.2

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

BaseBoard Product ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING

BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx

Time Zone Pacific Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080

Added: unsubbed the game. Will check from time to time to see if this gets fixed.

Edited by Razvedchik

Today is the last day of my subscription and I have just canceled the continuation. I am very sad about that. This is my last post here. I did not think that my adventure with the game would end because of the prosaic reason which is the inability to start the launcher on Adler Lake.

Follow-up: I was able to get back into the game. First, I've been playing outside of Steam when the launcher failed yesterday. Today I uninstalled the game, then I installed it back but from Steam this time. Everything worked tho interface setups are all lost and must be re-edited. Maybe my issue is not exactly the same as noted here? My CPU is an i5 intel. Anyway, FYI.

Follow-up: I was able to get back into the game. First, I've been playing outside of Steam when the launcher failed yesterday. Today I uninstalled the game, then I installed it back but from Steam this time. Everything worked tho interface setups are all lost and must be re-edited. Maybe my issue is not exactly the same as noted here? My CPU is an i5 intel. Anyway, FYI.

Grats, but that's not what this thread is about. It's about people using the new Intel 12th generation architecture, and the incompatibility with the game.

I have been getting annoyed with this bug, but only posted on it for the first time yesterday.

I have often checked for a fix, a new client... and there is nothing. I have a RL job and RL responsibilities, yet my boys and I (primarily the 9-year-old and I, the 7-year-old is wanting to play, but is just not there yet. lol) have limited time.

With me getting them every other weekend and on Wednesdays, gaming is often our bonding/'us time'. Just sucks that Bioware has put little emphasis on correcting this issue for so many of us.

I find it odd that the launcher.exe file in the current download is dated 7/31/2017. ...just something that stands out to me. The launcher.exe file on my old computer is dated 3/2/2021. And, as has been noted by others in previous posts, ESO's launcher has no issues with the 12th gen tech....

Anyways... I would just like to see a fix for this.

I am already looking at other games I could try to persuade my 9-year-old to play online. He just really likes SWTOR, as do I...

Edited by jahrl

I was able to run the launcher in a virtual machine (Hyper-V with a system image created by Macrium Reflect), it worked properly (apparently), I logged into my account and started the client. However, the client hangs on the start screen after a few sec. I think it's a problem of VM: the progress wheel in the right corner made some turns before final stop. It may be a DirectX or sound incompatibility: Hyper-V doesn't have virtual sound adapter in my config and video memory is quite small. So, there is a hope that the client can work on normal PC with this CPU. The launcher definitely has to be fixed.

P.S. Eventually I was able to run the client in virtual machine (need to set the Enhanced session mode), but the experience was far below expected: the delays of mouse actions, especially rotating the camera, are unacceptably long, so the character cannot be controlled by mouse in real time. Not a big problem for stationary actions like receiving daily presents or mail, looking at GTN etc., but that's all. Maybe another VM (VirtualBox, VMware...), would be more suitable for actions, but I gave up. Better to wait for normally working launcher.

Edited by Cassianus
Added: client can work in VM

Also posting here to add to the chorus. Tried both the standalone and the steam launcher and both crash.

MSI Pro Z690-A

i7 12700KF

Nvidia RTX 3070

32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3600MHz

SWTOR installed on a 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 M.2

The fact that this thread has been live for a month already and it hasn't been fixed despite more and more people getting the new Intel chips is honestly just embarrassing. I luckily have an older 7th Gen Intel Laptop that I can play the game on but others aren't as lucky as me.

There are indie developers that have fixed issues like this within a week and a AAA developer with one of the richest gaming companies in the world backing them can't fix it in a month.

Get your s*** together, Bioware.

I was able to run the launcher in a virtual machine (Hyper-V with a system image created by Macrium Reflect), it worked properly (apparently), I logged into my account and started the client. However, the client hangs on the start screen after a few sec. I think it's a problem of VM: the progress wheel in the right corner made some turns before final stop. It may be a DirectX or sound incompatibility: Hyper-V doesn't have virtual sound adapter in my config and video memory is quite small. So, there is a hope that the client can work on normal PC with this CPU. The launcher definitely has to be fixed.

P.S. Eventually I was able to run the client in virtual machine (need to set the Enhanced session mode), but the experience was far below expected: the delays of mouse actions, especially rotating the camera, are unacceptably long, so the character cannot be controlled by mouse in real time. Not a big problem for stationary actions like receiving daily presents or mail, looking at GTN etc., but that's all. Maybe another VM (VirtualBox, VMware...), would be more suitable for actions, but I gave up. Better to wait for normally working launcher.

Nobody should have to do any of this. The devs just need to get it patched and done before they lose more subs. You would think that would motivate them to get to it faster.... you would think.....

There are indie developers that have fixed issues like this within a week and a AAA developer with one of the richest gaming companies in the world backing them can't fix it in a month.

Get your s*** together, Bioware.

Difference there is, the indie devs don't have mountains of bureaucracy to deal with. I have worked for companies like this - even a seemingly small task will take months to push through, if ever.

Nobody should have to do any of this. The devs just need to get it patched and done before they lose more subs. You would think that would motivate them to get to it faster.... you would think.....

I just tried it through VMware and no dice. Since VMWare is probably the easiest to set up and that still doesn't work it's completely unreasonable to expect people to do it through Powershell or Hyper-V

Edited by Bulletspongey

Completely agree. But without any hint from devs about ETA of the fix, I tried to test the options which in theory could help, and using VM was nearly the last resort. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite successful, and I explained it here to warn people who might try to do the same, that they shouldn't waste their time and efforts.

Silence of developers is very disappointing, and only the New Year holidays may excuse them somehow...

Completely agree. But without any hint from devs about ETA of the fix, I tried to test the options which in theory could help, and using VM was nearly the last resort. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite successful, and I explained it here to warn people who might try to do the same, that they shouldn't waste their time and efforts.

Silence of developers is very disappointing, and only the New Year holidays may excuse them somehow...

It doesn't excuse them as the issue was reported in November.

I now have the same problem with my new system.

i7 12700K

MSI Board Z690 Tomahawk DDR4

Corsair DDR4 3600 Mhz 32 GB

RTX 3080 Ti

Since the thread is now over 2 1/2 months old, there will probably be nothing more.

It's always bad for a PC game vendor to ignore the largest processor manufacturer.

It's bad for business.

I now have the same problem with my new system.

i7 12700K

MSI Board Z690 Tomahawk DDR4

Corsair DDR4 3600 Mhz 32 GB

RTX 3080 Ti

Since the thread is now over 2 1/2 months old, there will probably be nothing more.

It's always bad for a PC game vendor to ignore the largest processor manufacturer.

It's bad for business.

Alder Lake hasn't even been out for two months, and this thread is even newer. No need to exaggerate. Still, it's been long enough.

On a different but similar note, does anyone here remember the game outage that occurred shortly after the game launched, the one when the servers were brought offline for a whole day and the company issued a prorated refund because nobody could play? Whatever happened to that developer and/or customer service team?!

Hi guys, i got the same Problem with my new I7-12700KF.

Called the german support, but he didnt know how to help.

I sent an Mail to support@swtor.com, maybe they can help :mad:

Do you guys know anything new?

Really sad that i cant play :/

I have been down this road. It doesn't help. They just hit you with the standard 'we are looking into it'.

I talked to customer service. The rep said the same thing... "We are looking into it."

Then I asked to be reimbursed for downtime. He said he was crediting my account.

A couple hours later, I get an email from him stating that he was unable to credit my account.

...so I cancelled the subscription.

Best of luck with this, everyone.

I begin to think that discovering the exact origin of this bug and patching it may be not as easy as we hope. The problem is, the significant part of the launcher code has been developed by another company, Solid State Networks (you may notice the BioWare logo on the bottom). They develop the game updating platform and related network infrastructure; the users authentication is among the options they offer. If so, origin of Alder Lake incompatibility may be somewhere in their code. Looking at SSN website, you may notice that the last news and blog updates were in January 2021, nothing new after. It looks like they may be either in lethargy now or at least most of personnel do their work remotely. Which means the long interaction time. So, uncertain answer of BW support may be predictable.

I would hope that I am wrong in this conclusion and BW devs still can fix this bug on their own.

Edited by Cassianus

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.