Galactic Season does not spark joy

eabevella

I'm not a big fan of GS. I basically did enough stuff to get the Fleet Apartment. Now that I have that, I will skip any PvP or GSF tasks.

I basically just do some of the GS stuff - kill stuff, do heroics, etc - for something to do while waiting for GF to pop.

I would have to agree with those who want real content, instead of GS. I'm hoping that something good will happen for the 10th anniversary, or I'm going to run out of things to keep me here.

I have 3 tokens having jumped through the hoops. How did you get to 8 already without paying out coins?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3 tokens having jumped through the hoops. How did you get to 8 already without paying out coins?

You can't. It's impossible to have eight tokens without having spent CC on GS. I skipped two daily objectives (because insectoids on Voss) and one weekly ever since the system went live, and I am currently sitting at around 25ish. You'd have to hit around 60ish for eight tokens as a subscriber, so its impossible that he got them by just playing. He must have bought levels with CC.

You can't. It's impossible to have eight tokens without having spent CC on GS. I skipped two daily objectives (because insectoids on Voss) and one weekly ever since the system went live, and I am currently sitting at around 25ish. You'd have to hit around 60ish for eight tokens as a subscriber, so its impossible that he got them by just playing. He must have bought levels with CC.

Yes, I broke down and bought CC ($20), plus my monthly grant, etc. And, of course, I've done most of the POs so far, except the GSF weekly and the OP one that required EV, etc.

The insectoids on Voss one was interesting. The 'insectoids' are not called insectoids, but I don't recall their name (Shaclaw?). They look like greenish crab thingies, and are only found in a few small areas of the Nightmare Lands. I only found them by following a player who looked like they knew where they were going. 😇

Edited by JediQuaker

Yes, I broke down and bought CC ($20), plus my monthly grant, etc. And, of course, I've done most of the POs so far, except the GSF weekly and the OP one that required EV, etc.

The insectoids on Voss one was interesting. The 'insectoids' are not called insectoids, but I don't recall their name (Shaclaw?). They look like greenish crab thingies, and are only found in a few small areas of the Nightmare Lands. I only found them by following a player who looked like they knew where they were going. 😇

You gave in! *point finger* (joking)

The Voss insectoids mission is terrible.

They only appear on a mall patch of land with number too small for the amount of ppl farming for them.

Basically if you don't have an imp side character to run the heroic, it's a pain to farm 75 of the crab-bug.

The Tattoine one at least has more than one spot with enough bugs for all of us to kill.

You gave in! *point finger* (joking)

The Voss insectoids mission is terrible.

They only appear on a mall patch of land with number too small for the amount of ppl farming for them.

Basically if you don't have an imp side character to run the heroic, it's a pain to farm 75 of the crab-bug.

The Tattoine one at least has more than one spot with enough bugs for all of us to kill.

I have done the same thing (except not that many coins) mainly because there is not much on the cartel shop I like anyways, other than the decorations. I will skip pvp and GSF (since it is still pvp) no matter what some say. I hate it and nothing will get me to do it. I did it once on one character for the companion with my boyfriend and that was the end of it, never again. It is funny my boyfriend knows I hate it and accepts it but bw can't seem to understand that point as they keep pushing those things people hate for them to try. They can't seem to understand that people dislike/hate certain activities for a reason.

Yea...no more Ossus type content please. This ridiculous grind was over the top. The daily area was lackluster, world boss - just lol. How many players are playing the new Dxun Ops again? Almost noone, so not need to waste resources for content, played by the absolute minority in the game (as the devs have been doing for the past 3 years).

Aside from that GS is not worthwhile for me. I am not exactly thrilled to do things i have done for the past 7-8 years. No thanks, there is no reward that would make me do it. Certainly not some space barbie stuff like new stronghold, some weird companion without any lines, any quests, any dialogue, or trinkets and CC. Just no.

We each have our own opinion, of course -- and I doubt I'm going to change yours, but you're crazy! Ossus had everything: a currency grind, 2 world bosses, a solo ops boss, story, dailies, weeklies, and OWpvp. I disliked a few things about it, such as: new gear for no reason, slot locked mods. (I would rather the new gear have been different stat distributions for min/maxing rather than completely new tiers of gear.)

As for Dxun, there are plenty of people that do and have done that operation. But it's gotten kind of old now, in addition to being buggy and wonky.

This is what I don’t understand about Bioware. Ossus felt like the game was heading in the right direction again. The open world missions, dailies, the heroics, world bosses and and even the raids felt like the swtor we all loved before kotet/Kotfe era of locked solo content and instances.

Then we got the latest expansion with Onderon/Mek Sha worlds and semi instances again. It felt like a backwards step yet again. Like Bioware don’t know if they want their game to be an MMO or a solo RPG. They go back and forth between the two and it’s no wonder players lose enthusiasm.

Then spending all this time and resources on galactic seasons for OLD CONTENT, instead of actual new playable content and it feels like they’ve given up or more likely EA have finally pulled the plug for most of the development funding that doesn’t include cash shop mechanics (it’s what makes the most sense, EA restricting funds that aren’t cash shop related).

Yep. We're on the same page here. I like Onderon and Mek Sha, but not nearly as much as I liked Ossus. Though I have had a lot of fun on Mek-Sha. I remember discovering the world boss Dread Pirate Korvoy on launch day. I told all my guildies and we put together a 24 man raid to take him down. He didn't drop any loot, or give a cheevo. Not sure if they ever fixed that.

Eh, I'm much more interested of an overarching reward system that tries actually to do things than I'd be about just another daily zone like Ossus. GS shakes people up, encourages them to go bit beyond their routines and comfort zones. It makes (some ) people discover brand new previously untouched venues of the game. That's an extremely good way to spend devving hours.

New daily area like Ossus wouldn't register as something different from..well, Ossus, or Y4, or Rishi, Or Oricon for me personally. Not in terms of gameplay.

...Not to put Ossus down too much, its one of the best daily zones in game.

I don't know -- I just don't see the point in rewarding players for doing something they were already doing in the first place. May as well make the game drop better rewards from the actual act.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

I think the hate comes from the fact that this is packaged as "what you are meant to do" in the game or certainly as "hey look, new content for our 10th year anniversary" (which of course its not)

The problem for me is that the game is getting swamped in non-content - achievements, conquests, galactic seasons etc. and real content is getting forgotten about.

Also, I'd say that while achievements are sufficently in the background that you can ignore them if you wish and may just happen to trip over one as you go about your business and now conquests also, you also hit your 50k target in much the same way...almost by accident as there are so many of them, however galactic seasons you have to do "homework", its like a job to do.

Starting out

I used to log into my favoured toon and run their story and then start another.

In later years

I used to do a flashpoint

maybe a warzone

sell a few bits on the gtn

....now and them maybe even set a night aside for a story mode op.

NOW

I log in

claim daily rewards

find somewhere to put them

check that my tech fragments aren't ovverflowing

look for a missing armor set that I can't fit in my legacy bank

check my gtn listings and refresh them if undercut

crunch clutter into tech fragments

check my galactic seasons objectives and see which toon I should do them on to get them done fastest and decide whether to get them out of the way first or what time I'll need to do them at so that there are sufficient like minded players around to complete them with

check to see if I have enough time to "Play the game"

relist my gtn stuff again

... and log out!!

.....is this what they want me to do with my time?!!

Ummm...

Don't look now ... but my "daily schedule" for SWTOR is about the same thing... with only one proviso:

** I don't do their weekly stuff since none of it is anything I care for (never have ... never will ).

All of this is about choices. I don't HAVE to do the GS thing. OK ... I get that !!

Sooo what am I paying my sub for ?

I guess we'll see what happens on the 10th anniversary. That might change !!

;)

Edited by OlBuzzard

I don't know -- I just don't see the point in rewarding players for doing something they were already doing in the first place. May as well make the game drop better rewards from the actual act.

That's just it - these forums alone have plenty of strories like "I haven't actually tried pvp/gsf in ages, and felt drawn to it cause of GS, and actually had fun" Very point is to encourage people to go off road, instead of sticking on their usual path.

That's just it - these forums alone have plenty of strories like "I haven't actually tried pvp/gsf in ages, and felt drawn to it cause of GS, and actually had fun" Very point is to encourage people to go off road, instead of sticking on their usual path.

Except GS is targeting the wrong players. It's pushing players to play content they don't want to, or play even more of the same stuff over and over.

Instead they should be improving things and adding new systems/classes/stories etc to attract new players or players that have left.

Except GS is targeting the wrong players. It's pushing players to play content they don't want to, or play even more of the same stuff over and over.

Instead they should be improving things and adding new systems/classes/stories etc to attract new players or players that have left.

Do you seriously, realistically think that is ever going to happen? Given what happened with Anthem? EA calls shots, and EA considers SWTOR to be cash cow in semi-maintenance mode. EA will put resources into new games, because new is sexy and cool, in thinking of corp-rat suits.

I agree that Galactic Season is bad and adds nothing to my enjoyment of the game.

Having skimmed through, its also clear that we will never all agree on what we do like. If I want to do open world boss fights I check out ESO and enjoy how easy it can be done when you don't lock credit behind being in a group. I liked Ossus but I don't miss the WB+ in group chat and hoping people knew how to deal with the adds and that annoying bug where you didn't get credit.

What I am less clear on is what the appeal of spending the best part of 20 weeks grinding content you don't like is. I can't see anything on the list of rewards that I'm like I must have that! That will make my life complete! The new companion is like the last 10 companions, doesn't speak common, has a very basic alert alert and that is it. Will he be more interesting than that Pirate, the blue jedi, the red sith, the pig creature mechanic, the bigger pig bouncer. At least some of those spoke common and yes I'm sure I am forgetting some but none reappear, none make me drop my characters romance option to run round with. Does the new apartment have some amazing option that will change my experience? Some hot tub that me and my romantic option can relax in? I suspect not.

I just can't see anything on that list that makes going through PvP, GSF, an Operation etc week after week after week to own it. No more than the season scoreboard in Fallout 76 makes me find mindless grinding there fun. A semi new approach to put an old content grind into the game and I feel for the people playing content they don't like I must be missing which of the rewards it is that makes it worth doing or if it is good value at 10,000 cartel coins for the completion. (I know you would get a number back from the 200 CC rewards).

Where? Who? Most the threads seem to be its bad and I hate PvP/GSF and I was forced to do it?

Maybe people are having different experiences, but when you force people to do something they don't like it seems they just want to get the completion done as quick as possible. They throw matches stand around waiting to lose or in dominion matches suicide to get it over quicker. Maybe if you are being carried by your team and the other team are standing round having a smoke break letting you win you come out on a high think I'm really good at PvP, I thought it would be tough but they just stood their and I cut through them! Don't worry though next match it might be your side that stands around and the other pre-made that cuts through you as you try your best and get ganked.

Even the group PvE elements are not a good introduction. People just want to speed run through, having joined some speed runners I can't imagine if that was your first experience of Vet mode flashpoints or god forbid an Operation you would come away feeling great. I can only imagine if you didn't know how to sneak passed a group of mobs you would be left for dead and possible kicked. If I wanted to introduce someone to group content, I'd want to take it slow with them, let them see the story, rest up after a fight, explain the mechanics (even if we were going to OP through them).

I just don't see Galactic Season being how I would encourage people to try content they haven't tried before.

OR.....

Add newer content (as you have suggested ) ... (without bugs) AND charge for it !!

:eek::eek::eek:

Heck I'd gladly fork over the average price of a new 7' bass rod (*** ) right now AND AGAIN on the 10th anniversary if they would add new systems/classes/stories etc

( OH ... also add revitalized companions to the list) ! ;)

Why not ?? They are willing to charge almost that much (or more) to milk players for $$$ for rehashed stuff that's been around for a LONG time (and some of it filled with bugs).

IMO this is not now ... nor has ever been a matter of ability. The team is good at what they do WHEN they set their mind to it !!

There is something else driving their decisions right now !!

(***) NOTE:

* Lower end bass rod: $90 or less

* Average priced bas rod $100 - $150

* High end bass rod $250 and up !

Edited by OlBuzzard

IMO this is not now ... nor has ever been a matter of ability. The team is good at what they do WHEN they set their mind to it !!

When I said what follows, I was feeling a little grumpy, but I think it ties in with what you say there.

I'll stick with it for now, because I *do* want to see the rest of the stories, and because I'm convinced there's still a good game in there, crying in a corner because the people who made it don't seem to love it any more.

It is what it is. We speak of a 10 year old game that was greatly hurt by Anthem. We'll be seeing plenty of content still, but I'm guessing we'll never see some gigantic kotfe-sized expansion, to speak nothing of class stories. Every single new line of dialogue that involves PlayerChar actually saying something takes hiring 16 x PC voice actors. Making this stuff is super expensive.

Making overarching reward systems is cheap. It introduces some people to content they've never experienced, which basically amounts to a huge, personal expansion to person who got seduced by PvP, GSF etc. That's a great thing from pov of player and devs both.

When I said what follows, I was feeling a little grumpy, but I think it ties in with what you say there.

I must confess I feel a bit grumpy right now as well. That disturbance is unquestionably coming from knowing the abilities of those who are doing the work and what they are fully capable of seen in the light of the yet untapped potential of this game !!

WOW !!! Oh the possibilities !! MAN !! What can STILL be (and should) ... that just blows me away !

Then I see the reality of where we are at !!

(Ol Buzzards tail feathers just drops with sadness)

:(:(:(

the Galactic season has some good things i like that there found a way to bring old sub rewards back in the game for the people that have miss it back then.

or have come back for the first time in years now.

thats something i like about it in a good way.

there are also a lot off things there can do better like remove the limit off 2 daily mission you get and add the season points also on the conquest daily missions and not give there own missions.

and it has give for a lot off people also problems with it and then i talk about the lagg and delay's there are now much more then before since we all need to go to the same place to compleet the 2 daily missions and that means also lot off lagg and delay's.

Do you seriously, realistically think that is ever going to happen? Given what happened with Anthem? EA calls shots, and EA considers SWTOR to be cash cow in semi-maintenance mode. EA will put resources into new games, because new is sexy and cool, in thinking of corp-rat suits.

Not remotely.

OR.....

Add newer content (as you have suggested ) ... (without bugs) AND charge for it !!

:eek::eek::eek:

Heck I'd gladly fork over the average price of a new 7' bass rod (*** ) right now AND AGAIN on the 10th anniversary if they would add new systems/classes/stories etc

( OH ... also add revitalized companions to the list) ! ;)

Why not ?? They are willing to charge almost that much (or more) to milk players for $$$ for rehashed stuff that's been around for a LONG time (and some of it filled with bugs).

(***) NOTE:

* Lower end bass rod: $90 or less

* Average priced bas rod $100 - $150

* High end bass rod $250 and up !

This. We've seen players on this forum asking for new contents, revisit of old companions, debugs, but all we got is this GS "system" that claims to be a great addition to the game but in fact punishes players who don't want or not able to do some contents.

if you don't like it.. don't do it... it does not give one any unfair advantage over those who don't do it...

others do like it.. so it would be wrong to remove it from the game just becuase others don't...

Edited by Negapao

So far, I haven't bothered with GS at all. It's not really interesting and I don't care for the rewards (there is enough stuff thrown your way already anyway).

I miss the days when all we had to be was a subscriber to receive rewards in the mail.

Now we gotta grind everyday for a new companion, 5 months at a time.

Yeah, I've scanned both vendors and found the first vendor just sells stuff that I already have acquired over the last 9+ years of playing. So nothing to buy from him.

As for the second vendor, aside from the 2 Fleet strongholds, it also looks like there is nothing to buy except the mounts, which I think, not %100 sure, you get for free over the 5 months of season 1 of GS. And to be honest, their not the coolest mounts in the game.

I see you can buy more companion gifts for the new companion, but since I've been saving up the free gifts, I may not need them to get him to level 50. And more than likely, I'm only gonna use him on maybe one of my 20 alts. So, nothing to purchase other than the strongholds.

They really need to put stuff in there that are completely new, unique, not from the past nor something they are giving you already by doing the weekly/daily GS stuff. Stuff like deco's that have never existed in the game, gear, weapons, stronghold titles, whatever, new stuff.

GS is simply yet another way to repackage old content so BW is not on the hook for new content. That is why they did level-sync. That is why they did Conquest. Why anybody is surprised they recycle the old stuff in a new bow and reward you with mostly worthless stuff is beyond me.

Yeah, I've scanned both vendors and found the first vendor just sells stuff that I already have acquired over the last 9+ years of playing. So nothing to buy from him.

As for the second vendor, aside from the 2 Fleet strongholds, it also looks like there is nothing to buy except the mounts, which I think, not %100 sure, you get for free over the 5 months of season 1 of GS. And to be honest, their not the coolest mounts in the game.

I see you can buy more companion gifts for the new companion, but since I've been saving up the free gifts, I may not need them to get him to level 50. And more than likely, I'm only gonna use him on maybe one of my 20 alts. So, nothing to purchase other than the strongholds.

They really need to put stuff in there that are completely new, unique, not from the past nor something they are giving you already by doing the weekly/daily GS stuff. Stuff like deco's that have never existed in the game, gear, weapons, stronghold titles, whatever, new stuff.

I would pay real money if BW make the GS rewards "unlock a special romance scene with your LI".

One unlock for every 5 levels would make me stop complaining and do whatever BW wants me to do lol

I want contents related to my toons.

The only thing about GS that is annoying me is the starfighter and forced pvp stuff. I don't pvp. I really don't know how to pvp (if I'm being honest there) and I don't think it's fair to those who enjoy it to deal with me joining in to fulfill a seasons objective. Galactic Starfighter would be interesting if it didn't make me seasick when I try it!

What I would like to see is some additional solo choices added to the list. Or the ability to choose between "solo" vs "pvp" and then get a list of options. I also don't do operations. First, I don't have a lot of time to do them and we're a really small guild of friends so not enough people to do them. Having been playing this game since 2011, I know that there are more weekly options out there than pvp, operations, or hard mode flashpoints. What about adding "complete the weekly for such and such planet"... those take forever to do sometimes depending on how much time you have... I'm getting in some of what I can but really, the system is starting to become boring with the same objectives popping up daily.