Why are people missing the big points on slicing?

Jonnio

There seems to be a lack of ability for the majority of people to see that netting a profit in credits on lockbox missions is the same as netting two blue bars of a metal doing UWT. One person gets a cash, the other gets a liquid asset that can either be used by the mission runner, or sold at a profit to other crew skillers (namely slicers!). Maybe people just can't accept it.

The difference is that in one case the credits on lockbox missions are fabricated when you open the lockbox. In the other case, the credits are coming from another player. To the person running the missions, credits are credits, but to the economy as a whole they are different things. I don't pretend to be wise enough to predict the consequences of the difference, but I can see that it is there. As an anaolgy, running slicing missions for a constant profit is akin to sending workers out to print money, while gathering is akin to owning a lumberyard, sending your workers to go chop wood, and then later selling the wood to other people. Probably a terrible analogy but it's just the gist of how I think about it.

Are people taking issue with the slicing mission nerf running a craft skill? If so, why take slicing when clearly craft skills require two gather/mission skills to make good stuff. You can also level your craft skill without making blues or purples with just a gathering skill, and take slicing for the nodes and extra money early. I do this, and don't have to bother with crafting much while I'm doing story and leveling/exploring the world right now.

I guess I'm just curious what category of players wanted to send all of their companions out on slicing constantly, that just inherently seems silly. If I'm trying to craft good stuff, I send my people out on mission skills, or crafting if I have some good mats. If I'm trying to level crafting, I make sure to gather nodes while I'm out and craft stuff. If I'm trying to level my gathering skill, I send my people on gathering missions for what I assume (possibly incorrectly) should be a net loss on materials I can find myself.

I suppose if I just wanted tons of money for no apparent goal I would run slicing, a gathering profession, and a mission profession. Use the slicing nodes to fund the missions for rare stuff to sell, and use my secondary gathering profession nodes to sell mats for profits. This actually sounds like a good way to gather all the mats for a crafting skill and then swap slicing for the craft later.

I'm still pretty low level and I'm trying to wrap my head around the crew skills world, but all of my potential goals seem inherently achievable with the system, what specific issue do people have with slicing as is? If it's not good enough, don't take it and make money some other way. I find it useful for my play style.

There has to be other people who are finding slicing convenient and useful like me who aren't posting because they don't care and things are working out great.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre-nerf:

-Slicing at low levels was broken

-Slicing at high levels was not broken

Post-nerf:

-Slicing at low levels is now broken

-Slicing at high levels is no broken

I have a level 47 Sith warrior with maxed out slicing. Post nerf I was able to buy my crafting materials, make ridiculous repairs, and was able to afford fairly good gear for my main companion and myself, but I never saw over 300K. At higher levels, 400 slicing was NEVER broken due to the expensiveness of just repairing and keeping your gear up to date. At lower levels, though, I was paying for myself and two other friends for all their training and such because I had so much cash. I admit, 300 slicing at level 20 was broken. 400 slicing at level 47 was not. Now, I can't really do anything, slicing is just a useless money sink, not even worth the schematics or missions. Dropped it last night because it was going to end up costing me to much.

What's the solution?

Don't nerf slicing as a whole, that's stupid. level limit it. Make sure 400 slicing can't be used by level 20s. They can only send out on like...class 3 missions.

Slicing has absolutly no use now. People rarely use augments, making them useless. The rare schematic s and missions are useful, but if you have slicing you tend to need to buy crafting materials to replace the gathering skill(s) you didn't take to get slicing and spend money on useless mission in hopes you'll crit and get a purple mission? With 350K credits in training at level 50, I don't think so.

Also, it's a new MMO. Economy is always broken in new MMOs. The worst thing you could do is knee jerk it, and now I have a feeling the economy will be screwed even more.

Pre-nerf:

Don't nerf slicing as a whole, that's stupid. level limit it. Make sure 400 slicing can't be used by level 20s. They can only send out on like...class 3 missions.

This would be PERFECT! Slicing as well as Mission skills should DEFINITELY be capped by level, and some would say crafting should too, but that's another topic. Someone who is able to send their companions off at lvl 10 to get Grade 4 or 5 Underworld Metals is broken as well, but not as much.

Make slicing work for higher levels!

This is basically an out and out lie or just plain ignorant.

If the current money grubbers drop slicing because they can't manufacture credits at will anymore, players like me will roll slicers and fill the void.

You aren't going to lean on a 'there will be a vacuum if we all leave' -crutch to try to get your printing press back.

It's actually neither, it's common sense, but thanks for calling me a liar or a moron.

If slicing is a net loss in credits then people will drop it. In order for it not to be a net loss then the price of the missions/schematics will have to go up. Pre-nerf if a slicer crits they got a nice lockbox and maybe a mission. The lockbox is the reward for the run and the mission is a bonus, and on most servers they are priced as such (slicers in my guild were just giving them to guildies because they sold for minimal amounts in the grand scheme of things).

Unfortunately there is a max that those missions are worth, based on their return in materials. Much like I am not going to send out 50 slicing missions to sell a reward for 500 credits, an intelligent player won't be paying 25k for a mission that will net them 10k in materials.

At the point in time where it costs more to get the rewards then the market will tolerate, people will drop. If folks like you want to "fill a void" by losing credits for no return then feel free, but most intelligent people will not. If the void being filled is the profitability of selling missions/schematics at extremely high prices, then you have proven my point.

4) If a lot of people drop slicing or stop running missions that is bad for everyone - the market on the rare missions will dry up and the lvl 50 augments will be unavailable. Why are the crafters rejoicing at the loss of an inexpensive stream of blue/purple missions?
That's not how markets work. Supply and demand means we will always trend towards an equilibrium.

If 90% of all Slicers drop Slicing because they can't sell their crap to make enough money, the price of missions, rare schematics, and augments will skyrocket. The people who want those items (the demand) will be fighting over the small amount of them (the supply) and the persons willing to fork out the most cash for them will win.

As the demanders pay higher and higher prices for the slim supply, other people will see the incredible prices that Slicing items are fetching on the market and go into production themselves. The supply of these Slicing items increases, Slicers undercut each other to actually make sales, and the prices come down in general because demand is more easily met.

If you are a Slicer right now and you anticipate everyone to be quitting your profession, hold on to your butt and stay where you are, because you'll be the only cowboy in town producing the goods that other people want to buy.

I would like nothing more than to be the only person on my server with Biochem, because I could charge whatever the hell I want for my goods and people would buy them because I'm the only show in town. Boom.

Edited by Gorgewall

That's not how markets work. Supply and demand means we will always trend towards an equilibrium.

If 90% of all Slicers drop Slicing because they can't sell their crap to make enough money, the price of missions, rare schematics, and augments will skyrocket. The people who want those items (the demand) will be fighting over the small amount of them (the supply) and the persons willing to fork out the most cash for them will win.

As the demanders pay higher and higher prices for the slim supply, other people will see the incredible prices that Slicing items are fetching on the market and go into production themselves. The supply of these Slicing items increases, Slicers undercut each other to actually make sales, and the prices come down in general because demand is more easily met.

If you are a Slicer right now and you anticipate everyone to be quitting your profession, hold on to your butt and stay where you are, because you'll be the only cowboy in town producing the goods that other people want to buy.

I would like nothing more than to be the only person on my server with Biochem, because I could charge whatever the hell I want for my goods and people would buy them because I'm the only show in town. Boom.

I am sitting on slicing to see how it goes -- However, you are saying that you agree with me...Slicing will see exodus to the point that the supply goes down in order to regulate the prices, that's exactly my point. I don't think that everyone will drop, but enough will that the currently reasonable prices on slicing items will diminish...

However, see my post above and you will see that since this isn't simply supply/demand economics there is more involved. The items in question have a finite value in terms of their resultant reward. Slicers are not creating best in slot gear that has no ceiling on price and is strictly regulated by supply and demand. The missions that we find have a measurable value in terms of how many normal missions would have to be run for the same results, so we have an absolute ceiling set by Bioware.

What's the solution?

Please no. Level capping any crafting skill is not only annoying, it's frustrating. If I'm capable of getting mats to craft an item higher than my level...so be it. It's my time and money that went into being able to do so...whether the item is for a friend or to market. Linking adventuring to crafting levels just tends to be a frustration. And a level limit more than likely won't be tied to just slicing...it'll be tried to crafting across the board...everyone loses.

Edited by Kaliv

i dont understand all the qq on the nerf and slicing being so bad... im now lvl 20 with a 200 skill in slicing and every box has netted at least 10% more than i spent on the mission. With maybe 1/10 being a LITTLE bit of a loss at lower levels.

its definitely not costing money and i have 90k credits whereas id normally have around 20k at this lvl,or are people just crying they cant make a billion credits by lvl 15?

... but crafting DOES NOT make you rich at the onset ...

This is something I don't understand...probably because one would have to answer what the purpose of crafting is. To which we'll probably get a variety of answers. Some may say to gear your toon. Others may say to play the economy and get rich. Still others...perhaps enjoyment of a second view of the game.

For all MMOs though, the problem in balancing adventure loot with crafted items. From the short time that SWTOR has been out...it seems that adventuring seems to outfit your toon fine at the pace that you gain levels...making crafting kind of moot. So it's at the end game that crafting will probably shine, as it does in a variety of other MMOs. Which I'm assuming is where rich after the onset comes in play.

But back to slicing...because I'm still confused. To put things back into perspective...what does slicing benefit at the end game to make me rich. Obvisouly...other crafting skills *should*...so to be balanced...slicing *should* provide some benefit.

If it's in the random augment...what about half of the other missions I have for the skill? All the other gathering skills bring back useful mats for every mission...does slicing only allow for half the missions to be beneficial in the end game where I'm supposedly to make my money?

i dont understand all the qq on the nerf and slicing being so bad... im now lvl 20 with a 200 skill in slicing and every box has netted at least 10% more than i spent on the mission. With maybe 1/10 being a LITTLE bit of a loss at lower levels.

its definitely not costing money and i have 90k credits whereas id normally have around 20k at this lvl,or are people just crying they cant make a billion credits by lvl 15?

Your comparison of 90K to 20K credits has no bearing. Since the nerf, I'm been trying to do some research and have been logging all my missions. The skinny of it is that I'm getting a sample size of 30 (which should provide significance) of each level and diversing it between moderate to rich...trying to see if there are any trends. I've completed my runs on class 1 through class 3...and have seen positive results. Although not all the analysis is completed...I'm sure you want to see some results (dispite my wanting to wait until I've completed all the analysis I wanted to do). But below are some average numbers, without perspective.

Class 1: +3.00 credits per mission minute

Class 2: +12.58 credits per mission minute

Class 3: +10.10 credits per mission minute

After 37 hours of missions, I've netted a total of 210 credits (roughly 17.84 credits per mission minute) from slicing since the nerf. So when I say your comparison of 90K to 20K credits has no bearing...the difference over 12 hours of gameplay (3 crew members) is only an added 210 credits, not 70K...and that's with a skill level of 400 in slicing.

I don't foresee any economic crisis in SWTOR from my slicing, aka printing money. And I have no mats from slicing to craft further goods either for sale or personal use. I'd say most of my money is coming from adventuring, and selling my loot...at which my main character is sitting on about 120K credits (post-nerf). Note, that when the patch hit...all the money I gained from pre-nerf was spent on mounts...or giving it to others to help when buy thier license (Bioware's method of taking money out of the economy).

This need to be quoted repeatedly over and over and over again, on every slicing thread where they talk about other gathing skill missions returning lower credit mats, at least you get mats, and aren't gambling hoping that you get a mission, schematic to make the venture useful.

For heaven's sake.. *censored*

They are all gathering skills and slicing isn't some special snowflake that should be the only gathering skill to net profit on missions.

You do not get *nothing* from slicing missions, you get a resource, a chance on extra loot and a skillup. Same goes for other gathering skills.

The only thing you need to remember is that money or materials are both resources. The money you gain from slicing can be used to buy materials. So why should you get more gain from your missions than other gatherers?

You spend 800 credits on a slicing mission and receive 600 credits = you spend 800 credist on a scavenging mission and receive 600 credits worth of materials. Or do you want more salary from your boss too, cos you only got money for your work? Seriously.. how can you not see that money and goods can be compared by looking at their monetary value.

This would be PERFECT! Slicing as well as Mission skills should DEFINITELY be capped by level, and some would say crafting should too, but that's another topic. Someone who is able to send their companions off at lvl 10 to get Grade 4 or 5 Underworld Metals is broken as well, but not as much.

Make slicing work for higher levels!

I would love my alt being able to make lvl50 gear so I can gear up my main. I don't see the problem with the current system. Higher level missions cost too much for low level characters anyway, doesn't it?

I hope Hushia's boss realizes that at the end of the day, her boss can say "Before I pay you a hundred bucks, I need you to pay me 120 for the privilege of learning new skills and gaining experience that will be useful for more money in the future".

If I do a mission and get 4 items that "you" say are worth 600 credits, I might actually get 80 credits from a vendor or 1000 credits from someone desperate to get a lot of items to craft.

If I do a mission and lose 200 credits, I've lost 200 credits. I didn't even get a skill point (since I'm maxed on my gathering skill), I've just lost. Losing is losing.

I really hope the lockboxes are going away soon, give us something that has the "chance", based on player sentiment, of being worth more.

I hope Hushia's boss realizes that at the end of the day, her boss can say "Before I pay you a hundred bucks, I need you to pay me 120 for the privilege of learning new skills and gaining experience that will be useful for more money in the future".

If I do a mission and get 4 items that "you" say are worth 600 credits, I might actually get 80 credits from a vendor or 1000 credits from someone desperate to get a lot of items to craft.

If I do a mission and lose 200 credits, I've lost 200 credits. I didn't even get a skill point (since I'm maxed on my gathering skill), I've just lost. Losing is losing.

I really hope the lockboxes are going away soon, give us something that has the "chance", based on player sentiment, of being worth more.

You have totally missed my point. I'm saying that items are worth money. And because of that, you can compare the net revenue of the different gathering professions to see if they are in balance. The numbers were just there as an example.

Your example might just as well net you with four items no one wants to buy while with slicing you have a garantueed 600 credits in your pocket.

But anyway, the reason for the nerf is to bring the gathering professions in balance, so people can pick the ones they like, not the mandatory ones.

After reading a few threads about Slicing I honestly think it may be the most nonsensical crew skill in SWTOR. I think the devs should just move the augments or schematics to another crew skill and just get rid of slicing altogether. I have never played another MMO RPG that had a crafting/gathering skill that straight-up yielded currency.

It's poorly thought out IMHO.

Edited by MorgonKara

But its not in balance, which is why no skill should ever have been created to return raw credits.

There is value and there is potential value. Credits have value, they don't have potential value. Items have potential value, no one can force you to sell the items for less than what you want. Also, if you take an item and craft it into an item that you use, you've removed all references to value, other than what you assign to it.

If you offered me 4 items worth 600 credits for 1000 credits, or 600 credits for 1000 credits, I would take the 4 items every single time I was willing to invest 1000 credits.

I would "never" choose the 600 credits for 1000 credits.

I've gone on the GTN and bought a blue material for double what I thought it was worth, just to craft an item I wanted "right now". That person, whoever they were, didn't rip me off, they offered me a convenience I was willing to pay.

You can't sell 600 credits on the GTN, other than I could buy materials and put those up for sell on the GTN. You know what buys more materials than 600 credits? 1000 credits.

My hope, buy posting here and there, is that it keeps the issue going indefinitely, until the devs put in a different system. Bioware can do better than a mission that costs you credits to make potentially less credits, give us something different that we can "potentially" sell for more, rather than know is the same or less.

You should really stick with slicing if you think 200 credits are a loss. The only way to make money with our gathering skills is to get the mats necessary for items. Only we need tens of thousands of them to refine our products to the level where they can compete with a few hours of PvP and a lucky bag drop. A scavenger/Armormech has no "winning" mission. My loss on a green or even con mission for metals or compounds is optimistically 1,800-2k credits. 2.ishk mission for 4-6 mats (valued at 60 credits each). There is no money in scavenging without investing time and travel for nodes on the world map. Take a looksie at Underworld Trading. Average investment = 2.1k. Average return = 2 mats valued at 185 credits. These are necessary. You need a fair amount of them (~70-250 missions per chance at the stat on the armor you want refined to purple). Then you need the rare drops of those missions to keep on going until you crit for the augment slot. The only possibility of recouping the loss is to sell the items. Vendoring preserves the loss. Selling to players requires a market for the item and luck. Either way, you can't improve your schematics if you don't want to take a substantial hit.

You have been barely adjusted to everyone else's level. Welcome to what everyone else deals with. Now you actually have to look at what you signed up to harvest and find a way to make money off those. If you want to make money. Go kill mobs, do quests, and sell mats to crafters. If you want to lose money: Craft and run missions.

Edited by SheepishOne

But its not in balance, which is why no skill should ever have been created to return raw credits.

There is value and there is potential value. Credits have value, they don't have potential value. Items have potential value, no one can force you to sell the items for less than what you want. Also, if you take an item and craft it into an item that you use, you've removed all references to value, other than what you assign to it.

If you offered me 4 items worth 600 credits for 1000 credits, or 600 credits for 1000 credits, I would take the 4 items every single time I was willing to invest 1000 credits.

I've gone on the GTN and bought a blue material for double what I thought it was worth, just to craft an item I wanted "right now". That person, whoever they were, didn't rip me off, they offered me a convenience I was willing to pay.

You can't sell 600 credits on the GTN, other than I could buy materials and put those up for sell on the GTN. You know what buys more materials than 600 credits? 1000 credits.

My hope, buy posting here and there, is that it keeps the issue going indefinitely, until the devs put in a different system. Bioware can do better than a mission that costs you credits to make potentially less credits, give us something different that we can "potentially" sell for more, rather than know is the same or less.

I agree 100%. Crew Skills should yield items or materials, not credits.

I see it going one of 2 ways. Either the returns offset the costs with minimum profit, which makes it largely useless timesink at maximum level, or the returns make it too easy to get rich and ruin the economy.

Edited by MorgonKara

Average investment = 2.1k. Average return = 2 mats valued at 185 credits.

You have been barely adjusted to everyone else's level. Welcome to what everyone else deals with. Now you actually have to look at what you signed up to harvest and find a way to make money off those. If you want to make money. Go kill mobs, do quests, and sell mats to crafters. If you want to lose money: Craft and run missions.

Just because you lose money vendoring mats is your problem. I know of folks doing UWT and just recently talked to a guildie who is another gathering profession who are millionaires off of their profession, but yet slicing is the OP one because our profits didn't come from the GTN.

Just because you lose money vendoring mats is your problem. I know of folks doing UWT and just recently talked to a guildie who is another gathering profession who are millionaires off of their profession, but yet slicing is the OP one because our profits didn't come from the GTN.

Yes but at least materials and items provide a service to the community and promote trade and craft in the game world based on a loose supply/demand. If the slicing crew skill yielded nothing but raw currency profit, then it would be a simple matter for anyone to make a slicing alt to farm credits. Next thing you know the game economy is inflated to the point where it's mandatory. You would basically just be printing your own money with minimal time/effort investment.

Edited by MorgonKara

It would benefit a lot of people to read the two main threads covering the nerf.

A lot of circular arguments are being thrown around that have been addressed, and there have been quite a few good suggestions as fixes or modifications to slicing and crew professions in general.

Honestly, the real problem I continue seeing is communication. BioWare and the community should be communicating on the issue. Knee-jerk reaction or not, it has caused a lot of fuss, and it would largely be in BioWare's interest to make a stance on certain matters.

The slicing nerf is one of many problems that they could benefit by addressing. PvP, the crafting system as a whole, BH quest lines - there are a lot of more important issues that need to be addressed as well, but these are being avoided also.

The problem here is that...what if this continues? Where will this leave SWTOR? I think it has all the materials to make for an incredible game, but that will not happen until communication improves and explanations emerge.

That is the reason I, and many others, cancelled our re-subscriptions. Hopefully BW will get the message, because I would love to continue playing this game. However, I won't be entering in another abusive relationship with an MMO that just beats me and beats me and I keep running back to it. (read:SWG, WoW)

You can bet that within an hour of a response on any of the above mentioned issues, I will gladly re-subscribe.

Point is, the line of communication needs to be restored.

Edited by Pansophist

Just a couple of points

Any prof can be at 400 for a level 10 chracter....is it unbalanced to have a level 10 getting underworld metals to sell?

The whole point of slicing is to make credits, its the non-crafter crew skill....right now its pointless, you may not like the idea, but tough, it was supposed to make credits, now it doesn't.

I am not sure, but why should anybody make money from running missions?? I am a archaeology, underworld trading, & synthweaver. I am definitely losing money from gathering missions in both. I always thought the mechanic in ANY MMO GAME to attain mats, you must spend time (to gather manually) or money (on the AH to buy mats). Either way, Pre-nerf Slicing allowed you to not spend the time (manually) by running missions and still make a profit. So with 0 time invested (you have given up nothing), and the net returns is positive.

From a straight mechanic perspective, in MMOs across the board, that concept is broken. Something that gives you monetary profit where you do not have to invest time is broken. Just push a button and accept mission. Thats it!

I actually thought BioWare's point of missions was for those ppl who are willing to pay money instead of time (the investment) and get the return of leveling up their gathering skill (as opposed to running around and mapping nodes like in other MMOs). Isn't the most comparable concept, the rich elitist in an MMO who purchased currency from a 3rd party, bought of all the mats on an AH, and then power-leveled a craft?

This is why I am totally confused by all the slicers who claim the nerf was because non-slicers "QQ-ed" ... They are blind to understand a basic concept in every known MMO to gamers: something for nothing is broken. Profit from pushing a button while you run a flashpoint is broken. It should not be. No gathering skill should be like that. And from what I have seen from my own gathering skills, if I were to run missions to attain all my mats I would actually be financially at a net loss (which is NORMAL). However, I would be power-leveled to 400 without any help from a high level player which is technically a great trade-off.

Maybe I am just seeing this to simplistically.

You bet you are

The main point of this mmo is that you have CREW that you can send on missions to do stuff. If sending them Costs what is the point of having CREW other then the one guy your using to tank / heal

You should pick up a book about the basics of economics. Money is an exchange rate, it never has a fixed value, it's worth changes all the time. I'll take money over goods anytime if they are worth the same at that moment and I don't have immediate use for the goods (I make an exception for cake).

It's pretty stupid to pay 1000 credits for something that's worth only 600 credits. I would have kept my money :p

<snip>

That's why you don't do missions to gain money, you do missions for a chance on extra goods: augments, missions. The credit return is just there to compensate for the expenses.

Again, pick up a book about money. Cos you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Money is king and money makes the world go round :D

For heaven's sake.. *censored*

They are all gathering skills and slicing isn't some special snowflake that should be the only gathering skill to net profit on missions.

You do not get *nothing* from slicing missions, you get a resource, a chance on extra loot and a skillup. Same goes for other gathering skills.

The only thing you need to remember is that money or materials are both resources. The money you gain from slicing can be used to buy materials. So why should you get more gain from your missions than other gatherers?

You spend 800 credits on a slicing mission and receive 600 credits = you spend 800 credist on a scavenging mission and receive 600 credits worth of materials. Or do you want more salary from your boss too, cos you only got money for your work? Seriously.. how can you not see that money and goods can be compared by looking at their monetary value.

You miss the point of slicing

Slicing was designed as a crafting skill for people who don't craft.

Basically it needs a positive return - not talking about stupid amounts for credits but it needs positive return.

I do however notice that nothing is selling on the ah now example what is the point of upgrading my orange lightsaber if a green is better.

This nerf has affected people who craft mod upgrades, and hilts. There not going to craft a lvl 19 blue to r/e it in the hope of getting a orange pastern. Why because there is no return on investment. They would no be better to just craft greens lvl to 50 and then possibly start crafting lvl 50 upgrades. But these wont sell because the vendor gear has better stats anyways.