Galactic Seasons is a Cash Shop Front

FlatTax

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a poke in the eye; Galactic Seasons presents us with dubious grinds, and with every click asks for cash.

It's a giant, shameful monetizaiton strategy.

I only had a brief exploration of it, but I didn’t see anything like that. I’m a subscriber though

I don’t see where you have to pay anything. In fact, if you don’t like it you don’t even have to play it.

you're right, there are better things to invest valuable time to play. in the words of reggie, "if its not fun why bother"

this game at least still has some story content they pump out every 8 months so thats good, at least. and you dont have to pay for it if you have the expansion

I don’t see where you have to pay anything. In fact, if you don’t like it you don’t even have to play it.

Well, from what I saw there is an option to buy the ranks with cartel coins, 1k per rank.

So I imagine some impatient folks might decide to drop some cash to get there quick.

Spending money is an option for people who want a lazy out, not the core feature or even a requirement of the system.

It’s also a fresh opportunity for some nice items, included covered decos and new strongholds.

I’m personally very excited.

What a poke in the eye; Galactic Seasons presents us with dubious grinds, and with every click asks for cash.

It's a giant, shameful monetizaiton strategy.

What you fail to mention is that it also grants you Cartel Coins every couple of levels. If you play it right, it will funnel a lot of money into your game pockets.

So while it might be a shameful monetization strategy for the impatient players, it will also be a very lucrative Activity for the diligent ones. Especially if you have multiple legacies across different servers.

Edited by Phazonfreak

100% cash grab. It’s why they Nerfed the referral system at the same time.

So instead of making the game better so people don’t leave, they spend the time making this to milk the cash cows one more time.

I don't know, I only ever offered my referral link once in the game to get the unique mount and that's it. I never bothered anyone to click my link, I never scammed anyone with it and I never put it into my signature here on the forums to get the random click from a complete stranger.

What I do get now with Galactic Seasons is the option to earn Cartel Coins simply by being a subscriber and playing the actual game. I have 4 legacies across 4 servers and with no more amount of time and commitment that I put into this game than before I will be able to earn 16.000 Cartel Coins in 5 months next to the 2.500 complementary Cartel Coins and all the other new seasonal rewards.

However, I do get why the lot of you is annoyed with that change and do the typical doomsayer dance now, because the days of spamming the referral link in everyone's faces are finally over and you cry over your easy Cartel Coins that you were able to get with no effort at all.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I don't know, I only ever offered my referral link once in the game to get the unique mount and that's it. I never bothered anyone to click my link, I never scammed anyone with it and I never put it into my signature here on the forums to get the random click from a complete stranger.

What I do get now with Galactic Seasons is the option to earn Cartel Coins simply by being a subscriber and playing the actual game. I have 4 legacies across 4 servers and with no more amount of time and commitment than I put into this game before I will be able to earn 16.000 Cartel Coins in 5 months next to all the other new seasonal rewards.

I do get why the lot of you is annoyed with that change and do the typical doomsayer dance now, because the easy days of spamming the referral link in everyone's faces are finally over and you cry over your easy Cartel Coins that you were able to get with no effort at all.

I never did those things either. My signature was the only way I got referrals from people who appreciated my posts. I got a few thousand CCs a month if I’m lucky. But I do know that some people like swtorista, Vulk, Snave and the influencer guys or streamers have been getting millions of CCs through their content creation channels.

The easiest thing Bioware could have done is just put a cap on how much you could get a month and also preventing people already subscribed from clicking the link (I never understood the reason for that).

I also think they did this because of the scammers in the game selling the referrals and then not paying up, but it’s not their only reason. The main reason was to cut off the flow of free CCs they couldn’t control with game play. This new seasons thing is a cash grab, pure and simple, so they needed to control the CCs so people will pay money.

I will even hypnosis’s that this is a preemptive to CM changes because they need to change the way they monetise the cash shop due to the UK and other countries wanting to introduce laws against RNG paid loot boxes. I believe you will see the paid RNG loot boxes disappear this year or next sometime. So EA needed another mechanism for collect off the whales. Essentially opening up all the season with CC is $80 USD worth and we can already see that many have already done this on day one.

Sadly, this sort of activity setup would have been perfect as a credit sink. And still could be a credit sink if they let people use credits instead of CCs.

Start the first 5 opening up at 1 million each and then scale it up as the season progressed so it would cost a billion credits to open it all up.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Well, from what I saw there is an option to buy the ranks with cartel coins, 1k per rank.

So I imagine some impatient folks might decide to drop some cash to get there quick.

actually 100 cc per rank and 10000 total.just to be fair

i see both sides. to me it always up to you. what you do. I follow bonny nation on youtube. i heard refer to it like a battle pass in other games. but im trying to think of a mmo that has one. i know a few have login rewards. nothing like this. why i dont mind it do have couple suggestions to make it easier on players. like me know there many solo players ou there. so give a alternative then operation like complete a set number story mode fp or such. also increase the tokens given out. i get where they dont buying both apartments in one season. but give us to buy more four to 8 things

This was all planned out and yes it is a cash grab system they added. Of course other than the whales I don't expect anybody to be foolish enough to buy coins to progress through the season. I used the free 500 I had and noticed they do hand you free CC's every couple of levels. I'm not really surprised they did this ...

Ive simply decided not to participate at all in galactic seasons. Mainly, theres nothing there thats remotely interesting to me. Now, if they would have given players a choice of what kind of content to run for any certain rank, i might have dabbled in it but first day release.....pvp and starfighter?....nah thats quite alright. Ill pass.

I see lots of needed adjustments in the near future on this.

However, I do get why the lot of you is annoyed with that change and do the typical doomsayer dance now, because the days of spamming the referral link in everyone's faces are finally over and you cry over your easy Cartel Coins that you were able to get with no effort at all.

I never had the referral in my signature either, it wouldn't have left any room for witty banter. :cool:

And yet I am also sad and suspicious to see it go because it means prefs will no longer be able to jump back into the game every three months. The referral was a great way to bypass the credit wall - which is an economically stupid system - and the limits on uprisings and ops - which is also a stupid limit that discourages a higher population doing group play.

I don't care that subs got CCs while I got game time. I never did. It was a reasonable trade and I never got paid creds to click on someone's referral. I would be surprised if ANYONE[1] cared besides BW, and they cared, OBVIOUSLY, because it was a source of CCs they weren't in control of.

[1] Actually, given the snide chuckles since they decided to cancel referrals, and given the entitled supremacy of swtor players when other players got shinies they didn't, I'm sure there were plenty of whiny people on this forum who resented players getting CCs this way. By anyone, I mean people involved in the transaction, not the usual coterie of forum crybabies.

It's interesting, but so far there seems to be a heavy emphasis on PVP and GSF.

The biggest problem with GSF is that it's very hard to learn in the first place, and the tutorial is just horribly, abysmally bad. It tells you to use some control, but doesn't tell you where that control is, or what it looks like. The engine has the potential to highlight the controls in question, one at a time, to make them obvious and unmistakable, but BW apparently doesn't care enough.

If BW really wants people to play GSF, they should take the time to totally re-do the tutorial from scratch, with a series of tutorials, gradually introducing the player to how it works one step at a time. The whole problem is getting people started. They ragequit because the tutorial is so insanely frustrating.

This was all planned out and yes it is a cash grab system they added. Of course other than the whales I don't expect anybody to be foolish enough to buy coins to progress through the season. I used the free 500 I had and noticed they do hand you free CC's every couple of levels. I'm not really surprised they did this ...

A recent study shows that most whales in gaming aren’t rich (it’s a misunderstood term because we all think they must have money to burn).

They just have an addictive personality or poor money management. Often the whales spend more on games than food during the week or miss out paying vital bills or rent on time so they can buy stuff in games. It’s a sad situation and unfortunately, game studios don’t care about their tactics as long as they can grab their cash.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

UGH !!!

As much as I find an issue with the new concept (rehashing the old content for new stuff) ... IMO the only time this is a Cash Shop Front is for those that are too lazy to do (CQ based) "new objectives" now called "personal objectives".

Some people will always look for the short cut !! (so what else is new ?)

As someone else has already accurately pointed out: play the game ... have fun !!

(one addendum to their point) : AND if you like GSF and other PvP activities you should do quote well getting more free stuff !!

Heck ... it's free stuff for playing the same thing over and over again ! (there's a couple FP's that EVEN I HAVE ..memorized )

100% cash grab. It’s why they Nerfed the referral system at the same time.

So instead of making the game better so people don’t leave, they spend the time making this to milk the cash cows one more time.

You're joking, right? Re-rolled yesterday's daily and weekly because they were things I wasn't going to play. Total cost: 0. Today's daily objectives were heroics and mobs on Alderaan, so I just did them. Total cost: 0. Finishing today's dailies gave me a "claim" button for a speeder and a new comp. Total cost: 20 CC, to unlock them both for my entire Legacy. Amount of cash laid out specifically for the unlocks: 0. Again, if it's a cash grab, it's a poor one.

As someone else has already accurately pointed out: play the game ... have fun !!

Unfortunately one of the issues popping up, is that people are getting content they don't want to do, and shouldn't have to. I like the refresh option, but you only get one, so maybe, a couple of more would help. It's still all RNG, but it might help, if you have more chances.

I know you can use cc's, (and credits, eventually) to skip the prizes, and claim them, but I don't understand what happens to the objectives, do you miss out on any achievement for not doing them, does it means you've less points at the end of the season, will it affect anything, etc :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.