Should We Just Join the Private Discord Channel?

Jdast

I see we are doubling down on the conspiracy theories, corrupt developers? Now that's pretty creative even for this thread :jawa_tongue: i am sure with your expertise in "optics", things seem flat rather than round to you

Sorry for sorta flaming you here but... imho, it's your attitude that's been the most rancor i've seen in the thread.

On some level i can't really blame you though, since it's fairly obvious you're just posting out of an overwhelming (and understandable) fear of losing the very access you claim is so "unimportant" .

I don't really mind tbh, all of the swtor related discords that I am on have a purpose outside of just being a place for players to communicate with the developers and try to interpret what they are saying. After all, we went an entire weekend with only a few dev messages but over 20k player posts, so by far all of it is just player-driven, compare that to the forums that are only for player to dev, and the reverse, and I am sure you can see why I finding some of these arguments a bit comedic. It's true that I and the few others that have argued against you and the few others that still post regularly in this thread are breaking a bit into the "echo chamber" you got going on, so I guess that's why you find both this topic with new technology and my post a bit upsetting.

Most discord users and conversations topics don't demand or require a dev response or participation, while here its rather the opposite.

Edited by RikuvonDrake

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is indeed a lot about discord to not be liking, even before you get to its security issues.

Fake messages on Discord are not new, and still very easy to do

example: BioChris on Theory Crafting Discord - real vs edited

As for Devs on Discord: So long as they stay random PrivateCitizen#9999, ok, fine. But any /all "official" identification /recognition on privately controlled server(s) should be a no-go unless it is some sort of public event, period. They want "official" status on discord, have an official BW SWTOR discord that is open for all to join, and controlled by BW, not a private non-employee individual.

Anything else just maintains the perception that they are discussing business (game) decisions with non-employees and are being biased against their own "official" platforms for proper communication, which iirc is a violation of company rules (as they like to make noises at enforcing here, but only when it suits them)

But, if they like and want to keep the perceptions that they are biased, petty, and hypocritical,

then they'll just keep on as they are...

Edited by Kaveat

if all you want in life is just to talk to a dev the highest chance is on twitter, poke one of their handles and if you have a question they want/can answer they will, just like the forums, just less ppl just twitter to demand answers

would change nothing from how things are now, there is a huge unofficial discord with devs and most of the player base that uses discord on it already, all it would change is more work for bioware with no change in what they gain back, and most importantly, the responsibility and accountability for the discord

not sure if you are aware but there are lots of fluff sections on this forum as well for offtopic, random conversations etc., in fact a large part of the forums "postcount" came from non-conversational sections + offtopic. that's just a major part of any community. afaik next to all conversations on the discord as well as here are usually in the appropriate channel/section as mods and other move/delete things when they are posted in the wrong place

my intention wasn't to show that "more is better", just that the activity on the discord by far dwarfs that of the forum (since there were a few boomers not understanding the importance of discord within the gaming community), I wholeheartedly agree that the forums might have a reason to exist in 2021, but its also easy to understand why they are not used as much as before and why devs are branching out to other platforms. After all we have had devs join enjin forums and skype conversations back when that was a thing guilds and raid groups used.

I've seen a not-insignificant number of threads be wrongly moved to another forum. If we could direct all the true bantha poodoo to a Discord, that would be a suitable use for it.

Again with the insinuation that everyone that doesn't like Discord as a means of communicating and archiving information is a Luddite boomer. You keep dismissing this segment of the community but it doesn't change the reality that there is a substantial part of the playerbase (regardless of age) that prefers the forums and for valid, good reasons.

I see we are doubling down on the conspiracy theories, corrupt developers? Now that's pretty creative even for this thread :jawa_tongue: i am sure with your expertise in "optics", things seem flat rather than round to you

I don't really mind tbh, all of the swtor related discords that I am on have a purpose outside of just being a place for players to communicate with the developers and try to interpret what they are saying. After all, we went an entire weekend with only a few dev messages but over 20k player posts, so by far all of it is just player-driven, compare that to the forums that are only for player to dev, and the reverse, and I am sure you can see why I finding some of these arguments a bit comedic. It's true that I and the few others that have argued against you and the few others that still post regularly in this thread are breaking a bit into the "echo chamber" you got going on, so I guess that's why you find both this topic with new technology and my post a bit upsetting.

Most discord users and conversations topics don't demand or require a dev response or participation, while here its rather the opposite.

and back to the start again, round and round we go, oh well some people just struggle against change I guess, nothing to do ;)

I don't get this whole "new technology" angle you keep playing. Chat rooms had been mainstream since the early 90s, and existed even before then with IRC. The only thing really new about Discord is it also supports voicechat. It's not unlike IRC and the chat rooms of yesterday otherwise.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

Discord is the new kid on the block but the idea and implementation are not that young; TeamSpeak and Ventrilo are nearly 20 years old each.

Exactly, and in addition, the protest is primarily in the perceived favoritism it provides to the discord channel mods. If Chris was to not let his BW affiliation be known and/or they had a BW moderated discord, my issues would be moot.

A gatekeeper calling people using the official and ostensibly preferred means of communication gatekeepers merely proves that point.

Edited by KendraP

Discord is the new kid on the block but the idea and implementation are not that young; TeamSpeak and Ventrilo are nearly 20 years old each.

In practice discord is a massive spiderweb of text based chatrooms at least as much as it is a voice communication service. TS and Vent both had text based chat features, but all of that was way too restricting and clumsy on both to be viable or popular in any larger scale. Making sure people setting up rooms or servers have pretty good tools for building and maintaining the community is the singular big, new thing about discord I guess.

Edited by Stradlin

Discord is basically the modern AOL. They just need to add @discord domain email.

• Dev Post

As this conversation has become an echo chamber, I am locking this thread. I try to be fair when it comes to discussions where there are a variety of opinions on a given topic and allow voices to be heard, but this conversation is going nowhere. There are also insinuations that are disrespectful towards multiple parties including our team, and I am not going to tolerate that. Be respectful. To each other, to the community/player base, and to my team.