Should We Just Join the Private Discord Channel?

Jdast

You know the CQ trolls that’s were here to destroy crafting weren’t on the TC discord? And as far as I know, Bioware didn’t engage with them about it in other discord’s either.

I really think this thread is going in a direction that is going to prove more negative to BioWare communication here and elsewhere. I feel this is turning into a polarising thread because people want something to blame for all the bad forum communication (understandably) and poor game QA and other issues seemingly being ignored on the surface.

I’m not trying to defend official BioWare. I think we all have legitimate gripes at the moment, but if we keep going after this topic and Chris, we may find we’ll have less community interaction and knowledge over all platforms because BioWare will put a moratorium on things and that will shut down communication more than it is. That won’t be good for us or the game. I’m suggesting we pull back and let things settle down for a bit.

IMO ... two things:

** a "private channel" is a "private channel". I would personally be no different on that channel than I am here. Some see that as a "weakness" and the inability to stand up to others on the net with the appropriate persona needed for the kind of communication needed in order to "get things done". I disagree. I see it the exact opposite. If someone can't talk civil with some degree of intelligence ... then they are hiding something !! That simple. NO ... we don't always agree !! But we can discuss whatever is needed and come to a better understanding IF WE WANT TO !!

Private channels are private ... and they set their own rules (like it or not)

** Official communication: the forums. It's just that simple. We meet here as a community for a large number of reasons. Sometimes that ACTUALLY works !!! :eek::eek::eek: (yeah ... surprisingly enough)

** And to some degree Trixx ... we just need to take a deep breath right now. The wall is DEFINATELY getting higher !!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BioWare will put a moratorium on things and that will shut down communication more than it is.

You really think BioWare is going to "shut down" communication because of THIS thread of all threads? Like seriously Trixxie, what are you even talking about right now lol

There was literally ONE "toxic" post in this entire thread and it was already deleted by Jackie.

So, the real question is: Why are you (of all people on these forums) all of a sudden seemingly trying to muzzle a very valid (and so far, civil) discussion?

---

. I’m suggesting we pull back and let things settle down for a bit.

The forum Mods are more than capable of deciding when the thread goes overboard and/or has run it's course.

Amazingly, now the thread is starting to veer way off-topic , but i wonder why? Chicken or the egg theory? :eek:

Edited by Nee-Elder

My intention wasn't to veer the thread off course, just to point out that it's a private server, and therefore not subject to BW's rules, and it can be abused, etc. Was going to edit the other post, but didn't want to be accused of hiding stuff, etc. I'm sure the mods, will delete it, if they deem it off topic.

Nothing really more to say on this matter, so I'll sign off here, and leave it at that.

Thanks for the post, Jackie. And trust me: there are a great many of us in the Community (vocal or not) who have noticed your efforts and very much appreciate them. (especially in the 'Star Wars section' :D )

---

As evidenced by my other posts within this thread, i tend to agree with you.

However, there's still this obscure thing called 'freedom' most of us all know & value. So yeah, how would EAWare "force" (pun intended) an employee (KappaChris or whomever) to never ever use 3rd-party non-official SWTOR discords?

Particularly since he/she could just simply go anonymous anyway.

imho, EA must've signed off on Chris' presence there, justifying it as some sort of "data collecting interaction with playerbase" effort , hence why he ended up posting here officially about it? :cool:

You have answered your own question, emphasis mine. Instead of going in, flying a flag that says "I'm an employee", they should go in anonymous.

except it's not official, and run by people with their own agenda, and own interests in promoting their style of play. Who can ban people for little or no reason, or if they don't agree with their politics Not only that they allow abusive behaviour that isn't tolerated here. We've already see what can happen to content when it's not the favourite of these people, and they have the devs ear. Instead of trying to improve ALL content for ALL people, the instigated a campaign to destroy content others like. Even though there were plenty of workable and elegant solutions to the 'supposed' issues, the devs went with that bunch, and we've seen the results.

I know some people are claiming the forums are toxic, but compared to discord, this is a church meeting, and we're all ned flanders'

So what? If you want direct access to the Devs, you need to do things you don't find completely appealing

So what? If you want direct access to the Devs, you need to do things you don't find completely appealing

...and this is the problem, and this is why they shouldn't go in to private servers announcing who they are. None of us should have "direct access" to anything that isn't available to anyone else publicly. This leads to things like "I'm going to get you banned, because I know a dev".

...and this is the problem, and this is why they shouldn't go in to private servers announcing who they are. None of us should have "direct access" to anything that isn't available to anyone else publicly. This leads to things like "I'm going to get you banned, because I know a dev".

Agreed. Even if he says "unofficial" with the name "biochris" it will be interpreted as official.

If clicking a button to join a PUBLIC discord server is too difficult for you....... I don't know what to tell you

Edited by KingDeathII

If clicking a button to join a PUBLIC discord server is too difficult for you....... I don't know what to tell you

He said nothing about it being too difficult. Its about a private moderated channel having a known, self advertised dev.

He said nothing about it being too difficult. Its about a private moderated channel having a known, self advertised dev.

So... Just join it? Nothing is stopping you apparently so I don't understand what the fuss is about.

It's public. Just join it.

So... Just join it? Nothing is stopping you apparently so I don't understand what the fuss is about.

I have joined it, and no it's not public, you require an invite (which I grant you is widely avaliable). If it makes you feel better delete private from that sentence and replace it with third party moderated, same point. Official information or official appearing information should come from official means. If "biochris" wishes to participate in the discord, he should do so in an obviously private manner - i.e. remove "bio" from his name

Edited by KendraP

Not only isn't it too difficult, I even own my own channel. Difficulty isn't the point, private access to a developer is. Most of the games that I play would fire a dev for publicly doing what he's doing, because it sends the wrong message to the rest of the player base. The only time I would expect to have to go to a 3rd party site for official information is if there is no other official channel. We are currently posting on an official channel.

If understanding the optics to this situation is over your head, I don't know what to tell you. Well, I actually do know what to tell you, but I'd lose my access, at least temporarily, if I did.

so you are proposing that they shut down the swtor reddit and swtor discord as they are both unofficial and privately moderated with devs participating in discussions?

keeping it classy forum warriors, surprised devs don't comment as much :jawa_angel:

Devs hardly ever post in the SWTOR reddit.

Not one person is or has suggested those platforms shut down, nor that BW employees eschew them. But when posting on issues directly related to the game, they should also post here. There are a multitude of reasons why that is superior from logistics, ease of tracking information, transparency, etc. Moreover, it seems to be BW's stated policy. Keep in mind, we're not talking about a few comments here and there. We are talking a complete lack of communication on the official forums about issues directly related to the game.

It's really not that complicated. At the end of the day, people are going to gravitate to where the devs post and discuss issues related to the game. That should hardly come as a surprise. As of now, though, the official forums are useful only for learning about schedules, which they also cross-post on Twitter.

Seems to me the best solution would be an official discord channel. Problem(s) solved.

Dasty

Discord is probably the most horrible form for...discourse. Topics discussed on Discord are as if this forum was one giant thread. "Posts" are gone in an instant, due to its chat room style. Once it scrolls off, it's out-of-sight, out-of-mind. Things can be searched for, but rarely does anyone use the Search feature. Reddit is hardly any better, with its arbitrary six month thread age limit and how people basically treat it like Discord. The forums are the best way to keep a record of things and for people to contribute to threads when they have something relevant to share, even if that thread is months, if not years old, provided they can get over their fear of the necro stigma. The only problem is people treat it like Reddit now as if they've never come across an internet message board in their lives.

If he's doing it in his private capacity in his private time, he should be doing so with a pseudonym without disclosing any relationship with BW; like he was just another regular player.

I agree with this. The "fly on the wall" approach ensures his status as a dev doesn't taint responses one way or the other. It's a great way to put some feelers out there and see how elements of the community react, but it should in no way be used as it is, except for some special Q&A session, like Reddit's AMA.

I like this post, because you probably didn't go around the PvP forums recently. Conquest changes around crafting took two weeks of whining to be implemented. Matchmaking and PvP daily rewards are still not even acknowledged by the devs. I think that nobody on this game has priority on one thing over the other. The only thing where Bioware is more than active is cartel market-related bugs. I doubt that you can say that players are interested in one topic above the other. The forums don't help much, as it is hard to see how many players read your post (again, upvote feature, anyone ?).

However, what you're saying does imply that there is work to do around a lot of subjects in this game, and not "just one" more important than another. On that I'm sure we agree. ;)

A voting feature would just encourage people to post for the sake of farming upvotes. This is the problem Reddit has.

I understand it can be a bit intimidating to move between one platform that you are used to another or several others, but that is basically where communication is at the moment. Like it or not, developers are responding using their personal accounts on Twitter both in replies and in dm, in twitch chat, on discords and on a lot of different platforms, that's just how gaming communication is (and most other fields as well). Just calm down a little and hold your pitchforks, all official communication will still go through the forums like KappaChris wrote before.

As I am sure you are aware, the developers gather feedback and information from several different platforms and the communities in these, I am sure most of the roleplaying, nightmare pve and ranked pvp communities moved to discords at some point within the last few years when forums began to die, but there were devs in those communities already then, devs communicating in real-time with players in swtor (and most other games) is nothing new, gaming looks very different now compared to 20 years ago.

In the end, it seems that this thread as well is turning to one of those back and forth or echo chamber discussions that this forum is filled with already, in the "waterfall" of discord this would have been done and dealt with after KappaChris post, but here it just goes round and round again, which in a way is a perfect illustration of why most forums died off.

Gatekeeping communication and conversations between player and developer is not something good

You are confused, KappaChris is in quite a few discords with the most common ones being the main swtor discord, the server discords and a few others with specific themes/purposes, like the theorycrafting one. Let's try to not use bad faith to make a point in a discussion.

I understand you assume everyone that doesn't like Discord is intimidated by the "scary, new-fangled technology," but that is a very broad brush you're painting with. Chat rooms aren't new by any stretch of the imagination. They existed long before Discord was even an idea in someone's mind. I've used Discord, and it's definitely not the best for holding any worthwhile discussion. The only positive is it reflects a conversation in person better: You have to be there at the time to understand what's going on, but that is also its negative. That's not necessarily the best way to converse on the internet.

why complain about something that has no affect on you. Maybe these guys have real questions other people cant answer. Seems like this community doesnt like PvP players. Let me remid you of something, this game was designed as Light VS Dark. PvP should always be the most important thing.

This game's focus has always been story. Story has always set up all the other elements. Without story, there would be no game.

"Which is 1 of the reasons why most Fleet & planets 'genchat' in-game is flooded with "noobie obvious questions" amidst the slew of spam & trolls.

there is tons of information on the internet, these "noobies" can use the internet im guesing. There is a lot of elitism going on here. Remember, youre only playing a video game, and people like you drive the playerbase away.

They can but they don't want to. The amount of sheer laziness to search for previously answered questions and sheer entitlement to instant answers is astounding.

Technically it is "public" sure but admins are actually banning ALOT of people left/right & centre to suit their own agenda even if most of them haven't done or said anything wrong so that actually removes quite a lot of availability & all of a sudden it isn't "public" anymore.

Once again the regular forum population does a great job of illustrating exactly why the developers are wary of communicating in a more casual manner using this platform. A few posts get misrepresented to create conflict and toxicity. It's also sad to see how certain forum users continue to use bad faith in order to make their arguments and points seem more reasonable, guess that's the state of this place now.

Other users seem to be living in a different decade, at this point, most studios and game developers use discord to communicate and gather feedback, quite a few games don't even use forums anymore since this platform has died off within the gaming community. Feedback is gathered from a variety of sources, both ingame data and other platforms, discord is one of them, nothing more, nothing less.

Gatekeeping is always negative, and it's sad to see that in 2021 people talk in favour of it

I suggest certainly people take a step back, a deep breath, relax and read through KappaChris post one more time, it really does a good job of explaining the entire premise of this thread.

Edited by RikuvonDrake

Technically it is "public" sure but admins are actually banning ALOT of people left/right & centre to suit their own agenda even if most of them haven't done or said anything wrong so that actually removes quite a lot of availability & all of a sudden it isn't "public" anymore.

I have a hunch that you people got banned from the theorycrafter discord because you were toxic and insulting people and now are just butthurt about it. FYI, whatever you did to get banned on theorcyrafters would have earned you a SWTOR Forum ban as well. The rules are nearly identical: Dont be racist, toxic, abusive, or hateful and don't spam. Its really not that hard.

Once again the regular forum population does a great job of illustrating exactly why the developers are wary of communicating in a more casual manner using this platform. A few posts get misrepresented to create conflict and toxicity. It's also sad to see how certain forum users continue to use bad faith in order to make their arguments and points seem more reasonable, guess that's the state of this place now.

Let's look at what I said about this: "the optics are bad, and so it should be avoided". You have just confirmed that by lashing out at the people that are saying "this looks bad". I get that you have to defend your access, and don't want to see it go away, but that's part of the reason it should have never happened in the first place, and is part of the reason that most game companies won't allow this kind of thing.

Other users seem to be living in a different decade, at this point, most studios and game developers use discord to communicate and gather feedback, quite a few games don't even use forums anymore since this platform has died off within the gaming community. Feedback is gathered from a variety of sources, both ingame data and other platforms, discord is one of them, nothing more, nothing less.

Gatekeeping is always negative, and it's sad to see that in 2021 people talk in favour of it

I suggest certainly people take a step back, a deep breath, relax and read through KappaChris post one more time, it really does a good job of explaining the entire premise of this thread.

Ironically, your private platform is every bit as guilty of gatekeeping. You can remove any player you like, for any reason, with no consequence, because you own the platform. That's fine, in fact, it's necessary, and I say that as someone that's had to manage voice chat servers since before there was a discord to have to manage, and yet, I have a discord channel too. Hell, I have a YouTube channel. I don't use it for anything, posted one video for a friend that died, back before there was a discord to manage. So while you see these slights you throw around as "logical", I see them as thrashing around wildly trying to cover every base you can to protect your private access to a game dev.

Once again, "the optics are bad, and this is why it shouldn't be happening".

Devs hardly ever post in the SWTOR reddit.

Discord is probably the most horrible form for...discourse. Topics discussed on Discord are as if this forum was one giant thread. "Posts" are gone in an instant, due to its chat room style. Once it scrolls off, it's out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

. Reddit is hardly any better, with its arbitrary six month thread age limit and how people basically treat it like Discord.

The forums are the best way to keep a record of things and for people to contribute to threads when they have something relevant to share, even if that thread is months, if not years old, provided they can get over their fear of the necro stigma.

The only problem is people treat it like Reddit now as if they've never come across an internet message board in their lives.

The "fly on the wall" approach ensures his status as a dev doesn't taint responses one way or the other. It's a great way to put some feelers out there and see how elements of the community react, but it should in no way be used as it is, except for some special Q&A session, like Reddit's AMA.

I understand you assume everyone that doesn't like Discord is intimidated by the "scary, new-fangled technology," but that is a very broad brush you're painting with. Chat rooms aren't new by any stretch of the imagination. They existed long before Discord was even an idea in someone's mind. I've used Discord, and it's definitely not the best for holding any worthwhile discussion. The only positive is it reflects a conversation in person better: You have to be there at the time to understand what's going on, but that is also its negative. That's not necessarily the best way to converse on the internet.

This game's focus has always been story. Story has always set up all the other elements. Without story, there would be no game.

They can but they don't want to. The amount of sheer laziness to search for previously answered questions and sheer entitlement to instant answers is astounding.

QFE QFE QFE ^^^^^^^

A rare someone posting purely with measured reason and grounded perspective.

Preach, fellow forum-user!

---

You have just confirmed that by lashing out at the people that are saying "this looks bad". I get that you have to defend your access, and don't want to see it go away, but that's part of the reason it should have never happened in the first place, and is part of the reason that most game companies won't allow this kind of thing.

Ironically, your private platform is every bit as guilty of gatekeeping. You can remove any player you like, for any reason, with no consequence, because you own the platform. That's fine, in fact, it's necessary, and I say that as someone that's had to manage voice chat servers since before there was a discord to have to manage, and yet, I have a discord channel too.

So while you see these slights you throw around as "logical", I see them as thrashing around wildly trying to cover every base you can to protect your private access to a game dev.

Once again, "the optics are bad, and this is why it shouldn't be happening".

Preach x 2 ^

Drop the mic on those 2 big posts imo.

Edited by Nee-Elder

I just want to say that I appreciate greatly that Chris engages with the community the way he does, and I’d like it to continue.

Discord is a great platform for less formal and stretched communication compared to what the official forums are supposed to provide. I realize it’s speculation but it feels like the amount of active players who frequently visit forums and don’t use discord is fairly low; it means very few people are “gated”, and it’s entirely their choice. Besides they aren’t really missing much, nothing super important and crucial is discussed there; it’s more like getting a little bit of insight into some aspects of the game and seeing a dev as a living person, not a faceless individual behind the wall of yellow text.

Edited by Ollmich

I just want to say that I appreciate greatly that Chris engages with the community the way he does,

I appreciate it too. I only wish he'd do it more often, ya know, here on the OFFICIAL forums.

That's all.

--

and I’d like it to continue.

Uh-huh, that much is clear. And i don't blame you btw , nor the other owner/admins of the "SWTOR" discord channel. My only "gripe" is very simple: BioWare Devs (Chris or whomever) should engage & post more often HERE on their own website than they do within a 3rd-party un-official side-site full of people with potentially their own agendas (who may or may not even be paying subscribers) .

Again, emphasis on the phrase: more often.

Why is that such a controversial request? Like, seriously.

---

Discord is a great platform for less formal and stretched communication compared to what the official forums are supposed to provide.

huh? Do you work in PR by chance? :D

---

. Besides they aren’t really missing much, nothing super important and crucial is discussed there;

Oh really? That's not what i heard (or saw) .

Besides, if it were so "nothing" or un-important, why be so protective of it?

--

it’s more like getting a little bit of insight into some aspects of the game

Exactly what swtor.com is supposed to be, no ? ----> http://www.swtor.com/info/

--

and seeing a dev as a living person, not a faceless individual behind the wall of yellow text.

Oh you mean like this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=953694

And this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=985921

Or this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=986350

Or even this: http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20190207

Or hey how 'bout these: http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog

...etc. etc. etc.

Let's stop acting like 'Discord' is the end-all-be-all of communication lol sheesh

Once again: Discord is fine. I run 2 servers myself. No problem. The issue is: Why can't BioWare Devs interact more often here on their own official website? Even if it's like 51 posts here vs. 50 posts there on your coveted Discord, i'd be fine with that.

Or heck, how about a free-flowing Q&A livestream session every 3 months from their official Twitter account? (which could be re-posted here on the forums as a recorded read)

But i mean, loyal paying subscribers help fund this SWTOR website & forums, no? Therefore, do we not have the right to request more/greater communication here rather than there?

I really don't understand why all this is so hard to understand. :confused:

Edited by Nee-Elder
tone and words

@Nee-Elder

Chill. I’m not an owner, owner’s friend, mod, etc; I don’t even post on TC server, only read stuff I’m interested in, same as on these forums. I’m just a random user who stumbled across this thread and stated their opinion on the matter.

I do understand that players are upset about lack of communication from devs, and it’s enhanced with “I pay so I demand” mindset you often see here. There’s certainly space for improvement. That said, I personally don’t have a problem with this communication occurring not only on the forums but also on the platform many players use in addition to forums or instead of them. Heck, I like it since it's less formal and uptight, and also differs from livestreams with its pre-determined points of discussion. :)

“I pay so I demand” mindset you often see here.

So if you went in to a restaurant, and ordered a steak & veg, yet they came down with just veg, would you accept it? No, you'd ask for your steak, and if they continually kept bringing down more veg instead of your steak, you'd eventually demand it.

The problem here, is the same as the problem with the crafting. We all ordered the steak, yet some tables haven't gotten theirs, and while they are asking why, and giving out, the people who have gotten theirs are mocking them, and saying, we see no issue, we have our steak. In relation to this, the waiter instead of communicating with us, about why our steak hasn't arrived, is over at the other tables, with the people who've been fully fed, having a good laugh.

@Nee-Elder

Chill.

First off, i'm typing a few posts (when compelled) in between long fun sessions of playing this SWTOR game i enjoy, while kickin' my feet up pretending to be a digital JEDI. So just because i reply to your post, with conviction & comprehensiveness, doesn't mean that i'm "un-chill" or "attacking" you lol.

That being said....No. No i will not "chill" (on this topic) .

Thanks for the advice though. :cool:

---

I’m not an owner, owner’s friend, mod, etc;

Never said you were.

--

I don’t even post on TC server, only read stuff I’m interested in, same as on these forums.

Your 'post history' says different.

But no prob. ;)

---

I’m just a random user who stumbled across this thread and stated their opinion on the matter.

And i'm just a loyal subscriber since 2011 beta who rambled across this thread and stated their opinion(s) on the matter.

Does that make me "better" ? Heck no. But it does make me lean toward the OP's side of this debate. (which btw, again, is simply twofold: First, the impression/optics is bad. And second, why go there more often than here? I'ts not binary. BioWare can be present on 'Discord' AND avoid favoritism or the appearance therein. )

----

I do understand that players are upset about lack of communication from devs,

Certainly, but for me personally: I'm not "upset" . I'm perplexed. There's a difference, yeah?

Consequently, my posts, while passionate in tone, reflect the desire for more official information on the subject.

If i were umm "upset" ( internet buzz-word) at BioWare, i would've just rage-quit the game a lonnngggg time ago in a forum far far away. :ph_use_the_force:

---

and it’s enhanced with “I pay so I demand” mindset you often see here.

I personally try my best to request , rather than "demand" (another internet buzz word btw) .

However, and i know this is just oh so radical to say nowadays but: Paying subscribers on an official forum should be favored more often than randoms (your word you called yourself earlier) on a 3rd-party un-official platform.

Does that mean these forums wouldn't still do better with less entitlement and more appreciation? Of course it doesn't. But it's also a 2-way street (between company & customers) and imho it seems like 'KappaChris' changed lanes alltogether.

All i'm asking is: Come back and ride with us here in the forums-lane more often. Please?

---

There’s certainly space for improvement.

Agreed. From both ends.

--

That said, I personally don’t have a problem with this communication occurring not only on the forums but also on the platform many players use in addition to forums or instead of them.

So then you wouldn't mind if BioWare Devs joined a few other community Discords too, right?

What should their limit be? And how would they decide who's server to join & post and who's to avoid?

See how things could get a bit tricky and slippery slopey with this, yeah?

--

Heck, I like it since it's less formal and uptight,

You must have blinders on then, cuz i've seen plenty of uptight peeps in that vaunted Discord.

As for being "less formal" ... Well, let's just say as someone who has been on the other side (aka the Developer side) before, i believe greater formality is crucial toward establishing (or re-establishing) business integrity (and playerbase trust) .

--

and also differs from livestreams with its pre-determined points of discussion.

Which brings me back to my suggestion of having a quarterly 'livestream' Q&A session with the community, on SWTOR's official Twitter, with moderators to dispose of any obvious troll questions or otherwise disruptors.

Your input is heard in the forums, here, and everywhere else we read. We don't have the capacity to respond to every piece of feedback, nor is that reasonable. You are not owned a response. I appreciate all of you and the passion you share for the game or community, but it's important to point out the sense of entitlement that comes across sometimes can weaken your message, which generates worse results than you are trying to achieve.

think lots of people just need to read this, calm down and chill

if devs prefer to spend their free time on discord instead of the forums for casual and more relaxed conversations, perhaps instead of alienating the developers further with posts like, well the above one, you might wanna change the communication tone from toxic and entitled to something constructive and positive, then devs might want to use the forums more, I know I would

after all, what this thread is demanding is for the devs to spend their free time on a specific platform, instead of just wherever they want to, while in reality, the result might just be less communication in general, which, unless that is what you want, isn't great

Edited by RikuvonDrake

perhaps instead of alienating the developers further with posts like, well the above one,

That's interesting, since i'm hearing just the opposite from a great many people (including Devs) .

--

, what this thread is demanding is for the devs to spend their free time on a specific platform,

No one is "demanding" anything.

So just chill and re-read the posts without worrying so much about losing your access to BioWare.