Please make friend's list legacy based.

Cheesecakepirate

Why is this not linked by legacy, do you know how hard it is to add friends that you're in constant contact with on several different characters? It's very redundant, seems like a easy fix also as other things are legacy based already.

Agreed

No thank you.

1) There is no way to stop someone from putting you on their own friends list. This would be exploited so people know all of your alts.

2) There are times you just want to be left alone, even by those you consider friends, this would make it so they'd always know when your on.

This feature is best left out of swtor.

Yes please! When you find really nice person ingame and become friends it would be good feature to have. :)

I am sure this has been requested countless times before, but it would really improve and help playing with friends in this game!

However I think whole "friend list" system needs overhaul really hard!

- It should be lagacy based

- It should be friend request based, you will not automatically get to be someones friend, you have to get accepted by that player first:

* you send friend request and other player accepts it -> now you are friends

* if either one removes friend -> you both stop being friends

And on top of that could there maybe be "private mode" which could be toggled on before you log in with your character, this will show you in offline mode for all your friends if you don't wish to be seen for some reason :rak_02:

this game does not have the infrastructure to allow players to accept or decline friend requests, even per character.

without such a permission requirement in place, O.H.F.N. to any 'legacy friend system'

save that poodoo for 'social media' where it belongs, where (mostly) you at least have a legal recourse for creepers and stalkers and whatnot.

Edited by Kaveat

Why is this not linked by legacy, do you know how hard it is to add friends that you're in constant contact with on several different characters? It's very redundant, seems like a easy fix also as other things are legacy based already.

No. Toraak listed the reasons why not. If you want to find your friends when they are not on a character you know, friend them in discord and connect there.

No thank you.

1) There is no way to stop someone from putting you on their own friends list. This would be exploited so people know all of your alts.

2) There are times you just want to be left alone, even by those you consider friends, this would make it so they'd always know when your on.

If you want to be left alone you shouldn't have to play a special alt just to do that... If you need to do that already then the current system needs to be changed anyway. Perhaps add an option to appear "offline" on the friends list and make the "add friend" send a request to the player instead of being an automatic process. Or, make it an addition request you can send a player (like a party invite) where you can invite a friend to become "Legacy Friends" or some such.

This is an MMORPG where the thought is that you are playing online with others, you shouldn't hinder the implementation of making that aspect easier because you don't want the MMO part at "times"... Instead, the players should just be better protected from these kinds of practice. Perhaps make a system that allows you to "delete" yourself from someone else's friends list if they made you a friend of theirs unwillingly and constantly spam your characters.

Actually... the game already allows this... You can Ignore a player based on their legacy... So anyone that friends you that you don't want, just Ignore their Legacy.

This is an MMORPG where the thought is that you are playing online with others, you shouldn't hinder the implementation of making that aspect easier because you don't want the MMO part at "times"... Instead, the players should just be better protected from these kinds of practice. Perhaps make a system that allows you to "delete" yourself from someone else's friends list if they made you a friend of theirs unwillingly and constantly spam your characters.

An easy solution to this already in the game are the custom made channels you can create with friends and then join them with each character you want to. Works only on the current faction but makes it easy to keep in contact with friends playing an alt in different guilds for example and you can keep in touch with several people at once too, no need to /w back and forth with each of them.

this game does not have the infrastructure to allow players to accept or decline friend requests, even per character.

without such a permission requirement in place, O.H.F.N. to any 'legacy friend system'

That infrastructure should be created and added to this game, but before there is such legacy based friend lists would be kinda horrible idea.

Edited by Mignolite

No thank you.

How does my adding Friend X to my Character A's friend list and having that friend also show up on my Character B and Character C's friend lists in any way relate to your first point? This comes up every single time someone mentions legacy friends list. They automatically think that a legacy friends list would add a person's entire legacy to one's friends list, and that is not what is being asked. Can we please be clear on this. One friends list for all characters on the same legacy and faction is not the same thing as adding one person to a friends list and it adds their entire legacy to that friends list. That is not what is being asked for.

With regard to your second point, irrelevant. A person can already add a person to each of their character's friend lists. They just have to do it manually whereas a legacy friends list would make that automatic. A single friends list (technically two, one for each faction) that is used by all of your characters. Add someone to your friends list on Character A and that friend will also show on the friends list when viewed by Characters B. All that is being asked is for the process to be automatic.

I would like this added but only so long as comments are persistent across all characters. It would also be nice, although this could be noted in the comment, if there was a notation somewhere, such as a new column (preferably so you could sort) or in a tool tip on mouse over, that indicated which character added the person to the friends list. I may not want to let someone I grouped with on Character A know that Character B is my alt so being able to identify that I associated with this person on a specific character would be nice. But, again, that could be noted in the comment so long as the comments were persistent across all characters.

That infrastructure should be created and added to this game, but before there is such system legacy based friend lists would be kinda horrible idea.

Not at all. As someone else said. Do a Discord friend request of the individual, that is specifically set up for that, and even has options to let you know what games your friend is playing (if they have that turned on).

Devs should spend the time that they'd use for this into putting more content in the game instead.

How does my adding Friend X to my Character A's friend list and having that friend also show up on my Character B and Character C's friend lists in any way relate to your first point? This comes up every single time someone mentions legacy friends list. They automatically think that a legacy friends list would add a person's entire legacy to one's friends list, and that is not what is being asked. Can we please be clear on this. One friends list for all characters on the same legacy and faction is not the same thing as adding one person to a friends list and it adds their entire legacy to that friends list. That is not what is being asked for.

With regard to your second point, irrelevant. A person can already add a person to each of their character's friend lists. They just have to do it manually whereas a legacy friends list would make that automatic. A single friends list (technically two, one for each faction) that is used by all of your characters. Add someone to your friends list on Character A and that friend will also show on the friends list when viewed by Characters B. All that is being asked is for the process to be automatic.

I would like this added but only so long as comments are persistent across all characters. It would also be nice, although this could be noted in the comment, if there was a notation somewhere, such as a new column (preferably so you could sort) or in a tool tip on mouse over, that indicated which character added the person to the friends list. I may not want to let someone I grouped with on Character A know that Character B is my alt so being able to identify that I associated with this person on a specific character would be nice. But, again, that could be noted in the comment so long as the comments were persistent across all characters.

To your point. There are many times I want to just play the game Solo and not be disturbed. By having a legacy friends list anyone would know what character I'd be on. I make characters I don't tell others about when I want to just do solo activities, and don't want to be disturbed

To your point. There are many times I want to just play the game Solo and not be disturbed. By having a legacy friends list anyone would know what character I'd be on. I make characters I don't tell others about when I want to just do solo activities, and don't want to be disturbed

NO. THEY. WOULD. NOT.

This is not difficult to understand. If I add Toraak to my friends list on CeryxP, with a legacy friends list Toraak would also show on my friends list if I log to CeryxA, CeryxB, CeryxC, or any of my characters. If you are not logged on on your character Toraak then I do not know that you are on. If you are logged on to ToraakA and I do not have ToraakA on my friends list, but I do have Toraak on my friends list, I will not know that you are on unless I see that character in the /who list and make the assumption that that is also your character.

Having a legacy friends list would be no different than things are now except that we would not have to manually add a character, a character name that we already now and can already add to our friends list, to each of our individual character's friends lists.

Edited by ceryxp

NO. THEY. WOULD. NOT.

This is not difficult to understand. If I add Toraak to my friends list on CeryxP, with a legacy friends list Toraak would also show on my friends list if I log to CeryxA, CeryxB, CeryxC, or any of my characters. If you are not logged on on your character Toraak then I do not know that you are on. If you are logged on to ToraakA and I do not have ToraakA on my friends list, but I do have Toraak on my friends list, I will not know that you are on unless I see that character in the /who list and make the assumption that that is also your character.

Having a legacy friends list would be no different than things are now except that we would not have to manually add a character, a character name that we already now and can already add to our friends list, to each of our individual character's friends lists.

If your Legacy wide, then it would absolutely show your on, or why would it be legacy wide? That's not what is being asked for

Edited by Toraak

If your Legacy wide, then it would absolutely show your on, or why would it be legacy wide? That's not what is being asked for

Once again...

Your idea of a legacy friends list:

I add Toraak to my friends list and now I know all of Toraak's characters because Toraak's entire legacy was added to my friends list.

THIS. IS. NOT. WHAT. IS. BEING. ASKED. FOR. I do not know how else to make this clear to you and others.

Our idea of a legacy friends list. What is actually being asked for:

I add Toraak on my friends list on CeryxP. Now I log to CeryxA and when I look at my legacy friends list I see Toraak. I log to CeryxB and when I look at my legacy friends list I see Toraak. I lot to CeryxC...lather, rinse, and repeat how ever many times I want and all I see is Toraak on my friends list because I only added Toraak. None of Toraak's other characters appear on my friends list because I do not know their names and I did not add them. What is being asked for is a single friends list that is shared by all characters on the same faction in the same legacy. All of my Republic characters would have a single friends list and when I add a character I can log to another of my characters and still see the same friends list. Absolutely nothing about the person's legacy that I added would matter to my friends list unless they tell me their legacy name. Just like it is now.

The only thing that is being asked for in a legacy friends list is that all of our characters use the same list so that we do not have to manually add a character to each individual character's friends list one at a time.

I'm for it with some stipulations.

1. Ability to accept/decline

2. An option on the character select screen to login online/offline

3. An option to appear online/offline while in game.

Yes, the option to not appear online would be a welcome addition to this game. I play another game that allows you to set your character as anonymous so you do not appear in the /who list. In that game the anonymous setting persists through logouts, so that would meet your desire to log in as "offline." When you are set to anonymous you do not appear in the /who list, you do not appear as online on friends lists, but you do still show as online in guild rosters.

Edited by ceryxp

Once again...

Your idea of a legacy friends list:

I add Toraak to my friends list and now I know all of Toraak's characters because Toraak's entire legacy was added to my friends list.

THIS. IS. NOT. WHAT. IS. BEING. ASKED. FOR. I do not know how else to make this clear to you and others.

Our idea of a legacy friends list. What is actually being asked for:

I add Toraak on my friends list on CeryxP. Now I log to CeryxA and when I look at my legacy friends list I see Toraak. I log to CeryxB and when I look at my legacy friends list I see Toraak. I lot to CeryxC...lather, rinse, and repeat how ever many times I want and all I see is Toraak on my friends list because I only added Toraak. None of Toraak's other characters appear on my friends list because I do not know their names and I did not add them. What is being asked for is a single friends list that is shared by all characters on the same faction in the same legacy. All of my Republic characters would have a single friends list and when I add a character I can log to another of my characters and still see the same friends list. Absolutely nothing about the person's legacy that I added would matter to my friends list unless they tell me their legacy name. Just like it is now.

The only thing that is being asked for in a legacy friends list is that all of our characters use the same list so that we do not have to manually add a character to each individual character's friends list one at a time.

Yes, the option to not appear online would be a welcome addition to this game. I play another game that allows you to set your character as anonymous so you do not appear in the /who list. In that game the anonymous setting persists through logouts, so that would meet your desire to log in as "offline." When you are set to anonymous you do not appear in the /who list, you do not appear as online on friends lists, but you do still show as online in guild rosters.

This is what you may be asking for, but the OP hasn't said that at all. And to be blunt people that have been asking for Legacy friends lists for a very long time are not asking for it as you want it, but are asking for it the way a few of us a saying we don't want it for.

They are asking for a way to stay connected to the PLAYER, not the character, which would give access to all of your characters in your legacy.

Edited by Toraak

No thank you.

Agreed 100% !!!

Yes please! When you find really nice person ingame and become friends it would be good feature to have. :)

I am sure this has been requested countless times before, but it would really improve and help playing with friends in this game!

However I think whole "friend list" system needs overhaul really hard!

- It should be lagacy based

- It should be friend request based, you will not automatically get to be someones friend, you have to get accepted by that player first:

* you send friend request and other player accepts it -> now you are friends

* if either one removes friend -> you both stop being friends

And on top of that could there maybe be "private mode" which could be toggled on before you log in with your character, this will show you in offline mode for all your friends if you don't wish to be seen for some reason :rak_02:

What the OP wants is to be able to friend someone one time, and on ***HIS*** legacy, be able to see that one particular friended toon who matter who he logs onto.

I don't care about that.

I am absolutely against the idea of being friended by someone and suddenly every damn toon I log into that person knows about it. NO FREAKING THANK YOU I prefer my privacy.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Not at all. As someone else said. Do a Discord friend request of the individual, that is specifically set up for that, and even has options to let you know what games your friend is playing (if they have that turned on).

Devs should spend the time that they'd use for this into putting more content in the game instead.

Discord friend invites may be bit intrusive for some players, but I suppose if they decline that then we weren't actually good friends enough for discord friendship. :(

For Dev time I feel this game should get more devs in general to add more features and content into it, as in both this game is progressing slowly.

They are asking for a way to stay connected to the PLAYER, not the character, which would give access to all of your characters in your legacy.

Yes, that exactly what I am asking for, with ability to accept / decline :)

I'm for it with some stipulations.

1. Ability to accept/decline

2. An option on the character select screen to login online/offline

3. An option to appear online/offline while in game.

And this is exactly what I hope to get, but to be honest it might take really long time :rolleyes:

I am absolutely against the idea of being friended by someone and suddenly every damn toon I log into that person knows about it. NO FREAKING THANK YOU I prefer my privacy.

Well then you could simply decline that friend request instead of accepting it and not become friends with random stranger ;)

Edited by Mignolite

No thank you.

Me and many others shares this opinion. Unless the Dev make it so we can accept/decline request, legacy friend is bad idea.

This is what you may be asking for, but the OP hasn't said that at all. And to be blunt people that have been asking for Legacy friends lists for a very long time are not asking for it as you want it, but are asking for it the way a few of us a saying we don't want it for.

Did we read the same post because you clearly do not seem to understand the words that came out of Cheesecakepirate's fingers.

do you know how hard it is to add friends that you're in constant contact with on several different characters?

They are clearly asking for the same thing I described. They are clearly asking for a single, unified friends list for all characters on the player's legacy. Not for this imagined thing that no one has asked for that would give someone access to all of someone else's character names.

The thing that is being asked for, in this thread and in others, is a single friends list that is shared by all characters on a person's legacy, but every single time that suggestion comes up there are people who come into those threads and derail it with arguments against something that is not being asked for. We ask for X and invariably someone comes in and starts going on about Y. We explain that we do not want Y, we want X and X is not Y. Then those people just keep going on about how bad Y would be. And no matter how many times we say we do not want Y, that we agree that Y would be problematic, that we want X and that X is not Y and has nothing to do with Y, they just keep going on and on, further derailing the thread talking about Y.

A single friends list that is used by all characters on a person's legacy is not, in any way, shape, form, chemical composition, or atomic weight, the same thing as giving a person the names of all characters on another person's legacy simply by friending one of that person's characters. That is not what is being asked. The OP is clearly not asking for that. Other people, in this thread and elsewhere, have expressed a desire to have a single friends list that is used by all of their characters instead of the individual friends lists that we currently have, and yet the conversation keeps getting dragged back to Y because the naysayers can not be bothered to understand what is actually being requested.

If the option were added to be able to add a person's legacy to your friends list then absolutely that would require consent of the person being friended due to the privacy issues that have been brought up. That is not being contested. That is also not what is being requested.

Cery, Try adjusting your vocabulary to fit your audience, or at least to properly reflect the desired intent. As it stands, you are either being obtuse or trolling, and using 10,000 words where 100 will make the point:

UNIFIED Friends List

- a per character (target) friends list shared between that players characters on the same server ("Legacy")

Player A on character A1 friends player 2 on character 2C

when player A switches to A6, A6 friends list now includes 2C

when 2C logs out and goes to 2Y, 2Y is not "automatically" on A's friends list

not to be confused with the common vernacular of

LEGACY Friends List

- player 1 friends player 2 by 2's legacy ID, and now 1 can see every character 2 logs into (and possibly vice versa)

- - - - - - - - - -

And I get the distinction, but this would have been good way back before people started being alt-a-holics and social media junkies. Then this might have worked, and by today evolved into something easier to manage and more personal security acceptable.

Now, after multiple server merges and with all the alts floating around, not to mention the limits on friends /ignore lists, I still say stick to social media (and yes I include discord in that ongoing train wreck) in whatever form you choose to.

Edited by Kaveat

I think there's a huge confusion about what is meant by "legacy friends list". There are two versions of it, and there's also a third which is the two combined:

* "My whole legacy" == If my character Kylath adds your character Zombieslayer, that act adds Zombieslayer to all my characters' friend lists, so Tikreva'tarsil will also know (subject to some limitations about friending across faction boundaries).

* "Your whole legacy" == If my character Kylath friends your character Zombieslayer, it has the effect of friendlng your whole legacy (subject to the same limitations about cross-faction friending), but only for Kylath.

If they do both at once, as they recently did for ignores, I'd call that "Our whole legacies".(0)

A "My whole legacy" system is a convenience feature that allows me to see when Zombieslayer logs on and off no matter which of my characters I'm on, but doesn't reveal your character Slainzombie. Overall, it's of marginal usefulness.

A "Your whole legacy" system is also of marginal usefulness, since only Kylath knows when you do stuff.

An "Our whole legacies" system is more useful, but:

* It should probably be mutual(1) - that is, if my legacy friends your legacy, it implicity adds my legacy to your friend list

* If it isn't mutual, you should be able to see that I have friended you.(1)

* It should probably require the friended player to consent, *especially if it's mutual*.

* If I /ignore you later (or if you do it), it should cancel both directions of legacy-to-legacy friending.

* I should be able to log on in an "invisible" mode, where people who friended me don't see that I'm online.(2)(3)

(0) That's less clumsy than "My whole legacy and your whole legacy"

(1) In Guild Wars 2, it's not mutual, but there's a screen full of "followers", which are, I believe, people who've friended me.

(2) Option: have the same flag for your guild.

(3) Guild Wars 1 has this. I'm not sure where to find it for Guild Wars 2.

I don't trust Bioware to get any sort of consent system right, nor correctly redesigning the ignore ability to cancel any invites, and I don't trust Bioware not to confuse programming a legacy-wide friends list with a legacy-wide recognition list of another player.

There are too many points of failure in such a system for Bioware to get it right, and I prefer my privacy over any such convenience.