Overpriced items on the GTN

TriceraNL

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are all right to a certain extent.

A lot of it is mind set at the get go. If you think it’s too hard or complicated to learn to make credits, you don’t even try. It then becomes easier to come to the forums and complain about not having enough credits to afford stuff.

An example is my wife. She is a total noob when it comes to 90% of this game (especially credits). Without me holding her hand, she would be one of the people complaining about credits and many other things that most of us with a different mind set find a way to work with in the system. I’m 100% sure she wouldn’t play this game if I wasn’t here to support her.

She often complains to me how xyz thing in the game is unfair or this or that. And I have to explain it to her so she understands it’s part of the games design and then I have to help her learn how to do xyz. I have to admit I get extremely frustrated at her sometimes because she expects too much in this game to be handed to her on a plate. We are currently at odds over her in ability to bother to min max gear or make proper Armor sets after I’ve made cheat sheets and given her hundreds of millions of credits and augments and shown her repeatedly what to do.

When it comes to making credits, that’s my job for both of us because crafting properly to make credits is beyond her interest in the game. She has zero desire to learn. The only reason I’ve finally been able to get her to learn any crafting at all after 9 years is to help her get more Alts through conquest easier. Aka, making dark projects and invasion forces. But even that’s a chore to get her to prep for so at the moment it looks like it will be easier on my mental health if I just give her the war supplies already made.

Mind set and understanding concepts is everything when it comes to making credits. A little bit of greed helps too and anyone whose ever been in sales, retail or marketing in RL can use those skills to make even more credits.

I see so many people making stupid and dumb mistakes on the GTN, like over listing, which increases supply, which decreases the sell prices. If everyone who crafts listed 10-30 of the same thing every day, no one would make any credits in this game. Those guys will argue they sell way more of xyz than anyone else and have lots of credits. But I still sell exactly the same xyz item and make more from selling 1 than they make from selling 50. They spend all their game time farming to get the mats. Where as I spend 1/100th the time doing what they do and have many more credits and time to play the rest of the game.

I easily make 100-500 million a week from crafting and listing on the GTN (depending on if I login in enough to relist when it runs out or when it sells). I’m actually really lazy now compared to how hard I worked to make my first billion credits.

Like with everything in life, you need to be willing to learn something properly and then spend the time to do it. Nothing is handed to you free (unless you are my wife it seems ;)). You either spend real money to buy CC to convert credits or you work in the game to get the credits through the game mechanics.

I refuse to give Bioware anymore of my money besides the subscription because I don’t feel they reinvest enough of it in this game. So my only option if I want credits is to work for it in the game. Trust me when I say I find crafting and GTN trading as boring as many people do. I would rather be playing pvp, running pve content or doing other things besides crafting and GTN trading. But like everything, if you want nice things, you have to find away to earn them if you don’t have a sugar mummy or daddy to put a silver spoon in your mouth.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Solid points by DT and Trixx (sorry I didn't copy and past both quotes ... but there is a lot there !)

Add one more item to the list. Some of us (particularly players like me) are just plain cheap too !! We make less credits than what some folks might (not complaining at all ... I simply choose to invest less time in that area) ... BUT I also spend a lot less too ! Some would see that as being too cheap ... others might see that as being a tad wiser and yet others could care less.

Some folks spend the credits as fast as they can make it. Some will wait and buy things only when needed until they see something that they really want ... and THEN spend it. And there are some of us who are simply tightwads ! (you can kind of guess where I fit in) :D

It's how a person chooses to play the game ! ;)

I am one of these Story guys with no credits i am back in the game now after a very...long break and i sold a lightsaber that i buyed on the store in the past now on the market for like 500.000.000, i was so happy 😂

But i am also shocked about That some people are throwing with money like nothing. I feel rich now but i know for some of you i am still a poor peasent 😂

I think, if you are willing to pay the price. Then it must be legit

Edited by SeNeXo

QFT.

The is no working class, we're all the same here. All started with nothing, and can all build up to a fortune.

You can build a fortune through clever play, using cm items, or just even spending enough time on it.

Aimed at folks DT was responding to: Let's not bring real world politics into the game. Those who have the time and the inclination will do what they want to do in the game; some will play without amassing large credit balance, some will play and amass large credit balance. Next thing you know, there will be a Universal Basic Income scheme proposal here for SWTOR players who cannot or are not willing to "work.".

Edited by mike_carton

But it's a simple economics thing where anyone can become filthy rich but not everyone... Grinding away by itself only makes you rich when you spend a lot of time on it and don't spend a lot.
I have to disagree with the first sentence and agree with the second.

During the Swoop Race event, one could spend 27-30 minutes per character (for 9 races across 3 planets) to make between 600K-1000K. That's per character in 30 minutes. You could do that on all characters, every single day. The Heroics - which are not tied to any event - are also a great source of in-game credits.

The other thing: "don't spend a lot" This is true about everything. Even in real life. You earn as much as you want and can, and you spend first on what you need and then wisely on what you want. If you want money or credits, you have to earn them and then not spend them frivolously. "I want to have fun, do whatever I feel like doing, spend lavishly, and should still have countless riches without working at it" is not a workable attitude anywhere.

One last thing: Somebody working at earning for 5 years will likely have more in savings (and more in stuff) than someone working at it for 5 months.

Edited by mike_carton

My credits have all been gotten via selling the useless stuff you get in the process of cq capping 10- 20 toons per week.

This is true for a lot of players. Players who play for fun and see the accumulation of credits as a side effect. I cannot agree more with this approach or attitude to gaming. It is for fun. It is entertainment.

The only concern I have is that the 6.X gearing - for all its many improvements over previous versions - requires 1 million credits per gear piece (BW price which means they can reduce it directly). I wish it were not so; we did not need that. If you were to include the cost of augmenting with 228 augments (which are ideal for the scaled content which is most of the game), the total cost per character would be close to 20 million credits I think (haven't checked recently.) If one wanted to gear a character for Dxun or other unscaled content, the 286 augments and mk-11 kits would themselves cost around 100 million in addition to the cost of the gear pieces; these are GTN prices and BW has indirect control on them through underlying costs.

A small portion of an information-dense post, QFT:

It simply takes time, patience and even making mistakes (that happens to all of us).

It also depends upon how many credits you choose to spend. There are a number of way to earn enough for the basics. Making additional credits for BiS items is not as demanding as it use to be with the new system in place (which works well for alts).

The parenthetical note about gearing alts is a valuable hint for new players to explore. The main point about "BiS items ... not as demanding as it use to be with the new system in place" is also greatly appreciated by the vast majority of the playerbase that has suffered through the last several iterations of gearing.

What she said.

Like with everything in life, you need to be willing to learn something properly and then spend the time to do it. Nothing is handed to you free (unless you are my wife it seems ;))...But like everything, if you want nice things, you have to find away to earn them if you don’t have a sugar mummy or daddy to put a silver spoon in your mouth.

I'm sure you're getting a lot in return. I Hope. I'll leave it at that, to avoid crossing any lines. :-)

Edited by mike_carton

A small portion of an information-dense post, QFT:

The parenthetical note about gearing alts is a valuable hint for new players to explore. The main point about "BiS items ... not as demanding as it use to be with the new system in place" is also greatly appreciated by the vast majority of the playerbase that has suffered through the last several iterations of gearing.

Aint it the truth (particularly when seen in light of gearing up alts) !!!

If BW was serious about trying to get rid of credits, they would make us pay for our training, like we did at launch.

That is when inflation started to rise from what I remember is when they made it so training our abilities was free.

Edited by Toraak

Send me all your credits and I will form a team to look for a solution to this issue.

Seriously though, credits are easy to make regardless of what you do. If you are sub and just keep your sub current you will amass coins so when you do log in you can buy some pricey stuff or gamble on crates and either be broke and disappointed or a lucky winner of some hundred million credit items.

Grade 11 mats sell nicely on the gtn and those are on the ground. Literally, just a click away.

If it makes you feel any better once you do get all those riches, there is nothing to spend them on. When you get all the decos, mounts, etc, it gets boring. Nothing to do but do some random acts of kindness or to make even more credits. So there is a dark side so be careful of what you wish for/

I've been away a while, so coming back and finding items in the hundreds of millions... came as a bit of a rude shock. All my characters COMBINED might have around 12 million. There's absolutely no way I can afford much of ANYTHING on the GTN. It's a bit disheartening.

Add to that the limit on Preferred status players is ONE MILLION. That means they're not going to be able to afford anything but the lowest level, most basic gear or items. It's pretty sad, really.

I've been away a while, so coming back and finding items in the hundreds of millions... came as a bit of a rude shock. All my characters COMBINED might have around 12 million. There's absolutely no way I can afford much of ANYTHING on the GTN. It's a bit disheartening.

Add to that the limit on Preferred status players is ONE MILLION. That means they're not going to be able to afford anything but the lowest level, most basic gear or items. It's pretty sad, really.

You don’t need anything from the GTN to resume playing. It is not until you have your first full set bonus gear set (6 pieces) and an amplified champion piece (1) that you might need to buy from GTN (augmentation kits and augments.) But by then you’d have earned the money for those and for the gear pieces through gameplay. If you’re not interested in tougher group content like Ops or HM+ FPs, you don’t even need that set bonus gear or augments.

Bottomline: No money needed to resume playing. No GTN dependency.

I have to disagree. Not everyone has the real life money to spend in the CM. So that's not a choice for everyone.

And not everyone can do these things like playing the GTN. And you should be lucky because of everybody played the GTN you would not be able to make credits with that activity.

Now I don't care for the whining about it either. But it's a simple economics thing where anyone can become filthy rich but not everyone. That is a misunderstanding a lot of people seem to have. Grinding away by itself only makes you rich when you spend a lot of time on it and don't spend a lot. That's not the definition of fun for a lot of people but beyond that, the most profitable activities in game (which is not grinding anyway) only work as long as not too many people do that activity. It would create too much competition and then the supply side becomes too much and the prices go down. It's that simple. If everybody were to become crafters that sell their wares on the GTN, there would not be a demand (because they craft it themselves) and there would be a surplus on the supply side.

I can't make it more simple than that. And this is why I say that anyone can be rich but not everybody can, because there is a point where too many people participate on the supply side to make any real profits with it.

Largely thanks to the changes made to conquest last spring, amount of new credits created in to the game is just obscene when you compare it to what was before. For the most part, I think this ultimately helps the new player and/or kinda nerfs some long term goals from the new player: Rapidly bloating price tags are a thing only when it comes to player-to-player market. All client-side price tags (various legacy unlocks, Stronghold unlocks etc) remain the same year after year. From pov of a new player, getting your hands to this stuiff by selling crafting mats, for example, is much easier and faster now. So much credits are nw being created and moved around that any new player interested in getting enough of therm to unlock some perks and SHs will get there pretty fast.

People who get hurt the most are folks who like gathering billions of credits and enjoy sitting on them. For these folks, something like 5-10 bils is so much less now than it used to be like 1-2 years back. At least if you measure the strength of your credit pile via cartel junk it'd buy..Which I think is a pretty reasonable thing to do.

Edited by Stradlin