Quick Play issue workarounds

CommunityTeam

Uninstall... Reinstall... How simple can it get ... I mean really.

I have to point out uninstall and reinstall is a very big thing if you have a slow internet connection

Have to redownload entire game this is ridiculous!!!

I've lost many hours of gameplay since the patch 6.2 drama started and it's a very unpleasant situation.

I completely understand, and can commiserate*, but unless and until you remove BitRaider and switch to the non-streaming client you will always be subject to the numerous problems that plague BitRaider. Not just the quick play issue, which has been going on for quite a bit longer than this last update, but also compatibility issues, patching issues, unexplained error messages (C7, C5, unidentified error errors), etc. The problem is that BitRaider is rubbish. If you want to be free of the problems that it introduces you have to remove it, and there are only two ways to do that.

You can do as CommunityTeam suggested and uninstall / reinstall the game, or you can follow the link I posted above to the instructions on how to disable BitRaider and switch to the non-steaming client. If you uninstall and reinstall it means a full, fresh download of the game. If you retain your current install and switch to the non-streaming client you do have to download a large number of assets, but it is not a complete download of the game (just pretty close).

Here again is the link for the instructions to switch to the non-streaming client.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/Guide-How-to-Switch-to-Non-Streaming-Launcher/m-p/4867417#M27

Of course, you can do whatever you like. You can uninstall the game and reinstall (the current installer defaults to the non-streaming client). You can keep your current install and switch to the non-streaming client. Either way does involve a substantial download of game assets. Or you can wait for them to fix it. The problem is that BitRaider is rubbish, people have had issues with it for years, and the problems will never fully go away so long as you use it. Of course, you could also quit like some have claimed they will do as they are tired of the issues, and I can not really blame them for being frustrated. But the reality is that this is the fix. Get rid of BitRaider. Unfortunately, to do that you will have a large download.

* When I switched from the streaming, BitRaider client to the non-streaming client it was at a time when I was having a number of issues with my ISP that would regularly trigger one of the numerous issues with BitRaider, so my download took over nine hours.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Respectfully, the suggestion to uninstall and reinstall the game is unnecessary as there are already steps to switch off BitRaider, and doing so preserves all game and UI settings. BitRaider is the problem and deactivating it is the only real solution.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/Guide-How-to-Switch-to-Non-Streaming-Launcher/m-p/4867417#M27

So the instructions are as follows:

proxos666

Source here (my original thread in swtor forums)

NOTE: This is almost a new game download

Ensure the Launcher is NOT running

right mouse click on game shortcut and select open file location

open the launcher.settings file in notepad and locate the below line

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"BR\" }"

Change to:

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"

and

,"bitraider_disable": false

Change to:

, "bitraider_disable": true

SAVE the changes.

Delete the BitRaider folder then start the launcher

if you have the old version still on another computer , copy all the game folders over to this computer

Note: If you have converted to non-streaming but still seeing the quick play mode UI when you're in-game, just delete the BitRaider folder again and that should do it.

Since we are deisablign bitraider, what about this setting:

, "bitraider_download_complete":

{ "swtor": true

}

Anyone know if that needs to change as well?

Also, Ive seen a number of posts about the line bitraider_disable and that the value needs to be in quotes, i.e.:

, "bitraider_disable": "true"

Can anyone from EA comment?

I appreciate the information on how to disable Bitraider. I haven't had a stuck in Quick-play mode problem ever. Even after I patched the recent 6.2 and 6.2a patches. But for some reason, today I am stuck in quick-play mode. Since my playing time is limited every day I am choosing to delete the bitraider folder and see if that fixes it for today. If it does I will do the change download away from bitraider tonight while I sleep. If it doesn't I guess I'll have no choice but to do it today which would really REALLY suck as it would ruin my day of playing today.

But again I appreciate the information.

UPDATE: Deleting the Bitraider folder worked for today. I will disable the Bitraider tonight while I sleep so I don't have to deal with the long download. Thanx again!

Edited by Hollow_Stone
Update

So the instructions are as follows:

Since we are deisablign bitraider, what about this setting:

}

Anyone know if that needs to change as well?

Also, Ive seen a number of posts about the line bitraider_disable and that the value needs to be in quotes, i.e.:

, "bitraider_disable": "true"

Can anyone from EA comment?

You do not need to change anything else and it does not need to be in quotes. For reference, here are how those lines look in my launcher.settings file on my install that I switched from streaming to non-streaming. That install has the PTS enabled, which is why there is that extra bit about publictest (ignore that part).

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\", \"publictest\": \"SSN\" }"
 }
, "log_levels": "INFO,SSNFO,ERROR"
, "bitraider_disable": true

Edited by ceryxp

Deleting bitraider folder is only a temporary solution. Eventually it stops working.

Here's the solution I used about a week ago (since I had this problem already before this update and send many bug reports about it) that has worked for me:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9886924

this worked... thanks for posting facts

• Dev Post

Hi folks,

Here is a new workaround to fix the Quick Play issue without re-downloading the whole game:

If you’re stuck at the Select Character screen with the Quick Play message (upper right) follow those instructions:

1. Open a new Launcher (do not close the game, keep it on the Select Character screen).
  2. Log in, but DO NOT PRESS PLAY ON THE LAUNCHER.
  3. Come back to the first window with the Select Character screen, you will notice that the Quick Play message is no longer visible.
    • If the Character Play buttons are still greyed out: Open the Select Server window with the Server Selection button (bottom left) and select any server (including the one you’re already “on”).

[*]You should now be able to choose your character.

Note: You will need to follow these steps each time you launch the game.

This workaround was also added in the OP of this thread: Quick Play issue workarounds.

Edited by CommunityTeam

Hi folks,

Here is a new workaround to fix the Quick Play issue without re-downloading the whole game:

If you’re stuck at the Select Character screen with the Quick Play message (upper right) follow those instructions:

1. Open a new Launcher (do not close the game, keep it on the Select Character screen).
  2. Log in, but DO NOT PRESS PLAY ON THE LAUNCHER.
  3. Come back to the first window with the Select Character screen, you will notice that the Quick Play message is no longer visible.
    • If the Character Play buttons are still greyed out: Open the Select Server window with the Server Selection button (bottom left) and select any server (including the one you’re already “on”).

[*]You should now be able to choose your character.

Note: You will need to follow these steps each time you launch the game.

This workaround was also added in the OP of this thread: Quick Play issue workarounds.

Just ran into an issue with this (currently in game with this work around)

I went to Launch 'Spirit of Vengeance' and it says "You are not able to travel while BitRaider is active"

So it won't let me in as it sits now... :|

I am also having issues with my account where I'm having the Quick Play problem. Every single one of my characters is above starting planet. They're all level 30 or above, my mains are all level 70+. I'm a subscriber, SWTOR is one of my forms of self-care.

Devs, I know you all are working hard to resolve this. I appreciate your hard work. (Sincerely and deeply grateful for your hard work!!!)

Please, for the love of the Force, consider alternatives to BitRaider.

I know this might seem like a Troll Post, but stop going through the patch tool altogether and use the Steam Client, not only do you get cool cheevo, no longer do you have to sit back and wait for the game to patch anymore, its ready to go on launch day with no delays!

So this has been an issue for over a week and there is no patch. You expect us, the paying customers, to work around your coding mistakes.

Really?

Been around since the first round of public testing and this is not acceptable. If you guys do not care about the game anymore, then shut it down.

Edited by SithScorp

Deleting bitraider folder is only a temporary solution. Eventually it stops working.

Here's the solution I used about a week ago (since I had this problem already before this update and send many bug reports about it) that has worked for me:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9886924

This is the 3rd 'work around' I've tried, I think lol, it's causes a two hour+ "download" however the past couple of days my client has stayed functional and workable and I'm able to access everything in game *knocks on wood*.

No idea how or how it works because i was hoping for a fix from the game and not fool with code i didn't understand but *waves hands*

note: you will need to follow these steps each time you launch the game.

or, just follow the steps to nuke Bitraider as many have been doing since 2011 and never had a patching issue since:

Reddit: Guide to permanently removing Bitraider and fixing unexpected patching errors.

Con: you have to re-download the game

Pro: you do not have to do any funky hokey-pokey chicken dance to get the game to work

Edited by Kaveat

Bumping this thread as there is an update from the team. Please see the first post's newest edit/update.

Please do not just update old posts and bump them. Instead put the crucial info in a new post, e. g. in your above reply which I quoted.

The reason for that is that updated older posts don't show up on top of the Dev Tracker, but this is where many players get the latest update from. I just wanted to start a thread in general forum why my launcher downloaded a patch today, because I didn't see any info from today (or anywhere on the first page) in the dev tracker about a patch. Then I read your message and eventually found the info.

Thanks for keeping the dev tracker up-to-date. I appreciate it.

Please do not just update old posts and bump them. Instead put the crucial info in a new post, e. g. in your above reply which I quoted.

The reason for that is that updated older posts don't show up on top of the Dev Tracker [...]

Actually, her posting that "Bump" reply showed up on top of Dev Tracker. This is how I (and probably you) got here.

Following that, I understand that when she recommends to read the first post, I need to read the first post to see the updated solution.

Besides, too many people just don't make the effort to search for existing post (even when they are stickied like this one) and will continue to create new thread on the exact same subject. So, good intention from both you and Jackie, but people's lazyness and lack of knowledge of how a forum works in general, and this one in particular (I bet less than 25% of players are aware of the Dev Tracker thread), I'm pretty sure that we will see new threads on the same subject again and again, until the issue is fixed.

Hi folks,

Update (12/21/20)

A patch has been deployed to resolve the Quick Play issue. Players currently in-game should not be impacted. BitRaider players will be prompted to download the patch before logging in.

If you continue to experience issues, please contact us.

I already did the workaround that turned off Bitraider last week. Why am I having to download this patch if I no longer use Bitraider.

Correction:

Because of the tracker, Dev's should post relevant info as a reply for the tracker AND update the OP for those looking for the first time

I already did the workaround that turned off Bitraider last week. Why am I having to download this patch if I no longer use Bitraider.

if you already nuked bitraider, that part of the update does not apply to you

Edited by Kaveat

Right but it made me download it anyway. I did nuke Bitraider last week but it still had me update today.

everyone had an update, and not all updates have notes. would be nice, but then so would a lot of other things if we are going down that road...

Edited by Kaveat