Stuck in "quick play mode" after patch. Download done, but I can't play my characters

Pricia

FIX: Change Compatibility mode of game launcher to WIndows XP SP3 and it is working now.

Seems it is compatibility problem of patch with Windows 10. Maybe that will help Devs to find problem?

I have the bug too. This fixed it, but I also lost all my UI customizations, keybinding imports and preferences, which really sucks.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post

Hi folks,

Update (12/18/2020) - This workaround is at the top for more visibility

Hi folks, here is a new workaround to fix the Quick Play issue without re-downloading the whole game:

If you’re stuck at the Select Character screen with the Quick Play message (upper right) follow those instructions:

1. Open a new Launcher (do not close the game, keep it on the Select Character screen).
  2. Log in, but DO NOT PRESS PLAY ON THE LAUNCHER.
  3. Come back to the first window with the Select Character screen[/b], you will notice that the Quick Play message is no longer visible.
    If the Character Play buttons are still greyed out: Open the Select Server window with the Server Selection button (bottom left) and select any server (including the one you’re already “on”).
  4. You should now be able to choose your character.

Note: You will need to follow these steps each time you launch the game.

--

As mentioned above, our team is currently looking into it. In the meantime, here are a few potential workarounds which helped other players resolve the issue.

• Launch the game as an admin: Right Click > Run as administrator
  • Perform a bitraider repair:
    1. Open your SW:TOR game folder.
      • 32-bit Windows - C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\
      • 64-bit Windows - C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\

[*]Click on the bitraider folder and press Delete.

[*]Start the launcher again and log in.

[*]Wait for the launcher to repair itself and update your game.

[*]Use the repair tool: SW:TOR launcher troubleshooting guide

[*]Change the compatibility mode: Desktop Icon > Properties > Compatibility > Run in Compatibility mode: Change from Windows 10 to XP SP 3

--

Update (12/15/2020):

If the above suggestions aren't helping, there is one final step which will 100% resolve the issue, but it requires you to redownload the game. It is important that you follow the below steps exactly to properly update your launcher version.

1. Uninstall the game from your computer:
    • Here are the steps for Windows 10:
      • Select Start and look for Star Wars The Old Republic in the list shown (you can also search for it).
      • Right-click on Star Wars The Old Republic and choose Uninstall. It will open the Uninstall and change a program window.
      • Scroll-down to Star Wars The Old Republic and right-click on it, and choose uninstall.

[*]Here are the steps for Windows 8:

• Right-click on the Start button in the lower-left corner and select “Programs and features”.
  • Scroll-down to Star Wars The Old Republic and select it.
  • Click on uninstall at the top of the list.

[*]Re-download the launcher from this link: SWTOR Launcher or from our website swtor.com (on the right of the page, you will be able to download the Game Installer).

[*]Log into the launcher and start to download the game.

Please keep giving us your feedback.

Thank you for your patience while we get this issue resolved.

Edited by CommunityTeam

Hi folks,

As mentioned above, our team is currently looking into it. In the meantime, here are a few potential workarounds which helped other players resolve the issue.

• Perform a bitraider repair: Click on the cogwheel on the Launcher > Click the Repair button on the Settings screen.
  • Use the repair tool: SW:TOR launcher troubleshooting guide
  • Change the compatibility mode: Desktop Icon > Properties > Compatibility > Run in Compatibility mode: Change from Windows 10 to XP SP 3

• Perform a bitraider repair ... this option is grayed out == disabled
  • Use the repair tool ... changes nothing
  • Change the compatibility mode ... will try that as a workaround

What the title says. I patched, and I'm at character selection and my characters are available because the game is "downloading" but the bar is stuck on 0.00%.

I tried a few things and found that setting Compatibility Mode to WinXP SP3 worked finally. Yay! I got my daily log in reward!

The compatibility change fixed it for me. I also did not lose my UI or presets as someone mentioned earlier, so that's good.

The bigger issue is...why has this happened with every Onslaught release? Why do we need to change compatibility? Shouldn't it just "work"? This is the first time it happened to me. The last number of major releases had this issue hitting portions of players. Each time I looked at the Bug report and saw this same thing, then opened my game, and all was well. Not me this time. Well now it is me. So for a good few months, this has happened consistently.

Why?

The compatibility change fixed it for me. I also did not lose my UI or presets as someone mentioned earlier, so that's good.

The bigger issue is...why has this happened with every Onslaught release? Why do we need to change compatibility? Shouldn't it just "work"? This is the first time it happened to me. The last number of major releases had this issue hitting portions of players. Each time I looked at the Bug report and saw this same thing, then opened my game, and all was well. Not me this time. Well now it is me. So for a good few months, this has happened consistently.

Why?

Same... also wondering what the commonality is that it's hit certain people and not others.

Hi folks,

• Perform a bitraider repair:
    1. Open your SW:TOR game folder.
      • 32-bit Windows - C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\
      • 64-bit Windows - C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\

[*]Click on the bitraider folder and press Delete.

[*]Start the launcher again and log in.

[*]Wait for the launcher to repair itself and update your game.

[*]Use the repair tool: SW:TOR launcher troubleshooting guide

[*]Change the compatibility mode: Desktop Icon > Properties > Compatibility > Run in Compatibility mode: Change from Windows 10 to XP SP 3

How about offering a REAL fix or recommendation. Most who have have posted about running in compatibility mode are posting it causes flicking and other poor quality when they do so - not a real option. Offering someone an option of basically reinstalling the entire game (bitraider delete) because of a crappy job doing a patch is not a real option - its more like "Hey, we cant do our job but white we pull our heads out of it here is how you can do our job for us."

How about offering a REAL fix or recommendation. Most who have have posted about running in compatibility mode are posting it causes flicking and other poor quality when they do so - not a real option. Offering someone an option of basically reinstalling the entire game (bitraider delete) because of a crappy job doing a patch is not a real option - its more like "Hey, we cant do our job but white we pull our heads out of it here is how you can do our job for us."

if there is flickering in textures from high to low use https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/Guide-Texture-Flickering-High-to-Low/td-p/4867480/jump-to/first-unread-message

to remove the need altogether of using a compat for xp sp 3 for the quick play issue

option 1 is install as non streaming per https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/Guide-Texture-Flickering-High-to-Low/td-p/4867480/jump-to/first-unread-message

option 2 is install through steam

Your link is the same so this is not correct

However, can confirm that fixing the launcher file downloaded everything, and now everything works with no compatibility issues, and no flicker

I did the compatibility change and it worked but I have no sound. Eh I can play the game that all that matters for now. The sound will most likely fix itself later.

I have this issue as well, did the compatibility change and now no sound...I have sound in the launcher and if i play a cinematic from the character loading screen but no music at the character screen or any sound ingame.

I will be very honest in that I don't like messing with code when I have no idea what I'm actually doing.

(I just want to launch and play :( )

I've never linked my swtor to steam because of reasons and I'd rather not be forced to.

If they can break code with an update they can fix it with a patch so I'm hoping that is what they do instead of making us rely on "work arounds"

(edit update) I just was made aware i have the 'st' in the bottom left of my launcher...is this the commonality?)

Edited by YaddleTwo

I tried to repair and now the client will not even load.

UPDATE: I reran the installer and now it briefly flashes a blank installer. (No names o\r information) before installing the service is down.

UPDATE 2: Re-downloaded a fresh installer ,.. repairing 14 files. Not sure if it will fix the problem.

Edited by kimiko_tomiyama

Stuck in quick-play mode.

But after the patch yesterday I played without problems.

:-(

Seriously:

The quality control is a desaster!

Not only the long list of bugs but also the long list of people now cut off from the game they pay for.

How this shoddy work could have gone online instead of making another week of checks is beyond me...

Edited by ARFett

I am late to the party, but I am stuck in quick play mode. I even tried to use the "repair" option in the settings. However, it doesn't light up for me to use the option. Not sure what I can do at this point. Has there been any resolution to the situation? Thanks!