SWTOR community: What happened?

DaZeeZee

There is no rational explaination for your story outside "I made it up"

I have as much right to say that to YOU as you have to say that to poster who had a bad experience in your favourite game.

I pug a fair bit, and yes you will meet some players with bad attitudes. They are hardly the majority though. If you think that good, decent players are such a small minority in swtor then either you have had a very bad string of bad luck ....

or you need to look at your own actions in game.

I have seen players rage quit a flashpoint when after a wipe they are (politely) asked if they've done the fp before. It's a fair question to ask, especially if someone was ignoring mechanics. Odds are the rage quitter thought they had been attacked by they other player. Things look different depending on the viewpoint.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Griefing doesn't address gen chat. I will hop onto one of my guild leader toons to pre-ban people who are vomiting at the mouth juvenile, racist, and vile messaging in gen chat. The toxicity comes at us from all corners.

That is the result of a lack of moderation of chat.

Anonymity is a good thing. Nobody would even touch online gaming if everyone knew all about you in real life.

However, no good thing is immune from abuse, especially by corrupt toxic people who never had decent parenting or education, all too common these days.

Parenting and education are only facets of the problem. Children don't have to listen to their parents once they become adults, nor do they have to do everything they were taught in school once they leave it. The problem is systemic. Society rewards liars, cheaters, bullies, and the loudest voice in the room that refuses to play with others, so it's no wonder why parenting and education fail when children see that this is how you get ahead in society.

Society rewards liars, cheaters, bullies, and the loudest voice in the room that refuses to play with others,

The game rewards that with repeated wipes in easy vet flashpoints, and then those same idiots loudly blame everyone but the culprits.

I feel like maybe I'm not playing the same game as most of the other posters here. Granted I don't do FPs every single day or multiple times per day but in the span of 7 years, I've rarely had a negative experience. Think there's been one where the tank threw a tantrum because others didn't spacebar, and one where a DPS left because they felt the healer wasn't doing their job. Every other one I've been in has been wonderful.

In fact, I began pre-emptively space-barring to avoid frustration from other players but each time found myself waiting because everyone else is taking their time watching the scenes. Which is great. Flashpoints I hadn't done before, I'd tell the group at the start and I'd be met with "That's fine!" and receive an explanation for each fight. I had a character who was wearing the wrong gear/stats for her discipline and one of the group members whispered me about it, stating they didn't wish to upset me or cause offense but that I might perform better and die less if... then recommended a guide which really helped.

Maybe I'm just really lucky, maybe I'm more inclined to remember the good vs. the bad, but I haven't had any horrific or super toxic experiences at all. Well, either that or maybe from my years of playing WoW I've grown a thick skin and a filter to the point toxic behavior doesn't faze me one bit lol.

The only toxicity I've ever noticed has been PvPers raging during a Warzone about no one knowing what to do (which I run into in every MMO so what else is new), and Dromund Kaas chat is a different world altogether but I barely pay attention to that.

And in the past days, General chat on both the fleet and planets has been so active and friendly. Lot of newcomers asking questions and getting genuine answers and advice from veteran players instead of being insulted and mocked. That's actually blown me away.

Anyway, my mostly positive experience aside, I do wish the adding of friends and ignoring of players was an account-wide deal. It just makes more sense to me. I've been adding a lot of folks in the past few days to help them figure everything out but they can only reach me if I happen to be logged in on that specific toon which is a shame.

I feel like maybe I'm not playing the same game as most of the other posters here. Granted I don't do FPs every single day or multiple times per day but in the span of 7 years, I've rarely had a negative experience. Think there's been one where the tank threw a tantrum because others didn't spacebar, and one where a DPS left because they felt the healer wasn't doing their job. Every other one I've been in has been wonderful.

Most of the time you can avoid the bad players, especially if you are a solo player. Most of the negativity I see is in places like DK, fleet, in the general chat, but it's gotten to a point where I don't even notice it. As for FP's, like yourself, I just go in, space bar, and do my job, with a little hello, and idle chatter, depending on the people. If stuff goes down, I tend to let the people involved sort it out themselves, but it rarely happens.

Something which we have been asking for, it seems like a decade, ignore by legacy not character would assist in never seeing these wa888rs again, b/c not often does some one have their polite toons and their toxic toons

Something which we have been asking for, it seems like a decade, ignore by legacy not character would assist in never seeing these ********

I used to think this would cause issues, but the last couple of years have shown that it is needed.

b/c not often does some one have their polite toons and their toxic toons

Actually, I'd say most, if not all have polite toons. It would be a very small % who'd come to the game to merely troll.

But to be honest, if anyone on my friends list dissapeared because I've ignored one of their other toons for that, I wouldn't miss them

Edited by DarkAnnmarie

• 2 weeks later...
Some not nice stuff that might get you banned, and me if I repost it. /snip.

She* didn't say anything about rp'r, or what they do/don't do in OOC, and anything they do do, in a not so nice way, is usually in char, in say. These toxic people use gen chat. What she was saying was that these trolls also have 'normal' chars, who talk nice, etc on fleet.

As for groups, you'll always get bad people blaming others when they mess up, it doesn't mean you'll always get bad groups. I've runmany groups and had no issues. But then again, I'm a laid back person, and don't attack everyone without provocation. There are many here, who commented here, and other posts that have experienced friendly groups, etc.

* Don't know if the user is female, just used she, as annmarie is a female name (if your male, please don't be insulted :) )

Edited by DarkTergon

Also I got insulted by a 6 year old basement dweller today for being a "Bad tank" lol. I have years of savage raid tank experience in content that would make the top nightmare ops people cry for mommy.

Experience in another game is not the same as experience in swtor. I have run with a depressingly high number of tanks in MM who have zero clue how to keep mob aggro; they just keep whining about their mass taunt being off cooldown.

I am NOT saying you are a bad tank, you could be fantastic. Bad dps are prone to blaming the tank or healer whenever things go wrong.

I'm just saying that being a great player in [ your favorite mmo that is not swtor ] does not mean you will instantly be great at swtor.