(Unofficial) WARNING - SPOILERS ALLOWED - Talk about Onslaught story thread - SPOILER

ZionHalcyon

I think Aygo is a good pick! I like still having him in the Alliance, but he's definitely a top candidate.

I think that your criteria rule out several qualified people. Nadia is a jedi, but would be great senator. She's the daughter of a senator and picked up diplomacy experience with the consular too. Nadia is not necessarily a practical choice in terms of the game, though, since at least currently she's only available to the consular.

I think ultimately my top pick would be Elara Dorne. She has an Imperial background, but she's now a Republic citizen and has proven her loyalty to the Republic many times more than most people born in the Republic. In her role as liaison between Jace Malcom and the Alliance, she has some diplomatic experience. At the same time, her extensive military experience should make her able to bridge the gap between the military and diplomatic "worlds." Moreover, and perhaps most importantly, her Imperial background actually (in my opinion) makes her the best person to represent members of the Alliance of either background. She chose the Republic, but she understands the Empire. She's evidence that the Republic has a place for people who came from the Empire. And not just a place... by the way she upholds Republic ideals, she shows that actually anyone from the Empire can seize this opportunity to not just turn over a new leaf but become an exemplar of the Republic.

Elara for Senator! :D

I had not considered her, but yeah, she seems like a good choice. Would she want that job though ?

IMO... If cardboard character has anything to do with it... Elara's a shoe-in ! (sorry .. she just strikes me as too stiff for that job)

IMO... top picks (in no particular order) would be:

1. Shana-Rae

2. I would say Theron .. ( frankly he knows how to deal with bureaucrats … but I don't think that he'd take the job !

3. Aygo .. maybe

4. Aric Jorgan (same reason as Theron )

5. Senya ( but too many killed her off.. I chose not to ! IMO.. she's seen a lot and knows how to avoid the pitfalls of the past. )

6. Lana : Unquestionably the most loyal of all companions. I believe that could not only do the work... but loyal at all costs !

TOP picks out of this list: (in order)

1. Aric Jorgan

2. Admiral Aygo

3. Lana

4. Shana-Rae

5 Theron ( still don't know if he would be interested)

6. Senya

TOP 3 ?? Kind of tougher choice:

1. Aric Jorgan

2. Admiral Aygo

3. Lana / Theron / Shana-Rae

What ?? .. sorry I could NOT make up my mind on that 3rd spot !

:D

Edited by OlBuzzard

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Theron would be interested by the job of Senator.

I'm pretty sure he's really not into office work and during Onslaught when complaining that Lana and him are not invited for the meeting before the Corelia FP, if we say that we'll arrange for them to be included in the future as they are our most trustworthy advisors, he says something along the lines of not being particularly interested in lenghty meetings (don't have the exact wording as i play in french though)

I don't think Theron would be interested by the job of Senator.

I'm pretty sure he's really not into office work and during Onslaught when complaining that Lana and him are not invited for the meeting before the Corelia FP, if we say that we'll arrange for them to be included in the future as they are our most trustworthy advisors, he says something along the lines of not being particularly interested in lenghty meetings (don't have the exact wording as i play in french though)

I agree... and what's funny … for the same reasoning ! Just not his style !

He would be more into "aggressive negotiations" !! :D

BTW... you translation into another language is pretty darn spot on !

I agree... and what's funny … for the same reasoning ! Just not his style !

He would be more into "aggressive negotiations" !! :D

BTW... you translation into another language is pretty darn spot on !

Yep

Well yeah i think that would be his style

Oh, thanks :D

There was a time i wanted to work as a translator, but then i realised that being locked in an office all day long was really not for me. Now i'm outside most of the day, and it suits me more.

I guess that's something i have in common with Theron. xD

Ah, glad I'm not the only one. :D I think it is tough in the sense that Elara genuinely does bring a lot to the table, but I just don't think she's ready yet, at that point, over and above Jorgan. A few more years' experience and maybe all my troopers would pick her, in spite of being total Jorgan fans. :)

Excuse me editing my post after you read it, btw, I just had to find the Bujold quote and put it in. :o Anyone reading this who hasn't read her stuff, do check her out, she's an incredible writer.

I always feel like I HAVE to promote Jorgan, he got demoted on Ord Mantell just so high command could save face and you can tell how much that gets to him, his career advancement and rank seems a lot more important to him (at least explicitly) than Elara's does to her, she seems happy to simply be accepted in the military rather than worrying about promotion

Edited by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I always feel like I HAVE to promote Jorgan, he got demoted on Ord Mantell just so high command could save face and you can tell how much that gets to him

This is also one of the reasons i always promote him over Dorne, it just feels like giving him back what was taken away as a punishment while he did nothing wrong on Ord Mantell.

I always feel like I HAVE to promote Jorgan, he got demoted on Ord Mantell just so high command could save face and you can tell how much that gets to him, his career advancement and rank seems a lot more important to him (at least explicitly) than Elara's does to her, she seems happy to simply be accepted in the military rather than worrying about promotion

Definitely. Like I can see Elara being fine with not being promoted on that occasion, but (from taking the other option during cutscene before esc'ing out) Jorgan seems quite annoyed not to be promoted. I think his feelings are totally legit. I agree with you that his previous rank was taken away unfairly. (It's kinda funny that the PC ended up being promoted at the same time he was demoted, sorta makes it doubly unfair.) Putting him back at his original rank is very much deserved.

Still Elara for senator though! I think she's much more suited for that role than Jorgan.

Definitely. Like I can see Elara being fine with not being promoted on that occasion, but (from taking the other option during cutscene before esc'ing out) Jorgan seems quite annoyed not to be promoted. I think his feelings are totally legit. I agree with you that his previous rank was taken away unfairly. (It's kinda funny that the PC ended up being promoted at the same time he was demoted, sorta makes it doubly unfair.) Putting him back at his original rank is very much deserved.

Still Elara for senator though! I think she's much more suited for that role than Jorgan.

My meaning exactly, Jorgan is so much more disappointed if he gets passed over. And yeah, Elara is still definitely a better Senator choice by miles. Jorgan just isn't diplomatic enough, ESPECIALLY since KOTFE, part of him honestly seems to hate the Republic at this point, Senators most of all (obviously not as much as he hates the Empire, but still). Hard to believe he'd want to become one lol

Is there more?

Not yet.

My meaning exactly, Jorgan is so much more disappointed if he gets passed over. And yeah, Elara is still definitely a better Senator choice by miles. Jorgan just isn't diplomatic enough, ESPECIALLY since KOTFE, part of him honestly seems to hate the Republic at this point, Senators most of all (obviously not as much as he hates the Empire, but still). Hard to believe he'd want to become one lol

Yeah, this is a feeling I've had too. I don't think Jorgan actually hates the Republic (hence him refusing to fight the Republic if you're playing an Imperial Commander). But he certainly seems really disillusioned with Republic leadership as a whole. I don't think he's the kind of person whose disgust would lead him to try to become a Republic leader to fix things from the inside. As we see with him going rogue, he's much more about making an impact from the outside.

Edited by Estelindis

I think Aygo is a good pick! I like still having him in the Alliance, but he's definitely a top candidate.

I think that your criteria rule out several qualified people. Nadia is a jedi, but would be great senator. She's the daughter of a senator and picked up diplomacy experience with the consular too. Nadia is not necessarily a practical choice in terms of the game, though, since at least currently she's only available to the consular.

My characters will never be joining or supporting the Republic ;) but Nadia would be my top choice too. IIRC she actually has served in the Senate already as the senator from Sarkhai so she has direct experience. I was also impressed with Nadia's comments after Ossus, where she mentioned that even if the Republic won,they'd need to find a way to co-exist peacefully with the Sith. To me, that would be the best representative Odessen could send forward, one that would actively support that spirit of cooperation and tolerance that existed in the Alliance.

Technically Nadia did not join the Alliance with anyone other than the JC but she was in every Republic player's Ossus story, and she was supposed to escape on one of the shuttles, wasn't she? They could always bring her back in.

Elara's capable but she has such a deep hatred of the Empire that I don't think she'd have that spirit of peaceful co-existence that the Alliance has embodied. She tells a trooper who sides with the Empire that she wishes they were dead.

After Nadia my choice would be Beywan Aygo because he seems very well respected, smart and reasonable.

My characters will never be joining or supporting the Republic ;) but Nadia would be my top choice too. IIRC she actually has served in the Senate already as the senator from Sarkhai so she has direct experience. I was also impressed with Nadia's comments after Ossus, where she mentioned that even if the Republic won,they'd need to find a way to co-exist peacefully with the Sith. To me, that would be the best representative Odessen could send forward, one that would actively support that spirit of cooperation and tolerance that existed in the Alliance.

Technically Nadia did not join the Alliance with anyone other than the JC but she was in every Republic player's Ossus story, and she was supposed to escape on one of the shuttles, wasn't she? They could always bring her back in.

I'd be delighted if they did bring Nadia back in a substantial role for all Republic characters. I think there are lots of possible hooks for her in the story going forwards. And all the reasons you point out here do make her an excellent candidate for senator, even if I feel like jedi don't usually take on political roles like these. Nadia has political experience regardless, so clearly that hasn't stopped her in the past.

Elara's capable but she has such a deep hatred of the Empire that I don't think she'd have that spirit of peaceful co-existence that the Alliance has embodied. She tells a trooper who sides with the Empire that she wishes they were dead.

I think Elara's feelings are almost totally ideologically based. I know we disagree about the Empire and the Republic so I won't try to open that particular discussion, but the view that the Empire is profoundly evil doesn't have to mean that someone hates any particular person of the Empire. Elara missed her brother and facilitated his own defection. She helps those who want to work with the Republic and opposes those who try to tear down the Republic. That's sorta without regard for whether the people who do these things have a Republic or Imperial background. As you point out, she has strong words for a trooper who supports the Empire... because of the trooper's actions, and in spite of the trooper's Republic background. It's not crazy to think that she would be open-minded towards formerly Imperial members of the Alliance who accept the offer of Republic citizenship and aid a Republic-aligned Alliance.

Incidentally, in spite of my view that the Empire is despicable, I have characters who support the Empire. They're varying degrees of terrible people (one of them only a little bit terrible), but they're fun to play. ;) We all have different things we enjoy, and I'm sure you know your own preferences best, but you might be surprised how much fun it can be to play a character who goes against almost everything you would personally do. A beautiful, cathartic disaster. :D

Edited by Estelindis

I'm the only one who choose that Robot DX-something above Jorgan for promotion ? :p

Didn't even remember that was an option. THAT is a jerk move lol. Picking Elara over him is one thing, but if I was Jorgan and that happened, I'd literally be either getting an immediate transfer or quitting the official military altogether and joining a planetary resistance group, would be such a slap in the face imo

Didn't even remember that was an option. THAT is a jerk move lol. Picking Elara over him is one thing, but if I was Jorgan and that happened, I'd literally be either getting an immediate transfer or quitting the official military altogether and joining a planetary resistance group, would be such a slap in the face imo

You should give it a try lol Garza reaction is pricless lol

I remember the conversation option to ask if we could do it, but I didn't think Garza actually let us...? :eek:

She doesn't.

But was so worth it...

I just wish I could propose all the AI I met for promotions lol just to see her reaction (And Jorgan..though he may faint, after I propose that ship droid for his place) :D

Not yet.

Yeah, this is a feeling I've had too. I don't think Jorgan actually hates the Republic (hence him refusing to fight the Republic if you're playing an Imperial Commander). But he certainly seems really disillusioned with Republic leadership as a whole. I don't think he's the kind of person whose disgust would lead him to try to become a Republic leader to fix things from the inside. As we see with him going rogue, he's much more about making an impact from the outside.

Yeah, I did feel as I was typing that "hate" is the wrong word to use. Like I said his feelings on the Republic obviously don't come close to his feelings on the Empire, completely apples and oranges situation there. He's definitely got a lot more major issues with them than most Pubside Alliance members do.

but the view that the Empire is profoundly evil

Incidentally, in spite of my view that the Empire is despicable

You mean "fact" here, not view haha. It's simply impossible to argue that the Empire as a whole isn't evil. Three words refute that argument. Legalised. Slave. Trading. I honestly don't care what excuses anyone can come up with, nothing excuses that. Comparing the Republics corruption with the Empire's outright cruelty isn't even possible. I love to play Impside far more than Pub, but facts are facts. No point trying to delude myself so I can feel I'm on the "good side". It's a game after all lol. And in the game, the majority of Imperial characters are outright unarguably evil (Even the gray ones are helping to support and uphold a system rife with genocide, slavery and random cruelty), and the majority of Republic characters are either gray or virtuous.

She doesn't.

But was so worth it...

I just wish I could propose all the AI I met for promotions lol just to see her reaction (And Jorgan..though he may faint, after I propose that ship droid for his place) :D

OMG! :D Yes, it's aromatherapy grenades from now on! And strict dietary plans, the enemy's greatest fear!! :p

I think Elara's feelings are almost totally ideologically based. I know we disagree about the Empire and the Republic so I won't try to open that particular discussion, but the view that the Empire is profoundly evil doesn't have to mean that someone hates any particular person of the Empire. Elara missed her brother and facilitated his own defection. She helps those who want to work with the Republic and opposes those who try to tear down the Republic. That's sorta without regard for whether the people who do these things have a Republic or Imperial background. As you point out, she has strong words for a trooper who supports the Empire... because of the trooper's actions, and in spite of the trooper's Republic background. It's not crazy to think that she would be open-minded towards formerly Imperial members of the Alliance who accept the offer of Republic citizenship and aid a Republic-aligned Alliance.

She also insults Lana the moment she steps into the room on Iokath, and at that point, the Alliance hasn't even chosen a side yet.

I agree with everything you have said about Elara, and she certainly can feel as she does about the Empire, but I think that for one to work effectively as a senator from a planet with a variety of political views, the candidate has to be more objective and open minded. That would include supporting those who don't want to be Republic but want peace, and I don't think Elara could do that. I think that having a very dogmatic and overly patriotic viewpoint about one's own side does not lend itself well to diplomacy.

Incidentally, in spite of my view that the Empire is despicable, I have characters who support the Empire. They're varying degrees of terrible people (one of them only a little bit terrible), but they're fun to play. ;) We all have different things we enjoy, and I'm sure you know your own preferences best, but you might be surprised how much fun it can be to play a character who goes against almost everything you would personally do. A beautiful, cathartic disaster. :D

We do have very divergent views on this, and it's interesting to see. I think the Republic is despicable. My Imperial characters have a variety of alignments, including one that is Light V, and it's been fun for me to explore that instead.

Yeah, I did feel as I was typing that "hate" is the wrong word to use. Like I said his feelings on the Republic obviously don't come close to his feelings on the Empire, completely apples and oranges situation there. He's definitely got a lot more major issues with them than most Pubside Alliance members do.

Yeah, "hate" probably is not quite the right word, but I don't feel like it's 100% wrong either. Jorgan felt abandoned by the Republic in certain ways, and I've no doubt that some days he woke up hating it, even if those were rare days and not his finest moments. But we can definitely agree that, whatever his feelings about the Republic, he hasn't decided that the Empire is somehow better.

You mean "fact" here, not view haha. It's simply impossible to argue that the Empire as a whole isn't evil. Three words refute that argument. Legalised. Slave. Trading. I honestly don't care what excuses anyone can come up with, nothing excuses that. Comparing the Republics corruption with the Empire's outright cruelty isn't even possible. I love to play Impside far more than Pub, but facts are facts. No point trying to delude myself so I can feel I'm on the "good side". It's a game after all lol. And in the game, the majority of Imperial characters are outright unarguably evil (Even the gray ones are helping to support and uphold a system rife with genocide, slavery and random cruelty), and the majority of Republic characters are either gray or virtuous.

Look... I personally completely agree about what the Empire is. And about the morality (or immorality) of everything you stated. But people clearly can and do argue differently, on this very forum no less. I don't agree with most of their views - frankly, I don't even understand some of their views - but I respect them as people, and I want to continue to have productive and interesting discussions with them all. Everyone has some angle that makes sense to them, and if we were in their shoes we might be able to see things just a little differently.

My characters believe in a Strong Empire, but I also believe that all the evil stuff thats done doesn't make the empire strong. It just make it corrupt.

I recall seeing Military soldiers who believes in the strenght of the Empire, and the old doctrines (Maybe made by Valk) of if you are strong , it mean owning slaves, be the master on top..yada yada .

I think those things can be eradicated and the empire can still be strong without them.

The foundation is polluted . And as long as the old doctrines keep being used, the Empire will never change, and will never reach its true potentiel .

Thats just how I view things of course....

Look... I personally completely agree about what the Empire is. And about the morality (or immorality) of everything you stated. But people clearly can and do argue differently, on this very forum no less. I don't agree with most of their views - frankly, I don't even understand some of their views - but I respect them as people, and I want to continue to have productive and interesting discussions with them all. Everyone has some angle that makes sense to them, and if we were in their shoes we might be able to see things just a little differently.

There's just no "angle" to me where supporting a slave state is gonna be acceptable in any realistic situation. Simply stating the facts of the entire franchise to date, Sith=Evil. Empire=Evil. It always just seems to me that people who try making the argument that the Republic is worse seem to ignore and rationalise the obvious atrocities put right out in front of their faces by the Empire, yet find and complain about every obscure little thing the Republic has ever gotten wrong, then hold that up as evidence that they are in the right, it's a disingenuous way to make an argument imo. I'd never make the argument the Republic is pure as the driven snow but I think people making the argument the Empire is morally superior are just contrarians in my experience. Just my opinion on it

We do have very divergent views on this, and it's interesting to see.

Indeed. And I think we can largely leave it there on these particular subjects, agreeing to disagree.

(But for what it's worth, I have Imperial characters who support the Empire and are Light V too. I just roleplay them as blinded to the Empire's flaws in various ways, hence one of those characters being only somewhat terrible. After all, light side and dark side - at least in this game - don't align purely along the axis of good and evil. There are times when I feel a light sided choice can be much more cruel than a dark sided one.)