You Can't Change Your Advanced Class!?!?!

HossDelgado

If people could respecc their AC's, almost everyone could do every single role in the game with one character. The only exception are Gunslinger/Sniper's cant tank, and Sentinels/Maurader's cant heal.

And that would help alleviate the most common problem:

The lack of certain roles (Healers/Tanks especially) when looking for flashpoint/operation groups. Now, with the new versatility, people get to fill more roles. I'm sure some of you will feel the urge to respond with anecdotal evidence à la "OMG, that Powertech was just a Merc 10min ago. I'm sure he can't tank...", but seriously, how hard is tanking/healing/dpsing in this game? Unless you're a total mouthbreather, it takes a maximum of 1h to get the hang of a new role. And before you pull out the Lootninja card, be advised that all endgame gear is token based, and operations distribute the gear automatically.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like others have said, this is like asking to change from a rogue to a hunter. You can't change classes in other MMOs and you also can't change it here. The only different is that you pick your final class at level 10. If you're just level 18, no problem, keep that one, make a sniper and you'll have 2 "agent" classes eventually. Again, these are 2 different classes with completely different playstyles. You'll probably end up playing both eventually.

It is not like change from a rogue to a hunter they do not share the first 10 levels,

While in other mmo's general speaking you play your ac class from the begining and there for get much better understanding or feeling for the class all ready from start.

Everybody talking about wow so let me also do that let's say you play mage in wow and you love it but hate warlock.

We do the same here mage and warlock is the ac that you have to pick after you lvl your toon to level 10.

I do understand people that do not like how it works, my self have no problem to reroll as I have done already.

Could Bioware make the ac already from the start yes they could would it be better sure it would. Is there any point to have as it is now..... to be honest if you think about it, not really.

Other games have the 10 first levels to feel out the class(ac) and when they reach level 10 they can specialized witch tree they wont to go or reroll the to another class.

Here we go one step further back before you get any feeling for your class imo.

Have the same system(too much issue to change the system) as it is now but add that you can change your ac class once (lvl 20 max) then after that you stuck with it

Edited by Gomhi

I felt similar as the OP with my smuggler character (just not that p***ed off).

I thought, what if you could change AC around until you leave Coruscant (or get your ship)?

I think that would not be too hard, because it's in the level range where one can notice that (f.i.) gunslinger is just not what they thought it was. Also it's still in the range where you might think "Oh man, now I have to do the starting area again??" - keep in mind that in that level range the starting zone is not too far away.

It is not like change from a rogue to a hunter they do not share the first 10 levels

But in WoW if you make the new character the same race you are doing the same exact content again, only difference is your class abilities, and those aren't that huge at early levels.

As to why you shouldn't be able to, other then a one time deal prior to lvl 15, is because for many of us we like the fact that choices matter for a change.

If you can simply change out your AC at will, then that choice no longer matters.

Plus as has been said many other times, no other game lets you change your class into another one. Some games let you change skills and such, but those aren't class based games.

Really?

Wow let you change from a lvl 18 warrior to a lvl 18 paladin?

Pretty sure you couldn't do that in WoW, so I'm not sure why you'd make a statement like this, because that's what you are asking to do.

That logic is pretty flawed. a warrior to a paladin? he isn't asking to turn a Bounty Hunter into an Inquisitor. In WOW you can change your warrior from Tank to melee dps. or your paladin from heals to tank or even DPS. WITHOUT re-rolling! i shouldn't have to roll 2 BH to 50 to see which side i like best. It's not like the story changes because of it. I don't think it would hurt anything being able to choose an AC, even make it so you have to pay 200k credits or something stupid. Just make it an option.

It should be possible to change advanced class. Just as you respec a talent tree, you should be able to change ac. And when dual spec hits, you should defo be able to swap ac (or just talents if your dual spec is the same ac) in a matter of seconds just by pressing a button out of combat.

People saying advanced classes are "classes" should really snap out of it and smell the coffee. They're just glorified specs. They share more than half their skills, a talent tree, a resource mechanic and a story. That is why you should be able to swap between them, and comparing it to switching between actual classes which share none of the above, like jedi knight to trooper, makes no sense.

Concluding, being able to change ac wouldn't break the game in any way, except for strange people who enjoy something more cause they're stuck into it (and those can be all means never use the option to change ac when it's implemented), but would, on the contrary, only make it better. Giving players more choices and versatility, not to mention it's simply frustrating to have a class at 50 with all sort of perks and gear but being denied the chance to play its other specs just because of a stupid design choice.

Edit:

Also, since i see loads of people using this silly "class x ac1 plays entirely different from class x ac2" logic, making an example out of a game the vast majority knows, resto, feral, balance druids play in an ENTIRELY different way, with different resource mechanics too (not the case in tor) and so do ret, holy, prot palas, and yet, they're just 2 classes, not 6. The only difference between wow and here is that here they've put a silly restriction to not make you play the different specs. As i already stated, snap out of it, they're just glorified specs, not different classes.

I encourage people who agree with this, or any of the stuff in my sig, to just make appeals about it ingame, and spread the word to their friends and people who care, to do the same, because these forums are useless, represent 5% of the actual playerbase at best, and are filled with insane roleplayers / vintage gamers who seem to be on a mission to keep this game inferior to its competitors.

Edited by AzKnc

(...) However, after awhile I decided that operative was much too slow and had pitiful damage output (...)

I completely and utterly stopped reading a single word after that.

You sir, have absolutely no idea what your talking about to begin with, so to think that your opinion on how BioWare handled the AC system holds any weight at all with anyone who has a character past level 20, is a complete joke.

It should be possible to change advanced class. Just as you respec a talent tree, you should be able to change ac. And when dual spec hits, you should defo be able to swap ac (or just talents if your dual spec is the same ac) in a matter of seconds just by pressing a button out of combat.

People saying advanced classes are "classes" should really snap out of it and smell the coffee. They're just glorified specs. They share more than half their skills, a talent tree, a resource mechanic and a story. That is why you should be able to swap between them, and comparing it to switching between actual classes which share none of the above, like jedi knight to trooper, makes no sense.

Concluding, being able to change ac wouldn't break the game in any way, except for strange people who enjoy something more cause they're stuck into it (and those can be all means never use the option to change ac when it's implemented), but would, on the contrary, only make it better. Giving players more choices and versatility, not to mention it's simply frustrating to have a class at 50 with all sort of perks and gear but being denied the chance to play its other specs just because of a stupid design choice.

Edit:

Also, since i see loads of people using this silly "class x ac1 plays entirely different from class x ac2" logic, making an example out of a game the vast majority knows, resto, feral, balance druids play in an ENTIRELY different way, with different resource mechanics too (not the case in tor) and so do ret, holy, prot palas, and yet, they're just 2 classes, not 6. The only difference between wow and here is that here they've put a silly restriction to not make you play the different specs. As i already stated, snap out of it, they're just glorified specs, not different classes.

I encourage people who agree with this, or any of the stuff in my sig, to just make appeals about it ingame, and spread the word to their friends and people who care, to do the same, because these forums are useless, represent 5% of the actual playerbase at best, and are filled with insane roleplayers / vintage gamers who seem to be on a mission to keep this game inferior to its competitors.

I completly agree. Stop calling this 2 diffferent classes, they are not. There is more difference between druid specs then any advanced classes in tor.

There should be an option to change advanced class, not often but this should be possible. I dont want to level exactly same class again (including collecting gear) just to play different spec

Because of this I now have 2 toons of the same class. Both are Imperial Agent one is sniper the other will be Operative.
You then have 2 toons of different classes...

Advanced Class == Class

The NPC tells you, as many times as you wish before proceeding to giving you the quest to pick your class if you press "I don't get it" each time he's done explaining. Once you come to your choice of class it says once again that this will be permanent.

They might want to be a bit more clear, instead of calling BH/IA/SW/SI/JK/JC/Sm/Tr classes at the start they should maybe call it your intro-class or starting-class just for those who are unable to read and unable to listen to an NPC and we wouldn't be having _this_ issue.

Then we'd have the issue that TOR isn't what the WOW-kids want because it's not a WOW clone but a different game... Oh wait, we already have those id*ots on the forums...

I've been playing the Imperial Agent for a few days now. At level 10, after much consideration, I decided to go operative over sniper because it seemed like a cool class that snuck around and then stabbed people. However, after awhile I decided that operative was much too slow and had pitiful damage output, so I just thought to myself "well I tried out operative and didn't like it, I should probably go sniper". That's when I found out that YOU CAN NEVER CHANGE YOUR ADVANCED CLASS. Why wouldn't Bioware let players change their advanced class. At this point I was level 18 and if I wanted to go sniper I would have to repeat about 3 days of work. I have loved this game so far, but this is the first major issue that I have run into. I hate myself for saying this, but WoW did it better.

Its very clear when you choose your advanced class, that you wont be able to change it back at any point.

Learn to read/listen to what the game tells you, it will spare you some time from posting useless threads mate.

I'm a little torn about this. I understand that it is basically a class and that you are warned enough that this change is permanent.

However, because the story is the same and people have also rl lives (I hope at least someone knows what does it mean), I would see nothing wrong with changing AC, provided you cannot do it daily and it is costly.

There is also this thing, that when you choose your AC on lvl 10, you have ABSOLUTELY no idea how it will turn out, because most AC get their defining abilities between 25-35.

But I would wait how the legacy system turns out. Perhaps this option, along with some customizations will be there.

I've been playing the Imperial Agent for a few days now. At level 10, after much consideration, I decided to go operative over sniper because it seemed like a cool class that snuck around and then stabbed people. However, after awhile I decided that operative was much too slow and had pitiful damage output, so I just thought to myself "well I tried out operative and didn't like it, I should probably go sniper". That's when I found out that YOU CAN NEVER CHANGE YOUR ADVANCED CLASS. Why wouldn't Bioware let players change their advanced class. At this point I was level 18 and if I wanted to go sniper I would have to repeat about 3 days of work. I have loved this game so far, but this is the first major issue that I have run into. I hate myself for saying this, but WoW did it better.

In what way did WoW do it better? I don't remember being able to switch from Rogue to Warrior, or Warlock to Mage.

I'd use a better analogy, but WoW doesn't even have anything like the Operative.

It will happen, it won't be today, it won't be tomorrow, it may be months or years from now but it will happen.

There's no reason to lock it like this, the story is exactly the same for both Advanced classes so why not let us switch?

When they change the class storyline to be different for each advanced/sub class it would make a difference but as it is now there is no difference at all so there is no reason to lock us in.

Sure I wouldn't mind trying out a Marauder, but I am not going to go through the carpal tunnel that comes with being a warrior again.

-choices have consequences

-if you're having fun..why does 3 days matter ?

-roll lots of classes and play them for a bit and see what you like,then try another and another.Talk to people about your current class...watch youtube videos

-MOST IMPORTANT......relax...have fun

me....I have 4 classes I have taken to 10-11...and am still trying others.Heck I'm not sure I even want to stay on the server I've chosen !

THE BOTTOM LINE.....have fun

Edit:

I totally agree.

The mechanics and skills were totally different between each spec of my druid. (and that's not even oonsidering the extra sets of gear to switch from cat to bear, to heals, to boomkin).

Also, it's not because they tell you that it's a ranged healing class (or whatever your AC is going to be) that you're going to like the mechanics of it. A good example of that coming back to WoW is that Shaman, Druid, Paladin and Priest are all heals but they all big differences in their implementation which you may or may not like.

Edited by TheMaskedShadow

[...]

There's no reason to lock it like this, the story is exactly the same for both Advanced classes so why not let us switch?

[...]

1) Because it would allow a single character to fulfil all roles in the entire game.

2) Because no other game MMO-formulaic game allows you to switch classes.

3) Because it would reduce the number of available classes to 4 from 8.

4) Because it would discourage rerolling.

5) Because it would discourage experiencing the different paths available in any single class reroll (because there would be no incentive to reroll the same class to begin with).

These may not all be valid from your point of view, but they're definitely viable from the developer's point of view. It just so happens that I agree with all of them, to boot.

1) Because it would allow a single character to fulfil all roles in the entire game.

2) Because no other game MMO-formulaic game allows you to switch classes.

3) Because it would reduce the number of available classes to 4 from 8.

4) Because it would discourage rerolling.

5) Because it would discourage experiencing the different paths available in any single class reroll (because there would be no incentive to reroll the same class to begin with).

These may not all be valid from your point of view, but they're definitely viable from the developer's point of view. It just so happens that I agree with all of them, to boot.

That's simply not true.

It's not because a druid can do almost everything that you *only* see druids on a single server. People won't necessarily enjoy the mechanics behind the class.

I had a 85 druid and even though it could do almost everything, and I also had an 85 priest, and 82 paly and an 83 hunter on a same server and faction (sorry for enumerating some of the class roles I have but if I don't, people will still think I don't know what I'm talking about).

Blocking the AC without having "tested" what the AC is all about just doesn't make sense. You get your "special" spells *after* selecting your AC.

If I recall correctly (sorry, it's been a while), when EQ2 had something similar, you at least got some of the spells beforehand *before* selecting your real class so at least, you had a "feel" for what the class was going to be about.

I don't see how this restriction adds any "value" to the game.

In Ultima Online you can be a sword wielding plate armor person and if you wish turn into a robe wearing nox mage.

quoted for truth, UO pre trammel was and is the best mmo ever, why did they ever invent trammel update

Oh yeah, topic at hand:

If people could respecc their AC's, almost everyone could do every single role in the game with one character. The only exception are Gunslinger/Sniper's cant tank, and Sentinels/Maurader's cant heal.

I fail to see the problem with this.