225 Gear Rating and 5k+ dps single target - Exploit or Bug?

Bilch

I saw a Mara/Senti today in the Warzone who had 225 Gear Rating but also managed to do 5,2k dps single target (in a 8man wz).

Its already pretty rare to see someone going 5k+ in single target but with that Gear Rating i cant explain it.

Is that some sort of Bug where it doesnt show the correect gear or are they using some sort of Exploit?

I saw a Mara/Senti today in the Warzone who had 225 Gear Rating but also managed to do 5,2k dps single target (in a 8man wz).

Its already pretty rare to see someone going 5k+ in single target but with that Gear Rating i cant explain it.

Is that some sort of Bug where it doesnt show the correect gear or are they using some sort of Exploit?

Not a bug

Bolster make you be 252 + augments (mastery/versatile) except for main/off hand.

Not a bug

Bolster make you be 252 + augments (mastery/versatile) except for main/off hand.

ofc you get bolstered but that this dmg output is possible with a 225 Gear Rating is completly new to me

i mean i play a few chars in pvp with 230 gear (which is to my knowledge the standart for bolster) but 5k dps single target would be completely impossible for me.

i have not much idea of how gear works but i know that better gear gives you a huge advantage.

thats why im so suprised about these numbers

Or is there some rating that bolster you better than 230 i mean guessing he uses a 258 weapon he must have used 210 mods or smtg like that

ofc you get bolstered but that this dmg output is possible with a 225 Gear Rating is completly new to me

i mean i play a few chars in pvp with 230 gear (which is to my knowledge the standart for bolster) but 5k dps single target would be completely impossible for me.

i have not much idea of how gear works but i know that better gear gives you a huge advantage.

thats why im so suprised about these numbers

Or is there some rating that bolster you better than 230 i mean guessing he uses a 258 weapon he must have used 210 mods or smtg like that

Single target is one of the easiest. Its like a parsing dummy when you can just follow them around all wz.

I don't know about a *huge* advantage. I've been trying to finish "258" gearing for my shadow, so then I can directly compare to my 230-bolstered sin - like vs. like. I'm not completely there yet - my shadow has 258 main, off, head, chest, pants, cuffs, boots, one relic and one implant. So gloves, belt, ear, 1 implant and 1 relic missing. I also put in 240 augments for all the 258 gear.

Last quick check I did, my shadow has damage and bonus damage stats somewhere about 7% higher than my sin. My health is about 3.5% higher. My armor is about 10% higher (which results in a "damage reduction" increase of 1.67% - so that's not a straight up 10% reduction in damage - too bad :D ). This is with full class buffs, advance poly stim on, crit at about 1900 for both, and alac at about 700 for both.

Oh, my sin has an actual 252 main hand, because that doesn't bolster.

So it's definitely an advantage - but just putting in the 252 main hand I saw about a 15% increase in damage numbers! So, 252 to 258 is looking to be nowhere near that.

[Edit: btw - I'm pretty sure it's still main & off hand that give the biggest increases - so I don't expect to see much more difference when I put in the final 258s.]

Edited by Banderal

[Edit: btw - I'm pretty sure it's still main & off hand that give the biggest increases - so I don't expect to see much more difference when I put in the final 258s.]

Well yeah the main hand is by far the biggest factor. For example a 230 weapon in pvp and you do nearly no damage no matter what you try:D Anyway ill test that at some point putting 236/240 augmentations in ****** gear:D maybe that is also a factor. But i personally feel that especially 258 gear makes a huge difference

Single target is one of the easiest. Its like a parsing dummy when you can just follow them around all wz.

our team got kinda stomped in the ground but still 5k+ single target only is kinda hard to pull off in an 8man wz. I nearly never see that.

Edited by Bilch

Yes, but how many killing blows did he get? :D

Some players are just better than you/us... No science behind it.

Some players are just better than you/us... No science behind it.

i dont doubt that in the slightest but at the end swtor doesnt have that much to do with skill (i know that skill still makes a big difference but by far not that much compared to other games) - its just button pressing at the end.

Either you press the abbility or you dont - if you hit or miss is depends only on stats/abbilities.

Maybe the title is a bit misleading - im just very interested how he does that because i have no imagination how gear affects the damage over all. I just thought that Gear stats mean alot, which in my experinece was allways the case. But i just like to know which stats do that much for dps.

If i go with 230 gear and 228 augmentations (252 weapon) into pvp i have both standart breakpoints of 1800smtg alacrity and crit - thats my understanding of gear stats atm:D But no matter how good i play i will allways lack a big chunk of dps in comparison to when i play with better gear.

Its easy to spot when someone simply plays better than you but its hard to understand if someone does just rather normal stuff and has 500 or 1000 dps more

Everything is possible while bolstered.

https://imgur.com/a/sOIzzCZ

I did this some time ago with old 208 pvp gear on lvl 70. While it's an arena I can easily see this transferred to regs.

did they stand still all the time?^^

maybe he was even a bloodbath (is that how its called in english) mara thats the only class where i can see big dps if everything goes well. Maybe that why he didnt felt like 5k dps when i kited him around the map:D

Edited by Bilch

Well yeah the main hand is by far the biggest factor. For example a 230 weapon in pvp and you do nearly no damage no matter what you try:D Anyway ill test that at some point putting 236/240 augmentations in ****** gear:D maybe that is also a factor. But i personally feel that especially 258 gear makes a huge difference

our team got kinda stomped in the ground but still 5k+ single target only is kinda hard to pull off in an 8man wz. I nearly never see that.

Gearing Advice that has been tested under Bolster

236 and 240 augments on gear below 252 are detrimental or useless to your bolstered stats because Augments and slot are bolstered to 236.

Especially the master Augments because they won’t add any stats to an augmented slot. I believe this is because the default augment Bolster is actually a 236 mastery one. So if you leave the slot empty, you are in fact getting a defacto 236 mastery augment for free. (This has been test by myself and a few others who posted the results in other threads).

If you want to use Augments on your bolstered gear to change your secondary stats, then use 228 ones, if you use the 236 ones, you will often get lower damage and health stats than if you’d used 228 Augments.

I’ve done a heap of testing with this current Bolster. I’ve literally spent millions doing it.

The results so far are these:

1. Obtain a 252–258 main hand weapon as soon as you can through Ossus. Until then, use the highest rated “main hand” weapon you can get.

2. 230 purple gear bolsters the most consistently with regards to damage and health stats. Using a mix of higher gear will produce eradicate results and can often create lower stats.

3. Full 248 gear with 228 Augments is pretty good, but probably less that 1-2% difference above 230 gear with 228 Augments.

4. Mixing 252 gear with 230-242 gear will give even more eradicate results and I’ve seen people with less stats than my 230 + 228 Augments.

5. Using 248 gear with “236 Augments” will either give you no extra stats if they are Mastery Augments. So it’s a complete waste of credits to do so.

6. Using 248 gear with 236 secondary stat Augments will increase those secondary stats, but you can take a big hit to the main damage and health stats

7. Using 228 power Augments can give you a small amount of extra damage stats, but it can slightly reduce you health.

8. Filling “every” piece of gear with an augment can also reduce your health or crit because you are essentially replacing a defacto 236 mastery augment when you fill a slot. That also means using a 228 mastery augment is pointless

The simplest and cheapest gear setup before you can get “all 252+” is to use 230 gear with 228 Augments (not mastery ones).

Depending on your class and what stats are the most important to you. Use either a mix of crit, Alacrity or accuracy Augments.

If you have the time, credits and can be bothered, you can slightly fine tune this by adding a few 236-248 gear pieces to the 230 bolstered setup. One thing to know is Bolster has a cap on some stats. So if you go over that cap, you will lose other stats to compensate for going over. This is the part where you can experiment with.

In case people don’t already know. You don’t do this testing in a WZ. There are Bolster terminals on the respective fleets and there is now 2 in the Rishi strong hold.

I am using the one in the Rishi training room on the first lvl of the sky ship. This allows you to activate a training dummy too and you can check the results as you test gear combos.

One thing to note is don’t use the WZ training dummy. It seems to still be setup as if you had the old expertise stats. I’ve found the operations dummy gives the most accurate results.

Personally I’ve now 2 sets of gear per class across my Alts. Not unlike when we had pvp gear. But because I mainly pvp, I rarely use my pve gear unless I’m helping my wife to do HM FPs or Ossus World Bosses.

My pvp set is 230 + 228 Augments and 252 main hand

My pve set is 242-252 + 228-236 Augments and 252 main hand (basically the best gear as I pick it up).

Anyway, I hope that helps. If anyone has any different results. I would love to hear about them so I can personally test them because I get bored waiting around for pvp pops and a girl can only have so many “Barbie” outfits (13 per Alt). :D

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I was wondering the same, I came back to swtor like 3 days ago, I stopped at 208 rating, went to warzone (because I only do pvp) and constantly doing 4-5-6k dps with 208 gear as combat sent idk *** is going on but its fun

Do you use also 208 weapons?

But its interesting to know ill test that out myself maybe. I have a few chars with 208 sets on a rather dead server.

But if its true it begins to smell like a bug ^^ (EDIT but you played 70pvp right?:D Mid PvP 5-6k dps is very normal)

Edited by Bilch

Gearing Advice that has been tested under Bolster

236 and 240 augments on gear below 252 are detrimental or useless to your bolstered stats because Augments and slot are bolstered to 236.

Especially the master Augments because they won’t add any stats to an augmented slot. I believe this is because the default augment Bolster is actually a 236 mastery one. So if you leave the slot empty, you are in fact getting a defacto 236 mastery augment for free. (This has been test by myself and a few others who posted the results in other threads).

If you want to use Augments on your bolstered gear to change your secondary stats, then use 228 ones, if you use the 236 ones, you will often get lower damage and health stats than if you’d used 228 Augments.

I’ve done a heap of testing with this current Bolster. I’ve literally spent millions doing it.

The results so far are these:

1. Obtain a 252–258 main hand weapon as soon as you can through Ossus. Until then, use the highest rated “main hand” weapon you can get.

2. 230 purple gear bolsters the most consistently with regards to damage and health stats. Using a mix of higher gear will produce eradicate results and can often create lower stats.

3. Full 248 gear with 228 Augments is pretty good, but probably less that 1-2% difference above 230 gear with 228 Augments.

4. Mixing 252 gear with 230-242 gear will give even more eradicate results and I’ve seen people with less stats than my 230 + 228 Augments.

5. Using 248 gear with “236 Augments” will either give you no extra stats if they are Mastery Augments. So it’s a complete waste of credits to do so.

6. Using 248 gear with 236 secondary stat Augments will increase those secondary stats, but you can take a big hit to the main damage and health stats

7. Using 228 power Augments can give you a small amount of extra damage stats, but it can slightly reduce you health.

8. Filling “every” piece of gear with an augment can also reduce your health or crit because you are essentially replacing a defacto 236 mastery augment when you fill a slot. That also means using a 228 mastery augment is pointless

The simplest and cheapest gear setup before you can get “all 252+” is to use 230 gear with 228 Augments (not mastery ones).

Depending on your class and what stats are the most important to you. Use either a mix of crit, Alacrity or accuracy Augments.

If you have the time, credits and can be bothered, you can slightly fine tune this by adding a few 236-248 gear pieces to the 230 bolstered setup. One thing to know is Bolster has a cap on some stats. So if you go over that cap, you will lose other stats to compensate for going over. This is the part where you can experiment with.

In case people don’t already know. You don’t do this testing in a WZ. There are Bolster terminals on the respective fleets and there is now 2 in the Rishi strong hold.

I am using the one in the Rishi training room on the first lvl of the sky ship. This allows you to activate a training dummy too and you can check the results as you test gear combos.

One thing to note is don’t use the WZ training dummy. It seems to still be setup as if you had the old expertise stats. I’ve found the operations dummy gives the most accurate results.

Personally I’ve now 2 sets of gear per class across my Alts. Not unlike when we had pvp gear. But because I mainly pvp, I rarely use my pve gear unless I’m helping my wife to do HM FPs or Ossus World Bosses.

My pvp set is 230 + 228 Augments and 252 main hand

My pve set is 242-252 + 228-236 Augments and 252 main hand (basically the best gear as I pick it up).

Anyway, I hope that helps. If anyone has any different results. I would love to hear about them so I can personally test them because I get bored waiting around for pvp pops and a girl can only have so many “Barbie” outfits (13 per Alt). :D

Have you done any testing with gear lower than 230? Like 208 or greens or even whites?

Huh weird. I saw a super crappy mara today in pvp (the kind you absolutely global in a 1v1) but he managed 4k dps to my 6k dps, Im not even sure how since I saw him using assault, the sign of a true PvEr.

Maybe there is a new gear bug. (theres been plenty in the past)

Edited by RACATW

Do you use also 208 weapons?

But its interesting to know ill test that out myself maybe. I have a few chars with 208 sets on a rather dead server.

But if its true it begins to smell like a bug ^^ (EDIT but you played 70pvp right?:D Mid PvP 5-6k dps is very normal)

ye 70 lol, but idk, I did some rankeds today and I was doing like 1k dps more than people with 258 gear and I only have main hand 252

Edited by SethDracul

ye 70 lol, but idk, I did some rankeds today and I was doing like 1k dps more than people with 258 gear and I only have main hand 252

As long as you have a 252/258 main hand, you’re good to go because main hand isn’t affected by Bolster like the rest of the gear. So you want to have the highest weapon you can. You can easily get away with using all bolstered gear as long as you have one of those weapons.

ok i think i can kinda confirm that this must be some sort of bug.

I leveled my old mara who has a complete 208 set to 70 and played a few rounds. There seems nothing suspicious about the stats and sadly i dont have a 252/258 weapon on this server to test with but with the green 232 weapon from the ossus starter set i did fairly well and out of my experience what i played before if you play with such a low weapon youre damage should be absolute dog****.

But with the old 208 set and no real stat optimization i did about as much dmg as my other mara who has 230 gear 252 weapon and where i optimized a little bit the stats with augmentations.

To be 100% sure whats wrong and if theres rly something wrong at all with the 208 set i should try to get a 252 weapon and do further tests for the sake of science:D

But over all it feels rly strange

ok i think i can kinda confirm that this must be some sort of bug.

I leveled my old mara who has a complete 208 set to 70 and played a few rounds. There seems nothing suspicious about the stats and sadly i dont have a 252/258 weapon on this server to test with but with the green 232 weapon from the ossus starter set i did fairly well and out of my experience what i played before if you play with such a low weapon youre damage should be absolute dog****.

But with the old 208 set and no real stat optimization i did about as much dmg as my other mara who has 230 gear 252 weapon and where i optimized a little bit the stats with augmentations.

To be 100% sure whats wrong and if theres rly something wrong at all with the 208 set i should try to get a 252 weapon and do further tests for the sake of science:D

But over all it feels rly strange

I’ve got a few 208 sets still sitting around to test.

Edited by TrixxieTriss