252/258 Set Bonus not working??

panoukla

To get the set bonus again, is it safe to extract the armoring to get it? Is that confirmed?

I don't want to screw my gear over lol.

My experience

We had the empty 258 shells on alts, they had been filled during the patch with "new" 258s. The "old" 258s that had been legacy smuggled to a main had no set bonus.

Legacy smuggled the "new" 258 armorings to the main. If we stripped out the "old" armorings then put in the "new" armorings the bonus appeared immediately. Putting the "new" armoring into the main overwriting the "old" armoring did not show the bonus until the toon was logged out and in.

All now back and working

You throw the line in with grouper bait actually catch the grouper, but as you pull it up to the surface the line snags on an octopus, seaweed, and a shark then bites your grouper in half meaning you only managed to get half a grouper some seaweed and an octopus.

Point is, they are trying to fix the set bonuses, just be appreciative they finally started that.

I can't decide if you're a troll or a fool. People spent a lot of time doing content they often didn't like for that gear. Then a basic bug that should have been caught by the most trivial of testing took it away. If the code is fragile then you test a complex change like this to death, you roll it out to your test server first and as a single fix release and you have your dev team on standby in case anything goes wrong.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioware really needs to stop and reflect on what happened here.

Once done, they have to go back to taking this game serious and investing some serious time and manpower to get it back on track. I get it, they're juggling both SWTOR and <other game> and they're trying to invest just enough to keep SWTOR going. I can picture how there's meetings and some project leader or feature owner or whatever will say that there's an urgent work item to be done on SWTOR and people will moan because a) new projects are always more exciting than legacy dreck, and b) they're all up to their necks in work anyway because the release of <other game> draws ever closer and it's still all a mess (guessing here, don't actually know, but isn't it always?)

And then Joe, who hasn't been with the company for 9 months, draws the golden ticket and gets to work on the problem. Joe's never done anything on the SWTOR code but hey it can't be THAT complicated, right?

Well, it.is, obviously. And Joe doens't know. He just presses a few magic keys and gets a full set of 258. He investigates why it doesn't mix with the old stuff, and then opts to replace the mods in those armor items with other, better mods that mix properly with the old set bonus. He tests this on his freshly conjured suit of armor and lo and behold, it works! Satisfaction. Pride. Joy.

Only it doesn't work for most people because Joe has no idea how people play this game. The fault of course does not lie with Joe, who did his very best, but with a company that is dangerously close to destroying a product without even realizing it.

I know how this works: let's finish <other game> and then we'll get back to SWTOR and give the players some new content again. But you know what? Even trying to tide us over the content dry spell with grinding, you still need to invest way more time and manpower than you have here. You can't keep messing up like this, or you risk losing it all when <other game> tanks.

• Dev Post

Hey all,

Quick update. We have a possible fix, the team is working through getting it created and tested. Once I have that confirmation we will plan to have a maintenance to push that fix live. Our current timeline if all goes well would be for tomorrow morning.

I will let you know in this thread once I have more details and if a maintenance is happening, I will get messaging live.

Thanks all, more details to follow.

-eric

Hey all,

Quick update. We have a possible fix, the team is working through getting it created and tested. Once I have that confirmation we will plan to have a maintenance to push that fix live. Our current timeline if all goes well would be for tomorrow morning.

I will let you know in this thread once I have more details and if a maintenance is happening, I will get messaging live.

-eric

THANK YOU Eric!!! I appreciate you guys moving quickly on this.

So, for now, still dont do anything with 258's, whether pulling mods or the shells. Would be nice to have a message posted in General chat every 15 minutes or so, so people in game can know. Not everyone reads the forums.

If they're working on a fix that depends on people not moving the armorings around, they're going to have an even bigger problem tomorrow.

Edited by Screaming_Ziva

Bioware really needs to stop and reflect on what happened here.

Once done, they have to go back to taking this game serious and investing some serious time and manpower to get it back on track. I get it, they're juggling both SWTOR and <other game> and they're trying to invest just enough to keep SWTOR going. I can picture how there's meetings and some project leader or feature owner or whatever will say that there's an urgent work item to be done on SWTOR and people will moan because a) new projects are always more exciting than legacy dreck, and b) they're all up to their necks in work anyway because the release of <other game> draws ever closer and it's still all a mess (guessing here, don't actually know, but isn't it always?)

And then Joe, who hasn't been with the company for 9 months, draws the golden ticket and gets to work on the problem. Joe's never done anything on the SWTOR code but hey it can't be THAT complicated, right?

Well, it.is, obviously. And Joe doens't know. He just presses a few magic keys and gets a full set of 258. He investigates why it doesn't mix with the old stuff, and then opts to replace the mods in those armor items with other, better mods that mix properly with the old set bonus. He tests this on his freshly conjured suit of armor and lo and behold, it works! Satisfaction. Pride. Joy.

Only it doesn't work for most people because Joe has no idea how people play this game. The fault of course does not lie with Joe, who did his very best, but with a company that is dangerously close to destroying a product without even realizing it.

I know how this works: let's finish <other game> and then we'll get back to SWTOR and give the players some new content again. But you know what? Even trying to tide us over the content dry spell with grinding, you still need to invest way more time and manpower than you have here. You can't keep messing up like this, or you risk losing it all when <other game> tanks.

Damn you, Joe ::shakes fist::

For those interested here is a workaround.

If you have the shells still take the NEW armoring and replace the OLD armoring and then unequip and re-equip that gear slot and voila your set bonus for that piece will appear and work with the lower end set bonuses.

Rinse and Repeat for all affected gear pieces and voila there you go.

Now everyone can stop panicking and slapping the unsub button in droves.

Edited by Protius

If you have the shells still take the NEW armoring and replace the OLD armoring and then unequip and re-equip that gear slot and voila your set bonus for that piece will appear and work with the lower end set bonuses.

That doesn't help anyone who had those 258 shells filled with 252 gear, since we got no new armorings...

Except that will get expensive pulling mods out and replacing. Granted they can make that up in a few daily runs.

Hey all,

-eric

What about the WORSENED Companion bug where some have their higher level companions RESET to zero (Actually, I know you just deleted the WRONG version from the database) and some companions aren't even available? This needs immediate correction!

Why did they even do this??? They created a huge mess out of a system that was working.. Now their fixes are creating even more confusion and work for themselves. Stop fixing things that aren't broken!!! Set bonuses worked just fine before when a new tier of armor came out.. They already have a skeleton crew on this game and they are making needless changes that screw things up??? ***?

Why did they even do this??? They created a huge mess out of a system that was working.. Now their fixes are creating even more confusion and work for themselves. Stop fixing things that aren't broken!!! Set bonuses worked just fine before when a new tier of armor came out.. They already have a skeleton crew on this game and they are making needless changes that screw things up??? ***?

At this point, messing up things that aren't broken by "fixing" them is just what they do. Remember the 4.x gear system that got scrapped because it was "too complicated" and had "too many currencies"? Yeah...

I don't want a 6.0 if it's gonna be like that, please. Just do bugfixes, and properly test them for more than an hour, thanks.

I am wearing my 252 shells (un-augmented). Those have no set-bonus. I tried removing the armor plates and then reinserting them... logging out, and then logging back in... (three times)... still no set bonus.

I am wearing my 252 shells (un-augmented). Those have no set-bonus. I tried removing the armor plates and then reinserting them... logging out, and then logging back in... (three times)... still no set bonus.

Hmmm that's not good that the shells aren't working like that. The fix i posted was for those who weren't using the shells as their equipped gear we have tested it various ways and so far it has worked. Ill see if anyone in my guild was using the shells as equipped gear and have them do some testing to see if we can get a work around just in case tomorrows planned fix doesn't work out as intended.

I had a piece of Victorious Pioneer's gear set restored a couple weeks back, the Greaves piece. When they restored it for me, because I'm dumb and deleted it by mistake, it didn't show the set bonus on the piece. I equipped it, just tested it again after they sent me a 2nd response saying to equip it, and the XP is the same as before because it's no longer hitting the next tier for the xtra 15% XP.

But, this happened literally 2 weeks ago and I'm on my 3rd ticket trying to get it resolved. And it's not a 252/258 armoring either.

Is this possibly related to this issue?

Edited by Kadin

People were complaining about 248 set bonus not working with new gear bonus...

The MOB demanded a fix and was very angry that it wasn't fixed in the previous patch even tho it was't a game breaking problem. You could work around it easily. I used 248 armorings with 252 mods / enhancements until I got the all the pieces...

Now we got the "fix".... and it look how great it turned out to be. I honestly didn't expect them to break things so badly, but hey... "error's" can happen.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

Hey all,

-eric

Keep that attitude becasue it's so rare with you guys. Unlike all other studios I know of that run a 24/7 online game and fix things the very next or even the same day after a miserable patch you guys usually come out with a "hot"fix (it's not soooo hot then anymore) after 1+week or even, you know, after the December update disaster don't fix serious issues (and countless of them) for 2 months now....

Edited by Khaleg

That doesn't help anyone who had those 258 shells filled with 252 gear, since we got no new armorings...

why would you fill 258 shells with 252 gear?

i get if people get upset if they sold their shells, but using 252 in 258 shells seems like a rare problem.

im ok with the patch. it took some work and credts to replace "old" 258 armoring with new ones, but i got about 20 bonus mods and enh each for compensation. plus you can put an old armor with out set bonus in every 7th slot of each set. one less piece to hope for droping in crates. this patch saved me about 30 crystalls :cool:

Many people do this.

They currently have 252 mods in their legacy gear and they turn in the empty 252 shell for a 258 piece. They then take the 258 mods out to put them into the legacy gear but they don't want to just trash the 252 mods so they dump them into the 258 shell for storage.

Space. I rip the 3 mods (mods = armorong, enhancement, mod) from the 258, open my legacy set that has 252's in, extract the 252's and replace those with the 258's. I then have the three 252's mods that I place in my 258 shell since 1 piece of gear takes up far less space than 4 does. Now, think about how much less space 7 pieces of 258 shells take up vs. 26 spots if I didn't replace those mods again.

Space. I rip the 3 mods (mods = armorong, enhancement, mod) from the 258, open my legacy set that has 252's in, extract the 252's and replace those with the 258's. I then have the three 252's mods that I place in my 258 shell since 1 piece of gear takes up far less space than 4 does. Now, think about how much less space 7 pieces of 258 shells take up vs. 26 spots if I didn't replace those mods again.

ok, fair enough, didnt think about that. got so many toons to gear that all my 252 stuff immediatly went to another legacy set when upgraded.

anyway, hope the patch today did fix some things then?