Weekly Event: Galactic Starfighter - Bugged

Pacram

GSF doesn’t even have joystick support without adding a pile of 3rd party software mods, SWG had this with JTL in November 2004. 15 years on and we don’t even get joystick support please stop trying to convince me that GSF is worth playing.

That's your personal opinion. I love GSF the way it is. Mouse/keyboard works beautifully with the way it's set up. GSF is a great Mini game if you try to get to understand it. It took me at least 20 matches to start to like it, I've played it for years since. thousands of hours of entertainment.

From what I've seen in general chat on Ossus. The thing people are complaining about isn't GSF itself, but the fact the weekly isn't counting the wins so it can't be completed.

Edited by Toraak

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GSF doesn’t even have joystick support without adding a pile of 3rd party software mods, SWG had this with JTL in November 2004. 15 years on and we don’t even get joystick support please stop trying to convince me that GSF is worth playing.

This is a side effect of the "gaming industry" deciding that the genre of space combat sim wasn't worth developing.

For the past 15-20 years, the only space combat sims that have been made came from a small handful of independent studios. Even the almost absurd 9-figure crowdfunding of Star Citizen hasn't convinced developers that it's worth making a AAA space combat game.

Just how many PC gamers do think even own joysticks these days?

If I'm honest. I don't really like GSF. I've played it a handful of times, and thought it was mostly boring. This game is so much about my character, and I feel like my character is missing from GSF. That said I was okay with them making it the crystal quest this week. It'll be something different, and it shouldn't come up to often.

The fact that they didn't make sure the F'ing thing WORKED at f'ing all is un-f'ing-forgivable!! Of all the repetitive boring daily quests that we have to do to get our high level gear now the quests that award crystals are the MOST important and so far almost all of them have been broken!!!

First there was the problem with the WB quests not working so everyone had to bail out of their groups at the last second. Then there was the droid that gives the weekly event quest only giving it out one day a week. Now this!! Do they test this at all?!?!?!?

Actually, it’s the opposite. Conquest, Galactic Command daily bonus, highlighted Hard Modes, the pre-KOTET Dark vs Light event ... they were all very successful in getting people to play things they don’t enjoy.

I don't know anybody that pays attention to the galactic command daily bonus any more. I also remember all of the hate surrounding the dark vs. light event, and all of the people that quit the game because of it.

As far as conquest goes, I suspect that some people do gsf for points, but that number is limited, and to be honest, I think that they deserve to be able to choose to do it for points. The thing is that people are not required to do it to reach their weekly conquest goal. In this case, people loose out on the masterwork crystal if they don't do it, and I don't like that.

Who even plays gsf anyway its garbage, the whole idea of this being a mission is just stupid.

The fact that my GSF let's play series are my most watched videos on my YouTube seem to disagree with you. Moving on bioware why havnt you acknowledged the bug? Those of us that play would like our Crystal.

I don't know anybody that pays attention to the galactic command daily bonus any more.

Why wouldn't you pay attention to it? Its not anything to obsess over, sure. But crates have a chance to give 252 pieces, Masterwork Data Crystals, sometimes CMTs, sometimes Grand Chance Cubes, and if nothing else, stuff you disassemble for more CXP and UC. It's free for doing whatever you choose to do. If you don't have full 248 its certainly useful, in any content which isn't Bolstered, which is still a lot of stuff including some solo and solo-able content. If you're working on a set for an alt that is a mirror class then its also useful.

I also remember all of the hate surrounding the dark vs. light event, and all of the people that quit the game because of it.

People quit the game over an optional summer event? Sounds rational.

As far as conquest goes, I suspect that some people do gsf for points, but that number is limited, and to be honest, I think that they deserve to be able to choose to do it for points. The thing is that people are not required to do it to reach their weekly conquest goal. In this case, people loose out on the masterwork crystal if they don't do it, and I don't like that.

See, you're not obligated to do conquest either, but you can certainly supplement your guild's point totals by GSF or even get some alts to reach their personal goal when other one-time or once per day objectives have been met by using GSF. And some weeks conquest IS about GSF, if you recall.

It's pretty clear that the devs want to slow down the grind for 258 gear. It's also important to remember that we're talking about a gear rating that only a very small portion of the game is balanced around. I think the grind stinks and I find it bizarre that galactic command was bypassed this way. I think the crafting pathway is absurdly worse making it weird that the best option for getting the gear is the same for everyone regardless of playstyle. But its a good thing that the devs listened to the early feedback in the fall when this tier was first announced and added a pathway outside of crafting materials that only come from MM GFTM. And I think its a good thing that they tossed in a rotating weekly for an extra MDC. You seem to be under the impression that MDCs are an entitlement, and that this weekly to do content separate from Ossus AND separate from MM GFTM is an entitlement too. That's clearly not how the devs feel, hence why this rotating weekly is really icing on the cake, rather than the entrée.

You seem to be under the impression that MDCs are an entitlement, and that this weekly to do content separate from Ossus AND separate from MM GFTM is an entitlement too. That's clearly not how the devs feel, hence why this rotating weekly is really icing on the cake, rather than the entrée.

You don't have to belittle me to make your point. The fact that I don't like what the devs did, does not equate to me feeling entitled. As far as the devs go, I don't care how they feel. I pay to play this game, and I will continue to state my disagreement with them when they do things that I don't like.

You don't have to belittle me to make your point. The fact that I don't like what the devs did, does not equate to me feeling entitled. As far as the devs go, I don't care how they feel. I pay to play this game, and I will continue to state my disagreement with them when they do things that I don't like.

I’m not belittling you per se. But your argument about having a weekly that offers a large variety of completion conditions assumes the devs agree that MDCs should be as straightforward to acquire as Command XP is intended to be. This is clearly not the case, or the devs would have integrated the tier 5 gear into Galactic Command better; or they would have made any number of other changes. It seems to me that the whole MDC pathway is a bone they threw to those of us unable or unwilling to do MM GFTM.

If you come from a viewpoint that everyone should be able to get the best in slot gear eventually somehow, then that will flavor how you think the rotating weekly should function.

I’m not belittling you per se. But your argument about having a weekly that offers a large variety of completion conditions assumes the devs agree that MDCs should be as straightforward to acquire as Command XP is intended to be. This is clearly not the case, or the devs would have integrated the tier 5 gear into Galactic Command better; or they would have made any number of other changes. It seems to me that the whole MDC pathway is a bone they threw to those of us unable or unwilling to do MM GFTM.

If you come from a viewpoint that everyone should be able to get the best in slot gear eventually somehow, then that will flavor how you think the rotating weekly should function.

I will always disagree with any decision that is intended to slow progress, and make the game more of a grind. I liked the way that getting gear worked in 4.0. It was much less of a grind, and as a result, I was able to equip alts of different advance classes, and role assignments easily for both PvE and PvP. The devs choosing to get away from that with the implementation of command crates is another example of how they messed up and caused droves of people to quit the game. Sure, they eventually capitulated and made getting gear from operation possible, and increased the cxp earned and the drop rates of legendary gear in teir 2 and 3, but they only did that after people told them how bad the old system was.

It was feedback that led them to make the system better, and not just people telling them how great they are. It takes people who are in opposition to an idea to inform those making the decisions so that they can understand what improvements can be made.

It was feedback that led them to make the system better, and not just people telling them how great they are. It takes people who are in opposition to an idea to inform those making the decisions so that they can understand what improvements can be made.

Which you have every right to do. I just try to pick my battles. For example, telling us in live-streams that you intend for crafting to be the fastest way, and then require daily area currency turned into other things and dozens of CMTs for a single piece is inconsistent with that design intent. Telling people that you want to support alt play and encourage guilds to cooperate in the leveling and perk process, and then making reinforcement components BoP, is contrary to those design intents. UC yield is far too low in most areas, but especially upon disintegration, and even more so post 5.10. I feel the drop rate of 252 pieces should be equal to, or more than, that of 248s in tier 4 crates and everything below 252 more common than pre-5.10 respectively. So, I don’t think everything is rosy and great and I certainly believe there is room for improvement. But I acknowledge the assumptions/biases hidden in my arguments. In this case, it’s my like of GSF.

You can either do what they offer in the game, or choose not to do it. They have proven they care not what the players want/don't want.

What they offer to do in game is bugged and won't let us complete it. That is the issue.

How has this thread got to 5 pages, yet no-one from BW has officially responded about a fix (or more likely a "tough luck this week answer)?

Because everyone decided to have a gripe session about what the weekly missions are instead of the far more relevant fact that the mission that they don't want to do ISN'T WORKING.

Very frustrating that its not just GSF its WINS at GSF required for the weekly.

Would've much preferred complete 5 matches as an objective over just win 3.

But hell i'd just settle for the quest working!

@EricMusco cmon bro, tell us you're aware of this issue

Still the point of the post was that its NOT WORKING and still no comment from BW

This. The important thing is the fact that it’s now Thursday and they haven’t even acknowledged the bug. The new stance seems to be “if we can’t fix it, ignore it.” At least a heads-up in DevTracker would be nice so people don’t waste their time if GSF isn’t their thing.

As for the weekly event design in general - It’s not ideal, but with a much smaller population, this sort of concentrated, one-thing-at-a-time design is their solution to encourage groupfinder. If the game were a lot more populated, having 3 or 4 options would work well. But they basically need to make everyone concentrated on one activity to get the kind of participation in groupfinder that they want. I’m not saying I like it – I don’t – but I understand why they have set it up this way.

Personally I enjoy GSF to an extent – I achieved enough competency to consider myself “OK” at some point, but that has dwindled. It’s just not the primary (or even secondary or tertiary) reason I play swtor, and fell by the wayside. The problem is that those that do play regularly are super passionate about it, and as a result really, really good, so the skill gap for a new player is pretty daunting. There isn’t the equivalent of lowbie ground-based PvP where, sure, some of your opponents are veterans who know their stuff, but at least half of them are just as clueless as you, so you have a chance to learn something before you die. However, from what I’ve seen, the GSF community is also about as non-toxic as you’re likely to find in a multiplayer game. I would have happily climbed into my (now pretty dusty) Flashfire this week and given it a go.

But if the quest isn’t working, forget it.

I raised a ticket yesterday regarding the issue that I won 3 GSF fights and none was counted in the event-quest.

After a few hours I got a reply (I raised it in german - so if I translate it the answer is like the following):

"Hello, thank you that you contacted the Star Wars: The Old Republic-customer service.

We would like to let you know that we identified the problem you told us about as an game-issue. We will fix this with a game update in future. (...)"

For me it is positive that they answered so fast and that the problem is defined as an game-issue (I hope I translate the word Spielfehler correctly).

Some final words about the topic of GSF: I am great fan of GSF and I appreciate that there are GSF-quests. On the other hand I am absolute not interested in OPs - and this is the good thing of SWTOR: By offering all types of weekly quests all the different interested players of the community have the chance to get the crystals. Thats a very solution IMHO.

Very frustrating that its not just GSF its WINS at GSF required for the weekly.

Would've much preferred complete 5 matches as an objective over just win 3.

But hell i'd just settle for the quest working!

@EricMusco cmon bro, tell us you're aware of this issue

completing 5 matches would have worked for me, sometimes depending on time of the day, match maker did what it could do to get a match, but the teams were so lopsided, it wasn't fun, but any ways

wasn't this something that should had been found in Public test ? or did it actually worked there ?

I raised a ticket yesterday regarding the issue that I won 3 GSF fights and none was counted in the event-quest.

After a few hours I got a reply (I raised it in german - so if I translate it the answer is like the following):

"Hello, thank you that you contacted the Star Wars: The Old Republic-customer service.

We would like to let you know that we identified the problem you told us about as an game-issue. We will fix this with a game update in future. (...)"

For me it is positive that they answered so fast and that the problem is defined as an game-issue (I hope I translate the word Spielfehler correctly).

Some final words about the topic of GSF: I am great fan of GSF and I appreciate that there are GSF-quests. On the other hand I am absolute not interested in OPs - and this is the good thing of SWTOR: By offering all types of weekly quests all the different interested players of the community have the chance to get the crystals. Thats a very solution IMHO.

but 'Update in the future", will that still be in 2019 ?

I'm wondering if they'll fix the bug this week. Or at least get the crystals sent for this week.

i abused the flagging tool, to highlight this topic and until today we don't have any reaction to it. so i don't think, that we get a fix on tuesday (01/15/19), and of course we will not get any compensation, like i didn't got any in the first week. because it is known, that the quest is buggy, many won't waste a slot in the quest lister. so they should give every toon, able to do the quest, a crystal. but i think their argumentation is, that nobody could do it, so there is no advantage for somebody.