Weekly Event: Galactic Starfighter - Bugged

Pacram

Are we serious right now?

I am not doing this crap. this is not swtor, its a star fox fanboy side interest. Im having 3 crystals the next 3 weeks. screw this bs

if I wanted to play laser in space Id get out star fox N64 not swtor

starfighter matches, wins and certain objectives award conquest points. It's a decent way to supplement your conquest points, gives you a little change of pace with a vastly different game mode. You don't have to worry about loot, or inventory, everything is a separate currency and it's all managed in your Hangar view.

Galactic Starfighter game mode has more in common with World of Tanks than it does Star Fox in my opinion.

Star Fox may have been an arcade flight shooter, but it was very simple. Everyone had the same ship, tank or soldier. Bombs were pickups that you had to find.

vs.

World of Tanks has a Garage much like the Hangar. service each tank, buy and upgrade components, (gun, turret, engine, turret, suspension, radio) ammo types, (explosive, armor piercing, premium) hire and train crew (gunners, driver, commander, loaders, radio) equip stat enhancing equipment. (only 3 equipment slots per tank)

World of Tanks' developers have manged to take the same mechanics and apply them to Naval vehicles creating World of Warships and likewise for aerial vehicles creating World of Warplanes. So for these and many other reasons GSF is more like WoT than it is Starfox 64.

WoT uses armor thickness, projectile penetration, angle of impact, slope of armor to calculate if an enemy projective hits, (may ricochet) digs through all the millimeters of armor, (may fail to penetrate) and only then give it a chance to critically hit an interior component like engine, radio, turret, gun, crew, etc. Components can catch fire and crew members can be wounded. The GSF equivalent is a simplified accuracy and evasion stat.

I haven't seen smoke canisters in WoT but if that existed it would be the word war 2 equivalent of lock on break abilities. (u- and s- turns, barrel roll) In Wot you can just break line of sight, and even enter camouflage to obscure the enemy's ability to spot your immobile ambush positioned tank.

Wot has sight range like sensor range in GSF. ability to spot enemy vehicles

Wot has radio range able to send minimap information to nearby radios, but it doesn't work the same way as communication range in GSF. Which is how far away from a capture point you can be to contest a point.

Edited by Falensawino

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

starfighter matches, wins and certain objectives award conquest points. It's a decent way to supplement your conquest points, gives you a little change of pace with a vastly different game mode. You don't have to worry about loot, or inventory, everything is a separate currency and it's all managed in your Hangar view.

Galactic Starfighter game mode has more in common with World of Tanks than it does Star Fox in my opinion.

We do not care about conquest either

We do not care about conquest either

Truth. I already removed my sub over this. It's become too much of a grind; granted I don't mind having to work for gear but this is ridiculous. If they want to force us to play spaceships they should at least have balanced it to not where everyone just flies around in gunships and the other classes actually have a purpose. They didn't provide anything for support players. The bug with the missions just means I'm wasting my time here. Time to go back to Eve and fire up some logistics, at least there I feel useful and can enjoy what I'm paying for. Looks like the trash taking itself out today boys. Peace.

Truth. I already removed my sub over this. It's become too much of a grind; granted I don't mind having to work for gear but this is ridiculous. If they want to force us to play spaceships they should at least have balanced it to not where everyone just flies around in gunships and the other classes actually have a purpose. They didn't provide anything for support players. The bug with the missions just means I'm wasting my time here. Time to go back to Eve and fire up some logistics, at least there I feel useful and can enjoy what I'm paying for. Looks like the trash taking itself out today boys. Peace.

You clearly don't play GSF.

Gunships aren't even kind of what's best in the current meta.

Strike Fighters dominate both game modes, and Gunships and Bombers are more support ships now. Scouts were nerfed in certain ways, and in most situations are inferior to use over Strikes. There was a giant balance patch when the Iokath map was introduced, and it generally improved the gameplay in GSF. Especially if you fly with friends, a balanced team can really dominate opponents, though a squad of Strikes with a few Bombers also does the job most of the time. Gunships sometimes are helpful in Deathmatch, but are also easy to sneak up on and take out.

GSF is a ton of fun, but takes a while to get good enough to have fun playing it - the learning curve is by far the most difficult in the game. To another poster above who claimed nobody plays it, that's also completely untrue. GSF pops on Star Forge all evening every day of the week, and in the afternoons as well, often 12 vs 12 matches. It dies down when most people are sleeping, i.e. after 1:00 AM EST. Most people that don't enjoy GSF, in my experience, simply don't like how difficult it is at first or even understand what to do.

It's unfortunate this weekly seems bugged. I was looking forward to it a heck of a lot more than running the same MM FPs over and over again we have for years.

Edited by arunav

Your still not getting it no-one cares about GSF, if I wanted to play space in a starwars game I would log into SWG legends.

Space in SWG makes GSF look like a mobile phone app.

Edited by Loki_

Your still not getting it no-one cares about GSF, if I wanted to play space in a starwars game I would log into SWG legends.

No one cares about you posting false information either.... No one is forcing you to play GSF for the crystal or whatever and I'd rather do GSF for the masterwork crystal than 4 stupid MM flashpoints that no one plays.. and getting a pop was almost impossible in prime time on DM...

GSF was popping every 3 minutes on DM last evening... A shame that the weekly is bugged and no fix for it anytime soon...

No one cares about you posting false information either.... No one is forcing you to play GSF for the crystal or whatever and I'd rather do GSF for the masterwork crystal than 4 stupid MM flashpoints that no one plays.. and getting a pop was almost impossible in prime time on DM...

GSF was popping every 3 minutes on DM last evening... A shame that the weekly is bugged and no fix for it anytime soon...

Doing 4 MM flashpoints was stupid. That doesn't mean that a gsf based mission isn't stupid too. I didn't do the flashpoints, and won't be doing gsf.

How are either of these good for the game?

They should just give us the choice of how we want to earn our crystals. An option for PvE, one for PvP, and one for GSF. None of these missions should be overly time consuming, and they should be doable by the majority of people that enjoy each aspect of the game.

Edited by Exly

I fear this thread will just devolve into an “I hate GSF” thread, but really it’s not any different than:

1. Pvp’ers who don’t do group ranked who are “forced” to do the Ossus world bosses
  2. Solo players who are “forced” to do group content to get the highest tier gear that previously they could get grinding command crates from their usual casual solo activities
  3. PvEers who are “forced” to do pvp to get the m1-4x companion
  4. PvPers who are forced to do pve just to get to endgame

I mean the list goes on and on. Everyone is “forced” in some way, but really no one is forced to do anything. So don’t do the GSF weekly if you don’t want to, but don’t you dare take it away from me, simply because I try to enjoy ALL the game has to offer, including GSF. People who play a variety of content will always earn gear faster, and this is no different.

Honestly, with how absurd the 258 grind is, why on earth would you take away ways to do shorten it? This rotating weekly was meant as an alternative pathway for people unable or unwilling to do MM GFTM, since Galactic Command was getting bypassed with the new tier. It’s a bonus path for people. Whether you like doing hammer station four times in a row or blowing up starfighters, there is something for every play style.

I fear this thread will just devolve into an “I hate GSF” thread, but really it’s not any different than:

1. Pvp’ers who don’t do group ranked who are “forced” to do the Ossus world bosses
  2. Solo players who are “forced” to do group content to get the highest tier gear that previously they could get grinding command crates from their usual casual solo activities
  3. PvEers who are “forced” to do pvp to get the m1-4x companion
  4. PvPers who are forced to do pve just to get to endgame

I mean the list goes on and on. Everyone is “forced” in some way, but really no one is forced to do anything. So don’t do the GSF weekly if you don’t want to, but don’t you dare take it away from me, simply because I try to enjoy ALL the game has to offer, including GSF. People who play a variety of content will always earn gear faster, and this is no different.

Honestly, with how absurd the 258 grind is, why on earth would you take away ways to do shorten it? This rotating weekly was meant as an alternative pathway for people unable or unwilling to do MM GFTM, since Galactic Command was getting bypassed with the new tier. It’s a bonus path for people. Whether you like doing hammer station four times in a row or blowing up starfighters, there is something for every play style.

You're right, and that's why I think that they shouldn't limit the weekly to one game type, and should instead make it so that people can earn them via a menu of choices including everything from story chapters, to pvp, to gsf and etc.

Attempting to get people to play content that they do not enjoy has never been a popular choice, and the devs should discontinue the practice.

So far there's been PVP objective, with 8 medals needed in a match to complete, 4 MM FP completion, and 3 wins in GSF.

8 medals in one PVP match is way faster then completing 4 MM FP, and 3 wins in GSF is also tedious and now it doesn't even work.

I bet an Operation objective will roll soon, and will be even more tedious, and not to mention impossible for FTP and Prefered players.

My point is that these Weekly Events objectives should be recalibrated (from the perspective of time invested towards completion) or redone similar to the weekly that lets you choose between killing World bosses (PVE objective) or doing Ranked PVP objective (which is also impossible for FTP and Preffered).

lol, you seem to have a very high opinion of your own … opinions. You think smthg so everybody does ?

No one care about gsf ? wrong.

No one care about what you have to say ? true.

The weekly should have been:

Complete one warzone

or

Complete one MM flashpoint

or

Complete one GSF match

or

complete one weekly mission from the ops terminal

People would still be limited to one extra crystal a week and all could have been happy, instead people are doing things they don't like and annoying people who do like that activity

So far there's been PVP objective, with 8 medals needed in a match to complete, 4 MM FP completion, and 3 wins in GSF.

8 medals in one PVP match is way faster then completing 4 MM FP, and 3 wins in GSF is also tedious and now it doesn't even work.

I bet an Operation objective will roll soon, and will be even more tedious, and not to mention impossible for FTP and Prefered players.

My point is that these Weekly Events objectives should be recalibrated (from the perspective of time invested towards completion) or redone similar to the weekly that lets you choose between killing World bosses (PVE objective) or doing Ranked PVP objective (which is also impossible for FTP and Preffered).

The operation mission will probably require you to complete MM VMG.

The weekly should have been:

Complete one warzone

or

Complete one MM flashpoint

or

Complete one GSF match

or

complete one weekly mission from the ops terminal

People would still be limited to one extra crystal a week and all could have been happy, instead people are doing things they don't like and annoying people who do like that activity

Add in a mission to complete a story chapter, and I think your list makes a lot of sense.

actually it doesn't works for anybody i think.

for me a still rolling list could be:

- win a pvp match with at min 8 medals or the weekly

- win a gsf match or the weekly

- finish a master mode chapter of kotfe/kotet

- finish the single player eternal championship

- finish any vm operations

- finish a mm flashpoints

- finish 3 mm uprisings

- finish a heroic 2 weekly

- finish a daliy area weekly

- does the rail pve gsf has a weekly? if yes, add this here, too.

but i like the intention to "force" ppl into a different game part,

by offering a nice reward. we already had that with the highlighted

stuff, but during the time everybody should have tons of lvl 300 toons.

if you don't like to do that stuff: don't do it.

i didn't ran a single flashpoint, because i don't like them.

also keep calm. the majority of players doesn't need the gear,

what is no real reason, but just to say it again and they will fasten

the progress soon, like they always did. first a totally stupid grind

and after some time they are going back to a normal way. just remember

the rng start.

Attempting to get people to play content that they do not enjoy has never been a popular choice, and the devs should discontinue the practice.

Actually, it’s the opposite. Conquest, Galactic Command daily bonus, highlighted Hard Modes, the pre-KOTET Dark vs Light event ... they were all very successful in getting people to play things they don’t enjoy.

Frankly, no-one cares what you want to play. The GSFers want to GSF. I bet most of them do not want to run 4 master mode FP. So you know where you can stick your opinion. The way that mission is set up, it is designed really for different types of players to want to opt out of weeks when the quest doesn't fit into their play style, or to dabble in something new in the game. (The same reason weeklies exist in the first place). Then when quests like this come up, the GSFers can get masterwork crystals too.

To all of those who just tried GSF for the first time because of this quest: Everyone hates GSF when they first try it. All those veterans that are dominating in GSF, they hated it too at first. The nature of the GSF design makes you hate it when you first try it, but if you actually gave yourself time to learn it, for many people it becomes quite fun and is better balanced than ground PvP, not to mention quests like this one (and many conquest type goals) become part of your game routine once you have added GSF to your list.

And I agree with everyone, this quest needs a very quick fix so we can do it this week.

Actually, it’s the opposite. Conquest, Galactic Command daily bonus, highlighted Hard Modes, the pre-KOTET Dark vs Light event ... they were all very successful in getting people to play things they don’t enjoy.

This is exactly right. I don't make the time to try something I haven't done before, but if there is an incentive big enough, yeah I'll try anything.

How has this thread got to 5 pages, yet no-one from BW has officially responded about a fix (or more likely a "tough luck this week answer)?

You can either do what they offer in the game, or choose not to do it. They have proven they care not what the players want/don't want.

Except, you know, pvp was uninteresting and unbalanced for the majority of JTL's life span (played from beta of SWG to its sunset and beta tested JtL and GSF, and I was an impassioned advocate for both.) There's room to add features to GSF, no doubt about that, and there is a lot I wish GSF had that was in JtL. But the scope of the GSF mini game is far less ambitious than JtL was, and the design of JtL as open space was built from the open world of the ground, whereas the design of GSF is more akin to warzones. They're not going to invest resources to expand its scope until they get more people invested into it. Just like it took nearly 8 years before we had custom pvp matches and a pvp-enabled stronghold.

I've been to Bioware Austin, and I've talked with Bret Hoffman in person and on the forums. These devs do play GSF. The problem is getting a wider base interested in it. There's only a small piece of folks who will be co-interested in a ground, ability-based, MMO and a space simulator.

GSF doesn’t even have joystick support without adding a pile of 3rd party software mods, SWG had this with JTL in November 2004. 15 years on and we don’t even get joystick support please stop trying to convince me that GSF is worth playing.