Player Request: Free the Weapons!

Forisu

So, as you can see from the front page... the advertisement for the cartel packs, shows a Bounty Hunter, using a rifle.

See here: https://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20190103

Wouldn't that be cool?!

You know what you be great?

If as a ranged class, you could use any ranged weapon....

Example:

Bounty Hunters could use rifles, heavy cannon, pistols, whatever.

As a melee class, you could use any weapon.

Guardian / Juggernaut could use a Double Bladed Lightsaber, or Two sabers.

A shadow / assassin could use a single blade....

So, as you can see from the front page... the advertisement for the cartel packs, shows a Bounty Hunter, using a rifle.

Wouldn't that be cool?!

Example:

Considering that all but one of the bounty hunters in the movies used rifles or carbines, I have always wondered why the PT didn't use the rifles and the Merc's use the pistols.

Wouldn't that be cool?!

Example:

I've always wanted this, I don't see why your class should limit which weapons you can use, I get that some abilities were designed with certain weapons in mind, but it couldn't be all that huge a job to repurpose certain animations/abilities to be usable by all weapons. But sadly, I doubt the devs will ever be bothered with this, they can barely do main content anymore never mind luxuries.

I hate having to decide what type of lightsaber/how many I want my toon to use right at the start then be locked into that choice for GOOD. I also hate how on Agents/Troopers there is no option to equip a pistol to stop my character using that god awful looking stock pistol in cutscenes. All my CM pistols I could have my toons using and they stick me with something that looks like crap with no option to change it.

Edited by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Well, we all knew its never happen sinec the game is running up to 8 years old game.

Anyway, I really pissed that Inq Sorc CAN NOT use dualsaber, I just want it for cosmetic look LOL...and still piss about it after 7 years.....

All I've ever wanted is for my assassin tank to be able to dual wield 2 1h sabers.

Using a single 1h would be acceptable as well.

Assassin has been my main forever, love the playstyle, only thing I don't like about it however, is I hate electro staves and double-bladed lightsabers.

Wouldn't that be cool?!

Example:

You see a bounty hunter using a rifle. I see a Trooper or Agent wearing adaptive armor.

Considering that all but one of the bounty hunters in the movies used rifles or carbines, I have always wondered why the PT didn't use the rifles and the Merc's use the pistols.

Right?

I prefer rifles over heavies or pistols, but commandos and bounty hunters can't use them?

Ugh

All I've ever wanted is for my assassin tank to be able to dual wield 2 1h sabers.

Assassin has been my main forever, love the playstyle, only thing I don't like about it however, is I hate electro staves and double-bladed lightsabers.

Same, I'd be a shadow / assassin with a single blade

I don't hate double-bladed lightsabers, but like you, Assassin/Shadow is my favorite playstyle but I really want to use a single bladed lightsaber.

Which is why I made a new Knight, just to get the 1 handed saber. Would really love my Consular to have it though.

Wouldn't that be cool?!

Example:

If BW tried to implement this, it would literally break the game. After the patch was deployed, you wouldn't be able to play any class due to the bugs it would create.

Though it might carry similar risks, the closest customization option for combat I think may be possible is using opposite faction animations based on Dark/Light alignment. For example, you can choose to channel lightning instead of the standard Sage ability if you reach a certain Dark alignment as an option. Or you could use Guardian abilities on a Juggernaut. The appeal would mostly be for Force users.

I still think that would also probably break the game, however.

So, I'd just like BW to stick to making decent updates, even if it means less of them, that have less bugs in them than 5.x generally has seen, like we had back in the 2.x days. The ones that got into patches got fixed quickly back then, too.

Can you imagine what a ****show a patch like Oricon's would be these days? It added 2 full Operations, a nice daily area, revamped ranked PVP with arenas, and other changes as well.

Even if they wanted to implement weapons as you're suggesting, BW's team can't do it.

Edited by arunav

I don't hate double-bladed lightsabers, but like you, Assassin/Shadow is my favorite playstyle but I really want to use a single bladed lightsaber.

Which is why I made a new Knight, just to get the 1 handed saber. Would really love my Consular to have it though.

I'm with you. I don't mind the double-bladed lightsaber but a single hilt would be preferable as it is more iconic. It's all a form of expression anyway and considering the game's legacy (kotor) it's strange that the type of lightsaber you use is determined by your class. You could specialize to be a dual-wielding jedi consular in kotor if you wanted to. At least we can be happy that blue crystals are not tied to light side and red crystals tied to dark side like it was during the beta weekends.

Commandos *can* use plain rifles, but there are some abilities (important ones) that don't work if you aren't using an HBG.

Just fixing this issue and let them use blaster rifles for all abilities would be a huge step forward...

I hate having to decide what type of lightsaber/how many I want my toon to use right at the start then be locked into that choice for GOOD.

Game was a hard port of World of Warcraft to space theme.

That's the way weapons worked in WoW, that's the way weapons work in SWTOR.

Was a real hit and miss designing a lot of the base gameplay of this game. If you can call cloning another game "designing."

Star Wars Galaxies launched with a built your own class. specialize weapons any way you want

Knights of the Old Republic let you distribute points anyway you saw fit within the d20 pen and paper rule system it used.

Word of Warcraft has this class locked to specific weapon system, no customization system that SWTOR copied.

Old Republic Online should have built it's own system more tuned to the weapons found in the star wars galaxy and not cloned a combat system from a high fantasy sword and sorcery game. An ability called "Snipe" that only has a range of 30 meters, is supremely laughable.

Edited by Falensawino

I have huge doubts about this happening, but one never knows for sure if they don't try to raise awareness of the idea. So I wholly support this idea. Same goes for the Force sensitive classes. Let us use whatever types of lightsabers we want on Jedi, let us have Guardians with saberstaves and dual-wielding Sages.

I wish they would add more class varients under the existing class stories, I'm not a fan of the D-B Lightsaber either, would rather play 1-handed melee Consular.

I'd love it if my Scoundrel and Operative, which are both melee classes, could main-hand a melee weapon instead of running around with a blaster/rifle in hand that is pretty much useless beyond 10m. Their ranged abilities should have been tied to their off-hand and their main-hand should have been vibrosword/techblade.

I have huge doubts about this happening, but one never knows for sure if they don't try to raise awareness of the idea. So I wholly support this idea. Same goes for the Force sensitive classes. Let us use whatever types of lightsabers we want on Jedi, let us have Guardians with saberstaves and dual-wielding Sages.

Just reading your comment also made me think, how have they STILL not added an animation for taking out BOTH lightsabers to prepare for battle in cutscenes!?! It bugs the crap out of me that my dual wielders, both with lightsabers and pistols, only ever draw ONE in cutscenes. How hard could making an animation for drawing both really be? They went and made Malgus a flashy animation for igniting his saber on Ossus I noticed (When you defeat Gnost-Dural, he holds his saber in front of him and ignites it, I've certainly never seen anyone else do that). But yet once again the PC gets the shaft.

Why is all the attention by the devs paid to making everyone ELSE look special and unique, while we stay as boring as we were leaving our starter planet.. GIVE US SOME FREAKING CUSTOM ANIMATIONS FFS!! MAKE US LOOK POWERFUL FOR ONCE!

Edited by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Just reading your comment also made me think, how have they STILL not added an animation for taking out BOTH lightsabers to prepare for battle in cutscenes!?! It bugs the crap out of me that my dual wielders, both with lightsabers and pistols, only ever draw ONE in cutscenes. How hard could making an animation for drawing both really be? They went and made Malgus a flashy animation for igniting his saber on Ossus I noticed (When you defeat Gnost-Dural, he holds his saber in front of him and ignites it, I've certainly never seen anyone else do that). But yet once again the PC gets the shaft.

Why is all the attention by the devs paid to making everyone ELSE look special and unique, while we stay as boring as we were leaving our starter planet.. GIVE US SOME FREAKING CUSTOM ANIMATIONS FFS!! MAKE US LOOK POWERFUL FOR ONCE!

For the same reason that:

* Shadows and Assassins sometimes hold their dualsabres as if they are singlesabres in cinematics

* Commandos and Vanguards both use an anonymous pistol in cutscenes after Ord Mantell

* Snipers and Operatives both use an anonymous pistol in cutscenes after Hutta

* All Force User classes have weird issues in cutscenes when using back-carry weapons

* (For a long while after 4.0) Commandos used an invisible rifle in the cutscene where spoiler spoiler spoiler near the end of Ord Mantell.

In all cases, it's because there is one animation script per "base" class for each cinematic, so it has to be generic. Yes, there are some where Shadows and Assassins hold their dualsabres properly, but they are the newer ones.