Romance/companions and LGBTQ+ 🌈

Eshvara

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You basically ignored all of the above, except where you misunderstood entirely what I said and continued from there. You kept continuing to misunderstand my every post and then in the end ask me if I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. Which is just leaving me rather confused.

Ok. No, I do not find it ridickilous if there's be more pvp/pve endgame threads. That content brings the most replayability to the game. Story and romance is a niche single player orientated content type. Most players play story modes in their multiplayer games trough once, and then que to WZs and operations a thousand times over.

It's nice for everyone to get a taste of what they like or enjoy. However, I think that soon romance of any kind will take a definite back burner or disappear completely from the game. It's simply not cost effective anymore. I believe BW was sending a not so subtle message when they started the whole kill, imprison, exile options. We may see something small with those who are yet to return, but after that, I'll count myself damned lucky if I get a letter once or twice a year.

Β 

The thing with Lana, Theron, and Koth was that the storyline centered around just 3 companions rather than nineteen vanilla love interests. Even those that wanted some love from Arcann got a 2-minute cut scene and poof, he's gone from the story.

Β 

I fully expect all love interests to be bricked eventually and become nothing more than battle buddies or pets. BW simply doesn't have the funds to continue with the diversity of romance, plus game story, plus pve, plus pvp, etc. Something had to give and love interests will be the sacrifice.

Β 

I'd love to be proven wrong. More SGR and straight romance would be nice, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Β 

Peace.

Ok. No, I do not find it ridickilous if there's be more pvp/pve endgame threads. That content brings the most replayability to the game. Story and romance is a niche single player orientated content type. Most players play story modes in their multiplayer games trough once, and then que to WZs and operations a thousand times over.

Β 

I cant' say what most players want as I don't remember there being any information that available for us to see!

I myself have replayed story more than once because it's very enjoyable. I do understand that there may be a lot of people that just aren't into that. I can only speak for myself.

Not sure what else to add to it, but it's nice to see what you exactly mean so thanks for that. Even if I don't find myself agreeing with you.

:)

What do you feel like the LGBT+ community really needs in terms of romance in swtor?

For me at least as a Bisexual female, I'd like there to be a more feminine F/F romance, but generally F/F is just way too underrepresented. I think in the podcast they mentioned a Droid romance? ;/

I find it kind of blah to think that that is their next priority rather than SGR.

I know they added Nadia and Jaesa and I'm sure we also know what the problem is with those characters.

Β 

Thoughts?

Β 

My perspective as a lesbian.

Β 

Kaliyo would have been good till they added in during her return that she didn’t swing that way. Up until then it was still plausible.

Β 

I’d like to see new characters or comps. But at this stage in most people’s story they have already fully romanced someone. So unless they bring in the ability to have more than one partner, adding many more will only benefit those who start new Alts.

Ideally, if that is their target audience they need to add some small changes into the vanilla story too.

Β 

Adopting or having children (from partner) could be a next step. But do we really want to go down that rabbit hole.

I'd be very displeased to be stuck with Doc and Rusk and not see Theron for instance.

Β 

Well that was the or something to that effect part. It's not a fully fleshed out idea. But basically they need to cut down on the variables. There's too many variables and that's why they get bricked. If they're done with a character it should be definite. None of this dead for some, alive for others stuff because it doesn't work. That creates too many variables. That and some are back and some aren't. Get them all back, whittle them down if need be character growth wise, but make it a finite selection before adding on. I think they tried that when they took all companions away in 4.0, but the nuclear approach didn't go over well at all with anyone. They really screwed the pooch.

Id be okay if they ditched or kept minimal romances moving forward but had character interactions based on your choices in the chapters.

Β 

More "meet me in the cantina / war room / ship" type conversations. So many companions that our characters have barely conversed with outside a chapter but are critical to the alliance. Build more on that instead of more space hookups, marriages, flirting, etc of any orientation...

Edited by azudelphi

I cant' say what most players want as I don't remember there being any information that available for us to see!

I myself have replayed story more than once because it's very enjoyable. I do understand that there may be a lot of people that just aren't into that. I can only speak for myself.

Not sure what else to add to it, but it's nice to see what you exactly mean so thanks for that. Even if I don't find myself agreeing with you.

:)

I don't know how many MMOs or multiplayer games you have played in your life, but this is sort of the point of multiplayer games... unless it was a singleplayer game to begin with with multiplayer just added to the side. Should have figured this out by now if you have... Plenty of lectures online about MMOs and multiplayer game philosophy and stats by devs from conventions as well if you haven't :p

I don't know how many MMOs or multiplayer games you have played in your life, but this is sort of the point of multiplayer games... unless it was a singleplayer game to begin with with multiplayer just added to the side. Should have figured this out by now if you have... Plenty of lectures online about MMOs and multiplayer game philosophy and stats by devs from conventions as well if you haven't :p

Β 

Ahahahaha, I have! I'm very much active in WoW right now and having a blast. But that aside, this game and even wow offer both kinds. You can play alone or play with others. There is no "set" way how to play anything.

While in WoW I certainly do group, in SWTOR I enjoy the solo aspect more. There are more variations to playing the game for a reason. There is demand for it. :)

It's nice for everyone to get a taste of what they like or enjoy. However, I think that soon romance of any kind will take a definite back burner or disappear completely from the game. It's simply not cost effective anymore. I believe BW was sending a not so subtle message when they started the whole kill, imprison, exile options. We may see something small with those who are yet to return, but after that, I'll count myself damned lucky if I get a letter once or twice a year.

Β 

The thing with Lana, Theron, and Koth was that the storyline centered around just 3 companions rather than nineteen vanilla love interests. Even those that wanted some love from Arcann got a 2-minute cut scene and poof, he's gone from the story.

Β 

I fully expect all love interests to be bricked eventually and become nothing more than battle buddies or pets. BW simply doesn't have the funds to continue with the diversity of romance, plus game story, plus pve, plus pvp, etc. Something had to give and love interests will be the sacrifice.

Β 

I'd love to be proven wrong. More SGR and straight romance would be nice, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Β 

Peace.

Β 

If they do that it will be the end of the game for me.

Β 

No I am not ashamed to admit a big part of why I play bioware rpgs over others is the romances adding a little extra spice to them for me. I also enjoy reading romance novels, I am not sorry.

Β 

I also very much enjoy the friendship with other companions, namely many of those from the vanillla class stories.

Β 

Without these things there would be no interest in continued game play for me. Further story would feel bland and un interesting without any LI involvement. One of my favourite parts of the entire game so far has been Therons traitor arc on my Theronmancers, it was fantastic, well done and perfectly angsty with an awesome reunion. Incorperating fav LIs into story like that is why I love playing these games and why I love the stories.

Β 

Theron is one of the reasons why SOR is my fav expansion. Lack of any past LI content at all is why I don't enjoy it so much on other characters and why I completely ignore Makebs existence.

Β 

No ones game play and enjoyment is invalid and wiping one in favour of others would definitely see to it more players would leave.

Edited by Suzsi

Ahahahaha, I have! I'm very much active in WoW right now and having a blast. But that aside, this game and even wow offer both kinds. You can play alone or play with others. There is no "set" way how to play anything.

While in WoW I certainly do group, in SWTOR I enjoy the solo aspect more. There are more variations to playing the game for a reason. There is demand for it. :)

I'm sure that comes from the original BW staff creation, the lvling experience was made very enjoyable for multiple plays thanks to 8 different stories. But when you get past the lvling experience to endgame, the solo daily grind is the same exact experience in WOW as it is in SWTOR. Having a romances or not doesn't really have anything to do with that.

Β 

We have mad amounts of romances already, and they're good. This isn't a dating sim, there just happens to be flirts and fade-to-blacks added to the story, it was never the main attraction. I'm sure it is for some -since there is so many people who seem to live and breathe companion romances here- but again, it's a fun side attraction, nothing more. At the end of the day there is more WZ, ops and FPs being completed than new characters being made to rewatch those 2 minutes of steamy virtual kisses.

I'm sure that comes from the original BW staff creation, the lvling experience was made very enjoyable for multiple plays thanks to 8 different stories. But when you get past the lvling experience to endgame, the solo daily grind is the same exact experience in WOW as it is in SWTOR. Having a romances or not doesn't really have anything to do with that.

Β 

We have mad amounts of romances already, and they're good. This isn't a dating sim, there just happens to be flirts and fade-to-blacks added to the story, it was never the main attraction. I'm sure it is for some -since there is so many people who seem to live and breathe companion romances here- but again, it's a fun side attraction, nothing more. At the end of the day there is more WZ, ops and FPs being completed than new characters being made to rewatch those 2 minutes of steamy virtual kisses.

Β 

You're no more right or wrong than I am. You find it close to irrelevant, I find it fun and important. Does my life depend on it? Nope! But it's def one of the main attractions for me towards SWTOR and BW games in general.

Β 

Β 

If that's true when then are the starter planets often times more populated then any others at any given time?

Β 

Oh wait.. Because lots of people love alts!

Β 

There are a lot of people who replay the stories multiple times. There are a lot of people who have done all 8 class stories (just hover over and see how many have that legendary flag).

Β 

It's more then a fun side attraction for many players. Pretending it's not wouldn't be a smart move on biowares part imo.

Β 

There are many people, myself included who have never touched an operation or HM flashpoint.

Edited by Suzsi

You're no more right or wrong than I am. You find it close to irrelevant, I find it fun and important. Does my life depend on it? Nope! But it's def one of the main attractions for me towards SWTOR and BW games in general.

I'm old school BW fan, I loved their complex story crafting from Baldurs gate to SW to DA to ME and so on... and after Andromeda and Inquisition I am prositive the games are becoming just glorified dating sims. The story was simplified so much to the point there was more written companion conversations in those than actual game plot. And I don't want that to happen to SWTOR too.

I like romances, they're fun. But I would never ever want them to outshine main plot.

Edited by Kiesu

This might sound weird, but i actually agree with Eshvara on this one. Reason? One of my characters ( won't mention class, species or things like that) has strong feelings for a certain companion and wants more than a friendship. One thing i can mention - my character misses his best friend a lot and would like a chance to talk about what sort of relationship they might have.

I'm old school BW fan, I loved their complex story crafting from Baldurs gate to SW to DA to ME and so on... and after Andromeda and Inquisition I am prositive the games are becoming just glorified dating sims. The story was simplified so much to the point there was more written companion conversations in those than actual game plot. And I don't want that to happen to SWTOR too.

I like romances, they're fun. But I would never ever want them to outshine pain plot.

Β 

Ahhhh, I see! Well if we both agree on something is that we both love art! :D Beyond that, no idea!:rak_03:

I'm glad they made Jaesa bisexual, but my Sith Warrior is married to Quinn and Jaesa (to me personally) came out of left field saying she loves me. I could understand during our Vanilla time together, but by Ossus she hasn't seen me for almost 8 years and suddenly spouts out love? Does no one in the galaxy know I'm already taken? The only time it's mentioned is during KOTFE, KOTET, or when you break up with Lana or Theron. Otherwise, everyone is so surprised. I thought I was this big to do person (I can see my JK having people be surprised she got married), but not everyone else. And especially not Jaesa who was on my ship when I married Quinn.

Β 

I think flags should be a tad more detailed. They are getting there and I enjoy that.

I like romances, they're fun. But I would never ever want them to outshine pain plot.

Β 

Different strokes.

Β 

Inquisition was an amazing game. My favourite out of ALL of the bioware games so far. The story was great, the characters were fantastic and the romances the best ever so far. I am looking forward to seeing what the DA team does next.

Β 

Andromeda, I really enjoyed the story, the game play and the amazing scenery. The romances on the other hand where meh and extremely lack luster, especially for a straight female. Thats effected the replay ability of the game for me. Cora seems to be the only decently handled romance in the game, great if your a straight guy I guess.

I agree!

Β 

It's gotten to the point where romance drives the stories more than the story does. Why did Theron or Lana need to be romanceable at all? Why can't we just have a working relationship with our companions, and stories, and skip all the sexual stuff?

Β 

You can. Just don't flirt with them.

I'm all for more F/F content even though I prefer F/M and M/M. Variety is good! And I like flirting! I thought they did a good job with Khem's romance even though I'd be shocked if that gets followed up with more content.

Β 

The SWTOR forums are getting more romance threads than Renpy dating-sim-game forums at this point.

It is getting a bit ridiculous.

Β 

There just isn't that much worth talking about most days. When something pops up that is worth talking about, people talk about it, and in the mean time we fill in the void talking about companions.

Β 

I like companions. i like how they enhance the story and I play alts specifically so I can see the differences in their interactions. Until they fix the bricking situation the problems will continue. .

Β 

This is the way I feel. I like a lot of our companions, romanced or not. Some who can be romanced, I prefer as non-romanced. I want to spend more time with many of them that I probably never will. I miss having companion quests and I miss having a choice over which companions to use.

Β 

Β 

There is no one model of MMO design. There is no one point of multiplayers games. A lot of those lectures about MMOS talk about how prevalent and important solo play in a multiplayer game is. And I'm pretty sure this one was designed from the ground up to heavily focus on the single player story. KotOR 3, if you will. Consider this a hybrid game if it makes you feel better.

Β 

Based on my 19 years of playing numerous MMOs, I'd have to say the point of an MMO is chatting with friends in town since that is central to most, and something I can do just fine in this one :rolleyes:

And I get that--I'll never say BW cannot or should not convert all LIs to SGR. I get that it would be fairer to players overall if all romances were SGR, but speaking for just myself, my own personal preference, I don't want a world, even just a fantasy world, where I can have whoever I choose because there is no LI companion that'll ever say "I'm not into women" or whichever. I love Cytharat, I would have enjoyed having his flirts, but I also like his individuality in that he's not for everyone.

Β 

It would've been nice if they'd give us flirt options that could be rejected, as I don't recall having a flirt option for Cytharat.