Any forum posters that are "gone" that you miss having around here?

Eshvara

Breaks are often good! Nothing wrong with playing other games / enjoying other things when there is a content drought or real life demands take hold.

With that said, the devilish cynic in me thinks that some of the names listed in this thread aren't really gone. It is amazing how similar posting styles and subjects catch my eye. Far worse on Reddit, but it's pretty obvious here too.

<<insert X-Files theme>> :rak_03:

Dasty

The healthiest thing an MMO player can do is to take a break when frustrated or burned out. If they wait too long.. they get so frustrated and burned out they never come back. So best to take a break early, and come back later on refreshed. This applies both in game as well as in forum. I have done this myself in every MMO I have played over the last two decades... so I know from experience it's healthy and productive for most people to take a break.

I've been active most of the last 7 years.. both in game and in forum. This forum is extremely tame compared to the first year or two. It was seriously over-run with toxicity in the first year as people gobbled up the release and then got frustrated that there was suddenly "nothing to do". Similar in the second year.. after they changed to a flexible access model... with much toxicity over them not keeping it sub-only.

By the end of year three.. this forum had settled down a lot, and has continued to do so as the more extreme players move on to troll some other MMO forum. We have fewer new threads.. but those that we do have are generally more productive and promote actual discussion about the game rather then food fights. The aggregate maturity level of discussion has generally improved over time as well. We certainly are never going to just agree as players on any given topic.. because player preference and wants/needs is very broad in any MMO. Consensus is generally uncommon in gaming forums... other then on the very popular "studio sucks!" or "studio is stupid" meta-themes some players seem to love to consume and vomit back out.

There are some players I miss, on both sides of the average narrative in discussions (I actually respect good healthy objective disagreement), but I am not going to name them..... because while benign as Eshvara's effort here is.. and I applaud it... eventually this is going to break down into some food fight over some name mentioned by someone. :) At least one poster here has already stated temptation to name people they wish were gone.. so you can see where this might go over the coming days.

There are fewer posts these days, but they are generally more productive and constructive overall. Hence.. the current active forum membership is a reflection of a more mature and thoughtful discourse overall. That is a good thing. The forum is mostly read and not posted on. So you cannot judge forum activity and health by number of threads or posts within a thread. On average a thread topic sees 20-25 times more reads then actual posts.. and this cannot be accounted for by just assuming multiple reads per poster either.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some players I miss, on both sides of the average narrative in discussions (I actually respect good healthy objective disagreement), but I am not going to name them..... because while benign as Eshvara's effort here is.. and I applaud it... eventually this is going to break down into some food fight over some name mentioned by someone. :) At least one poster here has already stated temptation to name people they wish were gone.. so you can see where this might go over the coming days.

I thought of that as well, while I was making this thread, maybe you could say it wasn't a wise choice to go on ahead with it anyway. I guess it was nice to see others appreciate/miss others or the time that "once was" over here.

I hope it doesn't go sour, but it certainly is possible. If it does, then I don't fault any mod wanting to close this thread, naturally.

:)

I thought of that as well, while I was making this thread, maybe you could say it wasn't a wise choice to go on ahead with it anyway. I guess it was nice to see others appreciate/miss others or the time that "once was" over here.

I hope it doesn't go sour, but it certainly is possible. If it does, then I don't fault any mod wanting to close this thread, naturally.

:)

Yeah.. your intentions were all positive for sure. And it is not your fault if someone decides to come in and hijack the thread to cast pejoratives. That is always a risk with any thread. :)

If someone does try to derail the thread into the ToS ditch... just report them. Don't let them hijack your thread. The reason I will not give specific names is because I continue to be a target by some forum members and I don't want to give them low hanging fruit to disrupt your thread, so I'll just keep my comments general in nature here. :)

Yeah.. your intentions were all positive for sure. And it is not your fault if someone decides to come in and hijack the thread to cast pejoratives. That is always a risk with any thread. :)

If someone does try to derail the thread into the ToS ditch... just report them. Don't let them hijack your thread. The reason I will not give specific names is because I continue to be a target by some forum members and I don't want to give them low hanging fruit to disrupt your thread, so I'll just keep my comments general in nature here. :)

Makes perfect sense, Andryah! :)

With that said, the devilish cynic in me thinks that some of the names listed in this thread aren't really gone. It is amazing how similar posting styles and subjects catch my eye.

That reminds me of another classic forumer way back in the days. I forgot his name. He was... let's say, a vivid complainer about certain topics, bringing them up and up again. I don't remember what it was. I think he used a Kaleesh avatar. He eventually left. And some months later, the same topics came up again with the same arguments and the same writing style - but by a different forumer. People quickly found out that it was the Kaleesh-guy. Ever since, he seems gone for good. This must have been in 2012 or 2013, I guess.

At least one poster here has already stated temptation to name people they wish were gone.. so you can see where this might go over the coming days.

It's not going anywhere, even if you try to provoke it:

Please stop derailing this positive thread, thank you.

I miss Darth Wicked, the king of lore monkeys.(

Yes, Wicked! That was the Darth I mentioned earlier in this thread. Glad to know the name again. It was bugging me yesterday. ;)

And I remembered the one and only true hero of this (and all) MMOs, albeit I - again - don't remember his name (but I'm sure someone will be able to name him). It's the no. 1 MMO legend, Sir Something Something who always started his long, to me very funny, posts with introductions like "I am Sir XYZ. I am a gaming legend since 19XX. I was part of the group that killed Lord British in UO during beta. In XYZ I was the first who solo'd a 24 players OPs. Without armor." I think that the heavy decline in player numbers is because this legend left this game and his many thousands followers followed him to wherever he went next. Maybe Wild Star? :p

LordArtemis. He had some amazing ideas, many of which BW ended up using, like the Heroics Terminal and marking Heroics questgivers so players could tell at a glance that x person is giving a heroics quest. His personality was awkwardly self-effacing but I think the suggestions made up for his shortcomings.

Seelvir: Met him, another guy with remarkable ideas, particularly his reimagined view of the Ashara Alliance Alert. When reading these forums, I rarely get a sense that there are PhD-level intelligences commenting [which confirms my prejudices about this IP] but Seelvir was a notable exception. He was not kind to people who disagreed with him, but again, I figure the trade-off was worth it. If he had a blog, I'd read it.

BobfredJohn: Only found in The Weird People You Meet in GF thread. He met so many bizarrely incompetent people that I think many posters had begun to suspect he was making them up. He may well have been, but his stories were brilliantly told, and I don't care if they were real or not. He left between the time period that the trinity system became restricted to certain game modes and many FPs becoming soloable.

Max_Killjoy and CrutchCricket: I just found their posts entertaining. Part of me thinks their style is so similar that maybe...Cricket was particularly enjoyable when going after the various curmudgeons on these forums, but was also a nice guy who welcomed me when I first subbed.

Darth Moonshadow: I'm not 100% certain but I think this is the same guy who was active on the SA forum and along with a number of others wrote an LP to swtor's vanilla stories that was deliciously good. Find it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504077

I miss Darth Wicked, the king of lore monkeys.

I miss Ixum and his sexy photoshops.

I miss bright_ephemera and the Forced Companions Daycare.

Kabone and her beautiful art as already mentioned. I particularly enjoyed her chibis. Maybe she will come back when Scourge does!

Crezelle and her fascination with Chiss and Vector fangirling.

DomiSotto, the sane Zenith fangirl.

And many, many more :(

I've started reading FCD on this recommendation and both it and Kabone's illustrations are fantastic.

Is this a Force trick? Honestly I thought I'm like the only Zenith fan around here :p On topic : nope, I don't miss anyone, I'm fairly new to this game and haven't made any friends.

The 'sane Zenith fan' is an oblique reference to another poster [not Domi] who was definitely not sane and was indefinitely banned some time ago.

That reminds me of another classic forumer way back in the days. I forgot his name. He was... let's say, a vivid complainer about certain topics, bringing them up and up again. I don't remember what it was. I think he used a Kaleesh avatar. He eventually left. And some months later, the same topics came up again with the same arguments and the same writing style - but by a different forumer. People quickly found out that it was the Kaleesh-guy. Ever since, he seems gone for good. This must have been in 2012 or 2013, I guess.

I thought this referred to MadCuzBad and even went looking for the original thread, but I guess not. Talon_strikes uses the kaleesh avatar but doesn't fit the character sketch you've made.

Yes, Wicked! That was the Darth I mentioned earlier in this thread. Glad to know the name again. It was bugging me yesterday. ;)

DarthWicked was on my shortlist when I saw this thread, though I never interacted with him. He had a very inventive Valkorian/vitiate/Revan theory involving the gibberish the Rakatan in The Thing That Czerka Found says. which I thought was a missed opportunity for BW.

And I remembered the one and only true hero of this (and all) MMOs, albeit I - again - don't remember his name (but I'm sure someone will be able to name him). It's the no. 1 MMO legend, Sir Something Something who always started his long, to me very funny, posts with introductions like "I am Sir XYZ. I am a gaming legend since 19XX. I was part of the group that killed Lord British in UO during beta. In XYZ I was the first who solo'd a 24 players OPs. Without armor." I think that the heavy decline in player numbers is because this legend left this game and his many thousands followers followed him to wherever he went next. Maybe Wild Star? :p

SirCopperfield. I saw him a few times in-game, but nothing since the last merger.

Edited by Ardrossan

I miss the Old Witch, who suddenly disappeared from the forums. At the risk of sounding morbid, I occasionally wonder when people just suddenly drop out of forums (and games) if they are OK in real life. I probably would not have pondered this too much, except for the real-life loss of gaming friends in other games over the years.

Let's toast all of the once-active forum posters, and wish them good health and long lives.

Too all forum posters, past and present!

Cheers

If you mean the same poster I'm thinking of, I miss her, too. Based on her last forum post, it sounds like she left out of frustration with the game rather than a real-life problem:

Since the merge...I've absented myself. I got frustrated for numerous reasons that I won't bore anyone with and decided it was time to take my very tattered FanGranny Card and take a break.

I've been a dedicated BW fan since, well, the was a BW. No one could tell a story and draw me in like they could. It has been many, many years of enjoyment and I got royally spoilt. But lately? Well, suffice it to say that the choices made and directions taken have made me sad. I'm not going to flounce or whinge, just quietly fade away.

Having read about the latest debacles (both small and large) I find myself with no desire to log in. None. It's as if they have some kind of subconscious death wish that keeps raising its head and causing them to make really, really poor choices. Or maybe that's just me making excuses, matters not. End result = same.

I'm keeping my stuff in the hope that something will wake them the hell up and I can, once again, be a FanGranny. I miss what it was, so much and hope that it can, again, be.

But I know what you mean about worrying about posters who suddenly disappear from the forums. Good health and long lives to everyone!

Here's a blast from the past: I miss FeralPug (Jerc), a PVPer who used the sig "Social 1, Valor 100." His perspective on the game was obviously very different from mine; I've PVPed just enough to get to Valor 5 for the DvL event, and that's it. However, he had an entertaining posting style, and I really admired all the effort he put into organizing PVP events on Ebon Hawk. I believe he was also the player representative for Powertechs during that short-lived experiment.

I miss them all, but there's a special place in my heart for Ikinai - her humor and wit is unmatched and reading her replies ALWAYS brought a smile to my face. But...I miss all of the people who have left...they ALL contributed to this community and our understanding of different styles of play.

Ahhh yes, DieAlteHexe...

Yes that's her

Based on her last forum post, it sounds like she left out of frustration with the game rather than a real-life problem

Thanks for that - maybe we will see her back one day?

But I know what you mean about worrying about posters who suddenly disappear from the forums. Good health and long lives to everyone!

Yes, indeed!

The 'sane Zenith fan' is an oblique reference to another poster [not Domi] who was definitely not sane and was indefinitely banned some time ago..

Sorry if my joke offended anyone, it wasn't my intention. As a matter of fact, I do not know any Zenith fans, sane or insane. By the way, I am the insane Risha fan ! ( kidding again, I'm aware this is only a game and the comps are just strings of 01's).

On topic now, does anyone know anything about Paul Sutherland? Is he OK? I am a bit worried.

Alec since they addead Real Traditional Jedi Robes.

:tran_grin:

That made me laugh, although we are still occasionally plagued by Tracer Missile Guy, in all his various incarnations.

I do wonder about the similarity between him and the one who's recently been moaning about Mag Shot and Rail Shot.

And I haven't seen Ratajack recently. I guess he got demoralised when they introduced his bête noire, legacy credit storage...

I've never played D&D before, but it sounds like a lot of fun so that's great! :)

Ahhh, right!! Well, if you somehow don't sub and wont be around during the holidays, I wish you happy very early holidays!! :D And if you do sub, I guess I'll see you around here.:)

Absolutely loving my Operative right now, so have subbed while I get him up to spec. Will probably take a while as I have pretty much only played my Sage over the last year or so and I want my operative to be similarly geared etc.

Downside - lots of Alliance Alerts to run through.

All The Best

Absolutely loving my Operative right now, so have subbed while I get him up to spec. Will probably take a while as I have pretty much only played my Sage over the last year or so and I want my operative to be similarly geared etc.

Downside - lots of Alliance Alerts to run through.

All The Best

Ahhhh, yey! That's great, Spuds! :D I never did all of my alliance alerts...heh

.:rak_03::D

I saw this thread, figured I couldn't remember a single person's name that I missed, but reading through this, they're coming back to me. :p PennyAnn always had great posts. Codedrago rings a bell too, I think. Paulsutherland was great and funny. BobFredJohn had the best posts in weird people you meet in group finder. :D

I also miss that one guy years back who made the occasional thread criticizing people who attack others in warzone chat even though the response you usually got was getting ridiculed for being too sensitive. I don't remember his name though. :(

Aaand I miss GeorgeMattson and DainjaMouz, we had all sorts of ambitions about a pvp guild yeeeears back. I don't know if they still remember me. Might be better if they don't. I was a dumb teen back then, and probably said all sorts of dumb stuff and got into arguments with people. :rak_03: Thankfully I'm now a dumb young adult, saying all sorts of dumb stuff and getting into arguments! (Okay, not lately. I'd need to actually post in order to get into arguments!)

And. Umh. Is Asmodesu still around? She was one of those people I thought was really cool, so naturally I didn't talk to her much because I have stupid social anxiety, always assume everyone hates me unless they state otherwise and cool people are scary. :p

Edited by Seireeni

I was disappointed that Crezelle didn't return for Vector's reunion. I just remember how much she loved Vector and would write fun posts about him, including little poems and songs. She was a riot. Though honestly if she came back just for the reunion, she probably would have been just as disappointed as the rest of us have been.

• 2 weeks later...