The "My Commander Won't Go Back To A Follower" Argument Debunked

Ylliarus

I will say this if Bioware forces our characters to become a follower again they will lose many subs. No one wants that and I wont pay for it, and some of my friends already said they want to go back to ESO so, people are already getting ready to quit over it. If Bioware wants to keep players they will keep the Alliance and restore some of its power to make it a worthy 3rd faction.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say this if Bioware forces our characters to become a follower again they will lose many subs. No one wants that and I wont pay for it, and some of my friends already said they want to go back to ESO so, people are already getting ready to quit over it. If Bioware wants to keep players they will keep the Alliance and restore some of its power to make it a worthy 3rd faction.

Its a done deal, I do not know how they intend to end the Alliance or how well it is written but its already decided that it is gone, the livestream was clear enough on that.

I have already started to think about how I will align my problem characters to this narrative and I am sure I will find a way just as I did for the FE/ET narrative. I suggest you do the same because the narrative is not going to fit your characters, you must fit the narrative, or don't.

This is how I think it will go down.

The loss of the fleet and the Gravestone will be the catalyst that starts the conversations about disbanding the alliance, we saw the beginning of that at the end of the Nathama story but it will only grow larger, the troops that make up the bulk of the alliance will question its relevancy and most will leave.

From there you are left with just your NPC's and although you are the most powerful person in the galaxy and your team is pretty powerful as well but its still just a team, its no army.

Everything else flows from there.

Its a done deal, I do not know how they intend to end the Alliance or how well it is written but its already decided that it is gone, the livestream was clear enough on that.

I have already started to think about how I will align my problem characters to this narrative and I am sure I will find a way just as I did for the FE/ET narrative. I suggest you do the same because the narrative is not going to fit your characters, you must fit the narrative, or don't.

This is how I think it will go down.

The loss of the fleet and the Gravestone will be the catalyst that starts the conversations about disbanding the alliance, we saw the beginning of that at the end of the Nathama story but it will only grow larger, the troops that make up the bulk of the alliance will question its relevancy and most will leave.

From there you are left with just your NPC's and although you are the most powerful person in the galaxy and your team is pretty powerful as well but its still just a team, its no army.

Everything else flows from there.

I am thinking you are correct about that. We will just have to see how good the story is and if the Alliance is left as a third faction. Hopefully its not rushed or left with huge plot holes like Nathema .

I am thinking you are correct about that. We will just have to see how good the story is and if the Alliance is left as a third faction. Hopefully its not rushed or left with huge plot holes like Nathema .

That's what we all hope, that no matter whether you are in favour of the Alliance being gone or against it, that the story will be well written.

No doubt Bioware will lose a few subs because of this choice, but from what I see and hear from people across the forums and media, there seems to be a lot of old subs that want to return now that the story is going back to Empire vs Republic. A lot people I used to know have come back already in preparation for Jedi Under Siege, which is really great :)

However, in this particular scenario the amount of subs would stay the same, because those who'd unsub would be supplemented by those who'd return. Ideally the new storyline would cause a growth of subs, hence why a situation where everyone gets something they like would be ideal. A 3 faction option like Aurelius has suggested several times seems like the best option, but the question is whether Bioware would have the resources to keep that up

So would there also be another possible solution that would please both sides of the issue and drive away no one that is less resource heavy on Bioware's part?

Edited by Ylliarus

Make the main 'class' story about the new imp vs pub war. Then maybe a planet story about the Alliance?

That is an interesting approach and allows for more storylines!

Yet would you see room inside that solution for those who'd want to abandon the Alliance and return to their factions to actually be able to do so?

That is an interesting approach and allows for more storylines!

Yet would you see room inside that solution for those who'd want to abandon the Alliance and return to their factions to actually be able to do so?

Maybe have a throw away line at the start of these planet stories that asks who you're fighting for, the Alliance or Imp/Pub? I don't know.

Edited by fishpeople

Only one option to make everyone happy.

Keep and rebuild the Alliance as a legitimate third faction and allow faction switching.

In the end that does seem like the best option to take, no? In a sense it could work... it would require resources but a new fleet hub could be made around Odessen, so you'd have Odessen and the nearby "Alliance Fleet". In the story you'd make a choice in 6.0 I wager, where you continue as the Alliance, return to your original faction or defect to the enemy of your original faction. The story would still consist of 2 plots, one Imp and one Rep, but you'd either be able to play through them as part of the Empire or the Republic OR as an ally of them by being the Alliance.

Edited by Ylliarus

In the end that does seem like the best option to take, no? In a sense it could work... it would require resources but a new fleet hub could be made around Odessen, so you'd have Odessen and the nearby "Alliance Fleet". In the story you'd make a choice in 6.0 I wager, where you continue as the Alliance, return to your original faction or defect to the enemy of your original faction. The story would still consist of 2 plots, one Imp and one Rep, but you'd either be able to play through them as part of the Empire or the Republic OR as an ally of them by being the Alliance.

Doesn't sound all that complicated really

But we know it is.

That seems as though it would be the best compromise. For those who choose to stay in the Alliance, they could run it like Iokath, where there could be a choice of who to support in each campaign. Or you could perhaps choose which faction you want to support permanently, and you would be more of a protector than an aggressor. In other words if you chose to support the Empire you wouldn't be knocking down Jedi bases but you could protect the Empire against superweapons or help them with intel missions.

And if a full faction switch is not possible due to game mechanics, remaining in the Alliance and supporting the other faction might satisfy those of us who really don't want certain characters returning to their home faction or feel it wouldn't work within whatever RP or world building we've done for them.

It also might assuage the concerns, at least somewhat, of those who prefer to have Lana and/or Theron as major characters in their world.

I don't see why Acina is going to be in charge of the Empire, due to the fact if you sided with the Republic on Iokath she is dead. That makes no sense whatsoever and horrible writing.

It makes no sense from a story perspective to have a leader in charge of the Empire/Republic if the other side has killed them. My Jedi sided with the Republic and watched Acina die so for someone to come and say the Empire is being ruled by Acina she would look at them and asked them what colored water are they drinking because she watched her die in Iokath.

My warrior would have the same reaction if they said Jace Malcom was the commander of the republic forces. She would laugh and say sure, what drug are you on, I watched him die and even Theron saw his own father die. So from a standpoint on that, they need to make sure they use characters that haven't been killed.

I do forum roleplay, wouldn't consider myself a "writer as such" but I could do better than that.

Edited by casirabit

Man this thread has been full of spirited debate. My hats off to those that participated. It's been amazing to say the least to see just how passionate some people are about their characters and their stories that go along with them. It's part of the reason I enjoy playing this game so much and reading the forums. Keep it up folks :)

So question for those still reading: Would you absolutely hate the idea, or be alright with the idea of one of the factions simply asking your character for help?

The reason I ask this is that I actually liked the way Rise of the Hutt Cartel was written from the Emperor's Wrath perspective. If I remember correctly Darth Marr simply asks for your help while acknowledging your autonomy. Obviously you don't have the option of just saying "lol no, i'm not doin **** cause headcanon" but I still think it was well written.

I read through this awhile ago, but it seems some people are against their character regressing to a lackey / servant vs a leader. I for one felt thrust into a position that never really interested me in the first place. ( KOTFE / ET ) imo felt like it got away from the main storyline and class stories for no real reason ( and I hated being called the outlander lol ). It seemed like more of an interlude than an actual part of the story. I'd like to go back to being the personification of the dark side of the force and kill some jedi kthx.

I don't see why Acina is going to be in charge of the Empire, due to the fact if you sided with the Republic on Iokath she is dead. That makes no sense whatsoever and horrible writing.

I do forum roleplay, wouldn't consider myself a "writer as such" but I could do better than that.

Well at the risk of simple preference differences, I'm actually hoping Acina will be the Empress of the Empire, I'd just like for once to try something a little different, and I think that would definitely add a new feel to things.

In my case, my character is an Empire Loyalist. I never stopped being an Imperial, I never stopped being a Dark Lord of the Sith, I never stopped hating the Republic and I most CERTAINLY never stopped wanting to destroy all Jedi to a man, once the necessary alliance between the two factions was over.

In my story, I am immediately disbanding the Alliance, and ejecting all Republic personal from what is now, Imperial annexed territory, but will allow them full unmolested safe passage back to Republic space. They fought as honorable soldiers for the cause that both the factions needed and they will be given that respect and fair treatment. And with them I am sending a message for the leaders of the Republic and the Jedi - "Ready yourself. We are coming". Fair play, formal declaration of War. No sucker punch, caught you with your pants down actions. There are rules even in War. [And Laws of War, at least in real life anways heh].

I really have no problem with "giving up power", I never wanted that in the first place. I did what I do to free the Empire, that was my only motivation. Now that the Zakuulians are defeated and no threat, as an Imperial, as Imperialism does, you annex for captured territories of defeated enemies, subjugate their peoples, and exploit there resources. I can't imagine going home with that "gift" to the Empire and Acina [assuming shes in charge, which I hope she will be], doesn't earn me something.

I am fine with bending the knee to Acina, or whomever may be the lawfully recognized ruler of the Empire,as my character is a soldier, and serves the Empire, no matter who's in charge. I am more than happy to resume my position as Empresses' Wrath, and I feel not at all like, I'm 'being disrespected' for it, that's what I want most to be again.

The alliance commander was a military leader, nothing more. There was sovereignty, no government, no constitution, no civilian law of any kind, so I don't feel like there is any reason why I wouldn't want to go home and continue to serve the Empire. I'm a Sithlord, that's what Sithlords do. Jedi serve the Republic, Sith Lords serve the Sith Empire.

I would love to see a female in charge of the Empire for one. It could make a really interesting and fresh dynamic. Plus, if it is Acina, you already have a background with her that was decent as I recall and you worked well together in that chapter. Vaylin was in charge of the Eternal Empire, albeit not very long, but still, I'd love to see a similar dynamic in the Empire.

I haven't seen all that much support for the Empress in the Empire, perhaps I just missed it tho, but, I think it would be an awesome idea and a cool thing to try. At this point, I'd prefer to serve an Empress than Emperor.

I think I have pretty good credentials in either case ;)

Can't wait to see how it plays out. I'm siked.

Well at the risk of simple preference differences, I'm actually hoping Acina will be the Empress of the Empire, I'd just like for once to try something a little different, and I think that would definitely add a new feel to things.

In my case, my character is an Empire Loyalist. I never stopped being an Imperial, I never stopped being a Dark Lord of the Sith, I never stopped hating the Republic and I most CERTAINLY never stopped wanting to destroy all Jedi to a man, once the necessary alliance between the two factions was over.

In my story, I am immediately disbanding the Alliance, and ejecting all Republic personal from what is now, Imperial annexed territory, but will allow them full unmolested safe passage back to Republic space. They fought as honorable soldiers for the cause that both the factions needed and they will be given that respect and fair treatment. And with them I am sending a message for the leaders of the Republic and the Jedi - "Ready yourself. We are coming". Fair play, formal declaration of War. No sucker punch, caught you with your pants down actions. There are rules even in War. [And Laws of War, at least in real life anways heh].

I really have no problem with "giving up power", I never wanted that in the first place. I did what I do to free the Empire, that was my only motivation. Now that the Zakuulians are defeated and no threat, as an Imperial, as Imperialism does, you annex for captured territories of defeated enemies, subjugate their peoples, and exploit there resources. I can't imagine going home with that "gift" to the Empire and Acina [assuming shes in charge, which I hope she will be], doesn't earn me something.

I am fine with bending the knee to Acina, or whomever may be the lawfully recognized ruler of the Empire,as my character is a soldier, and serves the Empire, no matter who's in charge. I am more than happy to resume my position as Empresses' Wrath, and I feel not at all like, I'm 'being disrespected' for it, that's what I want most to be again.

The alliance commander was a military leader, nothing more. There was sovereignty, no government, no constitution, no civilian law of any kind, so I don't feel like there is any reason why I wouldn't want to go home and continue to serve the Empire. I'm a Sithlord, that's what Sithlords do. Jedi serve the Republic, Sith Lords serve the Sith Empire.

I would love to see a female in charge of the Empire for one. It could make a really interesting and fresh dynamic. Plus, if it is Acina, you already have a background with her that was decent as I recall and you worked well together in that chapter. Vaylin was in charge of the Eternal Empire, albeit not very long, but still, I'd love to see a similar dynamic in the Empire.

I haven't seen all that much support for the Empress in the Empire, perhaps I just missed it tho, but, I think it would be an awesome idea and a cool thing to try. At this point, I'd prefer to serve an Empress than Emperor.

I think I have pretty good credentials in either case ;)

Can't wait to see how it plays out. I'm siked.

It makes no sense from a story perspective to have a leader in charge of the Empire/Republic if the other side has killed them. My Jedi sided with the Republic and watched Acina die so for someone to come and say the Empire is being ruled by Acina she would look at them and asked them what colored water are they drinking because she watched her die in Iokath.

My warrior would have the same reaction if they said Jace Malcom was the commander of the republic forces. She would laugh and say sure, what drug are you on, I watched him die and even Theron saw his own father die. So from a standpoint on that, they need to make sure they use characters that haven't been killed.

What about Darth Vowrawn if Acina is dead? Yea, it would be a bit jarring to have Acina /Malcolm be ruler since one of them is dead depending on the side chosen. it would make KOTFE / ET seem even more like an interlude or side story.

Maybe Bioware intends to follow Dragon Age: Inquisition, but instead of saying lyrium revived Acina she somehow resurrected herself through the force lol.

Edited by Dyne-

What about Darth Vowrawn if Acina is dead? Yea, it would be a bit jarring to have Acina /Malcolm be ruler since one of them is dead depending on the side chosen. it would make KOTFE / ET seem even more like an interlude or side story.

Maybe Bioware intends to follow Dragon Age: Inquisition, but instead of saying lyrium revived Acina she somehow resurrected herself through the force lol.

That's my point. I don't care who they use provided they aren't dead. It creates a problem when they use a character that is dead.

And hand waving away the last two expansions will hurt more than it will help as there are already people who liked the last expansion and not thrilled with what is going to happen with their characters. We don't need another reason to lose subs. Frankly BW can't afford that.

Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly, I only did the one play through and that was a while ago now.

But yeah, if in your storyline she died, that sure, how could she still be alive, and like I saod. I have no recollection of Acina dieing. though,, obviously I sided the with Empire as an Imperial.

So in my storyline, that would mean she was still alive, no? Or am I just overlooking something here? I wasn't really all that into the storyline and I may have over-zealously end conversations before I heard it all heh.

If each invidual is essentually playing their own storyline, that wouldn't it only take into account the state of the galaxy as it was in your personal play and story?

Although, come to think of it, if you saw any of the leaders die in your storyline, than they couldn't include them in anyone's future storyline as the new content will than need to not include the persons that anyone saw die in their play through.

In my storyline, yeah Jace Malcom was the one who got is his lite up [which I very much enjoying watching =p ]

Trying to follow the line of though you were imparting, that would than necessitae that Jace cannot be in the future storyline overall because in some peoples story, he got iced.

Because in some other peoples story play throughs, they saw Acina killed, so the same line of thought about the future storyline would dictate Acina can't be present in the new storyline.

Am I understanding it correctly now, or am I still as big of a moron as when I started this post? heh

I think I am, and if I'm correct, it does make sense that there is no way she can be the Empress of the Empire still when 5.10 picks up the story line becomes some players saw her die.

That blows heh.

Who knows though, they are still giving people a chance to undo the two choices when you had to declare for one side or the other at the start of 5.10 and that one is the only one that will be binding, so maybe because that will kinda contradict something that was already done by the player in the storyline, than that may effect some different outcomes associated with it originally.

Can't ever be simple, right? :confused:

I think I just finally understood what it means when they say "Ignorance is bliss". :D

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

IMHO all of the above ^^^^ in the last page or so of posts are why Acina and Jace Malcom are probably both going to buy the farm in 5.10 or very early in 6.0. Right now there are four possible leaders a PC can communicate with (Acina or Vowrawn; Malcom or whoever on the Republic side). IMHO it would make sense for them to simplify that and ensure that the same leaders exist in every PC's playthrough, by killing off whoever is remaining from Iokath. Perhaps it will be the major event that kicks off 6.0.

Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly, I only did the one play through and that was a while ago now.

But yeah, if in your storyline she died, that sure, how could she still be alive, and like I saod. I have no recollection of Acina dieing. though,, obviously I sided the with Empire as an Imperial.

So in my storyline, that would mean she was still alive, no? Or am I just overlooking something here? I wasn't really all that into the storyline and I may have over-zealously end conversations before I heard it all heh.

If each invidual is essentually playing their own storyline, that wouldn't it only take into account the state of the galaxy as it was in your personal play and story?

Although, come to think of it, if you saw any of the leaders die in your storyline, than they couldn't include them in anyone's future storyline as the new content will than need to not include the persons that anyone saw die in their play through.

In my storyline, yeah Jace Malcom was the one who got is his lite up [which I very much enjoying watching =p ]

Trying to follow the line of though you were imparting, that would than necessitae that Jace cannot be in the future storyline overall because in some peoples story, he got iced.

Because in some other peoples story play throughs, they saw Acina killed, so the same line of thought about the future storyline would dictate Acina can't be present in the new storyline.

Am I understanding it correctly now, or am I still as big of a moron as when I started this post? heh

I think I am, and if I'm correct, it does make sense that there is no way she can be the Empress of the Empire still when 5.10 picks up the story line becomes some players saw her die.

That blows heh.

Who knows though, they are still giving people a chance to undo the two choices when you had to declare for one side or the other at the start of 5.10 and that one is the only one that will be binding, so maybe because that will kinda contradict something that was already done by the player in the storyline, than that may effect some different outcomes associated with it originally.

Can't ever be simple, right? :confused:

I think I just finally understood what it means when they say "Ignorance is bliss". :D

Yea that is why I said it made no sense to use either of them. You saw Jace die--so using him really can't be used or your sith would have everyone either committed or killed (going by your sith attitude lol) , if they told you Jace was alive.

My Jedi saw Acina die so though she's a nicer person than your sith (smirks) she would still have them check out for mental problems if they came to her saying Acina is the ruler of the empire.

This would be the ideal option for me as it would satify a lot of people from both those who want to go home and those who don't want anything to do with their former faction.

About Acina, she's dead in my story too, and it is said on Copero that Vowrawn is the new Emperor, so yeah having Acina still be Empress would not make much sense.

The most logical outcome for this issue, would probably be an event in wich Acina / Malcom die and are replaced with Vowrawn and whoever is supposed to replace Malcom.

Man this thread has been full of spirited debate. My hats off to those that participated. It's been amazing to say the least to see just how passionate some people are about their characters and their stories that go along with them. It's part of the reason I enjoy playing this game so much and reading the forums. Keep it up folks :)

So question for those still reading: Would you absolutely hate the idea, or be alright with the idea of one of the factions simply asking your character for help?

The reason I ask this is that I actually liked the way Rise of the Hutt Cartel was written from the Emperor's Wrath perspective. If I remember correctly Darth Marr simply asks for your help while acknowledging your autonomy. Obviously you don't have the option of just saying "lol no, i'm not doin **** cause headcanon" but I still think it was well written.

I read through this awhile ago, but it seems some people are against their character regressing to a lackey / servant vs a leader. I for one felt thrust into a position that never really interested me in the first place. ( KOTFE / ET ) imo felt like it got away from the main storyline and class stories for no real reason ( and I hated being called the outlander lol ). It seemed like more of an interlude than an actual part of the story. I'd like to go back to being the personification of the dark side of the force and kill some jedi kthx.

First off, let me just say., from one Emperor's Wrath to another, good for you, the only good Jedi, is the Jedi you just slew, and now need to step over and additionally, all pubs must die, That said....

As someone who couldn't care less about the Alliance, and Zakuul and whether or not the Zakuuliams have enough to eat or clothing to keep warm or enough air or water only in so far as I hope they don't have any of those things, you don't need a reason why you remain loyal to the Empire. I'm exactly like you, I don't feel any differently about the Empire, and who I am now, than I did before that storyline Started. My character's only motivation for leading the Alliance and working temporarily with the Republic were, A - I had no choice, the storyline made me not able to attack every Jedi and Pub I came within eye shot of or scanner range. Had I had that option, there wouldn't be any Jedi left. Additionally, the only reason I fought the Eternal Empire was because they had defeated the Empire militarily and held dominion over the Empire, and I wanted to free the Empire and it's people from any rule other than The Dark Lords of the Sith, the rightful rulers of the Empire and a chosen Emperor/ess.

Given the option in the game, I won't leave one single citizen of Zakuul alive and free.

If you feel it is right and proper for your character to remain loyal to the Empire, to an Emperor/ess, and are content to serve it as a "Wrath", that is more than enough reasoning right there for that position and perception to hold. No one elses opinions matter except your when playing your character in your story. Or, if you prefer, the idea of another coming to seek your character out who is doing whatever he is doing while meditating on the Darkside of the Force, because you are just so damn bad a** that people think of coming to you for help because they've heard on occasion or when you just felt like it, you have caused a Force Storm or 12 in your day, and have been known to destroy entire Armadas with one.

Dark Lords of the Sith aren't real big on anyone telling them what to do, pretty much for except the Emperor them self. Anyone else tries to tell you what you should do, what your motivations should be, or pretty much how you feel on anything and everything, right up to and including what you feel like having for lunch, Force Choke them to death in front of as many people as possible. Don't worry about witnesses, you are a Sith Lord, you are allowed to kill anyone you want and you don't even need a reason for it.

For the Glory of the Empire. :cool:

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

Vowrawn would seem to be the heir apparent in the Empire lue of Acina. Plus the character already has a background with working well with him in the storyline. I have no real objection to Vowrawn for the above reasons, I was just really hoping to try something different to set it abit apart from other male Emperor leaders, plus with a female lead it also leaves the door open for a new possible romance option.

Additionally, though while suitable on the one hand, the fact that he is an alien is problematic. The Empire has age old racial strife and the upper echelon has always been fairly pro-human for leadership. It isn't a coincodence that every Emperor you have ever seen is human.

I personally don't reall care, I play a chiss, but, that would really go against the grain of general doctrine of leadership as the Empire has mostly adhered to.

Options are further limited by the necessity of the Emperor/Empress being a force user. The Sith Empire, is called that for reason. Sith only follow the stronger, no one would follow a non-force using Emperor or leader whom any of the Dark Council cut crush with a thought. [literally]. Even assuming someone tried and succeeded it would be an exceedingly short reign.

As per my personal preference, if Acina is not an option after her death in confirmed as universal after any factional loyalty changes in 5.10, I would still like to see some other female force user as Empress. A little change in the norm in that regard I think would lend very well to a new storyline and not lock pre-existing npcs into any established personalty norms or personal feuds or animosities.

I'm all for making KOTFE / ET seem even more like an interlude or side story.:D

Vowrawn would seem to be the heir apparent in the Empire lue of Acina. Plus the character already has a background with working well with him in the storyline. I have no real objection to Vowrawn for the above reasons, I was just really hoping to try something different to set it abit apart from other male Emperor leaders, plus with a female lead it also leaves the door open for a new possible romance option.

Additionally, though while suitable on the one hand, the fact that he is an alien is problematic. The Empire has age old racial strife and the upper echelon has always been fairly pro-human for leadership. It isn't a coincodence that every Emperor you have ever seen is human.

I personally don't reall care, I play a chiss, but, that would really go against the grain of general doctrine of leadership as the Empire has mostly adhered to.

Vowrawn is a pure-blooded Sith, as was Vitiate originally, and still was when Scourge became his Wrath.

There is no discrimination against pure-bloods as long as they're Force sensitives.