The "My Commander Won't Go Back To A Follower" Argument Debunked

Ylliarus

Just a quick correction here.

I am. :cool:

Without shame or reservation, I will bend the Knee to Empress Acina, give her my oath of fealty as a Dark Lord of the Sith, and serve her as the Empress' Wrath if she will have me, unto death, all in the name of the Empire.

I serve the Empire, whoever the Emperor/ess is.

I'm a soldier of the Empire, I don't want to be anything else, by my free will.

I want to go home to the Empire. - Long may she reign.

"We all serve the Dark Council and through them, the Emperor."

―Watcher Two[src]

My Imperial characters echo your words, my friend! Albeit we'd prefer to see Emperor Vowrawn in charge... but Acina will do, for the time being!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, good for you.

My SW will never serve Acina as she's dead and she was fully loyal to the Empire, Baras untill he betrayed her and the Emperor, untill he destroyed Ziost, now she's just done with the Empire forever.

Now she'll just serve my JK and follow her wherever she may go. At least she knows my JK would never betray her.

As for my SI, he was a slave all his life, why would he have any loyalty for people who ensleved and mistreated him ? He'd rather burn the Empire to the ground than support it.

See that's just it and it really kinda points out the sort of pointlessness of some of these discussion, because head-canon makes almost all points of reference impossible. We're [as in individual players] not part of the same story. Everyone else's story isn't real, didn't happen to every one else. That's why kill options exist, because they deserve to die to some people and they aren't love interests at all to some people. That's why some people don't care what happen to certain LI comps because he's not thier husband, hes just a trairtous pub in some stories. You can't say anyone did or didn't deserve whatever happens to them because they did deserve it in some cases.

You can't say Theron didn't betray the player because he did to some people as far as they're concerned, you can't say Lana deserves a kill option because she's disloyal because she isn't disloyal in some cases, so why are we speaking for or against any choice at all. No one else is the Commander in their story, only they player is.

I kinda thought that that's what we've been talking about, absolutes, I didn't realize we just sharing what our storylines were like, I thought we were debating the validity [or lack there of] to storyline elements and not just sharing what we did. It didn't seem like that's what these discussions were about because it seemed some like people are trying to convince others why their choices were righter or wronger than some elses. So why try to convince anyone else that Theron didn't betray the commander when they said they thought that he did?

Just swappen stories, ok, but if it comes to choices Everyones wrong, everyones right heh. I really didn't think we were just swapping stories I thought it was more like we were debating certain things in black and white.. My bad.

Upside is its a real time saver with that in mind heh :p

Well you keep on telling how much of diehard loyalists all your Sith are, i just stated, mine never were or are not anymore, and just don't have any valid reason to be willing to go back to being lapdogs for some other untrustworthy Sith Lords, who are actually weaker than they are.

The SW is probably the strongest fighter in the Empire, especially now that both Marr and Malgus are dead, and now that Vitiate is gone, the SI is probably the most powerfull Force user of the Empire, why should they bow to people who are inferior to them and never did anything to earn their respect, trust or loyalty ?

If you want your own Sith to be mindless tools of other being, that fine, but i don't want that for mine.

They both can be followers if they think the other person deserve their respect and their loyalty, they gladly followed Marr, but with him being dead, no one else is now in a position to order them around in the Empire.

Edited by Goreshaga

Well you keep on telling how much of diehard loyalists all your Sith are, i just stated, mine never were or are not anymore, and just don't have any valid reason to be willing to go back to being lapdogs for some other untrustworthy Sith Lords, who are actually weaker than they are.

The SW is probably the strongest fighter in the Empire, especially now that both Marr and Malgus are dead, and now that Vitiate is gone, the SI is probably the most powerfull Force user of the Empire, why should they bow to people who are inferior to them and never did anything to earn their respect, trust or loyalty ?

If you want your own Sith to be mindless tools of other being, that fine, but i don't want that for mine.

They both can be followers if they think the other person deserve their respect and their loyalty, they gladly followed Marr, but with him being dead, no one else is now in a position to order them around in the Empire.

I am convinced the writing team will create a story that would satisfy both of us. Tbh, we're all saying a lot right now but the fact remains we know so little about the story and setting. We're already judging it as if the story was out and ready to play when it's still months ahead. Perhaps we should just wait, play through the story and then decide "hey, this float my boat/doesn't float my boat" :)

All this information is informative.

It shows the Dev's (If the care to read it) that there are many points of view on this topic and a lot of expectations around it so we can stay true to our character narrative.

This is not a shooter, characters matter, personality matters and headcanon matters (except when it contradicts a KNOWN FACT).

It is very important that all of these views are aired.

Just a quick correction here.

I am. :cool:

Without shame or reservation, I will bend the Knee to Empress Acina, give her my oath of fealty as a Dark Lord of the Sith, and serve her as the Empress' Wrath if she will have me, unto death, all in the name of the Empire.

I serve the Empire, whoever the Emperor/ess is.

I'm a soldier of the Empire, I don't want to be anything else, by my free will.

I want to go home to the Empire. - Long may she reign.

"We all serve the Dark Council and through them, the Emperor."

―Watcher Two[src]

That's awesome...for you. But my SI would never follow someone who placed themselves into a position of power simply because they were the last man standing. Right now, the Empire is lead by the dregs, the leftovers, the bottom of the Sith Barrel.

And I'm not saying I dislike Acina as a character. My Outlander liked working with her just fine. But she would never take orders from her. If it came down to that, Acina would find out very quickly who was more powerful.

Empire. Republic. She's grown beyond that...and has no interest in going back. She's Alliance through and through. Her husband is from the Republic. She has friends who fought at her side who were from the Republic. She doesn't want to destroy one any more than she wants to destroy the other. Nor does she have any desire to support a corrupt government. It's not that she's gone soft (she hasn't)...she just isn't anybody's pawn...and will never be anybody's pawn ever again. Marr treated her like an equal...they lead the Empire together as the two most influential members of the Council before his death and her disappearance...then she became the leader of the the Alliance...she's done following.

If put to a choice, she would rather just flip the major bird to everybody and go live in the mountains on Alderaan with Theron and Andronikos.

*edit* And to be honest, I'd rather they throw some really wacky "it was all a dream" trope in there than expect everybody's characters to be like "okey doke...we go home now".

Edited by Dracofish

I am convinced the writing team will create a story that would satisfy both of us. Tbh, we're all saying a lot right now but the fact remains we know so little about the story and setting. We're already judging it as if the story was out and ready to play when it's still months ahead. Perhaps we should just wait, play through the story and then decide "hey, this float my boat/doesn't float my boat" :)

The problem with just playing through to see is that it could put a character you really like into a place you don't want them to be. Considering they are telling people to tie up any loose ends with Alliance Alerts and romances before they enter the Ossus mission, it seems like 5.10 might be another point of no return, the way KOTFE's Chapter 1 was.

It's true that we don't know everything about the story yet (and even if we're reading the things we can't talk about here, the devs already said they're throwing in red herrings!). But I think there's enough known about the premise that people can formulate opinions as to how their characters (and they) might feel about it. You certainly are very enthusiastic (and I'm not knocking that) even though you don't know everything yet.

I'm seeing a number of posts on the board saying that players are going to hold back their mains and only bring less important alts through 5.10 if they want to see the story. I believe that is the tactic I will be taking too. I don't want to send characters I love and have worked really hard to develop and gear down a rabbit hole they can't escape from that will put them in a place they'd never want to be.

From a story standpoint, I can't formulate a single reason why any of my own toons, either Imperial or Republic, would have any interest in participating in this.

The problem with just playing through to see is that it could put a character you really like into a place you don't want them to be. Considering they are telling people to tie up any loose ends with Alliance Alerts and romances before they enter the Ossus mission, it seems like 5.10 might be another point of no return, the way KOTFE's Chapter 1 was.

It's true that we don't know everything about the story yet (and even if we're reading the things we can't talk about here, the devs already said they're throwing in red herrings!). But I think there's enough known about the premise that people can formulate opinions as to how their characters (and they) might feel about it. You certainly are very enthusiastic (and I'm not knocking that) even though you don't know everything yet.

I'm seeing a number of posts on the board saying that players are going to hold back their mains and only bring less important alts through 5.10 if they want to see the story. I believe that is the tactic I will be taking too. I don't want to send characters I love and have worked really hard to develop and gear down a rabbit hole they can't escape from that will put them in a place they'd never want to be.

From a story standpoint, I can't formulate a single reason why any of my own toons, either Imperial or Republic, would have any interest in participating in this.

Oh yeah...I have a number of test characters who will be going through first. Just this past week I finally got my main Outlander caught up through Nathema...I waited quite a while, lol.

I just hope they don't take our companions away. And...everything else we ground through. I only had time to get my one main leveled on Command (and even that is only half-way), but will those even matter now?

And yeah...I wouldn't trust anything at this point in terms of stuff we can't talk about, lol.

That's awesome...for you. But my SI would never follow someone who placed themselves into a position of power simply because they were the last man standing. Right now, the Empire is lead by the dregs, the leftovers, the bottom of the Sith Barrel.

And I'm not saying I dislike Acina as a character. My Outlander liked working with her just fine. But she would never take orders from her. If it came down to that, Acina would find out very quickly who was more powerful.

Empire. Republic. She's grown beyond that...and has no interest in going back. She's Alliance through and through. Her husband is from the Republic. She has friends who fought at her side who were from the Republic. She doesn't want to destroy one any more than she wants to destroy the other. Nor does she have any desire to support a corrupt government. It's not that she's gone soft (she hasn't)...she just isn't anybody's pawn...and will never be anybody's pawn ever again. Marr treated her like an equal...they lead the Empire together as the two most influential members of the Council before his death and her disappearance...then she became the leader of the the Alliance...she's done following.

If put to a choice, she would rather just flip the major bird to everybody and go live in the mountains on Alderaan with Theron and Andronikos.

*edit* And to be honest, I'd rather they throw some really wacky "it was all a dream" trope in there than expect everybody's characters to be like "okey doke...we go home now".

Ya know you guys play different alts and such and each one is seperate story from one another if it isnt for you . You try it different ways, from different roles and different prioties that you make for each alt so I guess you can see the storyline from different perspectives and can try it with different purposes unique to each of your chartacers.

I have a very limited view in the respect I only play one character, and it's the same one for 6 years, so to me I guess there is only point of view I can see it with. Plus, that means I don't even have to 'head canon' it. I just play the story as it unfolds for that character, so to me that's all there is to that story.

I have a hard time reconciling the 'head-canon' term as well as I am a very traditional Star Wars fan, totally old school and lore and continity play a sizeable part for me as a traditionist. To me therre's only one Star Wars and thats what ever the hell George Lucas says it is heh and play it at face value. To me, if it comes from someones head, than it can't be canon for the abovementioned reason.

As long as people don't try to impose their views on others or call them "right or wrong' I can respect different views without agreeing with them.

I am not against choice, I think every player is entitled to play his game his way, and whatever makes the most players happy, that's what we should do providing it does not interfere with respecting the Star Wars Universe for what it is.

I hope 5.10 will have something for everyone to enjoy in all 3 factions.

Naturally I'm going to have to attack the other two factions to utterly destroy them, slay all the Zakuulan's to a man, and conquer the entire Universe All for the Glory of the Empire. Nothing personal. :D

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

Ya know you guys play different alts and such and each one is seperate story from one another if it isnt for you . You try it different ways, from different roles and different prioties that you make for each alt so I guess you can see the storyline from different perspectives and can try it with different purposes unique to each of your chartacers.

I have a very limited view in the respect I only play one character, and it's the same one for 6 years, so to me I guess there is only point of view I can see it with. Plus, that means I don't even have to 'head canon' it. I just play the story as it unfolds for that character, so to me that's all there is to that story.

I have a hard time reconciling the 'head-canon' term as well as I am a very traditional Star Wars fan, totally old school and lore and continity play a sizeable part for me as a traditionist. To me therre's only one Star Wars and thats what ever the hell George Lucas says it is heh and play it at face value. To me, if it comes from someones head, than it can't be canon for the abovementioned reason.

I have numerous characters that I've played through the expansion content, but I only have one actual Outlander that matters to me...the main character in my writing. The others are support characters and do exist in her timeline as other cast (in my writing).

I'm pretty easy when it comes to lore...everything we're playing in our timeline is EU anyways...and Disney can decide tomorrow if it wants to say it's canon or not.

But yes, we all play the game however we want. That's just how I play my game.

A small difference. A smith lord was the head of the sith and the empire. The Jedi was not the senate.

Not much to discuss on the republic side... despite corruption of some leaders and politicians, it’s obvious the republic side is about building a future...

The empire on the other hand, only your wildest imaginations could ever find anythIng good.. everyone and everything was fodder...

We can make the argument that only the empire actually helped the alliance... truth is, BioWare plot armored the sith to even have a fleet... last I heard both the empire and republic were ravaged by the eternal fleet. Odessen only survives because it’s location is unknown

Back to the point... my sith sorc might be the most powerful being in the galaxy, but she has zero power structure in the empire... truth is, she has no friends, no loyal forces of her own. What she has is friends from the enemy of my enemy genre... running short of a common enemy, it appears my sith sorc has become the common enemy, therefore short on friends. In any real sense, I have to kill accina, to either rule the empire, or become some mercenary. You cannot simply join the dark council...

I have numerous characters that I've played through the expansion content, but I only have one actual Outlander that matters to me...the main character in my writing. The others are support characters and do exist in her timeline as other cast (in my writing).

You have to understand that any fiction you or anyone else writes follows the game, the game does not follow your fiction and nor should it.

I am staying right away from the sexuality examples but there are others that are just as glaring.

For instance you write that you have settled down on Dantoonie and built a retirement house and Dantoonie is revealed to be one of the 5 planets that Vaylin bombed to dust.

Anyone that thinks that the game must or even has any chance to follow the narrative in their heads is delusional and heading for disappointment.

I have seen many ridiculous story arcs that some people have in their heads (not necessarily you) and the game is just not going to do that.

You have to understand that any fiction you or anyone else writes follows the game, the game does not follow your fiction and nor should it.

I am staying right away from the sexuality examples but there are others that are just as glaring.

For instance you write that you have settled down on Dantoonie and built a retirement house and Dantoonie is revealed to be one of the 5 planets that Vaylin bombed to dust.

Anyone that thinks that the game must or even has any chance to follow the narrative in their heads is delusional and heading for disappointment.

I have seen many ridiculous story arcs that some people have in their heads (not necessarily you) and the game is just not going to do that.

I don't think anybody here is disputing that. I can have never written a word in my life and still have a main character who has no interest in going back to either faction. Using only what was given to us. At face value. ;)

I could say that taking things at face value is just as delusional (thanks for that, I love being called delusional). BioWare has always written narratives with plot points that are left open purposefully for interpretation. That's what role-playing is. :rolleyes:

And personally, wherever the game goes...I don't have to write it that way. I'm not sure where you picked up that anybody here is demanding their writing be validated by the game storyline (romances not included because that's another issue entirely). Whatever the game does plot-wise...I'm going to write what I want and it's no skin off my nose or BioWare's. But that doesn't mean I have to be happy or agree with giving us giant gaping plot holes either.

Edited by Dracofish

I don't think that the narrative of the devs should follow the narratives each fan sets out for their characters. But since the game encourages players to individualize their experiences and characters, it's not unreasonable to think that someone's toons might approach the story differently than another.

In the context of the story, not my own head canon, my toons who have been through KOTFE/ET have been the head of an Alliance made up of cross-faction forces. They've worked successfully with both Jedi and Sith, as well as Republic, Imperial and Zakuulan forces. They've worked very hard to recruit a lot of companions and to raise their Alliance specialists' influence levels. Again, not my head canon, what the game has them do.

They've worked with both Satele Shan and Darth Marr to learn to use the Force beyond what they know from their own background.

They have opted to become Peacekeepers and try to help different planets rebuild. Their interest in the superweapon on Iokath was to shut it down so it couldn't hurt anyone, not to wield it.

They allied with the Empire with the specific purpose to take down threats, not to pillage and plunder, and they have never expressed anything other than negative words for the Jedi and Republic in the game choices they've had.

Within that context, which has developed their background with choices given to them by the devs, it would make no sense whatsoever for any of them to want to jump back into war, slaughter Jedi or engage in any acts of aggression against either faction. In that context, what the devs are asking them to do is out of character, and that's not just for my own head canon.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I don't think that the narrative of the devs should follow the narratives each fan sets out for their characters. But since the game encourages players to individualize their experiences and characters, it's not unreasonable to think that someone's toons might approach the story differently than another.

In the context of the story, not my own head canon, my toons who have been through KOTFE/ET have been the head of an Alliance made up of cross-faction forces. They've worked successfully with both Jedi and Sith, as well as Republic, Imperial and Zakuulan forces. They've worked very hard to recruit a lot of companions and to raise their Alliance specialists' influence levels. Again, not my head canon, what the game has them do.

They've worked with both Satele Shan and Darth Marr to learn to use the Force beyond what they know from their own background.

They have opted to become Peacekeepers and try to help different planets rebuild. Their interest in the superweapon on Iokath was to shut it down so it couldn't hurt anyone, not to wield it.

They allied with the Empire with the specific purpose to take down threats, not to pillage and plunder, and they have never expressed anything other than negative words for the Jedi and Republic in the game choices they've had.

Within that context, which has developed their background with choices given to them by the devs, it would make no sense whatsoever for any of them to want to jump back into war, slaughter Jedi or engage in any acts of aggression against either faction. In that context, what the devs are asking them to do is out of character, and that's not just for my own head canon.

But you already know the game is not going to do that.

You can be a Saboteur to your own faction but you cannot join the other faction.

So how will you deal with that?

You can be a Saboteur to your own faction but you cannot join the other faction.

That's exactly what we're talking about in this thread...that the devs painted themselves into a corner with the plot.

You can't just expect people to be totes kewl with being thrown down an alley after playing out choices and roles that were given to them by the game itself.

Edited by Dracofish

Easy: I'm not going to play on any character that means anything to me. If my Republic characters will not be given the agency to defect to the Empire, and my Imperial characters will be forced into the fire-breathing, stupid-evil philosophy of killing everything instead of the more pragmatic Marr/Acina school of thought, I'm just opting out.

The point was, though, that it's disingenuous to assume that when people are protesting about the storyline and it being out of character, it's because it doesn't align with whatever head canon or fan fiction universe they've created. Within the context of the actual game and the choice they've taken, it doesn't make sense for a lot of Commanders to do this. Not one of my characters have ever had a conversation choice where they've said, "gee! I can't wait to go be a lackey again!"

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

That's exactly what we're talking about in this thread...that the devs painted themselves into a corner with the plot.

You can't just expect people to be totes kewl with being thrown down an alley after playing out choices and roles that were given to them by the game itself.

That is my point

Not to be indelicate but Suck it up Buttercup....

You have no choice, go with the flow or don't but the narrative is not going to follow your story.

And for that matter it is not going to follow mine either.

So yeah I can expect it because that is exactly what is going to happen and I don't like it any more than you do.

That is my point

You have no choice, go with the flow or don't but the narrative is not going to follow your story.

So yeah I can expect it because that is exactly what is going to happen and I don't like it any more than you do.

Okay, so I guess we'll just ignore the giant elephant in the room and take whatever flaming turd we get and give thanks to the game-developer gods.

So no, I don't have to "Suck it up, Buttercup". We've already established, or at least I believe we have already established, that nobody here is expecting the game developers to cater to every headcanon out there. I am talking about in-game choices they (BioWare) have written and are choosing to ignore...wiping the slate clean...and expecting people to just go with it. (Essentially, they're not even following their own story.)

What about all the hundreds of hours and money people have dumped into companions? Command Tiers? What will happen with all that? Ooops! Well, we'll just suck it up and be happy then. Don't ask questions. Don't provide feedback in the naive hope that the devs will listen. Because that's how games are improved. By everybody just sucking it up...buttercup. :rolleyes:

As I've already said, I would rather be handed a "it was all a dream" plot twist than just be shoe-horned into a narrative that doesn't fit choices they've already provided us.

Edited by Dracofish

Story players have the right to complain and voice concerns about things they don't like as much as anyone else on this board; as much as Ops players complaining about bosses they don't like or PvPers complaining about whatever happens that's uncool in PvP.

When the patch drops, people will have the same choice they have with anything else: play it, or don't. But that doesn't mean people shouldn't be discussing what they like or dislike, or raising concerns.

This has been the first year in a while that the devs have opened the PTS and seem to actually be listening to some of what the players are saying and asking for. All the more reason to provide feedback.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Problem is the plot holes existed since the game began, trying to fit in game mechanics, with lore, with choices.

Light sided sith, and dark Jedi, are plot holes. Of course a sith can be redeemed to the light, via choices, yet game mechanics let him continue to cast force lightning, despite to lore stating use dark side force corrupts...

We have learned to ignore... and ignore a lot.

The biggest plot hole of all is this nonsense about serving the empire... the Empire serve the Sith. We leveled though 50 working our way up the ladder to power... we far exceed Acina. The choice is her head rolls or her knee bends.

No matter how morally grey my Sith is, she is Sith.

Okay, so I guess we'll just ignore the giant elephant in the room and take whatever flaming turd we get and give thanks to the game-developer gods.

So no, I don't have to "Suck it up, Buttercup". We've already established, or at least I believe we have already established, that nobody here is expecting the game developers to cater to every headcanon out there. I am talking about in-game choices they (BioWare) have written and are choosing to ignore...wiping the slate clean...and expecting people to just go with it. (Essentially, they're not even following their own story.)

What about all the hundreds of hours and money people have dumped into companions? Command Tiers? What will happen with all that? Ooops! Well, we'll just suck it up and be happy then. Don't ask questions. Don't provide feedback in the naive hope that the devs will listen. Because that's how games are improved. By everybody just sucking it up...buttercup. :rolleyes:

As I've already said, I would rather be handed a "it was all a dream" plot twist than just be shoe-horned into a narrative that doesn't fit choices they've already provided us.

Pretty much.

We will all have to ignore certain aspects to fit into whatever new narrative they come up with

That is my point

Problem is the narrative itself placed our characters in a position where they had to work alongside people from all factions, alignments and philosophies, also gave a choice to lead the Alliance as a peacekeeper, is it so hard to understand that among the plethora of Commanders out there, some of them may have no interest in siding with any faction and participating in that new war, when they were working so hard to bring peace ?

And yes, there is at least 1 choice, that is deciding that the story stops right after Nathema, if we don't like that new narrative. That sucks big time, but it's still better than bring a character completely out of their way.

They had to make a choice between appeasing the fans who wanted to get back to Red vs. Blue and the fans who wanted to keep defying setting conventions. The resources aren't there to make everyone happy, and trying to do so is going to leave both parties dissatisfied just more mildly so. At most they can drag it out and have the loyalist-saboteur dynamic stall just short of recommitting full bore to one side.

Roll alts forever, craft, and PvP if it's unacceptable to play your characters against type.

Roll alts forever, craft, and PvP if it's unacceptable to play your characters against type.

I find crafting utterly borring.

I don't like pvp and i'd be absolutely useless in a PvP match anyways with my great internet connection, when i can only react when i'm already dead.

And i don't really care about the many alts i already have.

I have 8 mains 7 of which are not the Outlander, 3 of them, including my Outlander whom i really care about, 5 i don't really know to do with them anymore except finding a nice spot for them to retire, but i see none of them really fitting in that new storyline.

If i can't play my JK who is my main character the way that suits her character, i see no point in keeping playing anyways, and even less so paying a sub not to play.

I'll try that story with my Imperious whom i just don't care about, to see how it goes before even considering approaching that new storyline with my JK, SW or SI.

And if i don't like what i see, then that's it and i'm completely out of that, as story is the only aspect of this game i really enjoy, if the story doesn't please me, i have no reason to play anymore.

Edited by Goreshaga