One SWTOR MMO Killer bites the dust

lokimogor

what is wildstar, and why is it more important than how we treat each other

what bothers me is I got this grudxge, and a problem

I want to reach out to so many of you, and I feel like I cant because you don't love GOd

it matters to me because maybe im wrong

it bothers me, that so many of do you do not

and to take it a step further, your backed by the internet

………..

when was it ever wrong for a man to say his peace

it bothers me, that

its not stealin a damn post, from someone, its how we treat each other

and yall are like, next...…

I get it, I think

So WildStar officially announced its impending closure today

I got my official "Wildstar Closure Announcement" email on 1st October. It was a really lovely email thanking all it's players/customers for their support over the last few years. Their message felt sincere and I really hope the Wildstar team are able to bring us a new idea using what they learnt from the experience.

I never thought it was meant to be any MMO killer though :confused: It was too niche in how it looked & how the game played.

I got my official "Wildstar Closure Announcement" email on 1st October. It was a really lovely email thanking all it's players/customers for their support over the last few years. Their message felt sincere and I really hope the Wildstar team are able to bring us a new idea using what they learnt from the experience.

I never thought it was meant to be any MMO killer though :confused: It was too niche in how it looked & how the game played.

Their target was old school MMO hardcore players with making entering end game difficult by having doing things similar to how WoW was with their keys to get into raids and it had large 40 man raids etc....It was just too hardcore for the current MMO environment. That was their target, it failed....obviously and somewhat sadly, and then after that it was just too late to change it.

Shame really. It was a pretty fun game and the pvp was a lot of fun....albeit really unbalanced.

Their target was old school MMO hardcore players with making entering end game difficult by having doing things similar to how WoW was with their keys to get into raids and it had large 40 man raids etc....It was just too hardcore for the current MMO environment. That was their target, it failed....obviously and somewhat sadly, and then after that it was just too late to change it.

I'm sure that's part of it, but I believe there is more than just that.

There used to be a thriving raiding scene here in SWTOR. When Wildstar was released we were in the latter half of the 2.x cycle and the raiders I knew were getting bored with Dread Fortress / Dread Palace. Some tried ESO, some tried FFXIV, some tried Rift, some went to MOBAs, some caught up on their Steam backlog.

No raiders that I talked to had any interest in even trying Wildstar. I don't know if it was the art style, or the IP was uninteresting, or something else, but these people that considered themselves "hardcore raiders" didn't even give WS a second glance.

Granted, this is hardly a large sample size (perhaps 40-50 people?), but I find it hard to buy into "WS was too hardcore" as an adequate explanation for their failure.

There used to be a thriving raiding scene here in SWTOR. When Wildstar was released we were in the latter half of the 2.x cycle and the raiders I knew were getting bored with Dread Fortress / Dread Palace. Some tried ESO, some tried FFXIV, some tried Rift, some went to MOBAs, some caught up on their Steam backlog.

No raiders that I talked to had any interest in even trying Wildstar. I don't know if it was the art style, or the IP was uninteresting, or something else, but these people that considered themselves "hardcore raiders" didn't even give WS a second glance.

Granted, this is hardly a large sample size (perhaps 40-50 people?), but I find it hard to buy into "WS was too hardcore" as an adequate explanation for their failure.

The game had a ton of hype and it had a popular launch. I still think the end game difficulty was too much for a lot of people. Even basic dungeons were beating the snot out of people.

Wildstar was an attempt to bring MMO play back to WoW Vanilla style 40 man raid with tons of grindy pre-requisites to even enter the encounters. Not surprising given the original founders were very much old school vanilla WoW developers.

SWTOR was never even remotely close to what they tried to do with Wildstar. And I think Wildstar has proven that there is simply no market for that over the top hardcore stuff in MMOs anymore.. at least not for PvE players. Even for PvP.. I think the MMO space will just continue to get cannibalized by the more esport tuned PvP online games.

Edited by Andryah

Wildstar was an attempt to bring MMO play back to WoW Vanilla style 40 man raid with tons of grindy pre-requisites to even enter the encounters. Not surprising given the original founders were very much old school vanilla WoW developers.

When Wildstar was released I told everyone and their mother it looked just like WoW. The characters, the setting, everything reminded me of WoW, and EVERYone was like "Nah, man, I just don't see it." I find it funny how years later I've been seeing more and more people FINALLY comparing it to WoW.

The art style was just too *PUKE* not interesting to me. Had a friend give me a 7 day Pass? played with them for that then we both quit. And i, although didnt do any, didnt see anything that reminded me of Vanilla WoW of course most of what I did in Vanilla WoW once I got to 60 was AB battleground

And I love playing the Vanilla WoW servers that are around now, and cant wait for Blizzard to open the classic servers if they stay true to Vanilla before the Burning Crusade pre patch

they shot themselves in the foot with that combat system.

it was only really good for one type of content.

for leveling it just got exhausting and for pvp you'd just blanket the whole floor in teleghraphs and there's no dodging out of all that.

loved the artstyle,exploration and the music though.

I hate to see any MMOs close...they aren't being replaced with new ones...but Wildstar was dumb to begin with.

My thoughts exactly.

Same with Firefall, a first person shooter MMO sounded nice on paper but the character, level and map/environment design was awful.

Edited by Falensawino

I personally think it mostly comes down to money and IP and the end of the day, Wildstar and Swtor have some core similarities in flopped idea/systems.

Both suffered from massive server issues be it to much space or to little,

Both had horrible issues with cheating and MMR for pvp along with gear/scaling.

Both suffered from Engines not being able to handle X amount of ppl on the screen at once.

Both were forced to make the switch to implement F2P aspects from a full Sub model due to sub loss. (Wildstar did have the option to buy currency in game with C r e e d though)

A few things that I do think made Swtor stand out above wildstar though is that nothing really comes close ( kinda Gw2 in terms of voice) to Swtors Original 8 class stories and how the base world was fully voiced with numerous in game cut scenes really made everyone feel attached to what they were doing.

For me my main draw to Wildstar was by far the combat and the pvp and the raiding at really difficult levels of play.It just clearly showed that was a niche part of the overall MMO community and wildstar took far to long to add in elements that were more appealing to someone that wasn't looking for something super hardcore.

My thoughts exactly.

Same with Firefall, a first person shooter MMO sounded nice on paper but the character, level and map design was awful.

I personally like Firefall in beta when ppl would thump everywhere and had a tree progression system. It's almost like that game got progressively worse as it moved forward tho