Why is there no kill option for Lana?

Avashnea

Oh, I like that idea. Would have made completing some Alerts desirable and have you be complete a§§hat (killing/banishing everyone) result in you not getting what you may have wanted in the end due to staff shortage!

Yeah, I felt like it would have really tied in those Alliance Alerts and given people a reason to do them, and brought that "choices matter!" adage into play in a very significant way, AND stopped the gratuitous killing of a companion that one might want to keep around.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I felt like it would have really tied in those Alliance Alerts and given people a reason to do them, and brought that "choices matter!" adage into play in a very significant way, AND stopped the gratuitous killing of a companion that one might want to keep around.

So Lana HAS to live, while others are dead. Why? You want to keep her around, I do not. You get to do all the purple missions with your " space waifu" and enjoy it. I loathe it, because Lana means absolutely nothing to me and I hate to have her forced on my throat. Why do I have to summon her and not Arcann?

Edited by AdornedBlood

So Lana HAS to live, while others are dead. Why? You want to keep her around, I do not. You get to do all the purple missions with your " space waifu" and enjoy it. I loathe it, because Lana means absolutely nothing to me and I hate to have her forced on my throat. Why do I have to summon her and not Arcann?

We get it, you hate Lana and feel terribly persecuted. We are talking about something else now. People are ignoring your posts for a reason.

We get it, you hate Lana and feel terribly persecuted. We are talking about something else now. People are ignoring your posts for a reason.

Nope. I do not hate Lana and I do not feel persecuted in any way, you made this up to justify how keeping Lana around is moral and understandable just because you romanced her.

I don't think anyone who dislikes or is tired of Lana feels persecuted but you seem to love trying. I don't need her dead, but she doesn't fit in everyone's game.

Please stop because this argument is going nowhere.

You realize you could simply stop responding instead of asking other people to stop responding?

All it requires is a willingness to not "get the last word" in an argument.

Edited by Khevar

But, in all candor, I do concede, Theron was dead the second he met me. That he gave me justification beyond that hes a just a Jedi-loving pub is an academic distinction.

I never really got that he's a 'Jedi-Lover'. If anything, he seems more jaded with them, due to his being force blind and abandoned by his mother, his adoptive father, and the Order because of it. How could he -not- be a little angry about it? That's really why I've never been able to romance him with a Jedi character (because that contention would always be there).. A Sith, on the other hand...all the angst. :D

Edited by Dracofish

I never really got that he's a 'Jedi-Lover'. If anything, he seems more jaded with them, due to his being force blind and abandoned by his mother, his adoptive father, and the Order because of it. How could he -not- be a little angry about it? That's really why I've never been able to romance him with a Jedi character (because that contention would always be there).. A Sith, on the other hand...all the angst. :D

Yeah, if you play a Jedi in the SoR prelude he has a few lines that can come across as having a slight bit of...not hostility, but perhaps anger...toward the Jedi. There's one I remember, I can't recall what the PC's question is, but Theron's answer was a very sarcastic, "what, can't you just pull that out of my head?" or something along those lines.

• 4 weeks later...
I think you just summed up the Vaylin fans to a T. :D

Same thing with all the Arcann fans who demanded a romance with him despite the character trying to kill our Outlanders personally at least twice and murdering billions of people to hurt us multiple times. Apparently having a sexy voice behind the pixels can make people forgive any and all sins. Theron screwed up, no question, but at least he never nuked entire planets just on the off chance we might have allies there.

As for the actual topic of the thread... the reason there's no kill option for Lana is that she's the straight male writers' Star Wars waifu. Don't get me wrong, I actually like Lana and have ever since Forged Alliances came out. It's great to see a pragmatic, thoughtful Sith who isn't primarily motivated by murder or expanding a personal power base in the story. Cackling cartoon villain Sith or murder hobo Sith get boring and cringy real quick. Same reason I liked Darth Marr, as well as Acina (before they ruined her on Iokath).

That said, I really hate how the writers made her seemingly incapable of doing wrong or even making a mistake. She's the one who gives the orders during the "Keeping Up With The Valkorions" arc, not our Outlander. Players who didn't romance her still have her being the one to show up every time we wake up from a serious injury or come back from a traumatic event. Every chapter in KotFE in particular featured her in a 'starring' role, while in multiple chapters Theron was barely present or completely absent. We're pretty much doing what she wants when she wants in terms of story beats, and she's almost invariably portrayed as on the 'right' side of any dispute. It's not that Lana is a bad or unlikable character so much as the writers kept clumsily pushing her into prominence in almost every situation because she was their obvious favorite. This may or may not have been deliberate on the writers' part--subconscious biases can be very powerful and hard to avoid--but either way it got old real fast.

Given the existence of cut dialog that seems to paint Theron as an actual traitor as opposed to a triple agent, I wonder if Charles Boyd and his fellow male writers had to be reminded at some point "Hey, remember that straight/bi women--as well as gay/bi men--play this game too, and they won't take kindly to you destroying their characters' long term romantic interest for a butt-pull plot twist." Of course, said 'cut' dialog lines might have also been meant as red herrings to fool data miners too; there's really no evidence either way.

Edited by AscendingSky

-snip-

Given the existence of cut dialog that seems to paint Theron as an actual traitor as opposed to a triple agent, I wonder if Charles Boyd and his fellow male writers had to be reminded at some point "Hey, remember that straight/bi women--as well as gay/bi men--play this game too, and they won't take kindly to you destroying their characters' long term romantic interest for a butt-pull plot twist." Of course, said 'cut' dialog lines might have also been meant as red herrings to fool data miners too; there's really no evidence either way.

Wasn't most of the main substance of that arc, and many alliance Alerts alongside, actually written by a woman?

Same thing with all the Arcann fans who demanded a romance with him despite the character trying to kill our Outlanders personally at least twice and murdering billions of people to hurt us multiple times. Apparently having a sexy voice behind the pixels can make people forgive any and all sins. Theron screwed up, no question, but at least he never nuked entire planets just on the off chance we might have allies there.

As for the actual topic of the thread... the reason there's no kill option for Lana is that she's the straight male writers' Star Wars waifu. Don't get me wrong, I actually like Lana and have ever since Forged Alliances came out. It's great to see a pragmatic, thoughtful Sith who isn't primarily motivated by murder or expanding a personal power base in the story. Cackling cartoon villain Sith or murder hobo Sith get boring and cringy real quick. Same reason I liked Darth Marr, as well as Acina (before they ruined her on Iokath).

That said, I really hate how the writers made her seemingly incapable of doing wrong or even making a mistake. She's the one who gives the orders during the "Keeping Up With The Valkorions" arc, not our Outlander. Players who didn't romance her still have her being the one to show up every time we wake up from a serious injury or come back from a traumatic event. Every chapter in KotFE in particular featured her in a 'starring' role, while in multiple chapters Theron was barely present or completely absent. We're pretty much doing what she wants when she wants in terms of story beats, and she's almost invariably portrayed as on the 'right' side of any dispute. It's not that Lana is a bad or unlikable character so much as the writers kept clumsily pushing her into prominence in almost every situation because she was their obvious favorite. This may or may not have been deliberate on the writers' part--subconscious biases can be very powerful and hard to avoid--but either way it got old real fast.

I totally agree. With SoR and Ziost it was evenly split between Lana and Theron but ever since KotFE Lana has been presented as the favored waifu that you're supposed to love no matter what and I hate it. It's like the writers can't even fathom that the player might not like her or even just might not want the world to revolve around her. I also agree that it seems like it didn't occur to them that straight women and gay men play this game too and might not like their one remaining love interest to suddenly become completely OOC and betray and try to kill them for no reason and had to change course mid way through the "traitor" story. None of the stuff the droid says on Iokath makes sense for a fake traitor and the "onoes the Gemini droid was somehow magically spying on us all the time somehow some way magically always" was never explained and didn't make any sense. It seemed like a band-aid for the "why wouldn't Theron tell us his plan if he was actually undercover and not betraying us?" question.

A lot of my resentment of Lana is her being shoved down our throat constantly. As much as I dislike her though, I don't need a kill option since most of my characters are LS anyway I just need an option to make her go away and not have to deal with her anymore.

Reasons Lana deserve a kill option:

1 -Rishi -proving she can't actually be trusted.

2- Lana only cared about you so she could use you as a puppet to lead the Alliance. You make it very clear that you didn't want to lead the Alliance and she didn't really care. Lana only cares about what Lana wants.

3- Constantly threatening to kill Theron after Umbara, even though you've told her you trust him. I'm sorry, but if you made it VERY clear that you trust your LI and someone KEEPS saying they want to kill him when you find him, my less than perfect LS character will kill them before they do.

Also, Theron NEVER betrayed your trust. Everything he did was to protect you and the Alliance. He even told you WHY he couldn't tell you, but he was dropping clues for you the entire time.

1) Rishi happened long ago by that point and she more than made up for it by getting you out of the carbonite you got yourself stuck in.

2) No. She cared about you more than that. However, she and everyone knows you're the only one the masses will follow to stop the Empire.

That said, it really makes no sense for your DSer to be in that place and a LSer would never have killed Lana. So there's that too.

3) You're blinded by love by someone who you only have your gut to say, "Theron is doing something he's not telling us."

However, let's go with what Lana said. LSer still wouldn't kill Lana. DSer wouldn't have put up with Theron not just saying, "hey, this is what's up." Or you know, taking the Commander aside and talking with the commander privately.

Theron decided to do it alone...again. You know, like he did on Zioth (sp?).

Lana has done nothing to be killed for other than save you and be snippy :p

Also, I love Lana. No killing her and we need her more and more in the story :)

Lana is also aware of our faction allegiances ... that makes her a security risk. If you leave Theron to die, the moment you get back to Odessen, half the galaxy knows what you did! She's a blabbermouth!

Satele felt Theron die and wrote you an email in great detail about it. And told you that she would make sure her son was remembered. So it obviously wasn't Lana who said anything.

Not to mention Vinn Atrius can also potentially be alive to talk, although I doubt that most people who killed Theron left Vinn alive.

No killing her and we need her more and more in the story :)

No we don't. We do not require babysitting and "advice" , we are supposed to be grownups and perfectly able to make our own decisions. If i want to be a staunch LS 5 Jedi, is my decision,not Lana's. If i want to be a homicidal DS 5 Sith Lord with the same morality as a potato again is my decision, not hers.

Also, I love Lana. No killing her and we need her more and more in the story :)

I like her and really don't need a kill option, but no thanks.

I'm alright with her having more screentime when she's the character's LI, but i don't need to see her face constantly when waking up when she's not my character's lover.

My main is with Theron, so she clearly should not have more screentime than him in my story.

I'm alright with her having more screentime when she's the character's LI, but i don't need to see her face constantly when waking up when she's not my character's lover.

My main is with Theron, so she clearly should not have more screentime than him in my story.

I fully agree. I don't mind having Lana around, but it is time to go back to the Forged Alliances system : Lana stays in base and provides support while we do the mission ( or flashpoint) with a companion of our choice.

Waking up with her in my face and in my room, when I didn't romance her, that's my biggest bone of contention right there. They should've made that scene change depending on the romance. It would've made a world of difference to me.

Waking up with her in my face and in my room, when I didn't romance her, that's my biggest bone of contention right there. They should've made that scene change depending on the romance. It would've made a world of difference to me.

Yeah that point is really the one that bugs me with her, other than that i really have no problem with her being around.

I would've been fine with seeing Lana's face when my character's LI is not around, but when said LI is in the same room, they should be the ones watching over us, not Lana.

On Iokath, it should've been Theron's face for my JK for instance.

Or Koth's after being impaled by Arcann on Asylum if you've taken some flirts with him and none with Lana.

Edited by Goreshaga

Whilst I have no desire to kill her or any other companions I wish the game wouldn't force her into every situation. For some of my characters, waking up to -her- face would have initiated a fight or flight response. Kinda don't like the game trying to force her as a best friend. I have a few characters who spent the entire forged alliances and onward bad mouthing and belittling her because they hate Sith on principal. She just feels like a pushover who takes their abuse, and forced on them.

But it's mostly the same for any character forced on us. I adore Theron but unless I'm romancing him, much like Lana I don't need him constantly around. Let them go back to being base based quest givers or something and allow me to run around with a companion of my choosing and stop forcing a friendship on characters who've made it quite clear they hate one of them. :o