Why is there no kill option for Lana?

Avashnea

Lana's unwavering loyalty is actually something I hate about her. I love a loyal companion if I EARNED their loyalty but she follows you around like a lovesick puppy regardless of what you say or do or how you treat her or the Empire. I even went so far as to test this with a recent trooper, every single conversation with Lana I chose the most hostile, rude, or mean option I could, I took every action she hated, fired on the Imperial ships instead of the Revanite ones, and even told her that if I ever saw her again I would kill her and when we meet again on Zakuul I still get the exact same "It's so good to see you!" line and had her act like she worships the ground I walk on. I HATE that. I hate characters with no sense of self, no self worth, no backbone. It's something everyone loves about Lana, the fact that she kisses your butt no matter what and doesn't stay mad at you for more than one throwaway upset line of dialogue in response to a choice. It's also something people hate about Koth, that he doesn't kiss your butt and that he will actually stand up to you based on your actions. I wish there were more Koths and fewer Lanas but I know I'm in the minority on this. I even remember one of the devs posting a statement on the old BioWare forums back in the day that was something like "the most popular companions are those who are funny and agree with everything you do." Even if they didn't want to have every companion have the option of leaving us if they hate us and our actions I wish they would react differently to us. Like some grudgingly follow us because the only way to stop the greater threat is together but they make their feelings clear while others are your enthusiastic BFF because you're always nice to them and all your actions align with their tastes and morals.

In any case I will be overjoyed if I can kick Lana to the curb. I play most of my characters as pro-Republic/anti-Empire so if that's the qualification for her leaving on her own I'll be set. Those few imperial loyalists will just languish after KotET forever.

I didn't hate Koth because he "disagreed" with my character. I hated him because of his attitude. "FINE! I'LL FIX THE SHIP ALL BY MYSELF!" What a toddler. And his snide remarks if you send him on crafting missions reek of, "How DARE you make me do any work?!?!" He was too much of a princess.

And his attempts to be "funny" always fell flat for me. I thought he was trying way too hard. He was also always throwing his opinion around about everything. You can disagree without getting on a soapbox in every conversation for crying out loud. Say it once, then keep it to yourself. Shoot dirty looks or something. No one cares about your overstated feelings.

He couldn't even challenge my character to a duel or something honorable if he felt that strongly about my leadership. No, he had to act like a rat, run away and steal the most valuable piece of property we had.

I purposely made him mad because I found him so annoying I wanted to remove him from the picture. I wish I could do the same with Lana (but I don't want to hurt the Empire).

Edited by Tamyn

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not an interpretation, he literally wasn't trying to kill you. The fact that the writers completely bungled the whole scenario and arc as a whole is another thing entirely because yes the train crash or jumping from the train would probably kill you and would definitely kill a non force user and that giant war droid could have killed you as well. It's like they were making it up at random as they went along with no thought or planning put in.

That being said, I don't begrudge edgelords the option to kill whoever they want for whatever reason they want as long as it doesn't affect MY game. If someone wants to kill Theron, great, have a good time but him being dead shouldn't be the default as it has been for every other character with a death option(except Arcann apparently?). Those who kill companions should just miss out on any extra interactions/dialogue the companion has, those who keep the companion alive should not have the companion turned into a silent brick because someone else wanted to kill everyone.

As much as I might think this companion or that companion is deserving of a kill option, at the same time, I don't think it's okay to write LI comps into a corner whereby making a kill option available [making it necessary in fact by the LI's actions], and I take no pleasure in the fact that some players will thereby lose a favored LI from future story. They really need to stop doing that in the future and I don't blame anyone for being upset over that.

If they can't make storyline options available to those that would be want that companion gone and those that would want them to continue with the player in future storylines, than they have to stop making LI companions do things that are even questionably disloyal. Non-LI companions, they can wack the crap out of them for all I care, but the LI ones need to be kept viable for all those who would want them in the future.

I can see no cause for anyone to take pleasure in the thought of someone else losing a favored LI effectively from all future storylines. I want as many happy players as possible, as that's good for all of us. We all love Star Wars, most of us want to see it continue and prosper as long as possible, and happy players is one of the best ways to facilitate that.

As much as I hate Theron and want nothing to do with him, I want every single player who likes him to be able to keep him viable. That's not really possibly now unfortunately because they did write him into a corner. Unless they will force him on players who would never accept him back [obviously I'm one of them], I don't see how they get him back into future storylines without making two seperate storyline arcs for that purpose [which I hope they do because I do recognize there are a lot of people who like that stinken pub :D ].

P.S. What exactly is an 'Edgelord'? The only definition of edging I'm aware would get me banned again if I used that term in the only context of the word I'm aware of heh - bom chicka wah wah :eek:

P.S. What exactly is an 'Edgelord'? The only definition of edging I'm aware would get me banned again if I used that term in the only context of the word I'm aware of heh - bom chicka wah wah :eek:

Around the forums here, it seems to mean, everyone who wants to kill companions for no real reason other than doing it because you want to? Or when someone hates a companion so ferociously.

So we're all Edgelords around here!

As much as I might think this companion or that companion is deserving of a kill option, at the same time, I don't think it's okay to write LI comps into a corner whereby making a kill option available [making it necessary in fact by the LI's actions], and I take no pleasure in the fact that some players will thereby lose a favored LI from future story. They really need to stop doing that in the future and I don't blame anyone for being upset over that.

If they can't make storyline options available to those that would be want that companion gone and those that would want them to continue with the player in future storylines, than they have to stop making LI companions do things that are even questionably disloyal. Non-LI companions, they can wack the crap out of them for all I care, but the LI ones need to be kept viable for all those who would want them in the future.

I can see no cause for anyone to take pleasure in the thought of someone else losing a favored LI effectively from all future storylines. I want as many happy players as possible, as that's good for all of us. We all love Star Wars, most of us want to see it continue and prosper as long as possible, and happy players is one of the best ways to facilitate that.

As much as I hate Theron and want nothing to do with him, I want every single player who likes him to be able to keep him viable. That's not really possibly now unfortunately because they did write him into a corner. Unless they will force him on players who would never accept him back [obviously I'm one of them], I don't see how they get him back into future storylines without making two seperate storyline arcs for that purpose [which I hope they do because I do recognize there are a lot of people who like that stinken pub :D ].

Yes, if BioWare can't write a follow up for a choice then they shouldn't include that choice (ex: being able to side with the opposite faction previously but being forced back into your original faction in future storylines). The kill option should never be the default option for any character. Someone who killed a character doesn't get that character or their interactions anymore, someone who kept them alive shouldn't have their game conform to the "character is dead" state by having that character disappear from all story and conversations and become a lifeless brick.

When I say "edgelord" I don't mean someone who takes some DS options or who hates and wants to kill a certain companion, especially if it's for an understandable and logical reason ex: "Arcann is a danger to the galaxy and can't be trusted or go unpunished for his crimes, he has to die." What I mean is someone who has that mindset of being as "grim" and "dark" and "edgy" as possible. They want to kill almost everyone if not actually everyone, they want to be able to kill or physically hurt any companion or character who annoys or talks back to them because "how dare they I'm a sith!" someone whose reasoning is not logical to the story and if this weren't a videogame with protagonist plot armor, their character (who is always a sith) would have been taken out a long time ago.

I don't really want to kill Lana. She's a bland bowl of vanilla pudding and a puppy that follows me around. That does not merit a kill, it merits a kick in the slats now and then, and I've done that by rejecting her then flirting with her, toying with her mind, as my Agent main (Ursule) should, as it is her wont.

I totally missed on the option to kill Theron on Nathema, which is kind of strange, but I did a lot of that stuff without a companion or another companion. Unless this is the Flashpoint, which I have not done and may well do now, but I'm back on Iokath and I think it's too late to kill him at this point, nooooooooooooooo!

Besides, I broke Theron's heart when I re-united with my One True Love (since SCORPIO is not a LI) Vector Hyllus, and that was morbid satisfaction me when he acted like a child instead of just being blasé about it, opening his comm unit and just doing something else. Or flying in a jealous rage, or ripping off his shirt and begging me to return. Not melodramatic enough. :(

The one I want to kill above all is Koth. When he revealed there was a bomb...and he hadn't told me until then, I would have put a bullet through his cranium then and there. No excuses for that level of treason. None.

I did kill Quinn during the "Quinncident", so I do not expect him back, but Pierce is a lout so I will not be doing anything with him (and never have....), honestly I'd rather shag Broonmark than Pierce. Skadge is just not on level with Wrath, he can clean the ship or something. Vette is, of course, always in Elegant Loungewear with fancy blasters as befits her station as Twi'lek (former) slave and dancer-for-life.

(Warriors get the shortest shrift on LI's, Quinn is fine, but a traitor. Pierce is a thug. You can't romance Vette as a female....eesh.)

Overall, I don't want a Kill option unless there's a realistic cause for it in game:

Betrayal, desertion, abandonment, treason, etc.

Lana doesn't deserve ot be killed, yet. I can simply "spacebar" her dialogue or not summon her as a companion if needed. Of course, if Empreess Acina wants to "share intelligence" in private....:cool:

(Then again, I really wanted to develop something with Vaylin. That kind of "dormant volcano" emotion would have made for some great parties!)

Edited by NeuroniaSW

I don't really want to kill Lana. She's a bland bowl of vanilla pudding and a puppy that follows me around. That does not merit a kill, it merits a kick in the slats now and then, and I've done that by rejecting her then flirting with her, toying with her mind, as my Agent main (Ursule) should, as it is her wont.

I totally missed on the option to kill Theron on Nathema, which is kind of strange, but I did a lot of that stuff without a companion or another companion. Unless this is the Flashpoint, which I have not done and may well do now, but I'm back on Iokath and I think it's too late to kill him at this point, nooooooooooooooo!

Besides, I broke Theron's heart when I re-united with my One True Love (since SCORPIO is not a LI) Vector Hyllus, and that was morbid satisfaction me when he acted like a child instead of just being blasé about it, opening his comm unit and just doing something else. Or flying in a jealous rage, or ripping off his shirt and begging me to return. Not melodramatic enough. :(

The one I want to kill above all is Koth. When he revealed there was a bomb...and he hadn't told me until then, I would have put a bullet through his cranium then and there. No excuses for that level of treason. None.

I did kill Quinn during the "Quinncident", so I do not expect him back, but Pierce is a lout so I will not be doing anything with him (and never have....), honestly I'd rather shag Broonmark than Pierce. Skadge is just not on level with Wrath, he can clean the ship or something. Vette is, of course, always in Elegant Loungewear with fancy blasters as befits her station as Twi'lek (former) slave and dancer-for-life.

(Warriors get the shortest shrift on LI's, Quinn is fine, but a traitor. Pierce is a thug. You can't romance Vette as a female....eesh.)

Overall, I don't want a Kill option unless there's a realistic cause for it in game:

Lana doesn't deserve ot be killed, yet. I can simply "spacebar" her dialogue or not summon her as a companion if needed. Of course, if Empreess Acina wants to "share intelligence" in private....:cool:

(Then again, I really wanted to develop something with Vaylin. That kind of "dormant volcano" emotion would have made for some great parties!)

I don't mind if we don't get to kill Lana as long as we can kick her off of our team and not have to deal with her. Most of my characters are LS anyway so a kill option wouldn't make any sense for them.

The part where you can kill Theron is a flashpoint called "The Nathema Conspiracy" so it's when you go there a second time, it's not during your first time there in KotET. The arc goes like: Iokath(second time)>>Umbara>>Copero>>Nathema(second time). Your opportunity to leave him to die is super obvious so you wont miss it.

Though I respect your opinions here, I'm not sure what makes Pierce a thug. I do understand he's not to everybody's taste, but he's also not a thug. He's just a soldier doing his job, a good one. That being said, I would take him over Quinn any day of the week (and in my head, my SW does that very thing...every day of the week... :p)

And you don't actually "kill" Theron. You have the option to leave him to his fate on Nathema, during the last flashpoint. So you don't actually see him die...which for me if you don't see it, it didn't happen. (Even though I would never ever take that option.)

Edited by Dracofish

Though I respect your opinions here, I'm not sure what makes Pierce a thug. I do understand he's not to everybody's taste, but he's also not a thug. He's just a soldier doing his job, a good one. That being said, I would take him over Quinn any day of the week (and in my head, my SW does that very thing...every day of the week... :p)

And you don't actually "kill" Theron. You have the option to leave him to his fate on Nathema, during the last flashpoint. So you don't actually see him die...which for me if you don't see it, it didn't happen. (Even though I would never ever take that option.)

Haha, okay. Thanks for calling me on the "thug" comment, it was a bit much.

I should have said "gruff" or "meat and potatoes" or some such. He's for sure doing his job. but for me there's a clear divide between our roles. I definitely want Pierce in the trenches but I'd rather have the "space cowboy" Vector above all, because the power possibilities are so immense. Lokin would be nice too, he's just subtly evil...and a rakghoul in the sheets? Mrawwwr! :rak_03:

There should be an option to banish or kill or let Lana be killed, since there was one to let Torian be killed. Let's face it, he did not deserved it.

Question : why should you have more "romantic" lines with Lana when I cannot have anymore with Torian? And no I don't believe for a second the " some VA are really expensive " explanation.

For those who dislike Lana so much, do you want them to spend resources on some kind of plot that would make her go villain and betray you just so you can kill her?

Or do you rather her being alive for however long and just have minimal screen time?

For those who dislike Lana so much, do you want them to spend resources on some kind of plot that would make her go villain and betray you just so you can kill her?

Or do you rather her being alive for however long and just have minimal screen time?

There's a problem here, there will be no such thing as " minimal time". There will ( probably) be new chapters requiring your character to have Lana with him/her to do a certain mission. I don't hate her, but I don't really like to have her with me all the time.

The latter. She doesn't have to die, as long as she's done taking center stage and it looks like she is so that's fine. I'd rather see resources spent on new content that's there for everyone to enjoy regardless of who their favorite is. Besides, creating a story-arc just to get a Lana-kill option still means additional focus being thrown her way, something centering around her and I really don't need that. If it had been there originally as part of Theron's traitor arc then fair enough but to create that opportunity now purely for the sake of? Nah. Things are what they are, just move on.

Yeah, I would be very surprised if Theron were actually dead. I think Satele picked him up and rescued him. We know he could survive long enough to handle a shuttle ride from Nathema to Odessen, so he could have survived long enough for Satele to get there and save him.

I've kicked Theron out of the Alliance on most of my toons, but even I can't leave him there, it's just too brutal.

Theron's really going to be the litmus test in the new content. If he is still there for the PCs who have kept him, I will be willing to believe that the devs may have changed their tune and might be willing to write for at least some killable characters instead of bricking them.

The latter. She doesn't have to die, as long as she's done taking center stage and it looks like she is so that's fine. I'd rather see resources spent on new content that's there for everyone to enjoy regardless of who their favorite is. Besides, creating a story-arc just to get a Lana-kill option still means additional focus being thrown her way, something centering around her and I really don't need that. If it had been there originally as part of Theron's traitor arc then fair enough but to create that opportunity now purely for the sake of? Nah. Things are what they are, just move on.

Basically how I feel! It's just not worth putting her as the focus again, for the sake of killing her. And yeah, I'm fine with her not dying.

Pierce is an insubordinate bully. The way he treats his superior officers should get him booted out of the army and the way he treated his female co-worker makes me want to boot him out of an airlock :mad: I'm sorry, but coercing someone into having sex against their will for your benefit is NOT OK!

Basically how I feel! It's just not worth putting her as the focus again, for the sake of killing her. And yeah, I'm fine with her not dying.

And I'm not OK with the " you must have Lana with you to do that" . PLEASE, for Scyva's sake ! I recruited everyone, what makes Lana better than Torian? Why do I have to lose my individuality and become a tamed docile person doing what I don't want to do?

Charles Boyd has already said that there's going to be less of a focus on both Lana and Theron, and it seems like with the shift away from the Alliance, that's going to be the case. I'd be very surprised if either of them had substantial screen time in 5.10's main plot.

As far as forced companions, I wish they would do away with those altogether, or let you take a companion of choice along with it. I hate having to do parts of KOTFE with Senya. Doc makes my skin crawl and I dread having to run that section of Balmorra with him when I play Jedi Knights. I resent having to gift Raina Temple so I can get through Copero with a companion that has more than Level 1 influence when she's probably never going to be used again. I hate having to have Skadge as a companion on parts of Belsavis on BHs.

If they're going to force companions for certain content, they should let the PC at least bring along someone they like as a second comp.

And I'm not OK with the " you must have Lana with you to do that" . PLEASE, for Scyva's sake ! I recruited everyone, what makes Lana better than Torian? Why do I have to lose my individuality and become a tamed docile person doing what I don't want to do?

Well, it's cheaper to have your same two companions for everyone, rather than paying voice actors for all the vanilla ones. That's why there's the two main ones.

Charles Boyd has already said that there's going to be less of a focus on both Lana and Theron, and it seems like with the shift away from the Alliance, that's going to be the case. I'd be very surprised if either of them had substantial screen time in 5.10's main plot.

As far as forced companions, I wish they would do away with those altogether, or let you take a companion of choice along with it. I hate having to do parts of KOTFE with Senya. Doc makes my skin crawl and I dread having to run that section of Balmorra with him when I play Jedi Knights. I resent having to gift Raina Temple so I can get through Copero with a companion that has more than Level 1 influence when she's probably never going to be used again. I hate having to have Skadge as a companion on parts of Belsavis on BHs.

If they're going to force companions for certain content, they should let the PC at least bring along someone they like as a second comp.

Yeah, I remember that as well, which is why I don't really get threads like these. They are not going to be the focus anymore, killing them requires them to have more focus!

That all depends on the writing quality. The traitor arc for me really ruined Theron's character with each flashpoint. Should her character end up in a scenario similar and to the same quality they gave his story, then yes I probably would kill her off too.

At this present time? I don't know. There are other characters I would like to see come back more than more Lana content but they will require the same resources too. (Watcher II, Vaylin, Valss)

Well, it's cheaper to have your same two companions for everyone, rather than paying voice actors for all the vanilla ones. That's why there's the two main ones.

I know is cheaper, but not really fair. You would certainly like to have Arcann with you . X would like Pierce. Z would like Vette. Me.. I would love to have either Torian or Mako or Akaavi for my BH. Jaesa ( if possible) for my SW.

By the way, now there's just one comp for everyone, since Theron Shan is dead in some stories.

Haha, okay. Thanks for calling me on the "thug" comment, it was a bit much.

I should have said "gruff" or "meat and potatoes" or some such. He's for sure doing his job. but for me there's a clear divide between our roles. I definitely want Pierce in the trenches but I'd rather have the "space cowboy" Vector above all, because the power possibilities are so immense. Lokin would be nice too, he's just subtly evil...and a rakghoul in the sheets? Mrawwwr! :rak_03:

Haha, I can live with that.

For me, or at least for my SW, she knows they are cut from the same cloth. Battle-born n' such. In the trenches, back to back, surrounded by the fallen. Hawt. :D

Pierce is an insubordinate bully. The way he treats his superior officers should get him booted out of the army and the way he treated his female co-worker makes me want to boot him out of an airlock :mad: I'm sorry, but coercing someone into having sex against their will for your benefit is NOT OK!

He's black ops...they are an entirely different breed than the standard rank and file. (Which is part of the contention we see on-screen with Quinn...not to mention he's from Ziost and is from lower-class stock on the grand scheme of Imperial society. I'm sure Quinn would tell you all about it, lol.)

And I'm not sure where he coerced anybody into having sex against their will? Unless you're referring to one of the former members of his squad...the one who was sleeping with a Moff (I think it was a Moff?) to get intel. That's a job. Spies do the same thing. Do what you have to do to get what you need. (Which, consequently, I also HC as part of Theron's backstory...they mention his good looks enough...I wouldn't put it past him to use his assets in that department...hell, he already did when he first met my SI/Outlander during Forged Alliances, lol). But I suppose we can all interpret it however we wish.

Edited by Dracofish

That all depends on the writing quality. The traitor arc for me really ruined Theron's character with each flashpoint. Should her character end up in a scenario similar and to the same quality they gave his story, then yes I probably would kill her off too.

At this present time? I don't know. There are other characters I would like to see come back more than more Lana content but they will require the same resources too. (Watcher II, Vaylin, Valss)

I mean more to say, what's the point in putting in the effort just to kill off a character because people want to? Her story seems.to be over in terms.of being a main character. I just don't get it, really.

I know is cheaper, but not really fair. You would certainly like to have Arcann with you . X would like Pierce. Z would like Vette. Me.. I would love to have either Torian or Mako or Akaavi for my BH. Jaesa ( if possible) for my SW.

By the way, now there's just one comp for everyone, since Theron Shan is dead in some stories.

Of course I'd like it, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen. I don't see it as a situation as fair Vs unfair. It sucks but it is what it is.

Yeah, I remember that as well, which is why I don't really get threads like these. They are not going to be the focus anymore, killing them requires them to have more focus!

IMHO that is where the edgelord description does fit. It stops being about killing and ejecting characters within the context of a reasonable story and becomes "I hate so and so and I want them dead because death stabby lightsaber death yay!"

They're not going to be the focus and they'll both probably be lucky to have five lines in each patch. If they do start writing more for the romances and do cut scenes with that, it's only going to be for the people who romanced those companions so they've also got nothing to worry about now.