How do you vote?

RudeDog

I was in a Voidstar match the other day and had a great game. I capped 2 of the doors, and was able to remove the bomb from the opposing team, and made it to the final computer for the win. I scored twice as many objective points as the next highest player and I was about 5 kills less than our top kills player, but was still in the top 3. I got zero MVP votes, which I found annoying because I felt I had played extremely well (beyond the norm for me).

That led me to think about how do I vote for people.

In objective matches I generally look at the objective score and total medals as the priority. I then look at healing score, then damage, and kills.

How do you guys score?

Whoever contributed the most to play the objectives to win the match.

Sometimes that means I’ll vote for the guy who guarded all match and didn’t once get to fight.

Sometimes it means voting for the guy who scored the most goals or the one that supported me in scoring.

I’ve pretty good situational awareness and I also use my big map as well as my mini map to see what’s happening.

I don’t ever vote for death match noobs. I don’t care how much dps they do.

I only vote for dps if they played properly and did a tonne of dps. The same goes for healers.

I watch who responds to inc calls or who is already on their way to help. All of those things are considered before I vote.

If nobody on the team was doing the right thing, I just don’t vote.

I was in a Voidstar match the other day and had a great game. I capped 2 of the doors, and was able to remove the bomb from the opposing team, and made it to the final computer for the win. I scored twice as many objective points as the next highest player and I was about 5 kills less than our top kills player, but was still in the top 3. I got zero MVP votes, which I found annoying because I felt I had played extremely well (beyond the norm for me).

That led me to think about how do I vote for people.

In objective matches I generally look at the objective score and total medals as the priority. I then look at healing score, then damage, and kills.

How do you guys score?

This has been asked many times before, so you'll probably get a few "mvp, lol" type replies.

Just don't sweat MVPs. Forget about what it stands for, because even people that want to use it to vote for the actual most valuable player - they also mostly likely did not actually see everything that was going on all match anyway. And most people don't even vote now.

Personally I don't have a specific order. If I'm in a group with some people, I will vote for someone in my group, because I think that's just considered "accepted PvP etiquette". Although, even then, sometimes I'll tell my "premade" that I'm voting for someone else for whatever reason.

I'm rarely in a group though. Things I consider... did someone peel/cc for me while I was capping. Did someone answer an "inc" call when I was guarding. Did someone guard an off-node and give timely inc calls. Or alternatively, actually sit there on the off node the whole game and watch it even though nothing happened there. Did a healer keep me alive the whole match? Damage number combined with me actually seeing them using that damage to protect a node. Anyone who backfills and doesn't get a chance to actually play - they usually auto receive my MVP, just because they didn't get a chance to really get anything out of the match otherwise. Or I'll MVP a tank who actually tanked... instead of throwing a guard on our healer and then proceeding to charge 1/2 way across the map as soon as the spawn door drops. Or any other stealth who understand how stealth works and helps me to ninja a node (either cc'ing like I said above, or taking the node while I cc). Etc. Etc. I don't worry too much about the *MOST* valuable player. I just look for someone doing *something* valuable.

Huttball is special. I'll always MVP that one other person who might actually be playing huttball (if there is one). We all know that if you solo queue, the max people you will ever get playing huttball is two. :p

About voidstar, I admit that the rest of your stats sound good, and it also sounds like you were paying attention and grabbing opportunities as they arose. But also don't forget that those opportunities were probably generated by your team. I know you didn't do this, but nothing makes me roll my eyes more than the person who exclaims, "I got all the doors, bridges and the final core in VS and zero MVPs!". Yeah, how do you think you managed to get all those things? It's because the rest of your team was killing off, slowing down, and otherwise keeping the other side distracted and away from you. Again, not saying you... but just remember, almost everyone in this game thinks that really the MVP is themselves. Because you can't spell "team" without and "m" and an "e"... "me". :p

About voidstar, I admit that the rest of your stats sound good, and it also sounds like you were paying attention and grabbing opportunities as they arose. But also don't forget that those opportunities were probably generated by your team. I know you didn't do this, but nothing makes me roll my eyes more than the person who exclaims, "I got all the doors, bridges and the final core in VS and zero MVPs!". Yeah, how do you think you managed to get all those things? It's because the rest of your team was killing off, slowing down, and otherwise keeping the other side distracted and away from you. Again, not saying you... but just remember, almost everyone in this game thinks that really the MVP is themselves. Because you can't spell "team" without and "m" and an "e"... "me". :p

Good points, but in order to get the objective points you have to play the objectives. I try to play objectives for all the objective maps and this one fell the right way. Other times I might play the same way and still get a top 3 objective score, but certainly won't do as well as this one particular match.

I guess my point is that I see a lot of the players playing death match on objective maps instead of playing the objectives. These guys seem to get a lot of MVP votes compared to their objective score, so I was curious how people score other people. It seems to me that people factor kills and damage much higher than factoring objective points. I'm not complaining about it, but was just wondering if others see it the same way. BTW, if I see a guildie in the WZ with me I will usually give them MVP.

I often not get voted when I am the only guy who scored goals, solo capped or basically solo carried the game. Sometimes I get 4-5 votes though, so I guess its eventually fair.

I personally put 1st priority on people who helped me with a specific objective. Like the sorc who pulled me. Or the guy who passed me the ball or to whom I passed the ball, or the guy who stunned at the right time for me to finish a cap, or was smart enough to start capping when I mezzed someone.

If there is no such guy then if the team wasn't toxic, annoying or worthless, I will probably go for the objective score. If everyone is kilometers below me on that category, I go for the healer.

Since the votes don't really do anything, when I run in groups I vote for my wife first, best other groupmate second, and when I run solo I vote for who I think had the most impact on the match. Sometimes that just means voting for someone that guarded a node all match, and never had to call for help, even though they have little to no stats.

But always the wife first. She's always the MVP of every WZ I have ever seen her play.

I often end up at 1st place in wz's (regs) . Win or loss, most of the time.

Most ppl vote for healer or their friends, very rarely I get more than 1 mvp, sometimes I get zero while being on top of the list. I often play skank, so I get dps, guard and points for objectives.

Dont get me wrong, sometimes I get like 4-5 mvp's, however, since the "matchmaking", I see ppl who dont know how to heal up out of combat, let alone vote for someone.

I got over 1k of votes on my skank, so I dont really care about those votes, but when I see some guy close to his death and I intercede, swap guard and basicly save his life and end up with 0 votes from the same person,

I'm thinking like "why did I even bother". :D

I often end up at 1st place in wz's (regs) . Win or loss, most of the time.

Most ppl vote for healer or their friends, very rarely I get more than 1 mvp, sometimes I get zero while being on top of the list. I often play skank, so I get dps, guard and points for objectives.

Dont get me wrong, sometimes I get like 4-5 mvp's, however, since the "matchmaking", I see ppl who dont know how to heal up out of combat, let alone vote for someone.

I got over 1k of votes on my skank, so I dont really care about those votes, but when I see some guy close to his death and I intercede, swap guard and basicly save his life and end up with 0 votes from the same person,

I'm thinking like "why did I even bother". :D

How do you define first place?

Do you mean dps, objective points, kills, solo kills, healing?

And why did you bother? Cause that’s your job as a member of the team.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

If you are a pvp star, you will get votes no matter what.

I remeber a lot of solo ranked matches were I had to carry a top rated jugg. He was a burden to the team as a dps jugg, being either globaled or 1st one to die, I had top dps and kills, however he got 2 votes from the team members while I got none.

I just don't vote anymore, unless I are on a premade or a granked group, so I follow the rules to vote down for a team member and everyone gets a vote. Some cases when someone carry a match with uber skills, I open a exception and vote for it.

Edited by RafaelPeretz

How do you define first place?

Do you mean dps, objective points, kills, solo kills, healing?

And why did you bother? Cause that’s your job as a member of the team.

I mean I end up at the top of the board when it comes to "stars". That includes, guard, dps, objectives and healing.

My "job" is to keep healer alive, not leave him without guard in order to save some dps who cant do 500k dmg for the whole match. I dont know if u played on DM server, but tanks in regs there rarely swap guards or do proper guarding at all. Not to mention tanks who dont guard anyone, thinking they can do dps or whatever.

1) friends or guildmates.

2) Anyone who did a good job

3) Not usually the top medal scorer, coz someone else will usually vote for them.

4) anyone I saw contributing a lot, or being sensible or making good calls and clear calls. anyone trying to co-ordinate the game.

5) but if its a shockingly terrible loss then I normally don't bother.

I never get hung up about it. It's nice to be appreciated, but not everyone votes, and they all have their own agenda, and it seems rude not to vote for your friends, so it's not a big deal.

I'm maxxed on valor anyways, so a vote for me is just a nice way of saying 'thanks.'

I mean I end up at the top of the board when it comes to "stars". That includes, guard, dps, objectives and healing.

My "job" is to keep healer alive, not leave him without guard in order to save some dps who cant do 500k dmg for the whole match. I dont know if u played on DM server, but tanks in regs there rarely swap guards or do proper guarding at all. Not to mention tanks who dont guard anyone, thinking they can do dps or whatever.

Yeah, stars are a good gauge. But you have to remember that same person may have had someone else help him, ie the healer.

It’s a shame you can’t drop 3 votes per match. There are matches where I’m torn as to who to vote for.

Ive also been on the receiving end of not getting any votes after carrying a whole team to a win by solo scoring 6 huttball goals or off healing and constantly pulling people who are trying to run the ball or holding up 6 of their team sole on multiple occasions in a game so my team can have a numbers advantage to cap another node (cause they couldn’t before) or when I carry an Arena match and don’t get a vote.

At the time, I think “F you” ,I basically got you that win. But it’s a quick out burst that is forgotten after I leave the match.

I spend a lot of time helping individuals in my teams. I’ll peel for healers, push people away that are focusing someone, pull some out of getting globaled. I constantly hard swap, it doesn’t matter class I’m on. I’ll waste my own DCD to get someone else out of the crap. Self sacrifice is just something I do if I think it will help the team.

It’s good that you guard and hard swap. Sorry if I thought otherwise. But as you said, not many do and I’m guilty of putting you in with that crowd. It’s good to see someone around who still has a clue.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I wouldn't worry too much about the MVP votes. Whether or not the actual MVP of a match gets the most votes is a bit of a crapshoot. Besides a lot of people simply not voting at all, some only vote for their guild or group mates, some are salty about getting farmed by you in previous matches and now won't vote you even if you singlehandedly carry, some may simply not have seen the things you did deserve to a vote, some may have voted for another player who was also deserving of recognition, some vote the healer every time ect, ect.

I know that it does a suck a bit though when it seems you're an obvious choice for at least one vote and get zero. As an example I had an all DPS arena match where I had twice as much DPS as #2, more damaged received than #2, and 7 of the 8 kills in the match. I got zero votes. #2 got three.

In the end it all evens out though. There will be other matches where you are deserving and get 4 or 5 votes, or some where someone else did better than you and gets the goose egg, while you get 2 or 3.

As for how I vote, it really depends on the match type and a lot of variables.

Like another poster in this thread a lot of times I'll vote for that player who I saw make a big play or do something smart, whether or not he or she was the best overall player on the team.

I might vote for the person who kept answering my calls if I got stuck guarding a node. I don't like guarding nodes, but if I capture one that is where I end up. Since a lot of people do not answer calls at all, even if results in losing a WZ, I think that deserves more recognition than the guy who stayed put at mid all match running an ultimately useless rotation.

If it is in arenas and there are no healers or tanks, top DPS that isn't me. Most of the time I top, so #2.

The best healer for those parsing dummy matches where the win was determined by who had the better, or more healers.

The tank that kept me guarded when I was a healer.

Sometimes the person who did a lot of DPS or Healing that didn't necessarily finish #1 on the leaderboard, but was close, and had a lot more damage received than whoever finished #1. I doubt many check the damage received stat however. To me the guy who did 2.5 million damage and received 2 million damage is probably better than the guy that did 3 million damage and only had 800,000 damage received. It's easy to top the DPS or HPS leaderboard if you were allowed to freecast most of the match.

The top DPS in Ancient Hypergate unless the team played stupid. (ex. fighting over Mid instead of delaying an enemy's cap, when it was too late to win with a Mid strategy)

The top objective player in Odessen. In fact Odessen is probably the one match where I consistently vote the same every time. The only numbers that really matter in that match are objectives. If you did over 3 million damage and had next to no objective points, you were one of the worst players on that team, not the best.

In Huttball whoever scored the most points.

Voidstar - usually a healer, because healing usually determines whether you hold doors and/or blow though the other teams.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

If anybody's done significant protection, I usually vote for them because tanks need love, too.

But in the node-style warzones like Hypergate or Civil War, I'll make a note of whoever's heading to the node to guard and try to remember to mvp them for it.

Failing either of those, I do frequently look to see who got the most objective points.