If Anthem Fails will SWTOR go down with it?

Decxswx

I once had a Mustang Cobra. Strength - went fast. Weakness - couldn't pass two service stations in a row. For me back then the strength outweighed the weakness, now many years older I drive a Mazda:rolleyes:

Sounds like my RX-7 move to Subaru Impreza to get better mileage and engine reliability

(Rotary to boxer engine)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously doubt you'll ever see another SW MMO ever again.. So you had better learn to love this one.

Yep. Really wish people would get this through their heads. WoW, love it or hate, won the MMO Wars. We won't see development of true MMO's again. SWTOR is it. Enjoy it.

LOTRO managed to get better when a new studio got their hands on it in year 9 or 10. In this case, even if Bioware Austin shut down, it could go to Bioware Canada or any other EA studio.

Why would EA do that though? Are people still thinking that SWTOR rakes in lots of cash for EA or something? BioWare manages to keep it financially fit enough to keep the doors open, but that doesn't mean that if BioWare were to shut down, this would be a game they'd keep around.

I suppose even if this game were down to one server with medium population, there'd still be people arguing that this game is doing just fine.

I suppose even if this game were down to one server with medium population, there'd still be people arguing that this game is doing just fine.

It could be one server and low population and the white knights would say its low because it’s summer or it’s low because it holidays or it’s low cause people went back to school or college.

They will say it’s fine until the switch off the servers and then they’ll rage at Bioware when it’s too late.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

It could be one server and low population and the white knights would say its low because it’s summer or it’s low because it holidays or it’s low cause people went back to school or college.

I have to say that I am quite afraid this is the case. When I started playing the game I was in a few guilds and all of them had members that were.....adults, meaning above 25 years old, had a job (or not) and played the game quite a lot.

Now, that was 5 years ago and I am not sure if its just me, but now I realized that everyone in the game seems to be 16-21 years old! Maybe its just that I have now actually found out about how old these people are, but thats how it is! The majority of the people I know in the game now are way below my age. Everyone is still in school! The funny thing about this is that many of those players have been in the game for years, meaning they must have started at the age of 15 with the game!

So yes, such people are very effected by School, Summer Holidays (summer job) but also are able to play very long hours due to this compared to us working people.

SWTOR may or may not be in danger when Anthem flops. EA doesn't put much money into it as is, so they might find it worth keeping alive a while longer regardless of Anthem's failure. But I'm 100% convinced BioWare will be put up on the chopping block when it flops. EA loves to buy out studios, pushing them into making new products that fail and changing existing properties for the worse, and then axing them when their profitability inevitably tanks. Visceral, Origin, Pandemic, Bullfrog... EA is practically a serial killer of successful and respected game studios.

https://kotaku.com/an-updated-list-of-studios-ea-has-bought-and-then-shut-1689498614

https://gamingcentral.in/top-5-game-studios-killed-ea/

https://heavy.com/games/2017/10/studios-ea-has-killed-visceral-games/

Edited by AscendingSky

I have to say that I am quite afraid this is the case. When I started playing the game I was in a few guilds and all of them had members that were.....adults, meaning above 25 years old, had a job (or not) and played the game quite a lot.

Now, that was 5 years ago and I am not sure if its just me, but now I realized that everyone in the game seems to be 16-21 years old! Maybe its just that I have now actually found out about how old these people are, but thats how it is! The majority of the people I know in the game now are way below my age. Everyone is still in school! The funny thing about this is that many of those players have been in the game for years, meaning they must have started at the age of 15 with the game!

So yes, such people are very effected by School, Summer Holidays (summer job) but also are able to play very long hours due to this compared to us working people.

I was in my late 30s when I started playing the game. Most of the people in the guilds I have been in for the first 4 years were between 32 and 66 years. A lot of us were between 38 and 50. The only young ones members were kids of the guild members.

The last guild I was in was a PvP one and I was the oldest person by 12 years and the next oldest was 7 years older than the rest of them. A lot of the time I felt like a fossil. I remember one was 15 y/o and couldn’t believe I was a 40+ woman. Back then I stilled used voice chat and Facebook, so he was pretty shocked when he found out I wasn’t joking. He got an even bigger shock when he found out I was also married to another woman.

....then axing them when their profitability inevitably tanks. Visceral, Origin, Pandemic, Bullfrog... EA is practically a serial killer of successful and respected game studios.

100% agree. EA are a slash and burn company. Every studio they buy ends up on the side like road kill.

I am legit worried about the status of SWTOR, this game is declining due to self inflicted wounds by Bioware. There hasn't been an expansion almost 2 years I think. Another one of their senior devs left yesterday I think that worked on this game.

Another big Issue is this STUPID level shifting and the need to be in a group to do operations. I want to find people to help me do this mission or world boss, but if there is no one around for me to play with(because it is a dying game because Bioware stabbed themselves in the foot) then that is content locked out by no fault of my own especially on the republic side. So either let us do OPS and world bosses solo or with at least fewer people like 2 for ops and 4 for world bosses. or get rid of level shifting.

The Senior Dev that left was working on Anthem, not SWTOR. He used to work on this game yes a while back, but hasn't in some time as he was shifted to anthem more recently with their "all hands on deck" maneuver.

Also, if you want to do operations, then join a guild. You can find pugs for the daily one at prime time on fleet or join a guild that does ops. Same for world bosses, there are groups that often form on the planets for world boss otherwise you can join a guild.

I'm on pub-side and within the last couple months, created a brand new guild out of people new and returning to the game (and i'm sure some older players) and we basically have a full group for ops on weekends and this being a late night guild. You just need to look for a guild instead of trying to run around solo hoping for pugs for content that is mean't for guilds. That IS your fault and the content is only gated from your decisions.

Edited by Talinis

Bioware have had production issues due to the Frostbite Engine.

Much like they had issues working it into DA:I which they had to work many extra development hours to re tool frostbite to work as an RPG engine.

Mass Effect Andromeda suffered the same issues but they didn't put the effort into fixing said issues and we all saw the horror upon release until bioware seniors reworked and fixed the issues (although the horrific story writing and voice acting could not be fixed)

Anthem is suffering the same. EA have put the future into using Frostbite because of how awesome it can make games look but its causing over development times for other studios, unnecessary pressure for the teams that are working around issues or trying to reinvent tools to get RPG games to work with frostbite.

Kotaku had a great article about Anthem not so long ago, I personally hate Kotaku but once in a while Jason Schreier does his duty and does some real investigation journalism .

Archive link : http://archive.is/HSHO0

Actually not really. That would require for him to be deemed incompetent and therefore not be promoted any further. At least one of those is not met.

You didn't get the principle right actually. Somebody who gets promoted until the state of total incompetence after already showing some incompetence before (here: as a producer of SWTOR).

We can only assume how far up the ladder he can still get before he shows 24/7 incompetence. :-)

Edited by Khaleg

Sounds like my RX-7 move to Subaru Impreza to get better mileage and engine reliability

(Rotary to boxer engine)

Between the Cobra and the Mazda was an RX-8. The R stood for Rotary and the X extremely unreliable - in my case. I live in Canuckistan - it wasn't a nice cold weather car

Anthem will have an impact on Bioware as a company, that means if Anthem fails the studio fails. However, if Anthem succeeds then it will also get more support than swtor so either way, swtor will be worse off.

I think that rings very true when it comes to the future of swtor and bioware.

IF Anthen fails or succeeds it spells trouble for swtor.

If Anthem fails then I dare say bioware will be at the point EA could just as easily dissolve them like they have so many other companies. At that point. swtor suffers greatly.

If Anthem does well, EA will want to keep that momentum going. Keeping a lot of focus on that game. They wont need all the resources they have devoted to Anthem as they did before it's release but I bet a lot would stay. Meaning swtor doesn't get back the complete resources that were taken from it months ago. swtor suffers and continues to limp along but clearly better than the option of Anthem failing. The death by a 1000 cuts so to speak.

Either way, swtor is at the point so much damage has been done it's highly unlikely anything great will ever be talked about when it comes to swtor. It will push along in some form of mediocrity if Anthen is a success playing to the cash shop with minor content updates but marketed to make it look like more than what it really is. Kinda like reading, "Galactic Legend" for the upcoming patch.

Edited by Quraswren

No...SWTOR will just get moved to another EA office and Bioware will go away. It's not like we'd get less content if Anthem fails...we've already hit rock bottom on that.

But why would EA want to take over something that just barely is worth maintaining? I suspect that SWTOR still lives by the grace of BioWare still existing. I think that BioWare find it worthwhile maintaining but EA? Nah, I don't think EA is interested in something like this. I doubt SWTOR is even on their radar anymore as long as the numbers don't go red.

And I do wonder how many people would quit if BioWare shut down and EA took it over directly.

Ah well, still all speculation of course.

But why would EA want to take over something that just barely is worth maintaining? I suspect that SWTOR still lives by the grace of BioWare still existing. I think that BioWare find it worthwhile maintaining but EA? Nah, I don't think EA is interested in something like this. I doubt SWTOR is even on their radar anymore as long as the numbers don't go red.

And I do wonder how many people would quit if BioWare shut down and EA took it over directly.

Ah well, still all speculation of course.

It's a valid question and I don't have a good answer for it except that I 'hope' it would still be maintained...but you're correct...EA has a history of closing studios (and games).

Yeah and there won't be likely an expansion until next year or this year's holiday at best. People leave all the time, no reason to freak out now. What Andromeda has to do with anything? Some devs did helped with that development but Bioware Montreal got eaten up by EA already, I doubt this game was affected by it.

Yeah, no. World bosses and Operations shouldn't be solo-able, that's the whole point of them, I think it's a bad idea locking a story arc's end by an operation *cough* Oricon *cough* but no, operations are already easy enough as are world bosses, the only WB that are any challenge are the DvL ones.

I do think that Anthem will be the reference point for how much investment Bioware will be getting, in a worst case scenario if Anthem fails Bioware gets eaten up.

I'll be happy to report to you then that Ben Irving is in fact the lead producer for Anthem.

Lmao. I guess it’s going to be “exciting” just like 5.0 gear grind was :rolleyes:

It makes you wonder just how well Anthem will do with him in charge when you consider how he ran this game into the ground.