Proposed Ranked Season Timing and Reward Changes

EricMusco

Ranked is about earning rewards through skill and not amount of games played. Implementing cumulative rewards will totally counter this, no matter how pricey the rewards are.

How are Season X tokens awarded at the end? Are they based on medals? If two players have same # of medals but player A is on the winning team player B is on the losing team does player A get more tokens?

I mean if any of that is true then there are already some compensatory mechanisms built in. Players who work hard AND improve will complete dailies and weeklies faster than players in there for material farming, and therefore also earn tokens at a faster rate.

I mean, I'm terribad, but I would never /stuck at the beginning of a match. Just like I don't bail from lopsided GSF matches, unless real life intervenes. But the presence of cheating, exploiting, wintrading, etc. cheapens the experience for everyone regardless of whether the older season rewards are made available again. I think the line can be drawn somewhere between "never available again" and "all available all the time." Personally, if I knew that, say, the Season 4 weapons were coming up in season, say, 13, I'd probably try to save up tokens for the next 3 seasons just to buy them.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's because there are conflicting objectives: shorter seasons vs new rewards. If you want new rewards, you're going to have to give them a long time to create them, and therefore long seasons.

These items aren't going to take a long time to create.

I've read some of comments regarding these changes and I understand both sides of the coin.

Old players want to preserve something that separates them from other by having high end rewards.

New players either missed the season, didn't attend or weren't simply good enough to reach those rewards, Luke furious armor, which is a iconic reward.

Now speaking as a player and not someone that knows how to program a game or whatever has to be done to maintain the game, wouldn't it be possible to grant something like a token of your participation in ranked?

You said that you will add old rewards and people can buy them, it's gonna be pricey, etc.

I read in the comments and I agree with that people can just grind the games, doesn't depend on winning / losing. You just go to ranked for the new currency.

Why not add this new currency and something that makes you "eligible" to buy the item. Like a golden token of girrada or something like that. That says that you can buy reward from bronze, silver and gold with no limits(regarding the amount of the currency you have ofc) . But having only silver token of girrada doesn't let you buy that furious gear but again you could buy silver and bronze rewards.

Since you said it's gonna be a permanent vendor. People just need to git gud in the next season, or with different characters, etc.

Edit. : also, will you make the new currency legacy bound or is it gonna be tied to a character. Will the old season 8 and 9 token be converted to the new currency or should we not save it.

And also. What are you going to do with exploiters and cheaters, who were confirmed by players of your game multiple times? I know they will just make new accounts but still. Will you let them, like you did til now?

Sorry if it was a little hard to read or to understand.

Thank you for making these changes, just please take a time and consider every aspect before you implement it.

Edited by KnightSarken

I've read some of comments regarding these changes and I understand both sides of the coin.

Old players want to preserve something that separates them from other by having high end rewards.

New players either missed the season, didn't attend or weren't simply good enough to reach those rewards, Luke furious armor, which is a iconic reward.

My bet is that old players don't want new players.

Because otherwise they weren't so toxic.

Tom Brady earned the purchasing power to buy a fancy sports car, even though his team lost to the Eagles in this year's superbowl (LII, 52). He just can't wear the ring or have a smaller version of the trophy. In fact, I'd wager there are a fair number of NFL players who played for teams in the playoffs who can buy a fancy sports car even though they are not on the Eagles.

This is a good example (eventhough I dont know the player or the teams :D ). Its fine for the rest to also be able to get some of the rewards yet the really top player get something unique.

However, make some rewards less exclusive (for example, weapons, armors, even mounts perhaps) and purchasable through hard work, and you may attract more participation.

This is true yet, I am afraid of how it will go in reality. Sure, it could work perfectly with new people trying ranked, improving because they realize they will never farm the (for example) 100k coms for the rewards. OR people might really be stupid and still try to get the 100k by afking. We wont know until we try.

I don't know why some of you are trying to talk the devs into giving out old rewards instead of creating new ones.

Its clear they have issues in the Dev team and its clear those will be longterm issues.So why force it? Evidently they are not able to provide any good rewards (yes they are doing CM stuff, but thats another team). So they are coming with compromises, it was like that since Keith started and its working fine. Besides the game seems to have A LOT of new players and very few of the veterans who actually have the old rewards, so they will be nice to get again.

So you're just recycling old content and essentially devaluing those rewards earned from players back in Season 1? Gotcha.

When we finnaly got the ranked Season 1 I didnt want to attend cause I thought its only for the very best people in PVP. I really wanted the Rancor. I did not participate, but what angered me in the end was that I didnt know about wintrading or anything but then I found out that guildies simply made 2 teams, qued at 2:00 am, did like 10-20 mathces got tier 1 and were done! So no, not all the Season 1 rewards have been "earned" and I suppose they didnt watch such things at all back then.

These items aren't going to take a long time to create.

You dont know that. Sure technically it does not take much time, but it depends on the item itself. If its gear, it has to fit all bodies, races, genders etc. A team will not have issues with this, but now there seems to be no team. I am fine with them going this "reduced" mode for a while if it means the game will go on and it will get better in the future.

You dont know that. Sure technically it does not take much time, but it depends on the item itself. If its gear, it has to fit all bodies, races, genders etc. A team will not have issues with this, but now there seems to be no team. I am fine with them going this "reduced" mode for a while if it means the game will go on and it will get better in the future.

Well I agree, with a team it will take a lot quicker. but one person can easily reskin a couple of items, or model and texture new ones in a couple of weeks.

It'll take less than a working day to model and texture a lightsaber.

Edited by DarthWoad

So you're just recycling old content and essentially devaluing those rewards earned from players back in Season 1? Gotcha.

Overwatch just gives you icons and points to buy golden guns. I don't get why people are so bent out of shape about rewards. Play competitive for your rank, not for the pointless reward.

To be honest I don't mind these rewards resurfacing , it combats account selling quite well. I understand that keeping it rare is what most want so I propose when the gear resurfaces it be re-coloured (item icons and dye)so when you inspect the person you can tell the recent rewarded version to the old one

Furious is red - (Re-coloured version blue) something different.

Keeps the veterans happy and then should keep the new players happy to get there hands on some nice looking rewards .

Well I agree, with a team it will take a lot quicker. but one person can easily reskin a couple of items, or model and texture new ones in a couple of weeks.

It'll take less than a working day to model and texture a lightsaber.

Ok could be. I really don't know the workload they have, but we can use the EC Rancor as an example. As you know the Eternal Championship has a chance drop for a Rancor that is a reskin of the Dread Palace NiM Drop Rancor. However, you dont see a lot of those around, do you? I have 2 on 2 characters, but its still a rare mount.

What I am trying to say is that reskin may not always be something which will draw the people into doing it. So if they say the rewards will be reskins, the participation might be much less if you actually get the original rewards.

Hey folks,

[*]Due to shorter Seasons we would adjust our Seasonal rewards

• Seasonal bracket rewards would be reduced overall. Ex: Each Tier might receive a Stronghold Deco, Title, and Flair
  • All Seasons will now use the same type of currency
  • We would implement a permanent Ranked Rewards Vendor which we would periodically add new items to, such as mounts, armor sets, weapon sets, etc.

-eric

Arent you doing this just to avoid making new sets and weapons for season rewards? Of course if you dont want to make new weapons and sets it is an easy way to avoid making new rewards by saying that seasons are going to be faster so we wont have time for any new rewards....adding rewards from previous seasons isnt a right decision tbh because people who participated during those seasons worked hard to get those time-dependent rewards

Edited by omaan

Arent you doing this just to avoid making new sets and weapons for season rewards? Of course if you dont want to make new weapons and sets it is an easy way to avoid making new rewards by saying that seasons are going to be faster so we wont have time for any new rewards....adding rewards from previous seasons isnt a right decision tbh because people who participated during those seasons worked hard to get those time-dependent rewards

I think without being too blunt they are a overwhelmed as they are planning alot of PvP changes and this will buy them some time to work on other aspects of the game. I'd rather them try and compromise for players then flat out say that rewards will be less worked on. Also for you guys at bioware I don't think talking about awesome rewards due to season length would be too smart after the last few seasons. :D

Edited by NOFORKNKNIFE

I think without being too blunt they are a overwhelmed as they are planning alot of PvP changes and this will buy them some time to work on other aspects of the game. I'd rather them try and compromise for players then flat out say that rewards will be less worked on. Also for you guys at bioware I don't think talking about awesome rewards due to season length would be too smart after the last few seasons. :D

For me it looks like this: "oh guys we have no resources to make new pvp rewards for you, so starting with next season you wont get any new mounts, weapons and sets which we cant design because we lack of resources but you will get rewards from previous seasons which doesnt require spending any resources at all".

This is very bad, and definitely will kill ranked pvp.

Edited by omaan

For me it looks like this: "oh guys we have no resources to make new pvp rewards for you, so starting with next season you wont get any new mounts, weapons and sets which we cant design because we lack of resources but you will get rewards from previous seasons which doesnt require spending any resources at all".

I don't agree because the old ranked rewards are sought after and there are more players without then with them anyway. Even it's retextured people will still go for it. This time people can play hard knowing the rewards will be good .

I'd say this is wrong. I think the majority of people who play ranked do so for the PVP and enjoy the competition. Rewards are just a side dish to the entree.

If someone only is playing for rewards then they should be fine with others having a chance at the same rewards they once had a chance to get. It has no effect on their own collection of pixels.

I find being territorial over rewarded pixels from the past petty tbh. I just don't care I guess, and find it hard to understand why others do. As long as time and "work" is invested to get the rewards I don't see any issue with it.

Giradda rancors should stay exclusive to people who actually played in S1 imo.

I have 2 of them. I really don't care if they come back. In fact, I actually would like to get them on some of my other toons.

Yeah, that 1500 rating must have been real tough to get

Especially when season 1 took place during a time where there was NOTHING in place to catch cheaters, so the devs weren't even making a token effort to put a stop to win-trading.

Someone PLEASE think of the sanctity of season 1!!

Edited by HaoZhao

These are excellent suggestions. Shorter seasons = good. Releasing old rewards = very good. Single currency that you can accumulate to earn prizes = excellent. Even more excellent would be making that currency legacy-wide and on the currency tab (to work like Command tokens do).

I understand people's hesitation about it, but most of the posters in this thread are just not being realistic about the current state of this game and the development that Bioware is capable of at this time. You guys do not have the time or manpower to make new rewards. It's as simple as that. In order to keep Ranked appealing, you've added crafting materials for the new augments (and made them the best/only reliable way to get those). At a certain point, that is not going to be enough. Perhaps you are reaching that point already.

For those of you asking for them to develop more, read what he wrote and use some critical thinking skills. It isn't going to happen. They do not have the time or the manpower to do it. They are not going to peel someone off the Cartel Market (the reason this game still exists) to do it, either. Especially when the only reason to do that is to allow people to keep their ego about rewards handed out 3 and 4 years ago.

They MIGHT put the minimal effort in that it would take to simply rename the gear/weapon sets to indicate their difference from the originals, but you all will guaranteed complain about the new names and hate them. I still think that is the best suggestion however to appease the the "those are mine and nobody else's!" people, but make those items available to any who were not even playing the game at that time to earn them. And more importantly, make truly sought-after rewards available to KEEP RANKED GOING for the future.

And, as mentioned... it's not like win trading to earn rewards is a new thing. I know several people who win traded to get the furious weapons and armor sets. Not everyone did, but enough did that it already isn't the special trophy to greatness that most hold it up to be in this thread. There are exceptions, great ranked players that can be named and recognized for sure. But then there are lots who bought accounts for that gear, win traded for it, or otherwise got it and became the equivalent of "a mat farmer on Giradda's rancor".

The important part is to keep people playing the game, playing ranked NOW. Killing the momentum of the player base by stifling rewards ideas at this stage of the game is just bad for business. Being selfish will only hurt the game in the long run, and not recognizing what the developers are/are not capable of at this time is short sighted.

Shorter seasons, old rewards at premium prices that you can work over several seasons to earn (no titles), slightly rename or otherwise indicate that the old rewards were not earned in the original season = the best compromise at this point in time. I hope that Bioware will stick to their guns on this and move forward with it. (And by sticking to their guns, really follow up on the shorter seasons thing, which has been promised before and that promise has never been kept yet).

^ this is about the only person who actually gets what is going on.

a few extra points, some of you have mentioned, and I'll reinforce and maybe clarify.

1) backfilling and wintrading has been a thing a thing since season 1. you rancor mount is not special, your furious gear is not unique, your rewards to anyone who actually plays ranked are not a level of skill at all. we don't care, and we don't respect you unless we've dueled you, or fought against/alongside in that season

2) all rewards are buyable as long as you have crazy amounts of tokens.. like mat farmers. "earned" just means you didnt have to pay for it.

finally, 3) lot of people have gear from other seasons who have only played for 3 months. guess how? ask lyala.

Ranked has no sanctity, it has no meaning. you are playing a video game that was designed to demographic to 13+ not some high end competive "CS:GO" game. get over yourself, its a cosmetic game, not some 100k reward for london tourney