Swtor future looks bright! Possible engine change coming?

olagatonjedi

Another person for the /ignore list .... have fun guys ....

No kidding. What a brutal clickbait thread.

Although, it *was* 4/20 yesterday, so who knows what OP was on when they came to this conclusion... or that they actually think what's happening in SWTOR these days is optimistic/bright-future even in the slightest.

Edited by PetFish

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'd probably revision and relaunch the game and have everyone start fresh rather than trying to convert every save and code for new engine.

Can you imagine the news if they did this?

"Hey guys, SWTOR has been so successful that we decided to re-launch SWTOR with a NEW ENGINE!!!!! New improved graphics, a new gaming engine, open-world PVP, new maps AND a brand new story starting with all new characters and all your favorite voice actors!"

Would you guys buy it?

"Hey guys, SWTOR has been so successful that we decided to re-launch SWTOR with a NEW ENGINE!!!!! New improved graphics, a new gaming engine, open-world PVP, new maps AND a brand new story starting with all new characters and all your favorite voice actors!"

Would you guys buy it?

I don't know. I have so much time and money sunk into this game, I don't know that I could abandon all of that. But the lure of my favorite voice actors having new content would hard to resist. If it really was MY favorite voice actors. Richard Teverson yes. Jennifer Hale no. And the style of graphics is important too. I'm not fond of the "improved graphics" in FE/ET, so going that direction would be more of a turn off.

SNIP...

What so you think?

I've seen nothing actually in game due to biowares actions that supports the game is moving in a positive direction. Not in the game engine, not in participation, not in balance and all the recent large changes have given the players more reason to be negative. Removing fun and entertaining activities or adjusting those activities that makes them less fun and entertaining does not instill optimism. Taking months to a year to continue to adjust them that never get them back to the fun or entertainment they gave does not instill optimism. A year of nerfs with more to come does not instill optimism. Little to no solid communication does not instill optometrist. Little to no new content with such long draw out moments of old stale content does not instill optimism.

Until bioware actually does something that pushes the game onto a more positive note. I've got little to no optimism in what bioware is doing and has been doing.

Edited by Quraswren

I've seen nothing actually in game due to biowares actions that supports the game is moving in a positive direction. Not in the game engine, not in participation, not in balance and all the recent large changes have given the players more reason to be negative. Removing fun and entertaining activities or adjusting those activities that makes them less fun and entertaining does not instill optimism. Taking months to a year to continue to adjust them that never get them back to the fun or entertainment they gave does not instill optimism. A year of nerfs with more to come does not instill optimism. Little to no solid communication does not instill optometrist. Little to no new content with such long draw out moments of old stale content does not instill optimism.

Until bioware actually does something that pushes the game onto a more positive note. I've got little to no optimism in what bioware is doing and has been doing.

I appreciate your interpretation.

Would you guys buy it?

A lot of people probably would. That's what Square Enix did with FFXIV, which turned that game from an abysmal failure to an overwhelming success, with player populations and revenues that are far above what TOR has now.

Me personally? I'd be ambivalent. I'd probably only be interested in signing up for TOR 2.0 if it was created by a different studio than BioWare. They've lost their 'mojo' (along with their talent and their funding by EA) and I don't trust them to build a better game.

Edited by AscendingSky

A lot of people probably would. That's what Square Enix did with FFXIV, which turned that game from an abysmal failure to an overwhelming success, with player populations and revenues that are far above what TOR has now.

Me personally? I'd be ambivalent. I'd probably only be interested in signing up for TOR 2.0 if it was created by a different studio than BioWare. They've lost their 'mojo' (along with their talent and their funding by EA) and I don't trust them to build a better game.

Don't worry. I expect the BW name will go away as soon as Anthem flops. The name is all that's left of BW anyway, now.

Don't worry. I expect the BW name will go away as soon as Anthem flops. The name is all that's left of BW anyway, now.

In a sort of evil way, I secretly was thinking maybe if Anthem flopped, they'd see the light and push their resources, time, money into SWTOR. :D

I mean they have Star Wars movies pushing an entire ad campaign without even trying along with an immense fan following.

It just really seems like a lost opportunity they have. Sort of like sitting on a goldmine, but not wanting to change the sitting position because it would require having to get up.

I don't think anything could topple a Star Wars game, if they really put their focus on it.

Imagine how great SWTOR could be if EA decided to give BW endless resources and genuinely worked to make it the best MMO on the market!

In a sort of evil way, I secretly was thinking maybe if Anthem flopped, they'd see the light and push their resources, time, money into SWTOR. :D

I mean they have Star Wars movies pushing an entire ad campaign without even trying along with an immense fan following.

It just really seems like a lost opportunity they have. Sort of like sitting on a goldmine, but not wanting to change the sitting position because it would require having to get up.

I don't think anything could topple a Star Wars game, if they really put their focus on it.

Imagine how great SWTOR could be if EA decided to give BW endless resources and genuinely worked to make it the best MMO on the market!

If Anthem flops, Bioware will go under and take swtor with it. I can’t imagine EA keeping the Bioware studios open if Anthem flops. We’ve all seen how mercenary EA are when it comes to what they do when something isnt a block buster out of the gates.

It’s why they trashed this games resources within months of the release. If they’d supported swtor all the way through, this game would probably be phenomenal because the old talent wouldn’t have been fired or wouldn’t have all left or been moved to other EA projects. They may have even made swtor 2.0 or updated the engine by now.

There is zero hope for a swtor 2.0 from Bioware or probably EA.

There is less than zero chance this game will ever get an engine change and the OP knows it.

The whole notion of this OP making this thread is laughable. The only reason I’m posting in it is because there are some intelligent people here to discuss things. If the OP was doing the usual trollfest through the thread, I wouldn’t even bother.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

If Anthem flops, Bioware will go under and take swtor with it. I can’t imagine EA keeping the Bioware studios open if Anthem flops.

The whole notion of this OP making this thread is laughable.

The only reason I’m posting in it is because there are some intelligent people here to discuss things. If the OP was doing the usual trollfest through the thread, I wouldn’t even bother.

I view threads as a seed, and posts are branches that grow from the plant of the seed. It doesn't matter who plants the seed. :)

Its fun derailing negativity with genuine positivity and that's what we did here.

When it comes to a thread, there are no rules where you take it even when the narrative has been set as it was here, plus we can choose who to engage and who to ignore. :p

If Anthem flops, Bioware will go under and take swtor with it. I can’t imagine EA keeping the Bioware studios open if Anthem flops. We’ve all seen how mercenary EA are when it comes to what they do when something isnt a block buster out of the gates.

It’s why they trashed this games resources within months of the release. If they’d supported swtor all the way through, this game would probably be phenomenal because the old talent wouldn’t have been fired or wouldn’t have all left or been moved to other EA projects. They may have even made swtor 2.0 or updated the engine by now.

There is zero hope for a swtor 2.0 from Bioware or probably EA.

There is less than zero chance this game will ever get an engine change and the OP knows it.

The whole notion of this OP making this thread is laughable. The only reason I’m posting in it is because there are some intelligent people here to discuss things. If the OP was doing the usual trollfest through the thread, I wouldn’t even bother.

I pretty much agree that Biowares future really does depend upon the success of Anthem. But, if you step back and look at the success and failures of this game you really can't fault anyone but Bioware since they chose the time period, the game design and the engine that the game was going to be built on. And not to mention that it had around a $200 million dollar budget and still had to go ftp within 10 months of release. EA has given them more than enough time to prove that this game needs more resources thrown it's way. What this game needs is a SWTOR 2.0 and since it isn't very likely that it will happen it only gets the dev time and resources that we have grown accustom to.

Just wanna say first that the devs are certainly welcome to chime in if they have any info that would confirm or deny....

That said, with my understanding that enough resources were used to not only redesign the back end of the conquest system, but also a near-full revamp of the conquest system as well, and with the large scale rebalance of classes, perhaps Im being a bit optimistic about the chances that they have not only the funding, but the resources and intent to improve other aspects of the game on a large scale, which very possibly could be an engine update/switch.

Does anyone feel any similar optimism based on the feedback they have given about improved participation, balance being bettr achieved, and all of the recent large changes. I could also see how breaking up op releases into a boss every few months would free up resources for other areas of the game as well.

What so you think?

With everything going so well, why would there be any need or desire to change the engine?! With the rest of the game being so perfect, why mess with anything?

With everything going so well, why would there be any need or desire to change the engine?! With the rest of the game being so perfect, why mess with anything?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing TBH, the engine seems fine to me? No idea what OP is talking about.

This Game is to old for EA to invest in an engine change. I don't imagine this game will last more then a few more years before they shut it down.

As for Anthem, Mass Effect Andromeda looked awesome at E3 at the time also but ended up being a rather bad game. EA likes to make their games look all shiny looking in order to get high initial sales but their games hardly ever come through on any game depth and usually has tons of bugs... I don't have much hope for Anthem, hopefully I'm wrong but I doubt it.