Glad for People That Don't Have Shae/Nico, But What About Those That Do?

arunav

I'd like to remind everyone that Eric did mentioned (and Keith for that matter IIRC) that they planned on new subscriber rewards for us Soon (a month or two ago). However, I believe the reason the did this type of reward was to entice former subscribers to return to the game with this offer Shae & Nico for them.

I've been participating in their Team Shae & Nico polls on FB and they mentioned it in passing what it was for. If it brings more returning players, I think that's a good thing, don't you all?

I can understand how many might feel 'slighted' by this; however, in light of why they are doing it, I'd hope people could see it for what it is and not take offense to this marketing model they're using. That's all this is, nothing more, nothing less.

A couple thoughts:

1) Current subs are already subbed. The promo might create some subs. Re-offering rewards might cause some subs to cancel (we've already seen claims of that on the forums). So this could be good, bad, or a wash. It's certainly no guarantee.

2) I can't remember if they said "new" subscriber rewards or "more" subscriber rewards. This isn't very promising for the "new" claim.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had Nico and Shae since the original release of them... while anyone who did not had to suck an egg. That is a notable time based reward in the context of these two companions. So I disagree with your pejorative. ;)

I have both, but that's not the reason for my response to the thread topic.

True, I've had them from the original time they were given, so that means I've gotten to enjoy them since that time. But, my response to the question regarded now, not then.

For those who have them, what do we get? My response was 'We get nothing'. Compensation? No. So while I agree that time with said companions is in itself a reward, it's not compensation for re-offering 'One Time Only' rewards a second time.

Do I expect compensation? No, although it would be nice. Do I care if they're re-offered? No.

I do feel that if something is going to be branded 'one time only - exclusive' by a company, then it should stay that way. I would feel the same if the Party Jawa were re-offered, a reward that was offered before I began playing SWTOR.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

where is this information coming from?

I have done a bit of searching and i cannot see any official info that people are actualy getting Nico and Shae? I mean... I think that its a good idea to give newer people another chance at them, I'm just trying to see where you are getting the information that they ARE getting a chance at them?

It's the top news item on the FRONT PAGE.

They should make customizations for Niko and Shae that can only be received as a subscriber reward, and each time they release the reward after you first acquire the companion, you receive the next customization.

While I already have them, I'm happy for people. And it's - only - Shae and Nico, it's not like people are receiving the bonus chapter, too, which I would think would be cause for a bigger uproar, or even HK-55, or the many sub reward weapons. They're not even giving away Ranos, who isn't even a sub reward, it's literally just two companions.

- Edit -

I'd like to remind everyone that Eric did mentioned (and Keith for that matter IIRC) that they planned on new subscriber rewards for us Soon (a month or two ago).

I've heard the same thing. I dare say we need only wait till summer to find out if this was true. This was probably done to appease the whiners a little, because God knows if they miss another batch of sub rewards they'd whine about that, too.

Edited by TyonYlle

Hey, maybe the tokens to start the recruitment quests for these two will be possible to sell to a vendor for half a mill each :D

....yeah, probably not :(

I thought the Nico vs Shae thingy on social media would result in the winner being given out. Didn't think they'd hand out both at once. I don't mind/care that those who missed out the first time will get them now, but yeah, what about us who already have them?

Why not give out one old and one completely new comp so everyone would be happy(er)?

Only found out about it this morning. Bit annoyed, but not surprised. And good for the people who previously missed/wanted them.

I suppose they consider the fugly Chiss speeder and latest box of armor to be the sub reward.

Well we got it for being subscribed at a particular moment in time, so it fits the definition of a subscriber reward no?

While I already have them, I'm happy for people. And it's - only - Shae and Nico, it's not like people are receiving the bonus chapter, too, which I would think would be cause for a bigger uproar, or even HK-55, or the many sub reward weapons.

Not yet. The precedent is there now. They don't even need an excuse, seeing as they didn't excuse these. And I'm not sure why companions are an only thing. I'd say that would be more appropriate for the butt ugly black-purple striated colour crystals. Guess I'm giving them ideas now.

A couple thoughts:

1) Current subs are already subbed. The promo might create some subs. Re-offering rewards might cause some subs to cancel (we've already seen claims of that on the forums). So this could be good, bad, or a wash. It's certainly no guarantee.

Well, if those who threaten to quit over something like this, it is their prerogative to do so. However, after reading through 4..now 5 topics dealing with this the only conclusion I get is "a sense of entitlement." If a select group of former players are targeted with a marketing campaign, those not involved feel they are entitled to get something for being "subs or whatever." The only thing we, the subscribers, are entitled to are those things our subscription give us and any other perks we've earned through legacy or if BWA gives us extra. Nothing more, nothing less.

Unfortunately, in today's society, entitlement is a major problem. Currently, the US Army is returning to the past in how they trained new soldiers. Reason? 'Entitlement recruits.' They (recruit training command and Army command) appeared to have had enough of this. Here, we are seeing the same thing. I guess people believe they are entitled to something special if someone else gets a special reward, much like participation trophies. :rolleyes:

2) I can't remember if they said "new" subscriber rewards or "more" subscriber rewards. This isn't very promising for the "new" claim.

I'm pretty sure it was 'new' subscriber rewards. I believe we may see some of this starting April IIRC. Either way, I'm satisfied that BWA is rewarding all its players in some form or fashion.

Edited by Ghost_Spectre

Unfortunately, in today's society, entitlement is a major problem.

It certainly is - some people just can't accept that they didn't qualify or earn an item, so they demand it be given out again. Talk about a "participation trophy".

I have done a bit of searching and i cannot see any official info that people are actualy getting Nico and Shae? I mean... I think that its a good idea to give newer people another chance at them, I'm just trying to see where you are getting the information that they ARE getting a chance at them?

Neither could I, however I think people are assuming that the current swtor companion vote event (on FB or Twitter dunno which) means BW will be giving people Nico and/or Vizla. I detest them both - I already have Vizla and I don't want Nico. The only giveaway companion I was in favour of was Darth Hexid, since it was pretty clear the dark v light event was never going to end up with the dark side winning. Remember it was so one-sided to the light that they had to alter it?

I have no issue with them bringing back old rewards. I have some, I don't have others. I do feel that something else should be given to those who already have whichever reward it is at any given time. The who deserves what argument is moot now. BW has never said they would not repeat timed rewards and they have decided to repeat them. They need to ensure that every sub is rewarded at this point by including a third reward that has not previously been given, or they need to compensate those who already have the reward with cartel coins of an equal value to the reward given. In this case, they are giving out companions. There are companions on the CM that they could use to assign a value. CC's would compensate those who already have Shae/Nico and not introduce another reward that would start the cycle over again.

I'm placing my bet that on Apr 4, we'll see threads created by players demanding to know where their Shae Vizla and Nico Okarr are since they were subbed on Apr 3, as well as threads created by those demanding a "third chance" because they "just missed the deadline" or "didn't know about the promotion".

My bet (so far my bets have been more accurate than yours concerning these rewards btw) is that Bioware will listen to said Apr 4 demanders and give them out again in the future, as they should... because no one has exclusive rights to any of it... as we have all known all along...

It certainly is - some people just can't accept that they didn't qualify or earn an item, so they demand it be given out again. Talk about a "participation trophy".

Pretty much. ^

Makes all future subscriber rewards kind of a joke when you know you can just get them later if you whine enough. bioware will just hand them out.

Edited by Quraswren

Well, if those who threaten to quit over something like this, it is their prerogative to do so. However, after reading through 4..now 5 topics dealing with this the only conclusion I get is "a sense of entitlement." If a select group of former players are targeted with a marketing campaign, those not involved feel they are entitled to get something for being "subs or whatever." The only thing we, the subscribers, are entitled to are those things our subscription give us and any other perks we've earned through legacy or if BWA gives us extra. Nothing more, nothing less.

Unfortunately, in today's society, entitlement is a major problem. Currently, the US Army is returning to the past in how they trained new soldiers. Reason? 'Entitlement recruits.' They (recruit training command and Army command) appeared to have had enough of this. Here, we are seeing the same thing. I guess people believe they are entitled to something special if someone else gets a special reward, much like participation trophies. :rolleyes:

Do you mean like how those who did NOT meet the requirements to receive either of those companions during the original promotions felt they were ENTITLED to them anyway and came to the forums demanding the BW make them available again?

Yes, you are right. Entitlement IS a major problem, but that "entitlement" problem is those who want what others have and not those that have things others covet.

I'm annoyed by this. Not for those who are new to the game, but for those who couldn't be assed to keep their subs going for 'reasons'. I already have Shae Vizla and Niko on all 54 of my characters. I've been a sub for 6 almost 7 years, what exactly am I going to get for keeping my sub going even now? I'd like something new, maybe veteran rewards for still paying and playing. I have my Founders title, my Party Jawa and all the other subscriber at certain times, etc awards, but with STILL being a sub, I get nothing? Boooo.

Yes, you are right. Entitlement IS a major problem, but that "entitlement" problem is those who want what others have and not those that have things others covet.

Yes, and entitlement will never go away until such time those in charge of this game among other things, take a stand and tell them NO. If they don't like that answer, leave. My children tried that on me, 3 girls. I broke them of that real quick. When I see people crying for something they do not qualify for, or want that someone else wants 'just because,' I shake my head and blame their biological parents. Clearly, they didn't instill those values I grew up with and imparted to my own children.

Yeah, I don't like that they keep doing promotions for people who aren't loyal subscribers. They offer extra game time or cartel coins to people who subscribe to the game and ongoing subs don't get that, for example.

The last thing they did was a year ago when contineous subscribers got a whoppy awful decoration xd

I did like the monthly sub rewards in forms of an actually unique and somewhat iconic speeder and Niko ocar before 4.0

Try the official news blog....I have no idea what and where you have searched, but it was rather something in your bathroom than that specific info on the internet. :-)

Edited by Khaleg

Its such a short reward window who's to say that's all subs will get? Hopefully at a minimum they throw in some customizations for them later in the month so that prior subs get "something". Think the anger sharks are swimming now? Wait until new subs get that Shroud of Memory alliance alert and HK shine. I imagine that outrage will be spectacular. Calm yourselves now and calm yourselves early. Go ahead and prepare yourself for it mentally as you read this. All this "entitlement" talk is nonsense. These aren't things you earned. By this threads standard of argument if I go to the Goodwill and score a horrorshow disco shirt that someone else had already rocked out in for years in the past before I was born and wore it I'd be "entitled". You are not an exclusive club member you are a subscriber and there are plenty of perks for being one. It's a game. Enjoy it. Have some fun. Have fun watching OTHERS have fun. If you can't do that you're doing life wrong... Edited by TyrFoge

As suggested in another thread

Maybe give those who already earned Nicco and Shae *unique* customizations for these companions?

Ashur

Or give us "non-unique" ones (i.e., let the new players have them also). Just so we get *something* new. TBH, "young" (original trailer) Shae/Nico customizations would be awesome.