MOBA Style Warzone!!!

Zidovain

Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA)

As the title says. I propose a warzone desigend as such. MOBA's is and have been a very popular gaming platform for years now. I would think, SWToR should tap in it. Yes yes, before any violent reactions, just hear me out for a bit :wea_01:

This is something that just hit me and I wanted to share it right away, that said, I wouldn't have in-depth mechanics in place to spice up your imagination. However I will have few details as how I imagine it to be in the typical MOBA style setting. That said, the map will have this typical layout:

http://i68.tinypic.com/orkow0.png

Mechanics:

1) 5v5 or 8v8??

2) There will only be a finite number of "creep waves". This will keep us in the 12-15 minute warzone like a civil war or a voidstar. So I'm thinking 3 to 5 waves.

3) Each wave gets stronger every time they spawn. May consist of Sith and Jedi, rancors, wampas, super droids and the likes. Finally a "HERO" will join the last and final wave. For the Empire it's (but not limited to) Darth Malgus and for the Republic it's (but not limited to) Satele Shan. Each HERO will remain at the base to defend it until the final wave where the hero will join the wave and go on the offensive.

4) The objective is to ultimately destroy the enemy base (shocker).

5) Players respawn at the base and the respawn time go up by 10 seconds every time they die. This will eventually allow one side to successfully make a "PUSH" into the base.

I know the idea is crude and the details are minimal. But I think it's enough to give us a picture of how it works. IMHO it can be really fun. :D

Edited by Zidovain

I love the idea!!! Good description too.

WoW has something going into that direction, people seem to love it.

I've never actually played any MOBAs or anything like that, but it sounds interesting!

IKR! Would be great to have this one. Thanks!

In a magical land with no lag, maybe. Convince me they can fix the server lag now in ops and other places, then fine.

Otherwise, this game's engine just can fit enough hamsters on the wheel for it.

True. BW has got to do something about that "lag".

No, the new instance, it was on test a few weeks ago. 10/10

Unless WoW has changed it, Alterac Valley used to be 40 Vs 40.

Would you be referring to Alterac Valley?? That was some crazy stuff there. I think it's a 16v16 or 20v20! lol

Sounds like fun! I dunno if the game can handle a largely populated warzone but if it could it would be AWESOME. With regards to that I actually am unsure. I did put 5v5 or 8v8. But more players certainly would make it more interesting. Perhaps a 12v12 or 16v16.. 20v20 or more?

no thanks I don't like moba's.

:(

MOBA is the new kid slang for RTS. If you've played Starcraft or Command and Conquer, you've played MOBA.

Action real-time strategy (ARTS) or RTS spawned as a subgenre of Star Craft and other strategy games which was latrer known as MOBA's.

I thought MOBA was things like League of Legends. Was I wrong?

You are correct. DotA, Leage of Legends, Heroes of Storm, etc.. are the famous MOBA's. As mentioned, it is a subgenre of ARTS/RTS style platforms like Star Craft. So from there, it has evolved to DotA, LoL and so on which is better known as MOBA.

Edited by Zidovain

Would you be referring to Alterac Valley?? That was some crazy stuff there. I think it's a 16v16 or 20v20! lol

I loved that map. It’s what always been missing from swtor. The closest I’ve experienced that sort of fighting in swtor was the impromptu OWPVP battles we used to have in section x.

I loved that map. It’s what always been missing from swtor. The closest I’ve experienced that sort of fighting in swtor was the impromptu OWPVP battles we used to have in section x.

I watched some streams about the Alterac Valley you guys have mentioned and it really does look fun. 40v40 it does have a raid feel to it like what open world PvP in Oricon or on Ilum. It sure looks awesome! SWtor should really get in to it. :)

Although my personal take on it would be a max of 16v16 for the warzone and maybe a separate "event" map for a massive 40v40 clash.. O boy, I would really love to see something like this on SWtoR.

• 2 weeks later...
This certainly is an intriguing idea and I love how you laid it out. I'd say 10v10 would be a good number. It could even branch out into eventual free for alls amongst the bounty hunter or smuggler classes if they want to differentiate it between classes or factions. This is a cool idea and could be expanded on... I hope the devs listen to you, my friend.

Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA)

As the title says. I propose a warzone desigend as such. MOBA's is and have been a very popular gaming platform for years now. I would think, SWToR should tap in it. Yes yes, before any violent reactions, just hear me out for a bit :wea_01:

This is something that just hit me and I wanted to share it right away, that said, I wouldn't have in-depth mechanics in place to spice up your imagination. However I will have few details as how I imagine it to be in the typical MOBA style setting. That said, the map will have this typical layout:

http://i68.tinypic.com/orkow0.png

Mechanics:

1) 5v5 or 8v8??

2) There will only be a finite number of "creep waves". This will keep us in the 12-15 minute warzone like a civil war or a voidstar. So I'm thinking 3 to 5 waves.

3) Each wave gets stronger every time they spawn. May consist of Sith and Jedi, rancors, wampas, super droids and the likes. Finally a "HERO" will join the last and final wave. For the Empire it's (but not limited to) Darth Malgus and for the Republic it's (but not limited to) Satele Shan. Each HERO will remain at the base to defend it until the final wave where the hero will join the wave and go on the offensive.

4) The objective is to ultimately destroy the enemy base (shocker).

5) Players respawn at the base and the respawn time go up by 10 seconds every time they die. This will eventually allow one side to successfully make a "PUSH" into the base.

I know the idea is crude and the details are minimal. But I think it's enough to give us a picture of how it works. IMHO it can be really fun. :D

They yanked 8v8 years ago in this MMO because players could not get timely queue pops. What exactly has changed now that would address this issue? Nothing... in fact.. pops are probably less today then when they pulled 8v8.

In reality..... MOBA is not a good fit as a bolt-on for this MMO. If you want MOBA... go play one of the games that was built for it, rather then insist on some whacky bolt-on here. Besides.. if they did do this at some point... players would just rail on them for how they implemented it (no matter what) and then criticize them from not copying "game A" or "game B" approach.... etc. etc... because that is exactly how this player base behaves on just about any change or addition to the game.

Edited by Andryah

They yanked 8v8 years ago in this MMO because players could not get timely queue pops. What exactly has changed now that would address this issue? Nothing... in fact.. pops are probably less today then when they pulled 8v8.

In reality..... MOBA is not a good fit as a bolt-on for this MMO. If you want MOBA... go play one of the games that was built for it, rather then insist on some whacky bolt-on here. Besides.. if they did do this at some point... players would just rail on them for how they implemented it (no matter what) and then criticize them from not copying "game A" or "game B" approach.... etc. etc... because that is exactly how this player base behaves on just about any change or addition to the game.

Point taken and you are entitled to your opinion. You've aslo mentioned some points on why you disagree, but I just don't feel and see it that way. I, along with many others, are convinced that having this is good for SWtoR and its players. Not going to argue with you though.

This certainly is an intriguing idea and I love how you laid it out. I'd say 10v10 would be a good number. It could even branch out into eventual free for alls amongst the bounty hunter or smuggler classes if they want to differentiate it between classes or factions. This is a cool idea and could be expanded on... I hope the devs listen to you, my friend.

Thanks! I really do hope they would adopt this idea and it would be really nice if we get some feedback from BW and the likes of Keith and Eric :)

Many share our enthusiasm. This can really be a good add-on to what we already have. Right off the bat, players have a good vibe about it and knows it is going to be FUN! ;)

Think 5.9 is a little too soon.:p Hopefully in the "distant" future though. :)

It's just wishful thinking. But yeah, hopefully it gets implemented sooner rather than later :D

Edited by Zidovain