EA Might Lose Their Star Wars License?! What Does That Mean For SWTOR?

Ylliarus

Oh come on now. Star Wars is the same for EA as it is for Disney. A cash cow which is understandable.

Sometimes in video game development things don't go well. It's not like EA wanted to cancel the Visceral game.

Right...and EA has absolutely squandered their chance. Name all the Star Wars titles they've released the past 5-years...

Disney wants a helluva lot better return on their investment than what EA has given them. Star Wars games should be coming out every 6-months.

Edited by TUXs

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just woke up from a lovely sleep, grab my phone and Google shows me a link to this article:

http://www.cinelinx.com/game-rumors/item/11988-report-disney-lfl-talking-with-2-new-game-developers-for-star-wars.html

According to this article, Disney and Lucasfilm are unhappy with what EA has been doing with the franchise in the gaming world and are supposedly looking at ways to take the exclusive right to make Star Wars games away from them. Instead, according to the article, they are considering to give the right to make Star Wars games to Ubisoft or Activision.

So this is yet another rumour/article that shows there is a storm going on behind the scenes that we are barely aware of. But the important question I want to ask is what this will mean for SWTOR. If EA loses their right to make Star Wars games does that mean Bioware will have to shut down Star Wars The Old Republic? Or is there a possibility that the SWTOR title will be taken over by Ubisoft or Activision and continue under their care?

Activision ..... hehe.

Get ready for SUPPLY DROPS in SWTOR people!!!

(they completely ruined my beloved FPS game call of duty)

I just woke up from a lovely sleep, grab my phone and Google shows me a link to this article:

http://www.cinelinx.com/game-rumors/item/11988-report-disney-lfl-talking-with-2-new-game-developers-for-star-wars.html

According to this article, Disney and Lucasfilm are unhappy with what EA has been doing with the franchise in the gaming world and are supposedly looking at ways to take the exclusive right to make Star Wars games away from them. Instead, according to the article, they are considering to give the right to make Star Wars games to Ubisoft or Activision.

Taking away the exclusive rights doesn't mean they're taking away all rights and SWTOR is going to be shut down. It just means other companies will be allowed to make Star Wars games.

Edited by Screaming_Ziva

Right...and EA has absolutely squandered their chance. Name all the Star Wars titles they've released the past 5-years...

Disney wants a helluva lot better return on their investment than what EA has given them. Star Wars games should be coming out every 6-months.

And you really think any other company will do better and be totally generous and not try to squeeze out maximum profit?

Come on now. They had a single player game in development and the development was a mess. A former dev even called it a "mercy kill". Cancelling it was the only logical choice if nothing pointed towards a successfull production.

And you really think any other company will do better and be totally generous and not try to squeeze out maximum profit?

Come on now. They had a single player game in development and the development was a mess. A former dev even called it a "mercy kill". Cancelling it was the only logical choice if nothing pointed towards a successfull production.

Which is why they should probably put this "exclusive rights" experiment out of its misery after the EA deal runs its course in 2023. Let EA make Battlefront 6 or whatever while CD Projekt Red makes a Canon reboot of Force Unleashed while Blizzard makes an all new Star Wars RTS while Obsidian makes . . .

Which is why they should probably put this "exclusive rights" experiment out of its misery after the EA deal runs its course in 2023. Let EA make Battlefront 6 or whatever while CD Projekt Red makes a Canon reboot of Force Unleashed while Blizzard makes an all new Star Wars RTS while Obsidian makes . . .

Lmao CD Project Red. The CD Project Red wanking is so ridiculously stupid.

Yes I loved the Witcher trilogy and yes I love their consumer friendly-practices and wish them the best but they made three games, 3 games only and Cyberpunk is their first move to online territory. I wish CD Project Red the best but the wanking is getting out of hand.

And yes indeed the exclusive rights I think will be best to break. But I doubt many companies want to do Star Wars games.

4) Sorry OP.. but you fell for internet click-bait rumor and then came here echoed it. All that does is stir up circular firing squad behavior in the forum because people take rumors and prosecute them as fact, and any attempt to get them to look at it more objectively is attacked and denigrated.

That is entirely possible, I do not claim the article to be true or anything. It was just something I stumbled upon and was interested in sharing. I absolutely love Star Wars The Old Republic and want the game to flourish, so it definitely wasn't my intent to have the haters come here and spit on the game.

Also, to be clear, I am reading that there was another poster who had been spamming the forums with the same rumour earlier. To be clear, I am not that same poster and I wasn't aware there had been a poster spamming the forums with this rumour. I do apologise however for unknowingly and unwillingly spamming the same rumour they spammed. Had I known that something of the sorts had happened I would not have made this thread! :)

Edited by Ylliarus

Well, every six months would over saturate the market, but your point still stands. Two games a decade isn't cutting it.

Absolutely they will, I never suggested they shouldn't, they should try to milk us Star Wars fanatics dry...but I doubt anyone else will so reckless and careless with the Star Wars IP as EA has been. They've released 2 freaking games after 5 years and cut our staff down to what I can only assume is about a half a dozen people in total. I don't think you're going to find another company quite as brazen as EA has been.

Well, every six months would over saturate the market, but your point still stands. Two games a decade isn't cutting it.

I was thinking more along the lines of an adult focused game once a year and a kids game once a year...not all adult focused.

Absolutely they will, I never suggested they shouldn't, they should try to milk us Star Wars fanatics dry...but I doubt anyone else will so reckless and careless with the Star Wars IP as EA has been. They've released 2 freaking games after 5 years and cut our staff down to what I can only assume is about a half a dozen people in total. I don't think you're going to find another company quite as brazen as EA has been.

And this is something I don't understand. How is it possible that EA with all the money and resources they have at hand can't produce more Star Wars game than that? And for different genres? They don't even have to invent the wheel again - there are some great older Star Wars Games that they could kind of revamp. I would love to see a newer version or sequel of Star Wars Republic Commandos for example.

And this is something I don't understand. How is it possible that EA with all the money and resources they have at hand can't produce more Star Wars game than that? And for different genres? They don't even have to invent the wheel again - there are some great older Star Wars Games that they could kind of revamp. I would love to see a newer version or sequel of Star Wars Republic Commandos for example.

I think they just have bigger fish to fry with the NFL, NBA, FIFA etc...Star Wars is a small niche to them.

I don't think Disney is looking for alternatives because of gambling, they're looking because EA has absolutely squandered the IP. EA has only managed to release TWO Star Wars games...what the hell lol. Obviously Star Wars means nothing to EA, but it does mean something to Disney.

I agree, which is why I think the loot box issue is overblown. It's a great "sound bite" argument for those who have an axe to grind, but I doubt that Disney sees it as a "moral" issue.

As far as squandering the IP...I'm pretty sure they've released more than 2 SW games since 2013, but I can't imagine that Disney is happy with the current perception of Star Wars games as being at the center of the loot box controversy. Again, I think any concern Disney has is more related to appearances than anything else.

I think they just have bigger fish to fry with the NFL, NBA, FIFA etc...Star Wars is a small niche to them.

But then why bother at all with the Star Wars license? I don't know how expensive it was but I don't think it was cheap. Was it just to keep it off from competitors? They had to know that more movies would come and people looking for Star Wars games to play. Are there really more people interested in sports games compared to Star Wars?

Edited by Cawyden

Yes I do agree with your criticism. And like you said in another post. In comparison to their FIFA fandom, star wars is still a small dripple. They could loose the license and it would barely make a difference to their profit.

However they tried making a single player game with Visceral and it was a mess. This could happen to every single company out there.

Like I said, I do like what's there in the roadmap, I just want more of it.

But then why bother at all with the Star Wars license? I don't know how expensive it was but I don't think it was cheap. Was it just to keep it off from competitors? They had to know that more movies would come and people looking for Star Wars games to play. Are there really more people interested in sports games compared to Star Wars?

That would be my guess...the more exclusives EA has, the less choice YOU have.

I think EA had grander plans for the license, but things gang aft agley. And having an expensive and promising game (SWTOR) faceplant on launch can't have made the decisionmakers very happy.

Please explain. I've played several games during their launch and SWTOR's was probably the smoothest I've experienced. I've seen where others criticized the game's launch. But show me a game that launched with no problems and I'll buy you a tarisian ale in the cantina.